DiRTy Gossip

bogani said:
As long as the inaccuracies aren't as big as in SLRE I'm happy.
You are, I on the other hand every single time I see that Focus '01 just... can't seem to shake that feeling like it looks like a completely different car altogether. Barely noticeable difference, for most completely not noticeable but for me changes the car completely.

Depends on each person. I personally don't get why the cars have any inaccuracies altogether. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to notice that the headlights/bumper/grill/etc. is wrong... but it does take time to fix it.

versedi said:
Steam's taking 1 hour to decompress 592MB patch.

Seriously? 32MB/s * 3600 = 115200MB patch. lulz
@!*#$IUHEFLSBDG let me play!

Edit: just finished :blush:

Edit2: After some thoughts, I guess Steam decompress NEFS files, updates what needed and compress it back, 40GB required for 600MB update would explain it. 
yeah that's pretty stupid, its asking me 35GB to install a 592MB patch

versedi said:
Steam's taking 1 hour to decompress 592MB patch.

Seriously? 32MB/s * 3600 = 115200MB patch. lulz
@!*#$IUHEFLSBDG let me play!

Edit: just finished :blush:

Edit2: After some thoughts, I guess Steam decompress NEFS files, updates what needed and compress it back, 40GB required for 600MB update would explain it. 
yeah that's pretty stupid, its asking me 35GB to install a 592MB patch
Pretty stupid, and highly annoying. Can't play at the moment without switching the whole game to my HDD because it needs an extra 40gb for the 600mb update. 

Just had a... Déjà vu in DiRT 4, which pointed out to me that regardless of how many things have changed, be it about physics, stages or even co-pilot... there are still some thing that never change xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLgVMjGekg

Just had a... Déjà vu in DiRT 4, which pointed out to me that regardless of how many things have changed, be it about physics, stages or even co-pilot... there are still some thing that never change xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLgVMjGekg
That's what you get for full through a 4 right through BUMP. Bump means straight road/crest/jump/huge jump right now :D 

Pro Tour: It sounds like a great addition to the game in theory as it gives you a proper Rally experience against real people.

The problem? Player counts are very low, at least on Xbox.

For the past few days I have been trying to get into rooms around UK evening time, and have only been lucky enough to get into a handful of events. E rest of the time I am waiting in matchmaking, seeing 1 or 2 people join, then jump out again.

This is at the bottom Tier, where one would expect the majority of people to reside. I wonder what it's like at the higher levels :(

PJTierney said:
Pro Tour: It sounds like a great addition to the game in theory as it gives you a proper Rally experience against real people.

The problem? Player counts are very low, at least on Xbox.

For the past few days I have been trying to get into rooms around UK evening time, and have only been lucky enough to get into a handful of events. E rest of the time I am waiting in matchmaking, seeing 1 or 2 people join, then jump out again.

This is at the bottom Tier, where one would expect the majority of people to reside. I wonder what it's like at the higher levels :(
Try to jump too. It seems that if you don't join in around ~2 minutes and you quit and search again it finds immediately. Had this like that 5-6 times.

versedi said:
That's what you get for full through a 4 right through BUMP. Bump means straight road/crest/jump/huge jump right now :D 
Nah, there was no bump there, it was a crest. Just that at that point I didn't hear him saying "keep right over crest" and I didn't keep right... next run, was going even faster, kept to the right and no problems.

Some calls though are completely stupid, as I had a stage where he was calling only 6s and I was going so fast that when he got to the "Acute" corner I was already hammering the brakes as hard as possible because I noticed there's no more road :D
The worst offender though is Wales. There a 3 can be a 5 or a 2, a 1 can be a hairpin or a 3, 2 can be... a square and it just goes on and on and on. It's literally impossible to push based on pacenotes alone, even more so at night where it's harder to judge the corners from the visuals.
The rollercoaster like elevation changes don't help as well. There are some stages in the career where you literally go up and down all the time. When I compare that with the onboards of the Wales rally... that's just incredibly inaccurate. Think Finland in DR, basically that level of exaggeration, just instead of jumps they went with elevation changes, or specifically how often they happen.

PS. The reviews on Steam for DiRT 4 are shocking, 66% so far.

versedi said:
Nah, there was no bump there, it was a crest. Just that at that point I didn't hear him saying "keep right over crest" and I didn't keep right... next run, was going even faster, kept to the right and no problems.

Some calls though are completely stupid, as I had a stage where he was calling only 6s and I was going so fast that when he got to the "Acute" corner I was already hammering the brakes as hard as possible because I noticed there's no more road :D
The worst offender though is Wales. There a 3 can be a 5 or a 2, a 1 can be a hairpin or a 3, 2 can be... a square and it just goes on and on and on. It's literally impossible to push based on pacenotes alone, even more so at night where it's harder to judge the corners from the visuals.
The rollercoaster like elevation changes don't help as well. There are some stages in the career where you literally go up and down all the time. When I compare that with the onboards of the Wales rally... that's just incredibly inaccurate. Think Finland in DR, basically that level of exaggeration, just instead of jumps they went with elevation changes, or specifically how often they happen.

Were the Dirt Rally steam reviews that harsh when first published on early access? Like "no gymkhanaaa this gaem suks" or "wher iz ken block????" This would justify the so far poor reviews and flooding of this forum by crybabies wanting a copy paste of DR

Is it just my eyes playing tricks, or is Hatward a marshal in Michigan?

haha i thought paul was one aswell :)                                                     

AnegloPlz said:
Were the Dirt Rally steam reviews that harsh when first published on early access? Like "no gymkhanaaa this gaem suks" or "wher iz ken block????" This would justify the so far poor reviews and flooding of this forum by crybabies wanting a copy paste of DR
If I recall correctly, they were better than DiRT 2 at the beginning, which has the highest Metacritic score of all DiRT titles and had around 93% on Steam as well. Unfortunately you can't check that anymore since it's been removed from the store.

But one thing is for sure. DiRT Rally was the best reviewed game (from the moment it was published) that Codemasters have made in a long time.

I personally think that if DiRT 4 had the stages from DiRT Rally (along what is now) then a lot of the negative reviews would be positive ones.

KevM said:
Is it just my eyes playing tricks, or is Hatward a marshal in Michigan?

Yep, @Hatward is marshal with a hooded coat on, they mentioned this a couple of Dirt Shows back. He gets around because Ive had a couple of encounters with him so far and in different locations, so he is quite the world traveler. Im not sure if @KickUp is a marshal too like @dgeesi0 was thinking, but they did say he is the Polish co-driver after they needed a model at the last minute so they just brought over his model from Dirt Rally.

...true story :D

But one thing is for sure. DiRT Rally was the best reviewed game (from the moment it was published) that Codemasters have made in a long time.

I think still is the best reviewed game? DR launched, in Early Access, with only 17 cars and 3 Enviroments ( Wales, Greece and Monaco ). No Career ( it still doesn't has one ), no Multiplayer ( it came later with RX ), no Pikes Peak, no nothing. Just 17 cars and 3 Enviroments...

D4 is a " Full Package " and it's very far from that score... It says a lot.

Alf72 said:

I think still is the best reviewed game? DR launched, in Early Access, with only 17 cars and 3 Enviroments ( Wales, Greece and Monaco ). No Career ( it still doesn't has one ), no Multiplayer ( it came later with RX ), no Pikes Peak, no nothing. Just 17 cars and 3 Enviroments...

D4 is a " Full Package " and it's very far from that score... It says a lot.

If you actually read D4's reviews you see a lot of "Not enough MP stuff" or "Not enough rallycross tracks" as well as "Too much oversteer" (which is just hilarious no matter what you think of D4's physics) negative reviews that say D4 has better graphics and the one next to it *mostly* complaining that D4's graphics are worse than DR, as well as a lot of people who probably picked Gamer mode and are wondering why it's more arcadey than DR. Even just bizarre stuff like complaining about not being able to drive any car anywhere immediately which is just false. I think it says something about what reaching for a wider audience gets you in the immediate response department (like 90% of these reviews have single digit hours played).

AnegloPlz said:
versedi said:

It's too hard, unplayable, no career, we need more tracks, blah, blah, blah. 
But it happened after the release and EA so 50% of the player base was already playing it. 

It's funny. The two big complaints that I remember from DR was "It's too hard" and "Not enough tracks! I have these memorized now and that's not what rally is about".

Something weird happened to me last night:

Firstly i I finished a clean stage in sweden

Secondly I set the fastest time on it

Thirdly I actually enjoyed driving it!

Its surprisingly good when you get a rhythm going, as I really hated it in DR. Unfortunately normal service resumed in the next stage when I rolled

Refined my team livery to something great now. It finally looks most like a real rally-team with nice sponsors. Less seems to be more with the color scheme. Tackling the Triple-Crown-Rally on Fearless now with my i20 :

Never noticed how the driver actually looks in the direction of steering. Great attention to detail !
edit: And the wheels are also visually deforming at the bottom. So many details you miss if not slowing down your replays from now and then

RallyDriven said:
Something weird happened to me last night:

Firstly i I finished a clean stage in sweden

Secondly I set the fastest time on it

Thirdly I actually enjoyed driving it!

Its surprisingly good when you get a rhythm going, as I really hated it in DR. Unfortunately normal service resumed in the next stage when I rolled
I hated Sweden in DR until something clicked one day and I got a lot better. Ended up being my best location vs the Masters AI times. Not quite there yet in D4 but getting there. Attacking on snow with a level of aggression that's just barely within your ability is an amazing feeling.

SkyRex said:
Refined my team livery to something great now. It finally looks most like a real rally-team with nice sponsors. Less seems to be more with the color scheme. Tackling the Triple-Crown-Rally on Fearless now with my i20 :

Never noticed how the driver actually looks in the direction of steering. Great attention to detail !
edit: And the wheels are also visually deforming at the bottom. So many details you miss if not slowing down your replays from now and then
Rally moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down and look around once in a while, you could miss the details ;)

ps, show off your livery, looks good

urgaffel said:
SkyRex said:

Rally moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down and look around once in a while, you could miss the details ;)

BTW. Yesterday I've seen the water sprinkles in Spain for the first time. I've slowed down cause my first thought was "Ohh they've surely made the tarmac wet around in it! Not this time Codies, I won't get caught in your devil tricks!".

Well, turns out it isn't :D

versedi said:
urgaffel said:
SkyRex said:

BTW. Yesterday I've seen the water sprinkles in Spain for the first time. I've slowed down cause my first thought was "Ohh they've surely made the tarmac wet around in it! Not this time Codies, I won't get caught in your devil tricks!".

Well, turns out it isn't :D
Came so close to crashing first time I saw that. Good second or so of looking off to the right thinking "oh hey that's really neat" then back to the road just in time to avoid slamming into a guard rail.

urgaffel said:

Here's the livery on the i20:

It's actually amazing Brembo pays me any money at all, considering their sticker is covered in dirt after a kilometer XD
I have to say the livery looks even better on the Evo VI or the 2001 Subaru. The Hyundai has some rough edges, probably because it got added quite late in the process. Notice how the blue line over the headlights stops on the bonnet and doesn't go all the way to the grille

Also, do you know that moment, when you think after the left 3 in the dark and rain "Well that was much to close for comfort...":

SkyRex said:
urgaffel said:

Here's the livery on the i20:

It's actually amazing Brembo pays me any money at all, considering their sticker is covered in dirt after a kilometer XD
I have to say the livery looks even better on the Evo VI or the 2001 Subaru. The Hyundai has some rough edges, probably because it got added quite late in the process. Notice how the blue line over the headlights stops on the bonnet and doesn't go all the way to the grille

Also, do you know that moment, when you think after the left 3 in the dark and rain "Well that was much to close for comfort...":

I may have to 'steal' that livery design.... >_>