DiRTy Gossip

ark13700 said:
@Porkhammer could you go to the latest VVV video of Dirt 4 and write a comment on what you feel about the handling model? In the video Kevin said it wasn't as hardcore as Dirt Rally and now almost all the comments are trashing the game and saying Motogp 17 is better etc. lol
What's a VVV?
I think he means this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb7bl5HXC7Y

Rygar86 said:
ark13700 said:
@Porkhammer could you go to the latest VVV video of Dirt 4 and write a comment on what you feel about the handling model? In the video Kevin said it wasn't as hardcore as Dirt Rally and now almost all the comments are trashing the game and saying Motogp 17 is better etc. lol
What's a VVV?
I think he means this...

Kaythanks.

Not really in the mood of looking into some random dude on youtube's comment section though, sorry ark13700. :P

ShodanCat said:
I have to say based on the footage I've watched so far, the stage complexity/challenge seems to come up short compared to what we had in Dirt Rally. Take a look at Greece with its super challenging narrow cliff-side sections, extremely tight hairpins, blind jumps etc then watch anything from Dirt 4, even with complexity cranked all the way up, and it looks a lot easier. There don't appear to be any width variations at all (or at least they're extremely minor) tight hairpins, 90* turns and such are quite uncommon. Australia and Michigan in particular look quite tame. It still looks *fun* and of course I appreciate the random construction immensely, but as someone who's been a hardcore rally game fanatic for a long time I was kinda hoping for a deeper challenge,
I'm guessing part of that has to do with your stage being so new. I'm betting with time they will be able to make even more technical stages. That being said to make the claim that it looks tame is pretty ridiculous. Highest complexity and length stages are 10 minutes plus on fast cars in some locations. Being on point flat out for that long even if the stages aren't quite as technical is going to be a challenge. And honestly I'll take it over the 12 stages we got in dirt rally any day of the week, once you memorized them it really isn't rally at heart.(and I really like dirt rally)

KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
SamRWD said:
The ONLY grip (;)) I have with crashes is damage other than visual. I hope on hardest level, the one you have to unlock,  crashes will be less forgiving. I saw people hit trees with a front of the car pretty hard, they were able to finish the stage with no problems. Also body deformation is really hard to do, would rather have other aspect of D4 refined. For me they are more than good enough. Maybe RX guys would like more due to the nature of RX races. 
And that's why 15 years old games (ie all gModor based ones) can show more deformation than than D4?
D4 cars are prone to brake apart rather then deformate.  But if there is no enough energy, then damage is barely visible (for example after roll).
Even D:R has more deformation than D4 shown on recent videos. Moreover deformation in D:R could be extended by using community mod. It proves that better deformation is in place, ready to use. But for some reasons suppressed by developers. And please don't say it's because of manufacturers demands.
It's because of manufacturer demands.

I agree our damage systems could be improved but it is all confined by the demands of the licensing agreements. I'd argue cars take more damage in DiRT than they do in many other current licensed racing titles but every time we release a game the manufacturers get stricter about damage not more lenient.
@kickup So does this mean Dirt 4's damage has been nerfed compared to Dirt Rally?
No, if anything the cars take a similar amount of damage but they get to their limits faster. Its how we've got around the limitations set. I think it is an improvement over what we had

Excellent! Thanks @KickUp :) I'm relieved to hear this. Can I another question please?

Some game play videos seem to be showing the AI being easy to beat by a rather large margin even on the harder difficulty (not fearless but the next one down). I was a bit concerned about this because in the videos where this was happening the driving was by no means a very high level with quite a lot of mistakes and generally not that fast and yet somehow the AI was beaten by around 15 seconds consistently, sometimes by even more. Admittedly in Dirt I can sometimes beat the Master AI by these kind of margins, but usually I have to drive a lot faster then what I've seen in these game play videos and without mistakes and not every stage, only on some stages can I do this, where other stages the margin will be way less or the AI will beat me by quite a bit. 

I thought that I read somewhere that the hardest AI setting below the fearless setting (sorry I don't know what its called, 'Demanding'?) was supposed to be equivalent to Master on Dirt Rally and that Fearless was a step above (the Old) Master level. But it doesn't seem to be that way when watching these videos.

Maybe I  misunderstood what I read in regards to how difficulty in D4 relates to Dirt Rally? The other thing I was thinking is that maybe what I was watching was career mode (cant quite remember) and that the easier than expected AI was due to it being early in the career and the events themselves had an effect on the AI level and as you progress it ramps up in difficulty in the bigger events.

If it does turn out that things are looking a bit too easy, will you guys be looking to increase the difficulty via an update like you did with Dirt Rally?
It is different. In DiRT Rally the fastest driver in all the difficulties wasn't the same. What changed was the Level of the other drivers. 

In DiRT 4 the drivers are of different skills in all difficulties and with Your Stage we have had to simulate the speed at which they can travel through the generated stages. As a result we have had to err on the side of caution to ensure that they can be beaten. 

I can't promise an update but we will be monitoring the times players are getting to see how they compare to the AI and that may lead to us making an adjustment. 
As always, thankyou for your reply @KickUp :) I am confident that you guys will make an adjustment if it is needed in the future, thats just how you guys roll and I highly respect your integrity as game developers.

Also I can appreciate that the brilliance that is Your Stage also end up makeing this part of your job (AI times) all the more challenging to perfect the first time;)

I am a little confused with a couple of things you said in your reply though and had a couple more questions to add below if you would not mind.

1) Did you mean to say that in Dirt Rally, the fastest AI driver was the same across all difficulty modes it was just the other drivers/times that got harder/faster with each jump in difficulty level? This is how I understood it.

2) Also, are you saying this is not the case in Dirt 4 and that every difficulty level has a different 'fastest driver' as well as a different speed of 'overall driver field' in each difficulty? Sorry to ask twice about these things but I just wasnt sure I understood :) BTW if this is the case, I think it is a better system for sure and would be happy about this.

3) Can you explain a bit about what the AI difficulty levels in Dirt are meant to offer in terms of challenge and also how they relate to the AI difficulty levels in Dirt Rally?

4) If you can as well please, also explain a bit more about the ominous sounding fearless mode!  :# Because one thing Im not sure of yet is the exact restrictions imposed by this difficulty level and if it restricts outside views as well as other things like the hud, and also, just how scary difficult are the AI compared to Dirt Rally!?

MaXyMsrpl said:
water drops on windshield are... improper. With repellents widely used, waterdrops would travel easly upwards, cleaning the windshield, improving visibility. Yeah, I know it would require additional codding and taking speed vector into account.
Have you ever been inside a car during heavy rainfall?
I disagree Pork. If you look at the top in front of the tinted sticker the water does sort of just sit there. I personally don't really care, but it does sort of look like globs of hot glue that don't really move much.

versedi said:
RookieOne said:
Preloading the game still not available in steam :(
Believe me, you'd rather have to download it once than having to download a patch half of it size on release date ;)

If you're going to download it on HDD beware of totally slow Steam decryption. On some drives, it's even slower than downloading depending on your bandwidth. 

So maybe I would be better off not pre-installing it and just waiting for the game to go live so what it downloads will not be encrpted at all and include the day one patch as well?

I wouldnt mind doing this really, because I can hopefully download it in a bit over an hour and thats not too much extra to wait especially if it avoids hassles and the possibilty of hard drive decription taking even longer than this!

I have an older Western Digital Black 7200rpm 320Gb drive that I will be installing D4, would this be a potential issue with decrption?

No, you shouldn't have an issue on that drive.
Cheers @F2CMaDMaXX :) So how long does decrytion take on a decent drive then? Im guessing if my drive is not too bad for this then Im better off pre-loading because it would be way less than an hour to decrypt?

I wouldn't think more than a few minutes unless your AV is b0rked, i would pre load it, it's not going to take the same or longer to decrypt it.

Rygar86 said:
ark13700 said:
What's a VVV?
I think he means this...

Here is my take on this video and some of the complaints:

I think a couple of comments by the guy in the video are being taken oit of context here. Partly because he doesnt explain in proper detail what he means and partly because people are perhaps jumping to conclusions.

1) Firstly when he is driving at the Dirt School free play section, he says it is not as hard core as Dirt Rally because its a lot easier to drift and hes not a very good drifter. But what he fails to realise is that its easier to drift because they have improved the significantly flawed tarmac physics of Dirt Rally not because they made it easier! He mentions earlier about the better tarmac physics but he fails to put 2 and 2 together and ends up making a misleading comment about the game being not as hardcore.

2) Secondly he says that the tracks are bland and not as detailed as Dirt Rally because of a lack of trackside objects. But Dirt rally never had huge amounts of trackside objects (although it did in places) and I dont see that Dirt 4 is overall too much different in this regard from what I have seen. Except for parts like in Germany or Finland were they rarely a couple had big crowd sections, it pretty much looks the same to me.

3) Thirdly he says its not as hardcore because the stages are smoother and not as bumpy and this is because they wanted everyone to be able to set good times, but I dont think they would purposely do that for such a reason, as it doesnt make much sense to purposefully dull things down for beginers and make that the standard for eveyone. Also, Im not sure there is a huge diference in track surface because Ive seen plenty of bumps like in Dirt 4 footage but I admit it seems there may be a little less bumpyness. This in my mind could just be an inherant part of making fictional stages as aposed to real life ones where they where able to measure every detail and then transfer it into the game with Dirt Rally. And remember some locations are going to be smoother than others and Greece had the most bumps in Dirt Rally but sadly is missing this time round and Michigan for example is never going to be as bumpy as this. D4 still looks like it has plenty of road surface detail and undulation even if its reduced from DR and Ive heard a couple of people who've played it already indicate it has good bumpyness.

But these are just my impressions based on what Ive seen and heard without actually playing it so far and I can only hope my observations about the handling and stage bumpiness are not far off.

Hopefully someone here who is actually playing D4 can tell me what they think and if Im right or wrong.

I wouldn't think more than a few minutes unless your AV is b0rked, i would pre load it, it's not going to take the same or longer to decrypt it.
Cheers @F2CMaDMaXX much appreciated :)

Stages are bumpier than in DR.                          
Thanks @F2CMaDMaXX this is awesome news, they looked a bit smoother on footage somehow (especially Wales) but Im very glad to hear that my impressions and theories are wrong. They are not just as good as DR they are better/bumpier :smiley: Bravo Codies! That really is an achievent considering these are all fictional and generated stages!

Makes me wonder what is with that video and the guy who has actually played it saying it is smoother? He must just be remembering things from DR differently or maybe he was just comparing everything to the goat tracks in Greece  :D

They're mixed, and i'm fairly certain the smoothness is based upon the complexity rating.

Also hoping someone can answer this comment I made to a user who is already playing D4 and gave feed back on Yoitube about lateral grip, here is what I asked him:

@aki1337 thanks for your comment here and for all your videos :) You said above "however lateral grip is higher than real life" are you also saying that the lateral grip is higher than it was in Dirt Rally? Or is it the same or even less than in Dirt Rally, ie "an improvement" as far as lateral grip goes?

Is there any issue here with Dirt 4 going backwards in this area of the physics compared to Dirt Rally?

They're mixed, and i'm fairly certain the smoothness is based upon the complexity rating.
Thats interesting, thanks @F2CMaDMaXX maybe we will get a bumpyness slider on Yourstage one day?

Im hoping that eventually we will get other controls over Yourstage in the future, elevation control being the main one for me.

Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
SamRWD said:
The ONLY grip (;)) I have with crashes is damage other than visual. I hope on hardest level, the one you have to unlock,  crashes will be less forgiving. I saw people hit trees with a front of the car pretty hard, they were able to finish the stage with no problems. Also body deformation is really hard to do, would rather have other aspect of D4 refined. For me they are more than good enough. Maybe RX guys would like more due to the nature of RX races. 
And that's why 15 years old games (ie all gModor based ones) can show more deformation than than D4?
D4 cars are prone to brake apart rather then deformate.  But if there is no enough energy, then damage is barely visible (for example after roll).
Even D:R has more deformation than D4 shown on recent videos. Moreover deformation in D:R could be extended by using community mod. It proves that better deformation is in place, ready to use. But for some reasons suppressed by developers. And please don't say it's because of manufacturers demands.

I agree our damage systems could be improved but it is all confined by the demands of the licensing agreements. I'd argue cars take more damage in DiRT than they do in many other current licensed racing titles but every time we release a game the manufacturers get stricter about damage not more lenient.
@kickup So does this mean Dirt 4's damage has been nerfed compared to Dirt Rally?
No, if anything the cars take a similar amount of damage but they get to their limits faster. Its how we've got around the limitations set. I think it is an improvement over what we had

Excellent! Thanks @KickUp :) I'm relieved to hear this. Can I another question please?

Some game play videos seem to be showing the AI being easy to beat by a rather large margin even on the harder difficulty (not fearless but the next one down). I was a bit concerned about this because in the videos where this was happening the driving was by no means a very high level with quite a lot of mistakes and generally not that fast and yet somehow the AI was beaten by around 15 seconds consistently, sometimes by even more. Admittedly in Dirt I can sometimes beat the Master AI by these kind of margins, but usually I have to drive a lot faster then what I've seen in these game play videos and without mistakes and not every stage, only on some stages can I do this, where other stages the margin will be way less or the AI will beat me by quite a bit. 

I thought that I read somewhere that the hardest AI setting below the fearless setting (sorry I don't know what its called, 'Demanding'?) was supposed to be equivalent to Master on Dirt Rally and that Fearless was a step above (the Old) Master level. But it doesn't seem to be that way when watching these videos.

Maybe I  misunderstood what I read in regards to how difficulty in D4 relates to Dirt Rally? The other thing I was thinking is that maybe what I was watching was career mode (cant quite remember) and that the easier than expected AI was due to it being early in the career and the events themselves had an effect on the AI level and as you progress it ramps up in difficulty in the bigger events.

If it does turn out that things are looking a bit too easy, will you guys be looking to increase the difficulty via an update like you did with Dirt Rally?
It is different. In DiRT Rally the fastest driver in all the difficulties wasn't the same. What changed was the Level of the other drivers. 

In DiRT 4 the drivers are of different skills in all difficulties and with Your Stage we have had to simulate the speed at which they can travel through the generated stages. As a result we have had to err on the side of caution to ensure that they can be beaten. 

I can't promise an update but we will be monitoring the times players are getting to see how they compare to the AI and that may lead to us making an adjustment. 
As always, thankyou for your reply @KickUp :) I am confident that you guys will make an adjustment if it is needed in the future, thats just how you guys roll and I highly respect your integrity as game developers.

Also I can appreciate that the brilliance that is Your Stage also end up makeing this part of your job (AI times) all the more challenging to perfect the first time;)

I am a little confused with a couple of things you said in your reply though and had a couple more questions to add below if you would not mind.

1) Did you mean to say that in Dirt Rally, the fastest AI driver was the same across all difficulty modes it was just the other drivers/times that got harder/faster with each jump in difficulty level? This is how I understood it.

2) Also, are you saying this is not the case in Dirt 4 and that every difficulty level has a different 'fastest driver' as well as a different speed of 'overall driver field' in each difficulty? Sorry to ask twice about these things but I just wasnt sure I understood :) BTW if this is the case, I think it is a better system for sure and would be happy about this.

3) Can you explain a bit about what the AI difficulty levels in Dirt are meant to offer in terms of challenge and also how they relate to the AI difficulty levels in Dirt Rally?

4) If you can as well please, also explain a bit more about the ominous sounding fearless mode!  :# Because one thing Im not sure of yet is the exact restrictions imposed by this difficulty level and if it restricts outside views as well as other things like the hud, and also, just how scary difficult are the AI compared to Dirt Rally!?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. We never set out to make them equivalent to DiRT Rally. They should offer the majority of players a decent challenge. 
4. It does restrict views and ups the AI difficulty but one of the biggest challenges is the removal of restarts. 

@Rygar86 I actually haven't played the game yet (wow, come to think of it my username is very similar to aki1337), just conveying what I observed from the guys in this forum to counter the overreacting comments. In that case I don't think I'm qualified to compare D4 to DR grip, but the difference is much more noticeable when compared to IRL footage.

Really, while it is healthy for gamers to point out criticisms in games so the devs can improve their product, I'm apprehensive of the possibility of Dirt 4 flopping in sales and reducing the chance of a sequel, since the brand is small compared to the likes of GT, Forza, NFS etc. which are backed by massive companies ensuring their survival.

I just remember Colin Mcrae 05, and Dirt 1-3 being part of my childhood. But compared to last gen, racing games this gen have been unexciting, consisting of either Forza or buggy disappointments. Funny enough, Dirt Rally was the only exception to that cycle, and before that I'd boot up Dirt 3 on the 360 and have more fun than in current gen racers.

ark13700 said:
@Rygar86 I actually haven't played the game yet (wow, come to think of it my username is very similar to aki1337), just conveying what I observed from the guys in this forum to counter the overreacting comments. In that case I don't think I'm qualified to compare D4 to DR grip, but the difference is much more noticeable when compared to IRL footage.

Really, while it is healthy for gamers to point out criticisms in games so the devs can improve their product, I'm apprehensive of the possibility of Dirt 4 flopping in sales and reducing the chance of a sequel, since the brand is small compared to the likes of GT, Forza, NFS etc. which are backed by massive companies ensuring their survival.

I just remember Colin Mcrae 05, and Dirt 1-3 being part of my childhood. But compared to last gen, racing games this gen have been unexciting, consisting of either Forza or buggy disappointments. Funny enough, Dirt Rally was the only exception to that cycle, and before that I'd boot up Dirt 3 on the 360 and have more fun than in current gen racers.
Haha, sorry @ark13700 I see my mistake now and why you thought I was referencing you, ill fix that now :D

KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. We never set out to make them equivalent to DiRT Rally. They should offer the majority of players a decent challenge. 
4. It does restrict views and ups the AI difficulty but one of the biggest challenges is the removal of restarts. 
@KickUp
2) Cool, that definitely sounds like a better system with varying 'fastest drivers' and an improvement on DR. :)

3) Okay I get you, sounds like you've changed things up quite a bit with the AI if there are no direct comparrisons that were designed or can be made between the 2 games in this area. I hope the level of AI challange is as good as DR or better but I will have to wait a few days to see :)

4) Thanks, I did not know about the restarts, that will make a difference! Thanks for letting me know about view restrictions, though Personaly Im not keen on this part of 'Fearless' (after I unlock it) because I drive chasecam and will have to learn another view if I want access to the highest AI challenge. :( Would like to see the option of the hardest 'fealess' AI to also be a 'normal' difficulty choice without those restrictions and the fearless to be that same AI level PLUS all the restrictions as a 'unique' difficulty choice. That way I wont miss out on getting spanked by the highest AI because of my querky car view preferences  :D 

Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
SamRWD said:

1. Yes
2. Yes
@KickUp
2) Cool, that definitely sounds like a better system with varying 'fastest drivers' and an improvement on DR. :)

3) Okay I get you, sounds like you've changed things up quite a bit with the AI if there are no direct comparrisons that were designed or can be made between the 2 games in this area. I hope the level of AI challange is as good as DR or better but I will have to wait a few days to see :)

4) Thanks, I did not know about the restarts, that will make a difference! Thanks for letting me know about view restrictions, though Personaly Im not keen on this part of 'Fearless' (after I unlock it) because I drive chasecam and will have to learn another view if I want access to the highest AI challenge. :(
We've tried to keep the top level as challenging while making things more accessible for new players. That has meant that the easier difficulty levels have been brought down significantly. 

With regards to Fearless. It's not for everyone. I don't play in Fearless as the stress is too much for me ;)

With this thread probably flooding and with the launch near I simply wanted to add a good luck to the team with the launch of Dirt 4! Sincerely hope it will be very well recieved! Looking forward to start playing it myself this friday :)