DiRTy Gossip

JZStudios said:
versedi said:
Sorry for missing "n", i don't have that key in my old laptop :D
The upgrade to SSD is absolutely 100% worth it.

My options for a movie list would include Ferris Buellers Day Off, Uncle Buck, AIRPLANE!, Caddyshack, City Slickers, Blues Brothers, Fifth Element, Spaceballs, Galaxy Quest, Surfs Up, Blazing Saddles, The Naked Gun, The Naked Gun 22 1/2, The Naked Gun 33 1/3, Just about anything else with Leslie Nielson, The Marx Brothers, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
The Princess Brides decent too.
Those are just the essentials. Quote from those on a day to day basis.
Mel Brooks fan? :wink:

versedi said:
Scyy said:

If you have a windows disk you could try booting into that and get to the recovery console. Try bootrec /fixboot and bootrec/fixmbr when working with the disk that the mbr got wiped from and there is a chance it might be fixable.
That was the first thing I've tried, with no success.

I'm not really angry, finally a motivation for a small PC upgrade, cleaning and unnecesarry data wipe.

JZStudios said:

My options for a movie list would include Ferris Buellers Day Off, Uncle Buck, AIRPLANE!, Caddyshack, City Slickers, Blues Brothers, Fifth Element, Spaceballs, Galaxy Quest, Surfs Up, Blazing Saddles, The Naked Gun, The Naked Gun 22 1/2, The Naked Gun 33 1/3, Just about anything else with Leslie Nielson, The Marx Brothers, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I have SSD drives at my work PC and it is a blast difference in loading times and files operations.

Wow, I didn't see half or more of these movies.
Ahh, figured I would throw it out there.

JZStudios said:
versedi said:
JZStudios said:
SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:
caerphoto said:
JZStudios uses Surprise Politics!

It's super effective!

(in derailing the thread)
Haha, wow. Guess I should've figured that no ones seen that movie... as AWESOME as it is. You guys kind of suck.
If you want to get STAIGHT to the quote, go to 1:20.

Ahh makes more sense now. Never seen that movie, but recognize that it was parodied in the Post-Credit Scene of Deadpool...   it's something :)
Look at me, I'm Mary Poppins Y'all ! 
I've said it before and I'll say it again, old movies are better. Surprised at how many know AIPLANE! but not Ferris Bueller.
It's on my Netflix watch list! Need to see it.
We need to create a list of movies like that.
I've liked that from the few minutes I seen it.

My HDD failed today, or shall I say don't mess with diskpart if you aren't sober. Selected wrong disk, wrong partition and wrong command, without hesitation pressed enter because some moron in Microsoft thought it's okay to make changes to HDD without a confirmation.
testdisk did it's job but i've lost the MBR part of disk. BIOS won't detect it even though it's mountable in Debian and it installed the system without a single problem.

Have to format it so I've finally got a reason to upgrade to SSD. Gonna take 2x125GB tomorrow to finally separate my Unix and Win system + data on two 1TB HDDs.

Uh, that was a hell boring/stressful friday evening. 

/E: If that wouldn't be enough the reinstall and diskpart was caused by 2 BSODs and 2 F13 cause of completely stucked at D4. Not sure if my GPU isn't faling as well, but there wasn't anything prompting that way in Debian.... when it was still installed.
I've also had 4 fails of Nvidia drivers in past 3 days. Never happened to me. Gonna buy some thermal paste and clean my graphic card as well tomorrow. Hell, it will be torn apart, why not make a general cleanup.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Weoooooooooo!

It's so dumb, but I love it.

Also, recommending another Mel Brooks film: Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's spectacular and has Leslie Nielsen. What else could you want?

BadD0g said:
JZStudios said:
versedi said:
JZStudios said:
SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:
caerphoto said:

It's super effective!

Haha, wow. Guess I should've figured that no ones seen that movie... as AWESOME as it is. You guys kind of suck.

Ahh makes more sense now. Never seen that movie, but recognize that it was parodied in the Post-Credit Scene of Deadpool...   it's something :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, old movies are better. Surprised at how many know AIPLANE! but not Ferris Bueller.

My HDD failed today, or shall I say don't mess with diskpart if you aren't sober. Selected wrong disk, wrong partition and wrong command, without hesitation pressed enter because some moron in Microsoft thought it's okay to make changes to HDD without a confirmation.
testdisk did it's job but i've lost the MBR part of disk. BIOS won't detect it even though it's mountable in Debian and it installed the system without a single problem.

Have to format it so I've finally got a reason to upgrade to SSD. Gonna take 2x125GB tomorrow to finally separate my Unix and Win system + data on two 1TB HDDs.

/E: If that wouldn't be enough the reinstall and diskpart was caused by 2 BSODs and 2 F13 cause of completely stucked at D4. Not sure if my GPU isn't faling as well, but there wasn't anything prompting that way in Debian.... when it was still installed.
I've also had 4 fails of Nvidia drivers in past 3 days. Never happened to me. Gonna buy some thermal paste and clean my graphic card as well tomorrow. Hell, it will be torn apart, why not make a general cleanup.

Relevant fact: In the kid's bedroom in The Princess Bride, there's a poster of an RS200 on the wall. :p
Holy crap, there is! TURBO!
There's also some sort of Ferrari behind him.
JZStudios said: 
SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:
caerphoto said:

It's super effective!

Oh no. I love that film as well, how could I be so blind, it was too good :D
It's part of my "I'm probably Autistic so I remember almost every line of dialogue from any movie I've seen."
For the most part, if I hear 15-30 seconds of any part of a movie I know I can name it.
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
versedi said:

Mel Brooks fan? :wink:
Yeah... He's got a LOT of TERRIBLE movies though.
To add to the Mel Brooks list, Young Frankenstein (Which after having watched all the original movies is made even better) and The Producers.
Nothing quite like Springtime for Hitler and Germany.
JZStudios said:
versedi said:
JZStudios said:
SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:
caerphoto said:

It's super effective!

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Weoooooooooo!

It's so dumb, but I love it.

Also, recommending another Mel Brooks film: Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's spectacular and has Leslie Nielsen. What else could you want?
How do I make that sound?  :Phlegm: ? Eh, forget it.
httpiimgurcomqPSRIQ6gif

SSDs are amazing. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to platter drives for the OS.

Scyy said:
SSDs are amazing. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to platter drives for the OS.
Agree. I used to be able to go and make a cup of coffee while my work PC started up. Not anymore :(

The fact that the Gossip thread is mainly SSD installations & 80's movies a fortnight after the new game dropped, is an unfortunate sign.

Im currently doing Bronfelen in a 2001 Impreza with the wrong sound, & my gaming has me smiling again after 1 stage on good ole Dirt Rally.

Whoever validated the handling in DR, needs brought back, paid the remainder of the D4 marketing budget & told to work his magic.  Each Rally car in DR had the character of their real life version, bang on!

just have a break from game until patched.thats what im doing.theres no point posting about what the handling issues are as its like harry potter in the handling thread. :D

KevM said:
The fact that the Gossip thread is mainly SSD installations & 80's movies a fortnight after the new game dropped, is an unfortunate sign.

Im currently doing Bronfelen in a 2001 Impreza with the wrong sound, & my gaming has me smiling again after 1 stage on good ole Dirt Rally.

Whoever validated the handling in DR, needs brought back, paid the remainder of the D4 marketing budget & told to work his magic.  Each Rally car in DR had the character of their real life version, bang on!
Well, let's be serious here for a minute. What did you expect would happen? This is the gossip thread after all.
And I'll have you know that many of those movies are from the 70's.
And Kung Pow was 2001 or so.

KevM said:

Yeah I hear you man, I feel like I'm forcing myself to play D4 at the moment.  I'm not into Rallycross or Landrush and the rally handling just isn't there.  I can feel the upgrades to the physics engine but the hand of god pointing your car straight anytime you try to initiate a slide with what feels like a lack of power to keep momentum going just doesn't feel right. 

I have faith though, Paul and his team were absolutely amazing throughout the Dirt Rally early access development.  They really listened and that's why DR is so loved.  Physics tweaks to the rally side (mainly gravel), and hopefully some new tiles to current locations to add more variety and we're well on our way to the ultimate rally sim!

Just back from Ypres. Not sure if I've mentioned before, but what a perfect addition that would be for D4, the characteristics would fit Your Stage perfectly.......

(although more tiles for existing locations would be great)

OK, normal service resumed.

Anyone facing a weird issue with Loheac RX circuit?

The first two turns at the start, I start to slide way too much and even go into half spins every time. But when I attack those corners pretty much the same and sometimes even more aggressively in the following laps, the cars handles fine.

Happened with the DS3 and Focus so far. Haven't tried others yet.

Give it a time, the team needs to take a rest after almost 2-3 years of hard work.

Besides there's alot going on in Codemasters release matter right now...(F1, MM)

/E: remember it's not the EA like it was in DR. It was a huge release. 

I'm just picking and choosing my cars and having a great time in rally actually, you can do a lot with the setups. Plus I happen to like Rallycross and I have discovered that the buggies and the 2WD trucks are actually pretty fun in Landrush.

Y'all try to soften your anti-roll-bars in most car. I find that sliding feels much more natural that way for me. My i20 is currently running with ca. 50% the strength of the default setup for every location except spain.

Everyone asking for more new tiles, for current locations, but i don't see how only that will fix the issue of seeing the same tiles, on a Stage.

I agree it needs way more tiles but, what Your Stage really needs, is to make sure it doesn't repeat the same tile, on a Stage. Just adding more tiles won't do anything, if it keeps repeating them.

Alf72 said:

Everyone asking for more new tiles, for current locations, but i don't see how only that will fix the issue of seeing the same tiles, on a Stage.

I agree it needs way more tiles but, what Your Stage really needs, is to make sure it doesn't repeat the same tile, on a Stage. Just adding more tiles won't do anything, if it keeps repeating them.

Ideally tiles would be much shorter. Not a sequence of corners, but a corner. Or part of it. Also landmarks beside a road itself could be randomized. Maybe in the future.

SamRWD said:
Ideally tiles would be much shorter. Not a sequence of corners, but a corner. Or part of it. Also landmarks beside a road itself could be randomized. Maybe in the future.
Yeah that would be amazing, but I think that Your Stage is already an incredible piece of technology.  If they build on this it truly is a game changer for rally racing.  It's completely seamless and generates stages in seconds, I can't imagine they wouldn't just build on it from here.  For a V1 of this tech, it really is impressive how well it works.  I just don't think there is enough tiles, or like you said some last too long and become very memorable.

The groundwork is there.  I really think if they fix these odd arcadey rally handling issues and add some tiles to current locations most of us would be very happy.  I know there is a great physics engine as a base after 400 hours of DR, and they have made it better in some ways, worse in others.  And we know they are already looking into the Historics/RWD issue, but it truly does effect AWD cars as well with the point and squirt physics on gravel. 

Alf72 said:

i did one of the final events last night in australia and no lie the first course i think it was was basically the same 4 sections repeated ! i was like wtf? it was like left right left right left right left right finish.it was just the same tiles secitons one after anorther.next course had 3 i think the same.

Alf72 said:

I'm not sure I agree. Yes, there are repeated tiles, but they are not identical in each, the scenery is randomised on them and, if they did this, then every stage would have exactly the same times, just in a different order. The current way makes each stage a little bit more different (potentially), by compromising.

Sho846 said:

The first two turns at the start, I start to slide way too much and even go into half spins every time. But when I attack those corners pretty much the same and sometimes even more aggressively in the following laps, the cars handles fine.

I think they have implemented tyre temperatures, because I noticed in last (or the one before that) week's weekly in Spain that my Metro was a bit skittish, but the further I got along the stage, the more grip I had, and could attack harder! I asked Paul if this was the case, but didn't get an answer.

Sho846 said:

I think they have implemented tyre temperatures, because I noticed in last (or the one before that) week's weekly in Spain that my Metro was a bit skittish, but the further I got along the stage, the more grip I had, and could attack harder! I asked Paul if this was the case, but didn't get an answer.
That's pretty cool if that is the case.

Sho846 said:

I don't think they are simulating tire temps, but only Paul can answer that.

Yes Sho I had the ice bug in RX a few times, but this was mostly in pre release testing. Sometimes it was only the first corner in Hell on the first lap. I also had it in Montalegre.

If it would be tire temps it would happen frequently.

Sho846 said:

Yes, I had this feeling many times.