DiRTy Gossip

Regarding WRC; before the license went to Kylotonn (via BigBen) I think the license might have been possibly potentially up for grabs, as both DiRT Rally and Seb Loeb Rally Evo had real-life stages and cars, almost as if both were courting the WRC/FIA.

I would guess that BigBen started to threaten legal action if WRC cars appeared in rival games, hence them being removed "just in case", although F1 cars appear in non-F1 games by individual team licenses, so not sure why WRC cars would be much stricter.

Didzis said:
Anyone else accidentaly clicking the Micro Machines sub-forum when trying to get to DiRT? Just me?
I was about to say/ask the same thing :D

We demand our spot back!  >:)

Regarding WRC; before the license went to Kylotonn (via BigBen) I think the license might have been possibly potentially up for grabs, as both DiRT Rally and Seb Loeb Rally Evo had real-life stages and cars, almost as if both were courting the WRC/FIA.

I would guess that BigBen started to threaten legal action if WRC cars appeared in rival games, hence them being removed "just in case", although F1 cars appear in non-F1 games by individual team licenses, so not sure why WRC cars would be much stricter.
My understanding is that Kylotonn has exclusive rights to all WRC cars from 2010 to present, so there would be no way they would appear in a competing title. Regarding the official WRC stages, my understanding is that while they are not covered specifically by the WRC-Kylotonn deal, it could be a problem legally if another title reproduces those stages.

About the F1 cars, while they do appear in other games, as far as I know they are never the current cars; only the older models.

Noticed something that leads to a question:
As you know there are several unique liveries on some cars available (Monster, Razer, WD-40, EBC etc.)
But one caught my Attention: The Puma-Livery.(Fiesta R5, 4WD Truck, NR4 STI and one more) It looks like it was meant to be for the Branding Suite but it isn't.  Has 4 Colors, 6 Sponsors and a Number-Sign in the same style as the branding-liveries. Additionally it looks like it would be a very capable awesome looking pattern with lots of sponsor-spots and so on. So why isn't it? Isn't / Wasn't it created for all cars in time but was intended @urgaffel ? Is it something close on the horizon to be added?

My understanding is that Kylotonn has exclusive rights to all WRC cars from 2010 to present, so there would be no way they would appear in a competing title. Regarding the official WRC stages, my understanding is that while they are not covered specifically by the WRC-Kylotonn deal, it could be a problem legally if another title reproduces those stages.

About the F1 cars, while they do appear in other games, as far as I know they are never the current cars; only the older models.
I'm not so sure; SimRaceWay had up-to-date McLaren F1 cars (whilst they had their license exclusively); Assetto Corsa had the 2015 F1 car out (okay in 2016 but it's still a year covered by the 2015 Codemasters game that's on sale). F1 cars have also appeared in Asphalt 8 Airborne (McLaren), Forza 6 (Renault)... not sure how "current year" they were though.

SkyRex said:
As you know there are several unique liveries on some cars available (Monster, Razer, WD-40, EBC etc.)
But one caught my Attention: The Puma-Livery.(Fiesta R5, 4WD Truck, NR4 STI and one more) It looks like it was meant to be for the Branding Suite but it isn't.  Has 4 Colors, 6 Sponsors and a Number-Sign in the same style as the branding-liveries. Additionally it looks like it would be a very capable awesome looking pattern with lots of sponsor-spots and so on. So why isn't it? Isn't / Wasn't it created for all cars in time but was intended @urgaffel ? Is it something close on the horizon to be added?

I have no idea :) Kickup would be a better person to answer that.

SkyRex said:

Some liveries are bespoke and some are generated with the livery editor.  They only show up for some vehicles so as to not clutter the livery select with every livery that was made in the latter way.

I don't know, DiRT 4 seemed overly cautious about not having any problems with WRC licences. DiRT Rally and SLRE both had WRC cars from the same eras racing together, on real life WRC stages. So the WRC licence has either become even more strict or Codies decided to be very kind and gentle with WRC licencing office to have good relationships which could lead to interesting stuff in the future...

Yep, I desperately want a Codemasters WRC game. Really do.

What would it be called? WRC DiRT? DiRT WRC? Heh.

Would be interesting, but they'd be forced to crank out yearly games, and would need to make stages in every country. Assuming the rallies keep going back to mainly the same places though, they could end up building the most famous parts of each rally, as in DiRT Rally.

Or, as I still think would be interesting: turn the DiRT engine into a base and release season packs for it, then they can gradually build a WRC season without having to release it all on one day. Still, that's a problem they don't have yet!

There is clearly something wrong with the AI.
I tried the BMW E30 Evo in Spain. On a little run (third level of difficulty), 4 or 5 km, the IA beat me by 45 seconds / 1 minute. All the time.
Did the daily, I'm on tier 1, only at 45sec from the best (which are probably aliens) on a 14km run. I event did 3 little mistakes.

I understand why someone would require a license before just anyone uses their brand name somewhere. I can also understand the brand having certain restrictions on how their brand be presented/used. Makes perfect sense.

I don't understand exclusive licensing (in the case of WRC and auto manufactures). To me it doesn't make sense. By selling an exclusive license you're putting your brand name in the hands of one entity. Sure they're paying for the use of that license but wouldn't the brand stand to make more money in the long run by allowing multiple entities to use the name brand? It's like free advertising for your brand.

I actually think the whole thing is backwards. Brands pay big money for advertising. The brands should see these games as an advertising avenue. The WRC or Rally'n in general is no where near as big in the US as other parts of the world. Compared to Nascar (sorry), Indy or F1 in the states  I'd say it's nonexistent. Why restrict you exposure?

I will say that if it were not for a title called "Sega Rally" from the 90's I wouldn't have been exposed to Rally'n. Because of that title I've followed Rally as much as I could here in the states. Again, limited air time/exposure. Especially back then. Look at the numbers in the gaming industry now. Not only is it massive but it continues to grow.

Sorry - Got side tracked on this rant. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I was a bit bored, so i tried to do a thing. (I know i'm missing the rear view, i was just too lazy.)
Hope you guys like it.

Accro2008 said:
I was a bit bored, so i tried to do a thing. (I know i'm missing the rear view, i was just too lazy.)
Hope you guys like it.
Looks amazing. Wouldn't it be great to mod something like that into the game! 

yes such simple UI.nothing worse than playing a game with a bad UI.

everything in a game should be in a simple way to access . its like game designers do it on purpose now :D

for eg set ups for cars from other people its like crystal maze to get to it most people dont even know how to access it.yet its a very important process. f1 games you select person use car set up in game ( not through steam ! ) done.

Accro2008 said:
Hope you guys like it.
Shouldn't cancel be the Circle? And it would probably look more appropriate with an orange bacground, but other than that, would be nice to see something like this for real

Somethimg is bodering me. I never got to see the changer of weather mid-race by now and I am far in the career. Is it normal? Or is there a bug in my game?

Didzis said:
Accro2008 said:
Hope you guys like it.
Shouldn't cancel be the Circle? And it would probably look more appropriate with an orange bacground, but other than that, would be nice to see something like this for real
It's from CMR2.  I mean definitely inspired by :D

Didzis said:
Here you go :

Somethimg is bodering me. I never got to see the changer of weather mid-race by now and I am far in the career. Is it normal? Or is there a bug in my game?
Usually it's the showers weather setting that will have rain come and go.

versedi said:
Didzis said:
It's from CMR2.  I mean definitely inspired by :D
I know that and CMR2 actually had a lighter greenish-grey background. But I suggested orange, so it would match with DiRT4

Accro2008 said:
Hope you guys like it.

Aaah, the old Colin McRae 2.0 interface, its a thing of classic beauty and a brilliant minimalist design. But Im not complaining about Dirt 4s menus, I think they are very beautiful too. I agree that some things could be easier to find  but overall I think Codies have done a fine job with them. Had they gone with something like CMR2.0, I certainly would not have complained. But to be honest this would have been more suited and indeed a perfect fit for Dirt Rally!

Scyy said:
But I saw some videos where fog appears out of nowhere and I did not see it by now...

Scyy said:
But I saw some videos where fog appears out of nowhere and I did not see it by now...
I think it is the "Fog patches" weather condition that gives you changing fog levels. At least that's it for me on PS4

Rygar86 said:
Accro2008 said:
Hope you guys like it.

Aaah, the old Colin McRae 2.0 interface, its a thing of classic beauty and a brilliant minimalist design. But Im not complaining about Dirt 4s menus, I think they are very beautiful too. I agree that some things could be easier to find though, but overall I think Codies have done a fine job with them. Though had they gone with something like CMR2.0, I certainly would not have complained, but to be honest this would have been more suited and indeed a perfect fit for Dirt Rally!

I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't like it. First off, I always prefer an actual model over a car. Barring that, I like 3/4 views more.
As far as information goes, I'd rather have an actual number than a bar for specs, and spelling the car name out like that spreads it too much. Seems like a lot of scrolling to see all your options. I also find solid colors rather bland, but the blue is definitely better than orange.

Wanted to make one too :D but I tried staying closer to the original. Would also be cool to see new cars in the old game, like with all the crappy graphics you'd expect from a 15+ year old game but current year models :D