DiRTy Gossip

versedi said:
I just found out the Linux version of DR is free if you have Windows version.
Wooot?

This is complete awesomeness. 
Hmm, why would I want to have two versions of the same game?

Dytut said:
versedi said:
I just found out the Linux version of DR is free if you have Windows version.
Wooot?

This is complete awesomeness. 
Aren't all multi platform games on steam like that? 
If yes then I didn't know that :) 

versedi said:
TuliRally said:
CMMcBabe said:
Well, that gives me more things to add to my list of things to look at.
Please dont fix it. It's better to have some consequences for your actions, one could almost call it a feature. 

Edit: Do you get time penalized for not stopping to marshall. How does it work in RL. (Hopefully not like in the video)
You're fu*****. You have to give the time card to write up your stage time. No note = DNF AFAIK.

PS. It may depend on the timing type:

http://www.rallymatcher.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=974

Most rallies the marshals are much further after the finish than in D4, you'd be going pretty well to miss them! If you did, you would just go back and give them the time card, as that's the only reason why you stop at the marshals. The time is clocked automatically on the flying finish, the marshals just write a physical copy of it on the time sheets.

Just finished the group A weekly event in Michigan and I was stunned when I saw my total event time. It should be near 30 minutes (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I've made some mistakes in my calculations), but somehow it's over 45 minutes. I entered the event and quited before starting the first stage for a need to look over my engineers. Is it really that I cannot leave the event before the first stage once I've entered it (I was able to go back and start the first stage, no DNF) or I've witnessed a bug? Picture related.

Just finished the group A weekly event in Michigan and I was stunned when I saw my total event time. It should be near 30 minutes (correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I've made some mistakes in my calculations), but somehow it's over 45 minutes. I entered the event and quited before starting the first stage for a need to look over my engineers. Is it really that I cannot leave the event before the first stage once I've entered it (I was able to go back and start the first stage, no DNF) or I've witnessed a bug? Picture related.

Vajb had the same problem in his weekly, and he did not quit before starting the first stage. Not sure how this bug occurs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - his name failed to appear on the leaderboards after one of the stages. Did this occur to you as well?

Don't know if I'm the only but when doing rally I can look into the future was doing career and was 1st in running order still saw my opponents time at the start of the stage which is kinda weird as he is still behind me

Vajb had the same problem in his weekly, and he did not quit before starting the first stage. Not sure how this bug occurs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - his name failed to appear on the leaderboards after one of the stages. Did this occur to you as well?
We know the reason, connection issues to RaceNet during play.  One for the next patch.

I can only see my total event time after the last stage in weeklies, can't see any results after each stage.

I can only see my total event time after the last stage in weeklies, can't see any results after each stage.
I had that for a night last week aswell. It sorted itself out once racenet woke up.

DiRTy Gossip be like:  https://youtu.be/JU-OSLBKwG0

gfRally said:
DiRTy Gossip be like:  https://youtu.be/JU-OSLBKwG0

Going into Multiplayer on the morning on the weekend is like the first line, "Hello, is there anybody in there?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZDUZ3bvIc

Looks pretty good, but the co-driver, oh my god no please.
And as nice as the stage is, I can't go back to memorising stages in other rally games now, thanks to YourStage. It needs more variety in corner types/tiles, but YourStage is definitely the way forward for me.
And 30 fps on console, just no.

I just so want those WRC cars dammit! 

Sho846 said:
And as nice as the stage is, I can't go back to memorising stages in other rally games now, thanks to YourStage. It needs more variety in corner types/tiles, but YourStage is definitely the way forward for me.

Are they targeting 30fps? Haven't heard anything about it. On the PS4 Pro WRC 6 runs very well. So does Loeb EVO. Practically no noticeable difference after switching from DiRT or Project CARS.

Normally I'm fine with 30 fps in most other genres. But not when you need muscle-memory-reactions in split seconds like in racing.
And that video... Is it me or is anybody else noticing a horrible stuttering in some places?

SkyRex said:
Normally I'm fine with 30 fps in most other genres. But not when you need muscle-memory-reactions in split seconds like in racing.
And that video... Is it me or is anybody else noticing a horrible stuttering in some places?
Me too, and also engine sound is rubbish

30 fps = slide show                                                      

Sho846 said:

Are they targeting 30fps? Haven't heard anything about it. On the PS4 Pro WRC 6 runs very well. So does Loeb EVO. Practically no noticeable difference after switching from DiRT or Project CARS.
I know WRC 6 did not hit 60fps on normal PS4 (which I own), so I am presuming WRC7 would still be doing variable framerate at best. I also have Loeb Rally Evo, and the 30 fps is definitely noticeable to me after coming from playing Dirt Rally and now Dirt 4.

Incredibly, Dirt 4 has increased its lighting and weather effects dramatically and is still maintaining a rock solid 60fps on PS4 (in rally at least, LandRush and Rallycross has some drops). Other rally games have to be able to match that to get my money from now on.

By the way, cool user name. I've been thinking of picking up a book by him. Would you tell me what is his most important work?

@Sho846 while you weren't asking me I would say the book human action is probably his best work.

SkyRex said:
Unfortunately you get that horrible stutter in D4's Welsh stages also.   :/

Sho846 said:
Sho846 said:

I know WRC 6 did not hit 60fps on normal PS4 (which I own), so I am presuming WRC7 would still be doing variable framerate at best. I also have Loeb Rally Evo, and the 30 fps is definitely noticeable to me after coming from playing Dirt Rally and now Dirt 4.

Incredibly, Dirt 4 has increased its lighting and weather effects dramatically and is still maintaining a rock solid 60fps on PS4 (in rally at least, LandRush and Rallycross has some drops). Other rally games have to be able to match that to get my money from now on.

By the way, cool user name. I've been thinking of picking up a book by him. Would you tell me what is his most important work?
As @Scyy stated, yes, Human Action is his magnum opus. It's very long though. He even had to write it twice after losing his copy when fleeing the Nazis.

Regarding SLRE on vanilla PS4, yes, I remember that, the 30fps is excruciating. However, I disagree a bit with your take on D4's graphics. While it's true that the lighting effects are greatly improved, I feel that overall it's a step backwards in the graphics department. The 30fps pixelated replays are eyesores, even worse than SLRE's. I have seen some people complaining that the game does not look very good on the Pro for some reason, so maybe it has something to do with erroneous optimization for the Pro.

@KickUp

Do you think it would be possible for Codemasters to eventually make a deal with FiA in order to be granted rights to put current gen WRC cars into Dirt without full WRC title licence?

SamRWD said:
@KickUp

Do you think it would be possible for Codemasters to eventually make a deal with FiA in order to be granted rights to put current gen WRC cars into Dirt without full WRC title licence?
I wonder if it's possible to bypass the whole WRC thing and just go straight to M-Sport, etc. for the bog-standard factory car. Are they tied to a higher licensing body, beyond the manufacturer? 

Sho846 said:
Sho846 said:

As @Scyy stated, yes, Human Action is his magnum opus. It's very long though. He even had to write it twice after losing his copy when fleeing the Nazis.

Regarding SLRE on vanilla PS4, yes, I remember that, the 30fps is excruciating. However, I disagree a bit with your take on D4's graphics. While it's true that the lighting effects are greatly improved, I feel that overall it's a step backwards in the graphics department. The 30fps pixelated replays are eyesores, even worse than SLRE's. I have seen some people complaining that the game does not look very good on the Pro for some reason, so maybe it has something to do with erroneous optimization for the Pro.
Thank you and @Scyy for the book recommendation.

I like the replay camera better on D4 so far, can't see any pixelation. The dust clouds look horrible in SLRE and there is not much variety in the camera angles there either.

But I am on normal PS4, so the pixelation thing might be a PS4 pro issue.

Sho846 said:
Thank you and @Scyy for the book recommendation.

I like the replay camera better on D4 so far, can't see any pixelation. The dust clouds look horrible in SLRE and there is not much variety in the camera angles there either.

But I am on normal PS4, so the pixelation thing might be a PS4 pro issue.
I have a theory as to why the PS4 Pro version seems to be so lacklustre.

So SLRE and WRC 6 are both game that target 30fps on console but on the Pro both run very well, I would say at 50+ fps in the case of WRC 6 and close to 60 fps in the case of SLRE. The difference that Boost Mode makes on those titles is truly remarkable. Pretty much any game with framerate issues on vanilla PS4 is massively improved on the Pro's Boost Mode.

DiRT 4, however, is a Pro-enhanced title. Which means that Boost Mode is ignored and all the enhancements depend on the dev. I understand that the only enhancements in D4 are a more stable framerate and improved AA. In effect, my theory is that the Pro's Boost Mode is better than the little optimization that Codemasters put in for the Pro. That is why I am seeing pleasant, smooth replays in SLRE while in D4 I am seeing jaggied 30fps eyesores. In effect, it would have been better to not have any optimization at all for the Pro because I believe Boost Mode would have improved things much more than the stable framerate or improved AA that Codies has implemented.

However, I understand that Sony does not allow new games to be released without Pro enhancement. So maybe we're really just looking at a lacklustre optimization of D4 for the Pro that, ironically, leaves it behind SLRE (with Pro Boost Mode) on some fronts.

Anyone else accidentaly clicking the Micro Machines sub-forum when trying to get to DiRT? Just me?