DiRTy Gossip

human1101 said:
broke my shifter :neutral : \ now i gotta get out my soldering iron

The excitement from D4 is putting strain on our equipment!  :D  But seriously, thats not cool, I hope you can get it fixed with just a soldering :) 

Looks like dji have taken some inspiration from dirt 4!

https://twitter.com/torandreborrese/status/873836764980531200

i fixed it now, but i wish logitch would use decent wire to begin with, something that gets stressed that much should not be so flimsy, ah well, atleast it wont break there again

human1101 said:
i fixed it now, but i wish logitch would use decent wire to begin with, something that gets stressed that much should not be so flimsy, ah well, atleast it wont break there again

Great news @human1101 that was fast! Im quite terible with soldering, last time I used one (whilst trying to mod my Nintendo Game Cube) I remember burning myself and also failing to soilder the chip on properly. Had to take it into a TV repair guy to get it done properly, luckily he only charged me like $10!

I was very thankful and have never touched my soldering iron since  :D

Turns out that, in fact, that the MG Metro 6r4 is the most fun car in the game. Who would have thought? Was the last car I tried and it feels amazing. Feels like a DiRT Rally car.

Got to play my first few hours of the game last night and am cautiously optimistic thus far. In summary, it's a good base but I'm bearing in mind how much DR was improved post-launch.

Pre-ramble note; I'm 95% interested in rally, so that's all I've done so far. I'll dabble in RX at some point, but it won't hold my attention span for long, especially with only a few tracks. I still feel the game would benefit from being focused on fewer disciplines, but I'm aware that sales may depend on the other content. But 3 Landrush tracks, 5 RX ones and only 5 Rally locations sort of bears weight to that. Anyway, I went into the game knowing that, so that's not a complaint.

Many people have covered physics in detail, so I will touch on that briefly but I'm approaching the game from my perspective predominantly. OK, on with it.....

My initial thoughts were "what is going on?", I'm thrown into a stage before I've even been offered the chance to check control inputs or mess around with options and settings but after clearing the mandatory bits, OK, I'm on more familiar ground. First thing is first, set up controller inputs (doesn't tell me when I've assigned duplicates until I try to continue) and turn off all the menu music and HUD. The menus and presentation, for me, are a step backwards (although the service area bits are a nice addition), but I've become familiar with them relatively quickly and seem to be able to do what I want without too much effort.

So the game is clearly a lot more career oriented and I'm not the biggest fan of that approach. I miss the custom events that made up the bulk of my time in DR and I'm not sure why I have to create a championship just to run a single event. That said, it is still possible and I enjoy that there is some consistency to the AI now, so I can run a few events and compete against the same people.

I'll come back to AI in more detail at a later time, I'm still deciding on an opinion and need to research more. My initial impressions are confusion. I set it straight away to the highest I could and in the single events I've done there is a nice challenge and I'm running mid-pack. But in career, I can make mistakes in the early events I've tried and still win stages. I guess it will get tougher later. 

One thing most people won't care about but is important for my immersion; the competitors are always the same. No worries if I'm running R5s in a world championship or R2s in a local rally in Michigan, but there's always Mr Alvarez out front. I prefer this to DR's randomness though, and maybe that's supposed to simulate the same people progressing their careers along with me, but it feels a bit weird so far. That said, I need to look at it a bit more before commenting properly. I'm also not a fan of the fact AI stage times can be affected by things that (I presume) cannot affect you, such as 'fans in road' or 'late leaving service park' (on Stage 1). 'broken headlights' seems to cause the AI the same time loss in both day and night too, but might be that I haven't done enough stages to know if that's true.

I'm enjoying the fact I don't have to do any team management and buy cars though, I'm looking forward to doing as much as possible for other teams and the mechanic recommendations for servicing are a small but really nice step. So are the time estimates and the fact they can be wrong.

I tried a few multiplayer events too. And really enjoyed them. There was only one​ server online at 3am, so thanks to the Portuguese guys who out up a good few events with me! I have slow internet at the moment, so I really appreciate that I don't need more for online rally and I am a big fan of the way it has been done, rather than everyone being on stage together or with ghost cars. This feels like a proper rally still, not a gaming gimmick, and I enjoy it. Might turn on the splits HUD though!

You'll notice I'm discussing the game more than the handling. I'm still forming opinions on that, but I think it certainly has potential. I'm messing up over braking a lot and left foot braking is more important than in DR, but I concur with those saying the school area feels more natural than the actual stages. It feels a bit similar to when DR was new, with how planted the cars are, but you can feel that it's weight that's doing it rather than the broken aero model responsible for high speed downforce in early DR builds I think. I won't complain if it loosens up, but it's not the end of the world if not; I've not tried RWD yet though, saving the Fiat 131 for a treat later. Others have covered physics better though, so I'll jump onto other posts and look forward to any patching.

Finally, for now, Your Stage. I've only done 15 or so events, and only in Wales and Michigan so far, but I'm already recognising the same sections over and over. Despite how it was billed beforehand, I was expecting this though, and I still feel this is a big leap in the right direction and it's excellent for a first attempt. Can't wait to see what you can do with it with DLC or in future game iterations. One slight disappointment is that the 'tiles' with junctions on always go the same way. That double 2 junction in Wales is always configured the same way, whereas it would be great if it was possible to go one way or the other.

So yeah, first impressions are solid. It hasn't blown me away like DR did, but I went into that with no expectations and a very cheap price tag. For my second ever pre-order, this is a solid start and I hope it receives future polish and attention and, hopefully, rally themed content additions. 

Video library to watch the things I skipped is a nice touch.

By the way, how can I change the co-driver to Jen Horsey without buying a car? As far as I can work out, I can't change it in the settings - is it locked in the My Team area?

By the way, how can I change the co-driver to Jen Horsey without buying a car? As far as I can work out, I can't change it in the settings - is it locked in the My Team area?
Yes it's in My Team area. And they're graded. 

Where do you find your favorited/saved stages?  I have saved a couple and I thought I could jump into freeplay and find what I saved.  Same with sharing them?  Its probably under my nose, but go ahead make me look stupid anyhow :)

Damn, I had no intention of buying a car but would like that choice. No worries, will buy something cheap. Thanks for clarifying.

Couple more notes:

Penalties are way too low. Corner cutting, fair enough, you can make a small mistake and that shouldn't be a huge punishment. Hitting a spectator and winning a stage feels really cheap.

The crowd are reaaaaally loud. And with music off you can hear them in the service park too. Small detail.

The 'stage end' markers (usually little card cutouts IRL, no?) are more solid than lampposts!

Effects and lighting are really nice. Not a fan of the low flying helicopter (pilot would be fired for that IRL!), but other effects are nice and rare enough to be interesting. Night lighting is a highlight.

The notes seem a little confusing. Open hairpins are a 3rd gear occasion and 1s are very tight. Enjoying Nicky (not tried Jen yet), but if I had Paul back as an option I would almost certainly revert.

4th rally in career mode, Welsh Rally in an R2 and I'm not far off the fastest R5 cars, running 8th overall​.

versedi said:
There are plenty of threads to do what you're doing right now.
I've got two  three questions for you:
  1. What's your purpose?
  2. Couldn't you choose any other thread to offend most of the people that are following DiRT Team's work, and are really committed to the community here and everywhere else?
  3. What were you expecting by bashing in the most popular thread in the inner community in this discussion board? 
1.  What's yours, besides making strawman arguments?  If I had to answer, I'd say that I'm simply speaking truth.
2.  See point 1.
3.  See point 1.

The last thing I have to say on the matter:

Don't conflate your enthusiasm and support for Codemasters and their work with the mob attacks some here have made against other forum members voicing their opinions and criticisms.  I said what I said based only on that.  Nothing else.

I've just been informed that my car is trash and it won't survive monthly.

I guess it's time to invest in R&D. 

BTW. Codies want to sponsor me! Ha!

versedi said:

And here are the first cheats! I hope this time you can block them for multiplayer / online!
The game already has an excessive grip ... if we add this too ..
P.Š. Please reduce the grip
https://youtu.be/asghx4zmQCs

Yep, in 'My Team' click the staff button and then you just have to click on co-driver and hire her.

@KickUp I have unlocked fearless mode, which adds the Brutal AI difficulty. But I would like to drive with custom difficulty settings (I basically use the fearless settings, with automatic gears) but whenever is select fearless, and change to autogear the AI gets dumbed down. Which makes career mode way to easy. Can this please be changed? 

Edit: Even when changing from Manual Sequential to Manual H-Pattern, it doesn't count as 'Fearless' anymore, and the AI is dumbed down...
So driving with a H-pattern gearbox isn't possible either.

So... Where, and how, can i get car setups from other players?

@KickUp Crowd sounds are too loud / high, at start of stages. Theirs sounds are higher than Car Engine and Co-Driver ( both are all i wanna hear high and clear ). Also, crowd sounds ( all the yelling and cheering ) need to go, while we are in Service Area. It's annoying ( even more when crowd sounds are loud as hell ) having them yell at my ears, while all i want is tune, and repair my cars, peaceful. Make it similar as while we are in Branding Suite ( no crowd sounds at all, and that's perfect ). I play on PC, bonnet cam, all sound sliders maxed, but music and replays, if that helps.

Alf72 said:

So... Where, and how, can i get car setups from other players?

@KickUp Crowd sounds are too loud / high, at start of stages. Theirs sounds are higher than Car Engine and Co-Driver ( both are all i wanna hear high and clear ). Also, crowd sounds ( all the yelling and cheering ) need to go, while we are in Service Area. It's annoying ( even more when crowd sounds are loud as hell ) having them yell at my ears, while all i want is tune, and repair my cars, peaceful. Make it similar as while we are in Branding Suite ( no crowd sounds at all, and that's perfect ). I play on PC, bonnet cam, all sound sliders maxed, but music and replays, if that helps.

Someone needs to share it with you and have you on his friends' list.

I agree the crowd is a bit too loud in the service area but it's a nice addition IMO. 

R4MO78 said:
And here are the first cheats! I hope this time you can block them for multiplayer / online!
The game already has an excessive grip ... if we add this too ..
P.Š. Please reduce the grip
https://youtu.be/asghx4zmQCs
I would love a cheat allowing me to try RX car on rally stage. So I can check what exactly is wrong with rally physics right now.

Areyouben said:
A very effective way against understeer is the toe alignment on the rear. If you put some toe-out on the rear, the rear tires will effectively point towards the outside which makes the rear a looooot looser under load. For example, if you turn left the weight will move to the right. A lot of weight gets on the rear right tire and as that tire is pointing outward it will push the entire rear of the car to the right, creating oversteer.

you can do the same on the front but inverted, using some more toe-in to have the tires point inward creating more bite on turn in. Too much of either toe-out/in will create some instability though, so don't go too far. Just a single click or 2 will do a lot.
Toe-in at the front gives stability. If you want better turn in you use toe-out. The description in the tuning menu is wrong at the moment. They are aware of that :)

@KickUp I have unlocked fearless mode, which adds the Brutal AI difficulty. But I would like to drive with custom difficulty settings (I basically use the fearless settings, with automatic gears) but whenever is select fearless, and change to autogear the AI gets dumbed down. Which makes career mode way to easy. Can this please be changed? 

Edit: Even when changing from Manual Sequential to Manual H-Pattern, it doesn't count as 'Fearless' anymore, and the AI is dumbed down...
I haven't unlocked Fearless yet, but I think I am getting close. Paul Coleman mentioned that Fearless will be locked to interior camera, which I don't play with.
I am already playing with all assists off, including no restarts. Only exterior camera is on, which is comfortable for my gamepad play style.
Chasing Fearless difficulty and finding out that I cannot pick the hardest AI with chase cam is going to be a let down. Please take note of that, if it is the case devs, since Paul already mentioned that is the case.

Related to this, some sponsors ask for a 94% bonus from no assists in the settings, but with chase cam the highest I can go is 93% which automatically deteriorates my sponsor relationship. Come on devs, not even Dirt Rally was so hostile to chase cam players.

I am enjoying the game, but these are some confusing design choices.

Sho846 said:

I haven't unlocked Fearless yet, but I think I am getting close. Paul Coleman mentioned that Fearless will be locked to interior camera, which I don't play with.
I am already playing with all assists off, including no restarts. Only exterior camera is on, which is comfortable for my gamepad play style.
Chasing Fearless difficulty and finding out that I cannot pick the hardest AI with chase cam is going to be a let down. Please take note of that, if it is the case devs, since Paul already mentioned that is the case.

Related to this, some sponsors ask for a 94% bonus from no assists in the settings, but with chase cam the highest I can go is 93% which automatically deteriorates my sponsor relationship. Come on devs, not even Dirt Rally was so hostile to chase cam players.

I am enjoying the game, but these are some confusing design choices.

Fellow chase cam user here @Sho846 so I feel your pain. But to be honest Im on lower level atm as I get used to the differences of D4, when I get better though and want more challenge it could be a problem.

gfRally said:
Where do you find your favorited/saved stages?  I have saved a couple and I thought I could jump into freeplay and find what I saved.  Same with sharing them?  Its probably under my nose, but go ahead make me look stupid anyhow :)

I think, from memory, you go to free play and select Rally and you should see an option for favourite/saved stages or events there. I could be wrong though.

i got burnt by having to hold handbrake again which is an issue due to the fact i have a handbrake and need to quickly press the button to continue and then hold the handbrake with the same hand

versedi said:

Haha, good one Codies :smiley:

Im still hoping for a Sponsorship from "Coleman's Premium Beard Oil"

First Team Target: Grow impressive beards to intimidate our opponents. My female engineer will need to get creative  :D