DiRTy Gossip

Just wanted to thank the person that thought: 'Hey, that last name field could be 2 characters longer'. Finally I can put in my full last name :)

urgaffel said:
Water is probably the water shader, not the splashes since they are actually particles.
Hmm.. the water didn't look much different to me either. Oh well, I'll just leave it on low I guess.

WRC 5 and WRC 6 also have this method of separating input devices. You can have separate settings and assignments for controller and wheel. While it does seem counter-intuitive at first, I am glad that Codies has also implemented this and would like to see something similar in Project CARS 2 and other racing games. Here is why I think it is important to have everything separated:

In DiRT Rally, if I ever booted up the game on my PS4 without the wheel plugged in, I lost all of my wheel settings and button assignments. My wheel is stowed in the TV cabinet so I only set it up if it's gonna be a one hour + gaming session. What I could never do with DR was whip out my controller real quick to knock off a daily event for credits, for example. Loading DR with the wheel unplugged meant configuring the wheel from scratch later on. Really annoying.

I think Codies is on to something here, and I like it.
Hmm, well 2 things;
1. We don't talk about those abominations here
2. I never had that problem with DR. It always saved my wheel setup switching back and forth from controller. Pretty sure it also had controller settings you could save, which would also fix that problem. I agree it could be useful, but it's funky, and I don't like that I have a separate menu for my pedals, wheel, and keyboard. If I ever get the shifters USB cable so I can use 7th gear it would add a 4th menu I'd need to use. Just being able to save presets and have everything in one menu would work fine.

urgaffel said:
Adds it to the list for future reference

• Koalas
  • Fireflies
I don't understand how you did Australia without Koalas. Please tell me you got Kangaroos at least... or some crocs in some water hazards?

On a separate topic, I'm now grateful that when I switch into a sequential gearbox I don't need to change the controls. This is mitigated however by now needing to go into the menu to switch from h-patter+clutch to sequential. I guess I'm just glad I don't have to do both?
Can we get that feature of realistic shifters added back in @KickUp ?

maaan why the .nefs files? im so sad, i neeed to mod it :'(
I don't know what this means at the moment, but it's the best I could find. Going to try later.
http://aluigi.altervista.org/bms/codemasters_nefs.bms
this is a script for quickBMS, a game files unpacker, i tried that script it didn't work, unless im doing something wrong

Scyy said:

The feeling of the car and weight transfer is so much better than dirt rally. I'm honestly questioning how people are calling this arcade, yes the back grips a bit much but properly applied left foot braking and throttle control gets the car turning in just fine. The hand brake definitely feels like it should be getting the car more unstable but I didn't use the hand brake much and used flicks and left foot braking to get turned in on dirt rally so this fits my driving style anyway.

This.
You can throw a car in power slides but it requires a brake control to transfer the weight of the car to front wheels and the steering in the right moment. It's harder, just like it is IRL. You can't just steer left 20 degrees and have full power slide going. It doesn't work like that.   

I think people got used so much to RBR and DR style of handling they won't accept it easily. FYI I didn't tried any RWD or Group B yet, so I'm talking about Group A and R5 mainly. 

versedi said:
Scyy said:

The feeling of the car and weight transfer is so much better than dirt rally. I'm honestly questioning how people are calling this arcade, yes the back grips a bit much but properly applied left foot braking and throttle control gets the car turning in just fine. The hand brake definitely feels like it should be getting the car more unstable but I didn't use the hand brake much and used flicks and left foot braking to get turned in on dirt rally so this fits my driving style anyway.

This.
You can throw a car in power slides but it requires a brake control to transfer the weight of the car to front wheels and the steering in the right moment. It's harder, just like it is IRL. You can't just steer left 20 degrees and have full power slide going. It doesn't work like that.  
Oh...

https://youtu.be/-KqS_m2HlsU

versedi said:
Scyy said:

This.

I think people got used so much to RBR and DR style of handling they won't accept it easily. FYI I didn't tried any RWD or Group B yet, so I'm talking about Group A and R5 mainly. 
Same here, I will be interested in how the rwd cars feel. That's the one class I could see the rear grip being a truly big negative. I'm loving the feel of the group a cars though.

KevM said:
versedi said:
Scyy said:

This.
Oh...

https://youtu.be/-KqS_m2HlsU
You didn't catch my edit. 
It's an RWD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe

I didn't tested yet  any RWD or Group B. 

I feel as though people are jumping to saying that the handling is 'arcade' or not as good as dirt rally. Remember dirt rally wasn't perfect. Although I haven't played it properly yet and not on my own wheel, I think overall there have been many improvements, but people seem to be focussing too much on things like the rear end grip to notice them

This should be the only really interesting part for us here as the rest is a career walkthrough and merchandise, but everyones been talking about the handling and Paul adresses this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT7g5fqh8Ec&feature=youtu.be&t=30m37s

Etirion said:
This should be the only really interesting part for us here as the rest is a career walkthrough and merchandise, but everyones been talking about the handling and Paul adresses this here
30:20
https://youtu.be/wT7g5fqh8Ec?t=1820

Got my first Terminal Damage in Sweden today. 
All the wheels stayed on, in fact I don't know if I've seen a wheel come off yet? 

Got my first Terminal Damage in Sweden today. 
All the wheels stayed on, in fact I don't know if I've seen a wheel come off yet? 
I blew a tire clean off a trophy truck in Dirtfish... not sure about the entire wheel though...

Etirion said:
That explanation makes perfect sense. I feel so bad for the fact that cm is having to deal with all this internet drama over one little aspect while completely ignoring all the improvements.

Scyy said:
Etirion said:
That explanation makes perfect sense. I feel so bad for the fact that cm is having to deal with all this internet drama over one little aspect.
Havent watched yet, but how can handling in a driving game, be a 'little aspect'?

Big hype, big expectations, big drama. That's how it works. Can't please everyone at the start, it's always like that with any game I've seen released.

IMO DiRT Team has done a great job. 

Okay, back to my cave for another 8 hours. 

Very nice response from guys in above video.
My suggestion is when test drives with RL drivers is not to ask them to drive what we have now and ask what to change, but to provide 2-3 physics sets and ask which one feels the most realistic and tune it from there. Otherwise drivers who don't have any sim experience have no idea what the platform is capable of. They migh think it is really nice, because they don't know it is capable of being more than that. Graphics themselves are so gorgeous in D4, that they alone might render whole xperience immersive despite physics needing adressing.

My constructive imput is going to be very simple- I will record breaking high speed into full stop in wet Wales, and show RL onboard showing how grip levels make cars in Dirt break over very short distance.
I will also show how RL cars have no problem sliding low speed tight corners even with next to no throttle, while in D4 it is impossible. Hope that will help devs understand the problem. 

Cheers!

Sounds like my copy of dirt 4 has arrived back home!

Unfortunately we failed scruitineering on our rally, hoping to get things sorted so we can get out to the forests tomorrow!
What happened?

KevM said:
Scyy said:
Etirion said:
That explanation makes perfect sense. I feel so bad for the fact that cm is having to deal with all this internet drama over one little aspect.
Havent watched yet, but how can handling in a driving game, be a 'little aspect'?
It's one aspect of the handling which on a whole feels better than dirt rally. Your use of hyperbole is ridiculous.

versedi said:
Scyy said:

This.

The think is right now you don't have to powerslilde, you can go around without loosing much grip. The problem is in real life you powerslide to go through the corner more quickly on loose surface. In Dirt you can drive it needly and tightly and that is the quickest way in the game. It is not realistic and that keeps immersion out of the game. Like I mentioned before all the reviews from sim people say the game is really amazing, Your Stage is a game changer, but EVERY SINGLE opinion mentiones how grip takes fun out of the game for them (us). 

We thank you!                                       

SamRWD said:
versedi said:
Scyy said:

This.

The think is right now you don't have to powerslilde, you can go around without loosing much grip. The problem is in real life you powerslide to go through the corner more quickly on loose surface. In Dirt you can drive it needly and tightly and that is the quickest way in the game. It is not realistic and that keeps immersion out of the game. Like I mentioned before all the reviews from sim people say the game is really amazing, Your Stage is a game changer, but EVERY SINGLE opinion mentiones how grip takes fun out of the game for them (us). 
That's the quickest way to drive in real life. Have you ever seen Loeb or Ogier drive in wrc? Generally neat and tighty has been quickest in rally since the 2000s.

Sounds like my copy of dirt 4 has arrived back home!

Unfortunately we failed scruitineering on our rally, hoping to get things sorted so we can get out to the forests tomorrow!
What happened?
Driver's seat was out of date by 8 days! Someone told us of a guy not too far away who had seats for sale though, so we've managed to get a new one in and are all sorted now!

The game is fantastic and it will continue to get better. Been playing MP all evening and its a blast despite the added pressure making me make more mistakes than usual especially in the i20 community challenge. Currently sitting 9th but I made some big errors. Thats rally for you!

So I'd like to share my initial impressions too after the first few hours:
- YourStage seems to be the game-changer it'd been advertised as. Although I rerecognise some corners here and there, you never know/learn whats coming behind the next crest and really have to listen to your copilot. Initial tests also show a distinct difference between high and low complexity stages.
- Tarmac physics are indeed greatly improved, actually feels plausible now compared to real life with actual grip and heavier force feedback. Sliding on tarmac is no longer a fast alternative, and that's how it should be.
-Gravel and snow: Well... It is better in some ways, especially weight feeling and jumps and the feeling for the momentum of the car. But something fishy is going on at the rear end. Which feels like to much grip, especially once you start under or oversteering. My suspicion is, that maybe the aerodynamics aren't reduced enough once you start sliding. So you might get pressed onto the floor as if you were traveling straight. In RL the aero force 'should' (I suspect anyway) go down, once the angle of attack of the air onto the wing/diffusor etc. exceeds stall-limits and creates more turbulence than downforce. Haven't tested that theory enough though, but cars with less aero, seem to behave more predictable (H2 Peugot or Fulvia).
But overall it is still very much a simulation, unlike what some people ranted around. Just needs a little finetuning. But I already have great fun.

Just did the i20 Invitational and recorded the first stage, for those who haven't preordered and are curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Hrhy9aEFs

Sadly i catched a bush near the end, destroying the otherwise good run. Although, judging by the damage, it was more of a hinkelstein disguised as a bush XD

SamRWD said:
(...)
My constructive imput is going to be very simple- I will record breaking high speed into full stop in wet Wales, and show RL onboard showing how grip levels make cars in Dirt break over very short distance.
I will also show how RL cars have no problem sliding low speed tight corners even with next to no throttle, while in D4 it is impossible. Hope that will help devs understand the problem.
It's exactly what I wrote in another thread about checking physics against corner conditions.
But to be honest I believe they know those numbers and did to the game what they did intentionaly.