DiRTy Gossip

bogani said:
TuliRally said:
I don't understand why the RX physics aren't the same as the rally physics. 
I would also like to know is there differences and what under the hood, and do rally cars also use same Cooper tire model & info that is used in RX or something else.
Wrote this on another thread also, but i'm just curious about this.

Game itself will be great anyway, but to me there is just something wonderful to know how things work and why. That's why the curiosity. (Especially when people are praising RX, and you would think the handling be the same with Rally (gravel & tarmac in both), but those are quite different cars though...)

Edit: now just read about Dirtfish areaa gravel feeling different. Interesting
Umm.. anybody that has the game. Was there a way to make your own "stages" to Dirtfish area, or is my memory pulling tricks on me again.? Some timed events or similar
Dirtfish contains mostly tarmac plus what I would assume tarmac with some loose gravel over it. There is also a section with more gravel, but I guess it's a different type of gravel to what's on the actual stages.

It's great fun throwing the cars around in Dirtfish, I can do that all day long :)
That sounds great! Dirtfish is something i'm waiting quite a lot. Hoping to do some cross-class rally testing there. Choosing routes as stages, timing them (old school if i need to) while driving different car classes to see which is fastest overall. 
Can R5 win RX cars, how fast will crosscarts be etc.

TuliRally said:
KickUp said:
TuliRally said:
I would also like to know is there differences and what under the hood, and do rally cars also use same Cooper tire model & info that is used in RX or something else.

Game itself will be great anyway, but to me there is just something wonderful to know how things work and why. That's why the curiosity. (Especially when people are praising RX, and you would think the handling be the same with Rally (gravel & tarmac in both), but those are quite different cars though...)
The Cooper tyre model is only used in RX. It's a crossply tyre and is quite different to what is used in Rally and Landrush. 
Thanks for the quick answer again and bringing these facts up. 
It's really great to see the amount of work done to make it correct especially when it is so unique to RX vs other disciplines in the game. I think it shows some serious dedication from the devs side!
And i have now learned something new again!

Would you like or consider to work similarly in-depth what you did with Cooper, with some manufacturer regarding Rally tires in future or have you even already done so? 

Absolutely but the data is not readily available.
The rigs used to test tarmac tyres simply don't apply to loose surfaces as they are designed to simulate an abrasive sealed surface.
How a gravel tyre cuts into a loose surface is entirely different. Then there is the incredibly complex matter of the depth and density of the loose surfaces that the tyre cuts into. 
This is why we rely on drivers like Kris Meeke giving us feedback on how the cars feel on the various loose surfaces. He has a great deal of experience competing in a number of modern and classic cars that we represent in game. He helped us refine the experience to what we have today. 

KickUp said:
TuliRally said:
KickUp said:
TuliRally said:

The Cooper tyre model is only used in RX. It's a crossply tyre and is quite different to what is used in Rally and Landrush. 
Thanks for the quick answer again and bringing these facts up. 
It's really great to see the amount of work done to make it correct especially when it is so unique to RX vs other disciplines in the game. I think it shows some serious dedication from the devs side!
And i have now learned something new again!

Would you like or consider to work similarly in-depth what you did with Cooper, with some manufacturer regarding Rally tires in future or have you even already done so? 

Absolutely but the data is not readily available.
The rigs used to test tarmac tyres simply don't apply to loose surfaces as they are designed to simulate an abrasive sealed surface.
How a gravel tyre cuts into a loose surface is entirely different. Then there is the incredibly complex matter of the depth and density of the loose surfaces that the tyre cuts into. 
This is why we rely on drivers like Kris Meeke giving us feedback on how the cars feel on the various loose surfaces. He has a great deal of experience competing in a number of modern and classic cars that we represent in game. He helped us refine the experience to what we have today. 
I think that's one of the most honest answer from game-dev-prod I've ever read in my life. 

This is how devs should dooo it

Areyouben said:
But don't the cars have tarmac tires on at the Dirtfish area? That would explain the more slippery handling on the gravel there compared to the stages.
No, they're on Gravel tyres.
Then there is definitely too much grip in DirtFish on tarmac IMO

Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)

I sincerely hope the DiRT team will be monitoring for feedback on things like grip levels, FFB, etc for D4 updates.

urgaffel said:
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.

https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.

urgaffel said:

7 times.

Here's the roll. 
Looks like your car looked at its rolling tyres and wanted to join in the fun

urgaffel said:

7 times.

Here's the roll. 
Phone-on-a-stick guy better upload that video, I want to see that perspective.  :D

I love the way the cars "catch" on the ground and spin when they roll sideways now. In DR rolls never looked quite right.

urgaffel said:

7 times.

Here's the roll. 
What I find interesting is how far down the road you go before rolling. How confused did it make you?

JZStudios said:
urgaffel said:

7 times.

Here's the roll. 
What I find interesting is how far down the road you go before rolling. How confused did it make you?
Hah pretty confused. When you are in dashcam mode it was so close I thought i would hit it. I said to myself "wtf?" and completely missed hearing that Left 4 call.

Also, I was day-drinking, so... :)

Coffee didn't hit in yet, wrong thread nevermind.

Some gossip...Some gossip...Some gossip...

P.S. Pretty good sum up on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6fpzb2/dirt_4_as_seen_by_average_dirt_rally_player/

DiRT 4 - Simulation VS Gamer Handling (Australia) w/Thrustmaster Wheel Cam 

Big difference in stage times between Sim and Gamer mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UMcFqJC_Y

versedi said:
Coffee didn't hit in yet, wrong thread nevermind.

Some gossip...Some gossip...Some gossip...

P.S. Pretty good sum up on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6fpzb2/dirt_4_as_seen_by_average_dirt_rally_player/

Best review I've read so far thanks. Disappointed that hear you can't just do an any car any stage, but that might just be me misinterpreting. Rest sounds good or what I was expecting (re: Your Stage) and, unlike all these press reviews that don't answer any of my questions, this covers what I wanted to know.

Pre-order going in, but hopes and expectations tempered somewhat.

I have witnessed bunnies!                                           

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJeRw4EKuM

thats probably what i seen on wales i seen a group of some animal but i was going too fast to see :D . i wonder what other animals we can run over :p

seen the drone a few times nearly dinged off the car.really good touch.my fav is the low flying helicopter and its so low that is stirs all the dust. B)

Rygar86 said:

the thing is if you pushing as fast as you can go you will be faster if you can drive  well in sim mode.maybe with having a few of the things off actually made him slower due to the handling is harder.so arcade suited him.

i did a track with just a couple of added things in sim mode and i was about 3 seconds slower.so all of sim mode .

dgeesi0 said:
Rygar86 said:

the thing is if you pushing as fast as you can go you will be faster if you can drive  well in sim mode.maybe with having a few of the things off actually made him slower due to the handling is harder.so arcade suited him.

i did a track with just a couple of added things in sim mode and i was about 3 seconds slower.so all of sim mode .
There is a big difference between assisted sim mode and gamer. You can brake later, turn in later, carry more speed through corners in gamer. A quick person in gamer should be faster, no doubt.

we will see soon  ;)                                                                                            

I have witnessed bunnies!                                           

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJeRw4EKuM

Awesome. I spotted a flock of bright green parrots fly across me in Australia at sunset today.
Love these details.

@KickUp:
Already (pre)downloading via steam.
Is the Day One Update already included or will it load the new files on friday?
I'm asking because the internet is much faster here at the office (33,2 GB in 1h) - so I would leave my PC here until friday.

My eyes bleed from reading Metro.co.uk review.

DiRT 4’s approach is immediately disappointing because instead of a clever blend of realism and arcade stylings the game starts with a very blunt proposition: do you want to play in ‘Simulation’ or ‘Gamer’ mode? The latter is described as only playing for fun, as if fun was a dirty word and not something realistic race games should also aspire to. Maybe some people do feel that way, but they’ve already got DiRT Rally and the attitude poisons DiRT 4’s attempts to carve its own identity.
There’s some interesting management elements, where you have to balance the books, deal with advertisers, and hire and fire staff, but it’s all a bit by-the-numbers and lacking in pizazz

What? It's a f***** rally game, not a Pizza Syndicate SimFarm.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Don't read it. Waste of time.

Codemasters would’ve been much better off either making DiRT Rally 2 or ensuring DiRT 4 was a full-on arcade racer from the start.

But then he goes with Pros:

Pros: The Simulation handling model is great and there’s plenty of content in terms of modes and randomly-generated tracks. Gamer mode is less distinctive but very accessible.

Schizophrenia?