DiRTy Gossip

gfRally said:
Let's not forget the Toyotas guys...

:/
It stinks that we won't see Toyotas in racing games because for some reason they keep pulling out.
Apparently they feel that it's a 'bad investment' to put their cars into racing games because people are unlikely to buy their cars off of it, which is a silly reason until you realize that they're actually sort of right if all you care about is making as much profit as physically possible which is definitely what Toyota is about now.
Today, what do they REALLY have to offer?  Do you really want to drive a virtual Camry or Prius?  ick!  And most of their trucks are rather bland, well can't single out Toyota on trucks, basically everyone has similar design.  
I wouldn't say no to this:

YEAH Toyota has a rep here in the states for being bland and catering to jus tthe crowd who wants reliable point A-B cars .That said,the 86 is a real drivers car and it needs to make it into a lose surface sim soon i hope!!!!!!!!!!!
Celicas,all generations, were great at rallying i just tcant believe they killed the name .Now if we could get the GRMN Yaris in the states...............

JZStudios said:
BadD0g said:
Semi-On-Topic: Matt Farah got to drive a works Stratos, he didn't get to really wring it out much because it's part of a collection still fun to see.
I'm still not sure if I find this car attractive or hideous. And... that window looks super broken, but it's either A. Italian design/engineering/quality, and it is, or B. Italian design/engineering/quality and it isn't. And that puzzles me greatly.
I wish I could be super witty and name someone who fits the bill of crossing between attractive and hideous... but I'm tired.
So here's a picture of some.... asian ladyboys.... for you're confusion.

Lancias might be known for self-destructing themselves in the UK but I think we can all agree Lancia (and Abarth) were damn good at making dominant rally cars. And I'm definitely not saying that 'cause I'm Italian. It makes it even sadder that the only car they're still producing is the Ypsilon :s ... 

BTW I think the Stratos was fairly well known for being incredibly good at rallying and just that
PS: I had to edit that photo out of your post. Sorry but I just had to.

carpa said:

Lancias might be known for self-destructing themselves in the UK but I think we can all agree Lancia (and Abarth) were damn good at making dominant rally cars. And I'm definitely not saying that 'cause I'm Italian. It makes it even sadder that the only car they're still producing is the Ypsilon :s ... 
Absolutely! I have huge respect for Lancia rally cars - and their history in the sport - but I have little desire to actually own one! Such a shame that the name is attached to such boring cars now.
carpa said:

BTW I think the Stratos was fairly well known for being incredibly good at rallying and just that

The Stratos was designed from scratch as a rally car. It is one of only three rally cars where the design started with a clean piece of paper and wasn't based on an existing model in the range.

(Maximum nerd points if you know the other two)

tbtstt said:
carpa said:

Absolutely! I have huge respect for Lancia rally cars - and their history in the sport - but I have little desire to actually own one! Such a shame that the name is attached to such boring cars now.
carpa said:

The Stratos was designed from scratch as a rally car. It is one of only three rally cars where the design started with a clean piece of paper and wasn't based on an existing model in the range.

I also heard that in some places it became a popular road car as well.

tbtstt said:

Weren't it the lancia 037 and the Ford rs200? 

carpa said:
JZStudios said:
BadD0g said:
Semi-On-Topic: Matt Farah got to drive a works Stratos, he didn't get to really wring it out much because it's part of a collection still fun to see.
I'm still not sure if I find this car attractive or hideous. And... that window looks super broken, but it's either A. Italian design/engineering/quality, and it is, or B. Italian design/engineering/quality and it isn't. And that puzzles me greatly.
I wish I could be super witty and name someone who fits the bill of crossing between attractive and hideous... but I'm tired.
So here's a picture of some.... asian ladyboys.... for you're confusion.

PS: I had to edit that photo out of your post. Sorry but I just had to.
WAS the ypsilon, now not even that car anymore

Lynx2000 said:
tbtstt said:

tbtstt said:
carpa said:

To be precise their name isn't attached to any car at all in most of the world nowadays... here in Italy they keep on selling the Ypsilon (which should be ashamed of using the same badge the Delta or 037 used if it wasn't for the fact they also changed that to this awful new restyling)

and in every other country of the world they don't sell anymore I think (not that y'all are losing something though). The whole brand is probably going to die of a slow, unnoticed death and all that will be left will be those 10 Manufacturers Championships and some awesome cars. Which is enough to underline why it's a shame Lancia will be soon gone, probably forever. 

54. Rallye Automobile de Monte-Carlo 1986
WINNER H.Toivonen - S.Cresto
#7 Lancia Delta S4

carpa said:
tbtstt said:
carpa said:

To be precise their name isn't attached to any car at all in most of the world nowadays... here in Italy they keep on selling the Ypsilon (which should be ashamed of using the same badge the Delta or 037 used if it wasn't for the fact they also changed that to this awful new restyling)

and in every other country of the world they don't sell anymore I think (not that y'all are losing something though). The whole brand is probably going to die of a slow, unnoticed death and all that will be left will be those 10 Manufacturers Championships and some awesome cars. Which is enough to underline why it's a shame Lancia will be soon gone, probably forever. 

#7 Lancia Delta S4
One of the coolest looking cars I have ever seen!

carpa said:
tbtstt said:
carpa said:

#7 Lancia Delta S4
One of the coolest looking cars I have ever seen!
Except those dinner plate rims, man they're ugly!! Thankfully they're not always on :P

carpa said:
tbtstt said:
carpa said:

#7 Lancia Delta S4
I thought Lancia had already been dead for a while. In the States we have a few brands that somehow still clung/cling to life despite absolutely no one remembering or acknowledging their existence.

I'm disappointed that post was removed though. I mean, c'mon, page 634 went without a problem.

tbtstt said:
Lynx2000 said:
tbtstt said:

Wasn't the 037 based on Lancia Beta?
also, what about this thing?

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:
Lynx2000 said:
tbtstt said:

Wasn't the 037 based on Lancia Beta?

Loosely based. I think the central tub was the same and that was it. The Lancia engineers weren't under instruction to make the car look like anything that rolled off the production line though so, like the Stratos, the aesthetics of the car were shaped by performance alone. 

Ford saved a bit of time with the RS200 by robbing various trim bits from other cars in their range, but the underpinnings of the car were designed from scratch with rallying alone in mind. 

Although you could argue that several other rally cars are a long way from the models they are supposed to resemble (the Delta S4 is the first car that springs to mind), there were at least some minor compromises made with regards to the bodywork of the car in order to tie it to a car in the showroom. 

also, what about this thing?

Believe it or not, I have pondered over this one myself as the way this car was conceived was as a pure rally/rallycross car. Given that the R4 project was never completed (and the car never reached production), I personally don't view it in the same light as the Stratos, 037 or RS200 though.

Additionally, even if the car had reached production, the basis of it's design was a Ford chassis and several of the panels are from the same car (which you can clearly see if you look at the R4). I think there is a fine line between using existing panels/parts to save time when designing or new car, or heavily modifying an existing car. Perhaps I am underestimating the design work that went into the R4, but I think it might fall into the latter category. 

i also  read on the history of the Impreza, that after it replacing the Legacy in rallying,it was designed with rallying in mind.Wheel travel,engine/intercooler packaging,ease of service etc .Not a pure rally car by design ,but has roots for being conceived as a car with great rallying potential.

btw .how many R4s have McRae completed ?
Just one prototype built by DJM motorsport.
Here is the full story of it,  with a little mention of codemasters :
http://www.djm-motorsport.co.uk/McRaeR4.html

Petter Solberg wanted to buy one, but the project never went further.

i also  read on the history of the Impreza, that after it replacing the Legacy in rallying,it was designed with rallying in mind.Wheel travel,engine/intercooler packaging,ease of service etc .Not a pure rally car by design ,but has roots for being conceived as a car with great rallying potential.
Yeah, the original Impreza was effectively a shortened Legacy, the thinking at the time was that a shorter wheelbase would make the car more agile and a better rally car. Given that it had to be a mass produced model for the showroom it couldn't be solely focused on competition use but, as you say, the roots of the Impreza are in rallying.

thanks for that ,appreciate it ! Isaw the different liveries and thought there were more of them 
DJM re-prepared the car late in 2007 to the McRae Sport livery. It appeared at the Autosport and Goodwood FoS McRae tributes in 2008...

...and it has made a few other odd appearances at various McRae tributes over the years. 

I have long wondered how big a cheque you would need to wave at DJM to get them to build a McRae R4 of your own!

Off topic, but interesting:
Polish game studio - Techland have just announced the official DAKAR game. It will contain full license including cars and drivers, and big open world map. Trailer is below
https://youtu.be/50GhBe6NL8M

Well, something is going on, Codies updated the 'qatestbranch' 7 hours ago. Hopefully we are getting closer to an update.
hello

what is the qatestbranch????