DiRTy Gossip

KickUp said:
With regards to Fearless. It's not for everyone. I don't play in Fearless as the stress is too much for me ;)
It's definitely not for me either. Forced interior cameras. Where did all my ARCADE go!?

KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
SamRWD said:
The ONLY grip (;)) I have with crashes is damage other than visual. I hope on hardest level, the one you have to unlock,  crashes will be less forgiving. I saw people hit trees with a front of the car pretty hard, they were able to finish the stage with no problems. Also body deformation is really hard to do, would rather have other aspect of D4 refined. For me they are more than good enough. Maybe RX guys would like more due to the nature of RX races. 
And that's why 15 years old games (ie all gModor based ones) can show more deformation than than D4?
D4 cars are prone to brake apart rather then deformate.  But if there is no enough energy, then damage is barely visible (for example after roll).
Even D:R has more deformation than D4 shown on recent videos. Moreover deformation in D:R could be extended by using community mod. It proves that better deformation is in place, ready to use. But for some reasons suppressed by developers. And please don't say it's because of manufacturers demands.
It's because of manufacturer demands.

I agree our damage systems could be improved but it is all confined by the demands of the licensing agreements. I'd argue cars take more damage in DiRT than they do in many other current licensed racing titles but every time we release a game the manufacturers get stricter about damage not more lenient.
@kickup So does this mean Dirt 4's damage has been nerfed compared to Dirt Rally?
No, if anything the cars take a similar amount of damage but they get to their limits faster. Its how we've got around the limitations set. I think it is an improvement over what we had

Excellent! Thanks @KickUp :) I'm relieved to hear this. Can I another question please?

Some game play videos seem to be showing the AI being easy to beat by a rather large margin even on the harder difficulty (not fearless but the next one down). I was a bit concerned about this because in the videos where this was happening the driving was by no means a very high level with quite a lot of mistakes and generally not that fast and yet somehow the AI was beaten by around 15 seconds consistently, sometimes by even more. Admittedly in Dirt I can sometimes beat the Master AI by these kind of margins, but usually I have to drive a lot faster then what I've seen in these game play videos and without mistakes and not every stage, only on some stages can I do this, where other stages the margin will be way less or the AI will beat me by quite a bit. 

I thought that I read somewhere that the hardest AI setting below the fearless setting (sorry I don't know what its called, 'Demanding'?) was supposed to be equivalent to Master on Dirt Rally and that Fearless was a step above (the Old) Master level. But it doesn't seem to be that way when watching these videos.

Maybe I  misunderstood what I read in regards to how difficulty in D4 relates to Dirt Rally? The other thing I was thinking is that maybe what I was watching was career mode (cant quite remember) and that the easier than expected AI was due to it being early in the career and the events themselves had an effect on the AI level and as you progress it ramps up in difficulty in the bigger events.

If it does turn out that things are looking a bit too easy, will you guys be looking to increase the difficulty via an update like you did with Dirt Rally?
It is different. In DiRT Rally the fastest driver in all the difficulties wasn't the same. What changed was the Level of the other drivers. 

In DiRT 4 the drivers are of different skills in all difficulties and with Your Stage we have had to simulate the speed at which they can travel through the generated stages. As a result we have had to err on the side of caution to ensure that they can be beaten. 

I can't promise an update but we will be monitoring the times players are getting to see how they compare to the AI and that may lead to us making an adjustment. 
As always, thankyou for your reply @KickUp :) I am confident that you guys will make an adjustment if it is needed in the future, thats just how you guys roll and I highly respect your integrity as game developers.

Also I can appreciate that the brilliance that is Your Stage also end up makeing this part of your job (AI times) all the more challenging to perfect the first time;)

I am a little confused with a couple of things you said in your reply though and had a couple more questions to add below if you would not mind.

1) Did you mean to say that in Dirt Rally, the fastest AI driver was the same across all difficulty modes it was just the other drivers/times that got harder/faster with each jump in difficulty level? This is how I understood it.

2) Also, are you saying this is not the case in Dirt 4 and that every difficulty level has a different 'fastest driver' as well as a different speed of 'overall driver field' in each difficulty? Sorry to ask twice about these things but I just wasnt sure I understood :) BTW if this is the case, I think it is a better system for sure and would be happy about this.

3) Can you explain a bit about what the AI difficulty levels in Dirt are meant to offer in terms of challenge and also how they relate to the AI difficulty levels in Dirt Rally?

4) If you can as well please, also explain a bit more about the ominous sounding fearless mode!  :# Because one thing Im not sure of yet is the exact restrictions imposed by this difficulty level and if it restricts outside views as well as other things like the hud, and also, just how scary difficult are the AI compared to Dirt Rally!?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. We never set out to make them equivalent to DiRT Rally. They should offer the majority of players a decent challenge. 
4. It does restrict views and ups the AI difficulty but one of the biggest challenges is the removal of restarts. 
@KickUp
2) Cool, that definitely sounds like a better system with varying 'fastest drivers' and an improvement on DR. :)

3) Okay I get you, sounds like you've changed things up quite a bit with the AI if there are no direct comparrisons that were designed or can be made between the 2 games in this area. I hope the level of AI challange is as good as DR or better but I will have to wait a few days to see :)

4) Thanks, I did not know about the restarts, that will make a difference! Thanks for letting me know about view restrictions, though Personaly Im not keen on this part of 'Fearless' (after I unlock it) because I drive chasecam and will have to learn another view if I want access to the highest AI challenge. :(
We've tried to keep the top level as challenging while making things more accessible for new players. That has meant that the easier difficulty levels have been brought down significantly. 

With regards to Fearless. It's not for everyone. I don't play in Fearless as the stress is too much for me ;)
@KickUp I see what you mean, and this makes sense if the DR level challenge is still there. Haha, maybe it should be called 'Panic Mode' :D  But apreciate your candid response, Im sure it will stress me plenty too!

Maybe I can do Yoga between stages and become 'fearless'? :D

P308R said:
With this thread probably flooding and with the launch near I simply wanted to add a good luck to the team with the launch of Dirt 4! Sincerely hope it will be very well recieved! Looking forward to start playing it myself this friday :) 
Thanks  :)

KickUp said:
It's definitely not for me either. Forced interior cameras. Where did all my ARCADE go!?

It's getting to the point where this thread becomes the bitch and moan thread, and we gossipers must flee like a flock of migrating birds to Bear's happy place in fear of all the new users.

It's getting to the point where this thread becomes the **** and moan thread, and we gossipers must flee like a flock of migrating birds to Bear's happy place in fear of all the new users.
I thought this page was rather civil at least...

Please don't restrict views in Fearless mode!

I loved the challenge in Dirt Rally and played all the way to master difficulty. But I play with a controller and it feels incredibly unintuitive to play in-car view with one. With a wheel, I think I'd prefer in car, but not with a controller pad.

So please allow chase cam in Fearless, pretty please with a cherry on top :) 

Part 6 in Apex Hounds Dirt 4 series, certainly no shortage of D4 footage any more :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18FeM-5oZs

Release trailer.
Congrats DiRT Team! Another baby born.

Thank you for making my life unproductive and wasting life into games for another few thousand hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFvPGSyWTY

Epic RX final with collapsed suspension in the end.

https://youtu.be/HAbOXp3kU-o

Here it is boys, ACG's review on Dirt 4.
Pretty much exactly what I was expecting, but his comment on the music was a surprise ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJHkjYDTR-U

Spoilers: "Absolutely a buy"

Very amusing how people judge a game by watching videos....

@KickUp : Will there be a workshop like in DR or any other way to share car setups?

LutzM said:

@KickUp : Will there be a workshop like in DR or any other way to share car setups?
Yeah you can share setups but you don't need to use Steam workshop to do it so it is available to use on all platforms.

Why not?
This is the reason why review videos are created for. Games are not the only domain which is reviewed this way

Thanks for the quick answer Paul!
Can't wait for Friday...

LutzM said:

When a company is offering a pre-order incentive, pray by what other method are we supposed to make judgement on whether to do so?

MaXyMsrpl said:
Why not?
This is the reason why review videos are created for. Games are not the only domain which is reviewed this way
Regarding graphics and menu options it's ok, but when it comes to the handling of the cars ingame it alwyas makes me laugh...
You definitely can't judge about handling or physics by watching a video. There are so many different settings in this game and whatever settings you use, the result ingame will be different.

Harsh review from Games Radar.

I completely disagree even though I ain't played yet.
IMO he's just a noob who should git gud.

Forza funboy.
It’s a decent and capable modern racing game, but one that’s demonstrably outshone by Forza Horizon 3 and Driveclub in almost every way.
http://www.gamesradar.com/dirt-4-review/

http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/06/06/dirt-4-review
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/dirt-4-review/1900-6416693/

noice

versedi said:
Harsh review from Games Radar.

I completely disagree even though I ain't played yet.
IMO he's just a noob who should git gud.

Forza funboy.
It’s a decent and capable modern racing game, but one that’s demonstrably outshone by Forza Horizon 3 and Driveclub in almost every way.
http://www.gamesradar.com/dirt-4-review/

Yeah that guy is making unfair comparisons, the Gamespot and IGN ones are much more fair

LutzM said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
Why not?
Regarding graphics and menu options it's ok, but when it comes to the handling of the cars ingame it alwyas makes me laugh...
You definitely can't judge about handling or physics by watching a video. There are so many different settings in this game and whatever settings you use, the result ingame will be different.
You can. You can do it in real world, so why not in case of game? Assuming that replays represents exactly what happen to the car, you can judge how close to reality it is. Of course you can say nothing about FF sensations. But videos can show a lot about car behaviour.

Eurogamer has reservations and concerns, but "It's a very different type of Dirt, but I think a lot of people are going to be alright with that."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-06-dirt-4-review

Finally did my first "your stage" set up. Took my trophy car R5 Hyundai through the longest possible setting and a mildly complex heavy rain midday Wales. And it was DELICIOUS! Felt like I was playing the dirt I should have been playing 2 (3?) Years ago! Had one corner go exceptionally well and have it uploading to DVR now. Will share later this afternoon. 

MaXyMsrpl said:
LutzM said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
Why not?
You can. You can do it in real world, so why not in case of game? Assuming that replays represents exactly what happen to the car, you can judge how close to reality it is. Of course you can say nothing about FF sensations. But videos can show a lot about car behaviour.
@MaXyMsrpl Dont let your self be trolled, if @LutzM wanted a constructive conversation, he would have directed his comment at someone directly, best just to ignore it.