DiRTy Gossip

Game development is a tuff business [edit -deleted the obvious].   I have come to grips lately that Codemasters corporate is not a serious sim developer, they are a consol first company.  The devs pour thier hearts into the game, but have to work within the means they are handed by corporate.  

I dont know the size or Kunos and Slight Mad, they have found the funds for licensing and figured out how to fund the ongoing development time, if that is via DLC or whatever.  They have both been able to produce pretty well received titles and keep them moving forward throughout games lifecycle.  And both titles are a relatively nich sim market.  

People are willing to spend thier money for DLC even anticipate it (ie. AC getting Porsche license), I dont see people complaining with thier wallets like so many imply or post. 

gfRally said:
Game development is a tuff business [edit -deleted the obvious].   I have come to grips lately that Codemasters corporate is not a serious sim developer, they are a consol first company.  The devs pour thier hearts into the game, but have to work within the means they are handed by corporate.  

I dont know the size or Kunos and Slight Mad, they have found the funds for licensing and figured out how to fund the ongoing development time, if that is via DLC or whatever.  They have both been able to produce pretty well received titles and keep them moving forward throughout games lifecycle.  And both titles are a relatively nich sim market.  

People are willing to spend thier money for DLC even anticipate it (ie. AC getting Porsche license), I dont see people complaining with thier wallets like so many imply or post. 
I agree, it sounds like the team had to push hard to get DR made to prove that a rally sim is what people wanted. It feels like D4 needed some more dev time to fully get it ready. I don't think Kunos and SMS are as much corporate influenced unlike CM who have been around for a long time.

gfRally said:

Agreed, but I hoped that sim mode was a way to handle that.

As for DLC- I think it would prove a big fail ATM. Too large group of people are unhappy with current physics, IMHO just small fraction of player base would invest more money into D4.

SamRWD said:
gfRally said:

As for DLC- I think it would prove a big fail ATM. Too large group of people are unhappy with current physics, IMHO just small fraction of player base would invest more money into D4.
I understand that and agree with you, certainly first a patch is needed.  In the long term of keeping a game being worked on further than those first couple of patches, DLC could (maybe) bring funds in to keep MORE improvements coming.  

gfRally said:
SamRWD said:
gfRally said:

I understand that and agree with you, certainly first a patch is needed.  In the long term of keeping a game being worked on further than those first couple of patches, DLC could (maybe) bring funds in to keep MORE improvements coming.  

Of course, if we get things sorted out, I will make sure to buy every single DLC Codies throw at me LOL.
Furthermore I would gladly pay subscription fee if that would make things come together and excel in the future.

The game is very good, as fun as Dirt Rally, although not as much of as simulator. Codemasters' error was presenting it like a "Dirt Rally 2", as "infinite (with a subjective meaning of "infinitely different" and keeping Dirt Rally's remarkable stage quality) number of rally routes". Had they said "this is a return to the CMR roots" people would be in love with the game at this moment. They hyped the game to levels they couldn't return, even though they returned a lot. 

If they were like "we're starting the Your Stage tool, not 100% yet" nobody would be complaining about the mostly bland stages but rather praising what -- rightfully is -- one of the biggest inovations, if not the biggest, in the recent history of racing games, and that finally gives rally games a meaning related to the real world other than a very hard exercise of memorization.

This could be easily solved if Code gave us a word, a smoke signal or whatever, but they seem to basically have vanished like they did when F1 2014 was released. We all know the result for F1 2015... 

Anyway, I liked it and I will keep playing it, a lot. But the whole situation still leaves a bitter taste, mainly when I think "the dark times" (like with F1 2014) may be coming back.

mattpetty said:
The game is very good, as fun as Dirt Rally, although not as much of as simulator. Codemasters' error was presenting it like a "Dirt Rally 2", as "infinite (with a subjective meaning of "infinitely different" and keeping Dirt Rally's remarkable stage quality) number of rally routes". Had they said "this is a return to the CMR roots" people would be in love with the game at this moment. They hyped the game to levels they couldn't return, even though they returned a lot. 

If they were like "we're starting the Your Stage tool, not 100% yet" nobody would be complaining about the mostly bland stages but rather praising what -- rightfully is -- one of the biggest inovations, if not the biggest, in the recent history of racing games, and that finally gives rally games a meaning related to the real world other than a very hard exercise of memorization.

This could be easily solved if Code gave us a word, a smoke signal or whatever, but they seem to basically have vanished like they did when F1 2014 was released. We all know the result for F1 2015... 

Anyway, I liked it and I will keep playing it, a lot. But the whole situation still leaves a bitter taste, mainly when I think "the dark times" (like with F1 2014) may be coming back.
Firstly the physics being not as 'sim' as dirt rally is only opinion. There are many areas which are miles better than DR, and others that aren't quite as good.

Secondly coming out with a new game any saying 'we've got this new thing, it's alright but we haven't got it right yet' isn't a great way of selling a game!

mattpetty said:
This could be easily solved if Code gave us a word, a smoke signal or whatever, but they seem to basically have vanished like they did when F1 2014 was released.
On the latest Dirt Show, Paul Coleman said they're aware of the grip complaints and are looking into it; for the last two patches, Christina McGrath has invited feedback; and other Codies have been active in the forums responding to players since launch.

dwkGravey said:
mattpetty said:
This could be easily solved if Code gave us a word, a smoke signal or whatever, but they seem to basically have vanished like they did when F1 2014 was released.
On the latest Dirt Show, Paul Coleman said they're aware of the grip complaints and are looking into it; for the last two patches, Christina McGrath has invited feedback; and other Codies have been active in the forums responding to players since launch.
Oh yeah, forget what I said about it then  :), very good.

And RallyDriven, well, "opinion" but it doesn't take more than a bit of common sense to know Group B cars do not have a glued rear to the ground (and well, although this can be adjustable by setup, it isn't the right way to drive in this game as you lose as much time as if you were driving like this in a circuit racer). Besides, here I'm just reflecting the opinion of the community overall in physics (the people on Steam...). I think the physics in Dirt 4 has many good things Rally did not have, like the cars actually have mass and you can't go crashing the car into snow banks to gain time. And promising the world and not delivering it is also a great way of selling a game, right... the Steam charts speak by themselves.

A few hundred pages ago, someone mentioned that VW Polo '17 is not under WRC license, and @KickUp acknowledged that... anything more on that?

OH MY GOD I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT BEAST IN DIRT 4!!!!

Pretty please with a cherry on top :)

well christina has said there will be a road book.so lets see what will be in that today B)

Sho846 said:
A few hundred pages ago, someone mentioned that VW Polo '17 is not under WRC license, and @KickUp acknowledged that... anything more on that?

What category would it be in though? It can't be in the R5 category can it and I can't see them making a new category just for that?

Sho846 said:

What category would it be in though? It can't be in the R5 category can it and I can't see them making a new category just for that?
I can. There's a category just for the 205 gti.

Sho846 said:

I can. There's a category just for the 205 gti.
Fair enough then

And with that fun run, we’ll leave it there for this week’s update – enjoy your weekends! And by the way – you’re going to want to make sure to do your Daily Events this weekend… :D

Hmmm? Kebab pizza in stages or what? 

dgeesi0 said:
well christina has said there will be a road book.so lets see what will be in that today B)
achievement unlocked - crushing disappointment! 

@KickUp or anyone else who knows...

How we can get / unlock the Wurth Livery for the Lancia Delta S4 RX? None Team has this Livery, and i already got Triple Crown...

... And why we can't choose, and equip the cars we own, with the other unique / rare Gr.B RX Liveries from the Garage? Same thing applies to ( e.g. ) Castrol Livery for Focus '07, KN Livery for Alpine, etc...

Edit to add: If the Delta S4 RX Wurth Livery is suppose to come through Classifieds, there's some bug for sure. I've Tier A on everything, in my Facilities, and i never, ever, saw this Livery to show up, since Day 1.

Alf72 said:

Edit to add: If the Delta S4 RX Wurth Livery is suppose to come through Classifieds, there's some bug for sure. I've Tier A on everything, in my Facilities, and i never, ever, saw this Livery to show up, since Day 1.

I've bought it as my first or second car from Classifieds. Weird.

Alf72 said:

@KickUp or anyone else who knows...

How we can get / unlock the Wurth Livery for the Lancia Delta S4 RX? None Team has this Livery, and i already got Triple Crown...

... And why we can't choose, and equip the cars we own, with the other unique / rare Gr.B RX Liveries from the Garage? Same thing applies to ( e.g. ) Castrol Livery for Focus '07, KN Livery for Alpine, etc...

The rng gods hate us I think. That's a livery I've yet to see in classifieds as well.

qmass said:
dgeesi0 said:
achievement unlocked - crushing disappointment! 
Looks like someone needs to read between the lines!

versedi said:

And with that fun run, we’ll leave it there for this week’s update – enjoy your weekends! And by the way – you’re going to want to make sure to do your Daily Events this weekend… :D

Hmmm? Kebab pizza in stages or what? 
Hmm, I did the dailys this weekend and didn't notice anything different. What was she referring to?

@KickUp Let us choose for our cars, from Garage, all the other Teams liveries available for each car, please.

This could be something we "unlock" after getting Triple Crown, as a bonus.

Why do i have to use a bland red livery, for Delta S4 RX ( the only one we can choose for this car ), when some Team can have / use the Wurth livery? This livery doesn't even pop up in the Classifieds, for Delta S4 RX...

Alf72 said:

This livery doesn't even pop up in the Classifieds, for Delta S4 RX...

It does, I have it in my garage for a long time.