DiRTy Gossip

KevM said:
I know the gossip thread has always been a bit Unconventional in its running topics & atmosphere 
but....

Page not found! :'(

Who are you? 
I'm a forum member stating their point of view on how some people are behaving here.  Ganging up on an individual for having a differing opinion is not very welcoming in my opinion.

Sorry if that offends your delicate nature.
There are plenty of threads to do what you're doing right now.
I've got two  three questions for you:
  1. What's your purpose?
  2. Couldn't you choose any other thread to offend most of the people that are following DiRT Team's work, and are really committed to the community here and everywhere else?
  3. What were you expecting by bashing in the most popular thread in the inner community in this discussion board? 

Staff / Engineers / PR rep:

Anyone else inventing first names based of their first initial?
That's how I hire them. I have Robert Altman wrenching on my cars in Dirt Rally, and Umberto Eco driving trucks for me in ETS2. 

Who are you? 
I'm a forum member stating their point of view on how some people are behaving here.  Ganging up on an individual for having a differing opinion is not very welcoming in my opinion.

Sorry if that offends your delicate nature.
I like my delicate nature.
It feels like butterflies caressing my naked body.

@KickUp
Hi! I have a question- does Subaru STi NR4 that we drive in Dirt Academy training use signifficantly different setup than default it comes with in gravel rallies? How about the tyres? Are those the same gravel tyres that we get to use in rally events?  I am trying to figure out why cars behave different in Dirt Academy training. Unless you can give a ready answer, that would be even better. 

Loving the game,

parkerface said:
The group think and feelgood mining is this thread is disgusting and borderline sycophantic.  :|

Sort yourselves out.

parkerface said:

sycophant.

Oh! welcome to the forums ;) :)

SkyRex said:
Was initially sad, that my for-all-livery looked acceptable on all my cars, except the Subi. Now I unlocked the Prodrive Livery and got a beautiful substitute. It really looks good.
I also tried to emulate Finland with YourStage and I'm quite satisfied with the result. Not 'quite' finland, but the feeling is close and it's surely different from typical Wales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SeYK5PmHZY

That track looks like a ton of fun, I hope you saved it

So @KickUp I was curious. is there a site yet for looking at online event standings and overall leader boards? Or is that something coming down the line? I've looked around online but couldn't find anything.

i dont like how the stage timer starts right away, i preferred how in dirt rally it waited till you pulled the hand break

Hey guys, having lots of fun with Dirt Rally Dirt 4 atm and will report more on this soon! But I just have a quick question about Your Stage, when I try moving the complexity slider (and similarly the length slider)  I can really only achieve 5 positions (or set notches). Its basicaly: 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%, I thought that we would have a slider we could place almost anywhere on the line, this kind of seems limited?

I see the same kind of thing on some of the 'Tuning Setup' sliders, some have plenty of notches, more like in Dirt Rally but some have the same '5 Notches' sytem as above (like the 'brake force slider' on almost every Vehicle I have tried so far), and some even have only 3 notches (0%, 50% and 100%) for other things like some of the Differentials etc.

Its not on every tuning slider (thankfully) but it seems even the ones with many more positions are reduced quite a bit from all the settings in Dirt Rally. I really like the extra positions I had to choose from in Dirt Rally and this feels kind of strange to me  :/ 

Anyone else know what I mean?

@KickUp Can I ask what is the reason for this change? (as far as the tuning sliders) Is it meant to be more realistic than in Dirt Rally, which was maybe 'less real' with way more positions than IRL?

Also, was there a limitation or complication with 'Your Stage' to prevent more variable positions with the sliders there?

Scyy said:
So @KickUp I was curious. is there a site yet for looking at online event standings and overall leader boards? Or is that something coming down the line? I've looked around online but couldn't find anything.
Dirt4game.com will have all that info eventually 

Rygar86 said:
Hey guys, having lots of fun with Dirt Rally atm and will report more on this soon! But I just have a quick question about Your Stage, when I try moving the complexity slider (and similarly the length slider)  I can really only achieve 5 positions (or set notches). Its basicaly: 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%, I thought that we would have a slider we could place almost anywhere on the line, this kind of seems limited?

I see the same kind of thing on some of the 'Tuning Setup' sliders, some have plenty of notches, more like in Dirt Rally but some have the same '5 Notches' sytem as above (like the 'brake force slider' on almost every Vehicle I have tried so far), and some even have only 3 notches (0%, 50% and 100%) for other things like some of the Differentials etc.

Its not on every tuning slider (thankfully) but it seems even the ones with many more positions are reduced quite a bit from all the settings in Dirt Rally. I really like the extra positions I had to choose from in Dirt Rally and this feels kind of strange to me  :/ 

@KickUp Can I ask what is the reason for this change? (as far as the tuning sliders) Is it meant to be more realistic this way and Dirt Rally 'less real' with way more positions than IRL?

Also, was there a limitation or complication with 'Your Stage' to prevent more variable positions with the sliders there?
Your Stage uses these notches to let the algorithm do its work. I'll discuss with the guys to see if they are happy to increase the notches. 

As for tuning it is my understanding that the fidelity of the notches increases based on the quality of your chief engineer/mechanics. 

KickUp said:
Rygar86 said:
Hey guys, having lots of fun with Dirt Rally atm and will report more on this soon! But I just have a quick question about Your Stage, when I try moving the complexity slider (and similarly the length slider)  I can really only achieve 5 positions (or set notches). Its basicaly: 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%, I thought that we would have a slider we could place almost anywhere on the line, this kind of seems limited?

@KickUp Can I ask what is the reason for this change? (as far as the tuning sliders) Is it meant to be more realistic this way and Dirt Rally 'less real' with way more positions than IRL?

Your Stage uses these notches to let the algorithm do its work. I'll discuss with the guys to see if they are happy to increase the notches. 

As for tuning it is my understanding that the fidelity of the notches increases based on the quality of your chief engineer/mechanics. 
@KickUp Thank you so much for your reply! That would be brilliant to have more options in 'Your Stage'! :smiley: I really, really appreciate you looking into this and you are awesome!

That is excellent news in regards to the tuning options and a clever upgrade system you have implimented, I definitely like this as it adds even more depth to the D4's already awesome management system!

I look forward to seeking out the finest engineers for my fledgling racing team :smiley:

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I can't seem to find button reassignment for my wheel? I'm in a Logitech g920 on Xbox one, I wanted to set my handbrake up as 4th gear on my shifter but I can't find the menu anywhere?

edit: found it! Just a lot more hidden than in dirt raly!

So I tried messing around with the H3 RWD cars (sim, no assists, controller lol).
  • Cars generally tend to understeer a lot, especially turns over crests when it feels like the front tyres have no purchase on the gravel. However this can be remedied with some quick differential/suspension tuning, the E30 could rotate into corners more naturally just by changing one differential setting.
  • AI on Tough, I tend to stay well ahead in the modern cars, but in this class they seem to be inhumanely quick with the ticker on the left pulling ahead unrelentlessly even when I take a corner at dangerous speeds, so I had to set it one step down, and now I'm even.
  • Especially with the stratos, getting your tyres slightly onto the grass violently spins the car into it (tried to experiment a bit, and maybe going off the throttle prevents this), and one rear tyre touching an outside rocky bank spins you inside (by the time I've countersteered and off the throttle i'm at right angles). I'm not exactly complaining, just an observation, certainly makes stages much more tricky to go full attack.
  • I noticed on a replay with the stratos on Wales, the concave shape of the road makes the front inside tyre not touch the ground at all when going around the hairpins. Interesting.

A very effective way against understeer is the toe alignment on the rear. If you put some toe-out on the rear, the rear tires will effectively point towards the outside which makes the rear a looooot looser under load. For example, if you turn left the weight will move to the right. A lot of weight gets on the rear right tire and as that tire is pointing outward it will push the entire rear of the car to the right, creating oversteer.

you can do the same on the front but inverted, using some more toe-in to have the tires point inward creating more bite on turn in. Too much of either toe-out/in will create some instability though, so don't go too far. Just a single click or 2 will do a lot.

Areyouben said:
A very effective way against understeer is the toe alignment on the rear. If you put some toe-out on the rear, the rear tires will effectively point towards the outside which makes the rear a looooot looser under load. For example, if you turn left the weight will move to the right. A lot of weight gets on the rear right tire and as that tire is pointing outward it will push the entire rear of the car to the right, creating oversteer.

you can do the same on the front but inverted, using some more toe-in to have the tires point inward creating more bite on turn in. Too much of either toe-out/in will create some instability though, so don't go too far. Just a single click or 2 will do a lot.
I agree with @Areyouben these front and rear toe adjustments are exactly what I have done to the Subaru WRX STi NR4 as well as setting the central diff torque bias towards the rear. Now, the way it drifts around those beautiful Spanish bends is a glorius thing that makes me happy for every challenging pacenote Nicky calls out :)

Also finding (with this car and setup) that a tug on the handbrake (especially with hairpins and even the most acute corners in the Spanish towns) will get the 'bum to behave' very nicely.

Man I love Spain :smiley:

Up on the Carlisle rally, stage 2 was like playing dirt 4! Warning triangles absolutely everywhere, people flagging us down! Must have been 10-15 cars off on a 13 mile stage!
Why have you marked this post as off topic @BigSur ?
@RallyDriven marked one of my DiRTY Gossip posts as off topic (click here) for no reason @Rallycameraman, so I think he had this coming. :smiley:

And i I didn't had luck, @Rygar86 's question got answered :( ;) 

@KickUp is co-driver higher grade making him perform better? 

urgaffel said:
SkyRex said:
Was initially sad, that my for-all-livery looked acceptable on all my cars, except the Subi. Now I unlocked the Prodrive Livery and got a beautiful substitute. It really looks good.
I also tried to emulate Finland with YourStage and I'm quite satisfied with the result. Not 'quite' finland, but the feeling is close and it's surely different from typical Wales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SeYK5PmHZY

That track looks like a ton of fun, I hope you saved it
Yes I did. Check the D4RC League Thread if I shall share it with you?

tbtstt said:
Up on the Carlisle rally, stage 2 was like playing dirt 4! Warning triangles absolutely everywhere, people flagging us down! Must have been 10-15 cars off on a 13 mile stage!
Why have you marked this post as off topic @BigSur ?
@RallyDriven marked one of my DiRTY Gossip posts as off topic (click here) for no reason @Rallycameraman, so I think he had this coming. :smiley:
Haha! Sorry about that, it was probably an accident. Probably.

Rygar86 said:
Areyouben said:

I agree with @Areyouben these front and rear toe adjustments are exactly what I have done to the Subaru WRX STi NR4 as well as setting the central diff torque bias towards the rear. Now, the way it drifts around those beautiful Spanish bends is a glorius thing that makes me happy for every challenging pacenote Nicky calls out :)

Also finding (with this car and setup) that a tug on the handbrake, especially with hairpins and even on the most acute corners in the Spanish towns will get the 'bum' to behave very nicely for me! ;) Man I love Spain :smiley:

Would it be possible for you guys to share a setup that works for you? Screenshots would be enough ;)

I haven't done a whole lot with setup yet, only some basic alignment as I felt that would be a good start. So just aplying the toe to a default setup does a lot. But when I get some more tweaks done I'm happy to share.

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I can't seem to find button reassignment for my wheel? I'm in a Logitech g920 on Xbox one, I wanted to set my handbrake up as 4th gear on my shifter but I can't find the menu anywhere?

edit: found it! Just a lot more hidden than in dirt raly!
I was gonna load up D4 and find the exact menu that I saw it in for you. But glad you managed to find it yourself :)