DiRTy Gossip

Operator1 said:

I don’t really understand all this negativity, it’s pretty obvious that most people here are interested in sim rally games, so why is everyone angry that a completely different studio is making an arcade racer? You just simply don’t but the game and it’s not a problem for you.

Maybe it's the feeling that scarce resources are already spread too thin to give proper attention to what matters more to some people. We often hear/read "they're not a big-budget triple-AAA studio/publisher, so they don't have the resources to do what other game companies do" - so, it might seem to some like a waste of limited resources to pursue what might seem to some like low-return endeavors at the expense of things they care more about.

They didn’t take on another entire studio just to work on updates for dirt 4 though! They took them over ages ago, and we’ve known since the beginning they have been working on a completely new project. Dirt has been quiet partly due to F1 marketing. I imagine the team must have started to move on to the next project by now, which they definitely won’t be able to talk about for some time. Hopefully something will come for dirt 4 though 
Yes, a lot of our resource has been focused on F1 these past few months (with it being an annual title, it always gets crazy for F1 due to how much needs doing in such a small amount of time) - but there is more to it than that. Our hands have been tied somewhat when it comes to DiRT 4; for example, we've been working on a really cool competitive thing, but we have partners for this which means we have agreements to be signed, plans to be made, and NDAs in place around it. This is stuff you will hear about!! But, it's stuff we have to be vague on until the inevitable embargo lifts. 

On updating the game: Clubs is coming (and we're sorry about how late that is - we've hit all sorts of hurdles when trying to get the features polished) and if all goes well that'll be here in a couple of weeks - and with it a fairly large patch too. Speaking candidly, there are a lot of moving parts behind the scenes at the moment, and while we're working on things you've fed back on, whether or not we can realistically bring it to this project is the question. Alas, these are decisions made by the people who make the big bucks and allocate where the big bucks go internally. 

Again, I'm sorry this isn't the news you're all hoping for, and I am wildly aware that it's still rather vague - but seeing as though I'm not in the business of making things up or over-promising, I hope this goes someway to explaining the quietness! 

Thank you for the honest words. We'd all love to hear great news about the game, but I'm really happy when you devs speak frankly and I truly appreciate that you do. Wish you the best.

I think you also haven't used "Soon™" in all of this ;) 

Community competition will only work if the ‘feel’ is improved.  DiRT 4 is a great polished game let down by obscure physics traits as you’ve by now gathered.  I don’t think it’s a bad game.  I just don’t think the handling is immersive anymore.  I crave that to be fixed.  If it was, I would enjoy both the game & community competition.  

Without a handling fix, I won’t have anough interest or curiosity to even load the game to see how the Competition/Clubs even work...

Am I alone?  I don’t really think so.

Make the magic happen guys.  It’s not too late....

I would definitely not describe DiRT 4 as polished. It has a bunch of new features compared to Rally but they mostly need work. 

-A whole bunch of cars that can't be used effectively in single player rally because AI time generation for your stage is borked.

-Team management that the game isn't properly balanced around. (I decided to go back and finish Rally part of triple crown, doing perfectly fine with an E rated crew chief and no engineers.)

-Team management that punishes the player by locking them out of using set-ups that they've put all of the effort into making.

-The default set ups being so awful.

-Frequently poor pace-notes with camber calls removed entirely but for some reason still mentioned in the tutorial.

-Pro tour's ridiculous over-punishment of disconnects. 

-Sponsor system that doesn't take anything into account, for example always having a sponsor expect an overall win in every rally you've driven before regardless of class.

Polish is something this game is desperately lacking.

Operator1 said:

I don’t really understand all this negativity, it’s pretty obvious that most people here are interested in sim rally games, so why is everyone angry that a completely different studio is making an arcade racer? You just simply don’t but the game and it’s not a problem for you.

Maybe it's the feeling that scarce resources are already spread too thin to give proper attention to what matters more to some people. We often hear/read "they're not a big-budget triple-AAA studio/publisher, so they don't have the resources to do what other game companies do" - so, it might seem to some like a waste of limited resources to pursue what might seem to some like low-return endeavors at the expense of things they care more about.

They didn’t take on another entire studio just to work on updates for dirt 4 though! They took them over ages ago, and we’ve known since the beginning they have been working on a completely new project. Dirt has been quiet partly due to F1 marketing. I imagine the team must have started to move on to the next project by now, which they definitely won’t be able to talk about for some time. Hopefully something will come for dirt 4 though 
Yes, a lot of our resource has been focused on F1 these past few months (with it being an annual title, it always gets crazy for F1 due to how much needs doing in such a small amount of time) - but there is more to it than that. Our hands have been tied somewhat when it comes to DiRT 4; for example, we've been working on a really cool competitive thing, but we have partners for this which means we have agreements to be signed, plans to be made, and NDAs in place around it. This is stuff you will hear about!! But, it's stuff we have to be vague on until the inevitable embargo lifts. 

On updating the game: Clubs is coming (and we're sorry about how late that is - we've hit all sorts of hurdles when trying to get the features polished) and if all goes well that'll be here in a couple of weeks - and with it a fairly large patch too. Speaking candidly, there are a lot of moving parts behind the scenes at the moment, and while we're working on things you've fed back on, whether or not we can realistically bring it to this project is the question. Alas, these are decisions made by the people who make the big bucks and allocate where the big bucks go internally. 

Again, I'm sorry this isn't the news you're all hoping for, and I am wildly aware that it's still rather vague - but seeing as though I'm not in the business of making things up or over-promising, I hope this goes someway to explaining the quietness! 

That's an improvement on the radio silence. Nice to at least hear something tangible from the source.

So lets get gossiping then  ;)
"Competitive thing" sounds like esports. But there is an embargo. So I'm putting two and two together and saying after the bad reception of dirt 4 the parties involved in the "agreements to be signed" are having doubts about it and there are difficult discussions around weather to even go ahead with it or what changes need to be made.
Now the patch itself "if all goes well that'll be here in a couple of weeks" seems to be the line we've heard for the last couple months so in all likely hood won't be here for another couple of months especially considering they are still at the point they can't talk about the update and it takes some time to go through approval for consoles.
Now if we look at things we have given feedback on "
whether or not we can realistically bring it to this project is the question" is the nice way of saying it's too much work so we won't bring those to this project especially when you read "I'm sorry this isn't the news you're all hoping for" which says to me "decisions made by the people who make the big bucks and allocate where the big bucks go internally" is to ditch dirt 4 as soon as possible and make a different game which they can sell and get money from.

I just realised analysis of every sentence (and taking quotes out of context) like I've just done is likely kinda the reason codies don't like sharing information until they're 100% with what they're doing but wild speculation is fun so I'm going to post it anyway (just don't expect my wild speculation to be accurate)

Well, that's Triple Crown: Rally done on fearless. Was getting creamed in the delta s4. Switched to the quattro and cleaned up while driving much slower. Delta I set a couple of (since beaten I'm sure) world records while losing stages by ~20 seconds. Quattro I just won Sweden by over two and a half minutes and I didn't drive particularly well. What a joke.

KevM said:
Community competition will only work if the ‘feel’ is improved.  DiRT 4 is a great polished game let down by obscure physics traits as you’ve by now gathered.  I don’t think it’s a bad game.  I just don’t think the handling is immersive anymore.  I crave that to be fixed.  If it was, I would enjoy both the game & community competition.  

Without a handling fix, I won’t have anough interest or curiosity to even load the game to see how the Competition/Clubs even work...

Am I alone?  I don’t really think so.

Make the magic happen guys.  It’s not too late....
I've said it before, but I'd love to love Australia, probably followed by Spain, but Australia is just so weird to drive on I just couldn't get to grips with it. Spain was pretty good, but I like my dirt.

adsadsads said:
I would definitely not describe DiRT 4 as polished. It has a bunch of new features compared to Rally but they mostly need work. 

-A whole bunch of cars that can't be used effectively in single player rally because AI time generation for your stage is borked.

-Team management that the game isn't properly balanced around. (I decided to go back and finish Rally part of triple crown, doing perfectly fine with an E rated crew chief and no engineers.)

-Team management that punishes the player by locking them out of using set-ups that they've put all of the effort into making.

-Frequently poor pace-notes with camber calls removed entirely but for some reason still mentioned in the tutorial.

-Sponsor system that doesn't take anything into account, for example always having a sponsor expect an overall win in every rally you've driven before regardless of class.

The word that better describes DiRT 4 is "rushed" I think. With a little more development time it could have really been a good game. It would have also been better if it had decided what it wanted to be: a numbered and funny DiRT game with all sorts of rallycross and landrush and crazy challenges, multiplayer minigames and just a general fun and chilled atmosphere,
OR a sequel to DiRT Rally with the ambition and the focus on becoming the best and most complete rally sim ever made.

carpa said:
adsadsads said:

The word that better describes DiRT 4 is "rushed" I think. With a little more development time it could have really been a good game. It would have also been better if it had decided what it wanted to be: a numbered and funny DiRT game with all sorts of rallycross and landrush and crazy challenges, multiplayer minigames and just a general fun and chilled atmosphere,
OR a sequel to DiRT Rally with the ambition and the focus on becoming the best and most complete rally sim ever made.
Yep. I can assure you it was rushed in every single possible way.

Thing is, for it being a numbered Dirt game it lacks the party atmosphere and fun. For us that loved Dirt Rally it lacks it's soul and "rawness". It's an in between that doesn't really satisfies anybody.

I'm pretty sure that many in the dev team are quite gutted about how D4 and it's reception turned out, but the big guys upstairs wanted a numbered Dirt title out, and fast.

bogani said:
carpa said:
adsadsads said:

Thing is, for it being a numbered Dirt game it lacks the party atmosphere and fun. For us that loved Dirt Rally it lacks it's soul and "rawness". It's an in between that doesn't really satisfies anybody.

I'm pretty sure that many in the dev team are quite gutted about how D4 and it's reception turned out, but the big guys upstairs wanted a numbered Dirt title out, and fast.
Exactly. I mean, I would have been fine with an arcade-ish game which was really fun and with lots of content, but DiRT 4 would then be the first ever arcade rally game where drifting is difficult :/

I don't know why people have such a problem with D4. Its a fun game, I like it. No game is perfect. Its much more satisfying if you take each game for what it is.

I don't know why people have such a problem with D4. Its a fun game, I like it. No game is perfect. Its much more satisfying if you take each game for what it is.
Sure it`s fun in a black box.
But for those who had tremendous fun with Dirt Rally, it`s predecessor, there was a certain expectation which wasn`t fully delivered on. I would wish for a rally simulator, which captures the motorsport as real as possible, while still being fun. Like, I have to admit, Pcars2 managed to do for track-motorsport. Many hoped D4 would be that and there are steps in the right direction (drive to marshal, team management, damage improvement, the general "idea" of yourstage...) but also noticebly step-backs from DR and that`s the real thing people are upset about (some physics problem related to grip, the repetitiveness of yourstage, ...) And the general lack of post-launch support compared to what the community was used to with DR.

For me, D4 is after all still superior to DR, due to better tarmac, better weight-physics, better  cars, but it isn`t what I hoped for. So I hoped that it would be crafted to that post-launch, as many others did, but so far nothing. I got my moneys worth with well over 100h played but I won`t get close to DRs 350h.
What I hoped for was generally a DiRT Rally with fixed weight physics, realistic damage, more cars, more locations, longer stages and more immersion (like driving to marshall), all deliverd in good working VR. And by now my hopes are fading on D4 becoming that. 

So why are many frustrated here? Because Codemasters is after all this still the best when it comes to offroad. So the hopes for the perfect offroad sim lay mainly on them currently. I`m all for competition but it looks bad elsewhere. Milestone? Pffhh... sounds are killing any immersion. Kylotonn? Nice stages, bad physics resolution and no VR. Even now DR is way ahead to them. And that`s already all. Literally no other competition. It`s arguably a niche market.. So hopes go to CM and so does frustration.

Maybe SMS does actually split the franchise and make a Rally Sim, i think that could be equal competition for once.

Different players play for different reasons. For general racing games, most people aren't focused on the details or realism ; it may be all about just having fun or having an experience, competing with friends or just goofing off - nothing wrong with that at all. However, some of us don't have fun with a title unless we feel a connection with the virtual car and environment that immerses us in the experience at a much more intense level. 

Better hardware, VR, and other factors such as motion or tactile feedback all add to greater immersion which elevates the experience even more but, they sometimes serve to highlight things that are missing or not very convincing in a title. Simulation takes such detail and immersion to the next level but, I think the team creating the game has to be passionate about the same things we are in order to pull it off.  Dirt Rally is certainly one of the titles to provide a blend of fun and glimpses of Simulation.

Today, there are really only 3 or 4 racing-titles that I consider to have the right ingredients to be really, really immersive for my use where I will play them almost daily for months / years. No Rally title has fit into that group yet but, I do hope for one.

carpa said:
Exactly. I mean, I would have been fine with an arcade-ish game which was really fun and with lots of content, but DiRT 4 would then be the first ever arcade rally game where drifting is difficult :/
Although the handling authenticity is questioning, DiRT 4 is a simulator. It use more simulation value than DiRT Rally.

Racing sim has different level of simulation value... Although they all have a different feelings in the authenticity of the handling. Some simulate day, night or weather, tire pressure, wings, chassis flex, etc.

My personal favorite from youtubers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KzLLvD7q9U

carpa said:
bogani said:
carpa said:
adsadsads said:

The Crew is difficult to drift in. And if you feel like taking cheap shots, Project Cars.

MrDeap said:
carpa said:
Although the handling authenticity is questioning, DiRT 4 is a simulator. It use more simulation value than DiRT Rally.
It’s not simulating a car that I have ever driven.  So, what exactly is it a simulation of?  

A simulation should replicate the behavior of the thing its thing it’s trying to emulate.

Dirt Rally did that.  Cars had the same characteristics that their real life versions displayed.
Everyone concludes that they were too light & fly-away.  That only happened because stage jumps were profiled to suit V1 cars.  

The cars weren’t the issue, the jumps were.

This just popped up on my FB page :D                                

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NMLZ2y5Bw

This just popped up on my FB page :D                                

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NMLZ2y5Bw

looks to arcade :D

JZStudios said:
carpa said:
bogani said:
carpa said:
adsadsads said:

The Crew is difficult to drift in. And if you feel like taking cheap shots, Project Cars.

the Crew isn't that difficult to drift in. Once you get used to it, it actually has quite nice, if not a bit floaty handling

I don’t want to do the whole handling argument again, but both dirt rally and dirt 4 have their handling floors. I’d say somewhere between the two is probably the best

Off Topic(ish) Alert: So a couple of weekends ago I went to RallyLegend. It's an absolutely incredible event, with some of the best entries and most interesting rally stages I have been on. I was there with my missus and, as it was supposed to be a holiday, I didn't make much use of the camera. I did take a handful of pictures though, so here are a few...

...few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22961613@N06/albums/72157688829702714

If any of you are interested in seeing any more pictures. If you do ever happen to find yourself in a position where you can get to RallyLegend, then I can't recommend it enough!

tbtstt said:

Every time I see a 206 WRC I get disappointed over the fact that it isn't in DiRT Rally or DiRT4. 1999 - 2005 had the best WRC cars in my opinion

KevM said:
MrDeap said:
carpa said:
It’s not simulating a car that I have ever driven.  So, what exactly is it a simulation of?  

A simulation should replicate the behavior of the thing its thing it’s trying to emulate.

Dirt Rally did that.  Cars had the same characteristics that their real life versions displayed.
Everyone concludes that they were too light & fly-away.  That only happened because stage jumps were profiled to suit V1 cars.  

The cars weren’t the issue, the jumps were.

From what I understand from Codemasters, DiRT rally is that it doesn't use a correct scientific model to recreate the authenticity of the handling, thus hold no simulation value.

A simulation game has to use the correct scientific model, although simplified, to recreate the driving handling which DiRT 4 has over DiRT Rally from what I understand, although the engineering product result is questioning.

Pure balls.  It’s the same model with added aero.  They worked a bit on a tyre model for rally cross

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
carpa said:
bogani said:
carpa said:
adsadsads said:

the Crew isn't that difficult to drift in. Once you get used to it, it actually has quite nice, if not a bit floaty handling
Really?/ Maybe you're using controller, because with my wheel it's near impossible. I take a 1970s Challenger at 120mph, rip the handbrake, turn in, and nothing happens. Just turns. The only "drifting" I get is on the ice part.

@tbtstt
I still hate your name.
How do you get those super clear movement shots? I mean, fast shutter speed n such sure, but are you just lucky and manage to match the speed or what?