DiRTy Gossip

Scyy said:
Benniz said:
Right, my mate and co-driver, Simen, has gotten hold of a code for the PS4 version, so I had the chance to sit down some time with the game yesterday. Although his wheel isn't set up the way I want at all, I did enjoy the physics of the rallycross cars and landrush trucks. However: The rallying physics were a let down. I found most of the cars I drove way too grippy with a lot of understeer. I actually prefer the loose surface rallying physics of DiRT Rally over my experience with DiRT 4 so far. This was of course running the simulation handling mode. Of course, I'm not going to jump to the final conclusion before I get to test the game on my own setup and fiddle around with the car setups, but I was a little disappointed by that.
Just curious. Were you doing sim mode with no assets at all either?
Was driving in sim mode with no assists on at all. It's weird though, the physics in rallycross and landrush are good, rallying is something else.

Benniz said:
Scyy said:
Benniz said:
Right, my mate and co-driver, Simen, has gotten hold of a code for the PS4 version, so I had the chance to sit down some time with the game yesterday. Although his wheel isn't set up the way I want at all, I did enjoy the physics of the rallycross cars and landrush trucks. However: The rallying physics were a let down. I found most of the cars I drove way too grippy with a lot of understeer. I actually prefer the loose surface rallying physics of DiRT Rally over my experience with DiRT 4 so far. This was of course running the simulation handling mode. Of course, I'm not going to jump to the final conclusion before I get to test the game on my own setup and fiddle around with the car setups, but I was a little disappointed by that.
Was driving in sim mode with no assists on at all. It's weird though, the physics in rallycross and landrush are good, rallying is something else.
Which rally car(s)?

Lets see:
- Fiesta R2
- Fiesta R5
- Focus WRC
- Impreza WRC
- Impreza group N
- Audi S1
- Opel Ascona
- Lancia Delta S4
- Opel Adam
- Mitsubishi R5

Benniz said:
Scyy said:
Benniz said:
Oliver Solberg had said that rally physics weren't quite there yet in an RX stream once, and I remember asking if his concerns has been addressed. Never got an answer :(

Benniz said:
Scyy said:
Benniz said:
Oliver Solberg had said that rally physics weren't quite there yet in an RX stream once, and I remember asking if his concerns has been addressed. Never got an answer :(
Not being quite there yet, doesn't mean they aren't better than DR's physics.
We should find a rally driver who has experience with one of the cars in DR and D4 and e.g. Welsh stages in real life and let him drive both games.
Afterwards he can tell us which of the two games comes closer to the real deal.
Anybody knows someone like that?

Benniz said:
Scyy said:
Benniz said:
This made me wonder. People talking quite much about having too much grip so, could it have something to do with Rallycross using very detailed modelling of Cooper tyres (if i remember correctly, some RX driver even mentioned that new tyre modelling makes huge difference compared to DR).. maybe in Rally those tyre models aren't used? Or does there seem to be more differences in physics overall?

Any IRL rally drivers here could elaborate this situation more, is the feeling too different from real grip with modern tyres?

I won't comment anything more without testing this game, but with Dirt rally and other sims i've noticed that your FFB & wheel settings have their own (big) role on how "physics" feels and how your car seems to behave, etc. getting car into powersliding and controlling it. Depending how those are set, atleast for me made it possible to powerslide in Dirt Rally at all and before that i just could not make it happen without loosing rear or understeering.
FOV have it's own role too, especially when playing on big screen. Wheel response feels sluggish or fast depending how it is set-up.

This said, i don't question that there could be some underlying physics problems, which of course are worrying if it's so...

JZStudios said:
KickUp said:
LutzM said:
But the players car(s) must be saved anywhere else, I mean the ones that the player can edit himself in the branding suite...
Maybe it's easier to find/edit them...
Because the branding suite liveries are essentially a set of values, I believe they aren't really saved anywhere as a livery they are just a few bits of data. This means that when you load into a multiplayer race with 7 other players using their own branding suite liveries the system can display those opponents on your machine without a massive download. 
So... could we potentially swap out the logos for different/higher res ones?
from what i have seen from the videos and comparing to Grid Autosport (witch is the most recent codies games with something like a livery creator), im guessing the one in this game works somewhat the same, some base files with simple RGB colors that the game can decipher which is which and change their colors based on players choice, then some logos on other files that get placed over the base, but it looks like these files are encrypted somewhat like the F1 2016 game files, so my guess is that it is moddable only if we get access to the files inside the encrypted packages, i asked the maker of the PSSG editor that we use to change the textures on the game about this, he said its probably similar to the pkg files on the new f1 titles, and he said he is not sure if he can commit to anything. he is a lot busier these days

ShodanCat said:
Does anyone know if you can select "Manual Sequential or H-Pattern with clutch" like in Dirt Rally, where the option changes based on what car you're driving?
I saw the Sim Paddock Racing kid select it in his stream, so yep.

OFF TOPIC: Anyone see the RallyX  Nordic racing today?  Oliver Solberg drove Petter's DS3 again and beat a field of experienced rallycross drivers. Admittedly he has the best car, but it's still pretty impressive for a 15 year old!

Complete program here:

https://www.svtplay.se/video/13406020/motor-rallyx-nordic/motor-rallyx-nordic-3-jun-15-00

If you want to kill some DiRT 4 waiting time! 

tbtstt said:
OFF TOPIC: Anyone see the RallyX  Nordic racing today?  Oliver Solberg drove Petter's DS3 again and beat a field of experienced rallycross drivers. Admittedly he has the best car, but it's still pretty impressive for a 15 year old!

Complete program here:

https://www.svtplay.se/video/13406020/motor-rallyx-nordic/motor-rallyx-nordic-3-jun-15-00

If you want to kill some DiRT 4 waiting time! 
Oliver is amazing and a really nice kid in real life too. I have a feeling he's going to go on to achieve great things :)

For everyone worrying about the physics... I sincerely hope that once you play the game you'll see that it's an improvement over Dirt. It IS different so there's no escaping that but it's also (hopefully) better. The handling and physics team have done an outstanding job and I hope that you'll give it a chance :)

I'm thinking a lot of the comments will be from people who are used to DR thinking there's too much grip by comparison. It'd be best to have a rally driver who hasn't played DR try it for an unbiased opinion. Maybe opinions will change when everyone's had a while to get used to the game.

Best decide for ourselves to be honest. 

Iv yet to see someone driving proper aggressive like in DR.  

BadD0g said:
I'm thinking a lot of the comments will be from people who are used to DR thinking there's too much grip by comparison.
Maybe opinions will change when everyone's had a while to get used to the game.
That's my feeling as well. It's going to feel different from Dirt Rally because it's different from Dirt Rally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it's better and most people who have played it think it's an improvement (like Porkhammer and dgeesi0). Doesn't mean everyone will love it because you can't please everyone :D

(also, preconceptions play a part, e.g. this isn't what I expected it to be, therefore it's not as good)

BadD0g said:
I'm thinking a lot of the comments will be from people who are used to DR thinking there's too much grip by comparison. It'd be best to have a rally driver who hasn't played DR try it for an unbiased opinion. Maybe opinions will change when everyone's had a while to get used to the game.
I hope that's not the case, DR's grip levels were just ridiculous. If people used to THAT think D4's has too much grip, that means we have a huge problem. Fortunately from footage we've seen it doesn't look like it is anywhere near DR, it is improved vastly, also it's not something that cannot be fixed by fine tuning parameters by Codemasters. I agree cars seem to stick to the surface too much. That might explain why it is so difficult to see people powersliding, I am also worried about RWD after seeing Lancia 037 footage (I think I saw every single possible stream LOL).
On the other hand I saw some videos of cars behaving more realistic way (Subaru Gr. A for example, also Evo VI on tarmac- dry and wet), also RX physics seem to be really nice. Obviously I am waiting to get my hands on D4 before I post my actual impresions, I preordered so that will happen soon. I hope tuning the car's setup to oversteer a little bit more on loose stuff might make a difference. We'll see.
EDIT:
DAMN, I JUST NOTICED THAT IN MY CONFRIMATION E-MAIL I GOT FROM THE SHOP I PREORDERED THEY LISTED DIRT 4 AS AVALIABLE STARTING... THE 12TH! I cannot wait whole weekend, you Polish retailers :persevere:

I've had a lot of people asking me over the last few days my opinion of the physics in D4 over DR.

I personally think D4 is a big improvement over DR, and I have well over 1000 hrs in DR across two platforms. Ultimately, How something "feels" is down to the individual and how they think it should be.

Ironically, some said the physics in DR were wrong, and now Codemasters have gone and corrected it for D4, some people still say it's wrong!?  :D

It doesn't matter either way in a game. Even if they got it 100% accurate to real life, in a game, a minority will always say it is wrong. That is because it doesn't handle the way you think it should or it doesn't handle like the version previously.

Every time they change something, it's for the better. Don't fear change. Try it.

In this case. I honestly believe it's for the better.

I wish I could share some Impreza NR4 footage, it handles so nicely on the gravel. Very accurate and can be driven nice and aggressively  

SamRWD said:
BadD0g said:
I hope that's not the case, DR's grip levels were just ridiculous. If people used to THAT think D4's has too much grip, that means we have a huge problem. Fortunately from footage we've seen it doesn't look like it is anywhere near DR, it is improved vastly, also it's not something that cannot be fixed by fine tuning parameters by Codemasters. I agree cars seem to stick to the surface too much. That might explain why it is so difficult to see people powersliding, I am also worried about RWD after seeing Lancia 037 footage (I think I saw every single possible stream LOL).
On the other hand I saw some videos of cars behaving more realistic way (Subaru Gr. A for example, also Evo VI on tarmac- dry and wet), also RX physics seem to be really nice. Obviously I am waiting to get my hands on D4 before I post my actual impresions, I preordered so that will happen soon. I hope tuning the car's setup to oversteer a little bit more on loose stuff might make a difference. We'll see.
EDIT:
DAMN, I JUST NOTICED THAT IN MY CONFRIMATION E-MAIL I GOT FROM THE SHOP I PREORDERED THEY LISTED DIRT 4 AS AVALIABLE STARTING... THE 12TH! I cannot wait whole weekend, you Polish retailers :persevere:
Porkie's 2001 Impreza video in the rain was spectacular. It was the first video in which the handling made me say wow (not counting RX videos), although I would have hoped it behaved like that in the dry. 

One last point, I don't think people have really gone deep into the tuning aspect of things yet. That's going to change the way cars feel and handle too so you know, there are a lot of variables at play.

urgaffel said:
One last point, I don't think people have really gone deep into the tuning aspect of things yet. That's going to change the way cars feel and handle too so you know, there are a lot of variables at play.

This does actually make a huge difference to how the cars behave.

Evilsmurf said:

Ironically, some said the physics in DR were wrong, and now Codemasters have gone and corrected it for D4, some people still say it's wrong!?  :D

What's ironic about that? Let's say you make a rally game, but you make a mistake and you make cars go reverse instead of forward. Then you try to fix it, but this time cars move sideways. It is different from before, but it is still not correct. We had a huge topic going on in the past where we were discussing DR physics. Ironically some people said it was realistic. Now same people say Dirt 4 is realistic. That means since Dirt 4 is an IMPROVEMENT, DR was indeed not realistic and they were wrong since the beginning. Ironically ;)

SamRWD said:
Evilsmurf said:

What's ironic about that? Let's say you make a rally game, but you make a mistake and you make cars go reverse instead of forward. Then you try to fix it, but this time cars move sideways. It is different from before, but it is still not correct. We had a huge topic going on in the past where we were discussing DR physics. Ironically some people said it was realistic. Now same people say Dirt 4 is realistic. That means since Dirt 4 is an IMPROVEMENT, DR was indeed not realistic and they were wrong since the beginning. Ironically ;)
Realistic isn't black or white though. With that argument nothing is ever realistic as thing get patched, endless new tire models come out(looking at you AC) etc etc. Improvements can and will always be made to products that still deem themself as realistic. You can still call something realistic without being perfect.