DiRTy Gossip

Let 100-500 ( or more, depending of how many you need to test the game ) players of each Community ( DiRT, F1, GRiD, etc ) play an Alpha / Beta of the Game, for a couple of months before release, and you have your Game Testers ( for free ). Nothing beats the Community.

Don't miss this oppurtunity and start working with your Community, Codies.

The ugly truth about a lot of software & game testing is that often only the very highest priority issues are deemed worthy of the resources needed to resolve them - and "high priority" means the issue must totally break the software & render it completely non-functional. ...It's not entirely different than when paying customers report bugs post-launch only to be told things like "nothing is perfect, and it's not game-breaking, so stop complaining."

Long hours and low pay doing repetitive tasks. At the contract employee level you will probably be given test plans that you execute over and over, not really free form bug hunting. But I have never worked on that side of things, and it probably varies considerably between organizations.

its a great stepping stone position.if you ask many even in this thread some of them started at codies as testers.i done it before. if i was available i would definitely go to codies to do it.seems a great place to work and as said you get a great chance at doing something you like love . B)

carpa said:
https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/940626472200540162?s=17

Games Testers Wanted, huh? There might be something going on at the Codies HQs...
Probably also for the DiRT Franchise but I'll never know because I live way too far and I'm way too young. Still something worth some Gossip on I think
Should have said on that ad: perks include being in on all of the fun stuff that stays inside the building far before it goes public. ;)

carpa said:

Games Testers Wanted, huh? There might be something going on at the Codies HQs...
Probably also for the DiRT Franchise but I'll never know because I live way too far and I'm way too young. Still something worth some Gossip on I think
Should have said on that ad: perks include being in on all of the fun stuff that stays inside the building far before it goes public. ;)
Awwww, I thought that's what the community visits were for @ChristinaMc!

carpa said:

In this day and age, you don't need to be " inside of the building " to be a Game Tester. Reading the comments of your twitt, it's not possible to work from home ( for now ), and i'm sure that a lot of us would consider / apply to the job, if that was possible... but i'll say again, i'd prefer if you guys would go the Alpha/Beta path.

Alf72 said:
carpa said:

In this day and age, you don't need to be " inside of the building " to be a Game Tester. Reading the comments of your twitt, it's not possible to work from home ( for now ), and i'm sure that a lot of us would consider / apply to the job, if that was possible... but i'll say again, i'd prefer if you guys would go the Alpha/Beta path.
As enamel pointed out, being a game tester isn't the same as playing an alpha/beta and (maybe, voluntarily) reporting bugs. You think you'll be playing a sweet game early, but in QA you're just as likely to be assigned glamorous tasks like disconnecting the controller thirty times in a row to see if or how the game freaks out and reporting on that.

dwkGravey said:
Alf72 said:
carpa said:

As enamel pointed out, being a game tester isn't the same as playing an alpha/beta and (maybe, voluntarily) reporting bugs. You think you'll be playing a sweet game early, but in QA you're just as likely to be assigned glamorous tasks like disconnecting the controller thirty times in a row to see if or how the game freaks out and reporting on that.
Matt from 2 best friends did QA on Deus Ex Human Revolution for like 2 years, and they had to remove some... things... for the Japanese market. So there was a task force that got assigned to "D**** duty" searching all around the games map for any and all items to be removed for the Japanese release.

carpa said:

i have a dirty mind.... :D

dgeesi0 said:
carpa said:

i have a dirty mind.... :D
Looks at forum title, looks back at post... Your in the right place!

dwkGravey said:
Alf72 said:
carpa said:

Also, if you're testing a game in the early stages it's not going to be pretty or very polished and probably be a pain to work with. @CMMcBabe is the person to ask but he's currently on holiday so it might be a while before he sees this!

I would be more into the feel and way it plays.  I know and trust that you guys are great with the detail & polish.

Just looked at my "on this day" in Facebook, and saw this from 2008: "is suprised Subaru have pulled out of World Rally"

So long ago now

Well, I’m now off for a few days for Christmas.

I think a bit of the awesome that is DiRT Rally, will be on the agenda....   :)

In completely unrelated news, I'm very much disappointed in what The Crew 2 is shaping up to be. I can't think of a single reason to recommend it over Forza Horizon, or hell even GTA.
All they had to do was make it control well. Some of the decisions they made in the handling baffles me.

KevM said:
Well, I’m now off for a few days for Christmas.

I think a bit of the awesome that is DiRT Rally, will be on the agenda....   :)
tempted to get my wheel back out of storage and do some dirt rally and dirt 4. been a while. fancy some rally B)

JZStudios said:
In completely unrelated news, I'm very much disappointed in what The Crew 2 is shaping up to be. I can't think of a single reason to recommend it over Forza Horizon, or hell even GTA.
All they had to do was make it control well. Some of the decisions they made in the handling baffles me.
I haven't heard much about the handling. I thought they were changing it.

Crew 2 devs did, for the slightly worse.

I couldn't survive the DUDEBRO long enough to have a researched opinion on the handling, though. The Boat/Plane handling is as bad and numb as i predicted to say the least. Does look better for the same FPS, though not that much. Some odd Forza Horizon vibe in rendering style.

Lots of odd design decisions.

Snaky115 said:
Crew 2 devs did, for the slightly worse.

I couldn't survive the DUDEBRO long enough to have a researched opinion on the handling, though. The Boat/Plane handling is as bad and numb as i predicted to say the least. Does look better for the same FPS, though not that much. Some odd Forza Horizon vibe in rendering style.

Lots of odd design decisions.
Oh, you were part of it too? I had a very strong feeling you European types would VERY much not like the "dudebro."
At this point, it's like they're trying to go absolutely head to head with Forza Horizon, which is an extremely poor choice.

JZStudios said:
I haven't heard much about the handling. I thought they were changing it.
I.... didn't get that impression. It felt more consistently stable, but still extremely bizarre at worst and boring at best. The map is designed to suit the physics, so there's no tight turns, since you can't drift... or turn... the roads are rather wide and exceptionally straight, and they have some race tracks, some that are "real" and some are fictional. Every one of them is like... 15 meters wide for the entire track. The first game had Laguna Seca and it was TERRIBLE. The track is too wide, it barely fits the actual layout, and the corkscrew is a joke. Not even a funny one.
The Crew needs to focus on having a fun map to drive around, but with boring straight roads and terrible physics the game is just boring. I think they took 90% of the Crew 1 map, and just straight up ported it into the new map, but the new map is bigger with very little new to fill in the large gaps. I read a post on the forum complaining about how terrible Laguna Seca is and how it's exactly the same as the first game. You used to be able to see Pikes Peak from damn near anywhere in the first, but in the second it's not. I'm using that to gauge my map scale. BTW, in TC2, the satellite dishes and observatory on Pikes Peak are damn near the size of the mountain. I mean, they're f'in HUGE. The road up Pikes Peak is also exactly the same.

If they don't make some major changes I imagine a lot of people (should) be very upset about how it's basically just a port of the original, + planes that handle like barges. I honestly thought the boats handled like GTA's boats (from what I can remember) and I actually kind of like how the wake from a boat ahead of you can suck you in....

Which reminds me, the biggest visible difference to the map is a suspicious amount of rivers/lakes that weren't there prior...

First look at DLC Circuit De Barcelona-Catalunya Rallycross  and Brand Hatch Rallycross Historic. for Project Cars 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIslEQOEnk
teribble driving, but the game dosent look that bad. 
I Hope,according to this tweet,  https://twitter.com/Hatward/status/938451842501144576
this was postet on Dec.6 and they said in couple of weeks...
We should get news on update (DLC) very soon for Dirt 4? Who knows, maybe will be out for/before Christmas..

First look at DLC Circuit De Barcelona-Catalunya Rallycross  and Brand Hatch Rallycross Historic. for Project Cars 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIslEQOEnk
teribble driving, but the game dosent look that bad. 
I Hope,according to this tweet,  https://twitter.com/Hatward/status/938451842501144576
this was postet on Dec.6 and they said in couple of weeks...
We should get news on update (DLC) very soon for Dirt 4? Who knows, maybe will be out for/before Christmas..

Oh that tweet probably only refers to e-sports.. Sadly