DiRTy Gossip

The radio silence by the DiRT team is kind of unsettling.

We know that DiRT 4, certainly, underperformed with regards to expectations. Its rating, amongst players, is not doing close to what DiRT Rally did and still does. This must have sent a message that players want a rally focused game, prefer it, and also, it probably suggests that they should take their time with their next project.

Honestly, I don't see the DiRT team with many chances of releasing something this year. Even if they have the WRC license, doesn't mean they'll have to make the game for this year. When the license passed from Milestone's hands to Kylotton, there was no WRC game on that year. If they're going to make a WRC game for this year, they'll have to release it around October because, otherwise, the game will lose relevance to the current season. That is, as it's been said, a very tight timeline. DiRT 4 was released in the beginning of June, last year, giving them a year and four months.

Can they do it? Yes, I think so. Would they want to do it? I don't think so.

The radio silence by the DiRT team is kind of unsettling.

We know that DiRT 4, certainly, underperformed with regards to expectations. Its rating, amongst players, is not doing close to what DiRT Rally did and still does. This must have sent a message that players want a rally focused game, prefer it, and also, it probably suggests that they should take their time with their next project.

Honestly, I don't see the DiRT team with many chances of releasing something this year. Even if they have the WRC license, doesn't mean they'll have to make the game for this year. When the license passed from Milestone's hands to Kylotton, there was no WRC game on that year. If they're going to make a WRC game for this year, they'll have to release it around October because, otherwise, the game will lose relevance to the current season. That is, as it's been said, a very tight timeline. DiRT 4 was released in the beginning of June, last year, giving them a year and four months.

Can they do it? Yes, I think so. Would they want to do it? I don't think so.
I note they already have a significant amount of the environment. Out of 13 locations they have 7.

The real question is how long do they have from signing of the licence to the game release. If the licence deal was signed around July then I guess it's possible.

Surely WRC license renewal doesn’t just come up for grabs on the last day of the old contract.  For continuity, it’s likely discussed and tendered months/years before its lapse.  Could work have started on it months/years ago, with DiRT 4 (repeating tiles based stages) thrown out as a gap filler?  They’d effectively have been tied to the WRC 8 release date being late 2018 even from day 1 of the Kylotonn contract starting?

Hmmm....

KevM said:
Surely WRC license renewal doesn’t just come up for grabs on the last day of the old contract.  For continuity, it’s likely discussed and tendered months/years before its lapse.  Could work have started on it months/years ago, with DiRT 4 (repeating tiles based stages) thrown out as a gap filler?  They’d effectively have been tied to the WRC 8 release date being late 2018 even from day 1 of the Kylotonn contract starting?

Hmmm....
Maybe the contract with WRC was signed even before WRC 7 came out. If Kylotton and BigBen's contract only specified X amount of games and they knew 7 was their last one, makes sense why they already had registered V-Rally. They were already planning something to fill the inevitable gap that would open in the studio's production pipeline. This is, of course, speculation on my part.

KevM said:

Hmmm....
Maybe the contract with WRC was signed even before WRC 7 came out. If Kylotton and BigBen's contract only specified X amount of games and they knew 7 was their last one, makes sense why they already had registered V-Rally. They were already planning something to fill the inevitable gap that would open in the studio's production pipeline. This is, of course, speculation on my part.
Yep, if V-Rally 4 is coming out later this year Kylotonn obviously have known that they won't be doing WRC 8 for quite some time.

bogani said:
Yep, if V-Rally 4 is coming out later this year Kylotonn obviously have known that they won't be doing WRC 8 for quite some time.
The domain v-rally4.com was registered by Bigben way back on 5 September 2017. And I assume that was after a couple/few months of assuring rights to the series name and actually deciding to go forward with it.

[EDIT] Alain Jarniou, WRC game director, was a programmer on V-Rally 3 [/EDIT]

bogani said:
The domain v-rally4.com was registered by Bigben way back on 5 September 2017. And I assume that was after a couple/few months of assuring rights to the series name and actually deciding to go forward with it.
My, aren't the pieces falling together...

Will they form the final picture we want to see?

Based on team size, development on the next game usually starts a few months before the current project. WRC7 came out in September 2017, V-Rally development probably started early 2017. Starting with design work (Pretty much Paul Coleman's job) which is working on a big wish list, modes, functions, features, cars, locations, everything you'd like to have for the next game. Then as artists end their assignments for the current projects they become available for the next project. Same for the sound department. Programmers are a bit different as they tend to stick around a bit longer, so you might split them into multiple crews. Sso have some programmers stick around for the current project to do QA, fix things and develop some patches. And then some others that'll start mocking up some technical things for the next project. So as Kylotonn started designing their next project probably early 2017, they've known about the license for a long time now.

Same for DiRT4 and DiRTNext, they've probably been working on DiRTNext for about a year or so now, including the very first designing things.

Areyouben said:
Based on team size, development on the next game usually starts a few months before the current project. WRC7 came out in September 2017, V-Rally development probably started early 2017. Starting with design work (Pretty much Paul Coleman's job) which is working on a big wish list, modes, functions, features, cars, locations, everything you'd like to have for the next game. Then as artists end their assignments for the current projects they become available for the next project. Same for the sound department. Programmers are a bit different as they tend to stick around a bit longer, so you might split them into multiple crews. Sso have some programmers stick around for the current project to do QA, fix things and develop some patches. And then some others that'll start mocking up some technical things for the next project.

Same for DiRT4 and DiRTNext, they've probably been working on DiRTNext for about a year or so now, including the very first designing things.
What is this perfect world you live in?  :D

I seem to recall having a discussion about the WRC license about a year ago. Ah. yes, there it is, from february 2017:
urgaffel said:
Dytut said:
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
If one could dream, you'd have the time to release a base WRC game with just a few stages per event, and your stage for one or two events. Then release a pack each year with a few new real stages and your stage updates for one or two events. Add tweaks to the cars and additional cars changed for that year.
I'd throw my money at a game like that each year in an instance. Partner up with yearly subscriptions to WRC+ and stuff like that. Would beat the living **** out of any yearly halfassed game.
That's a really good idea with the WRC+. As for the game itself it would basically become a subscription service rather than a game and that is a whole new can of worms. If you could defeat that can of worms and get a good sized subscription base then yes, it would be doable. The (one of many) hard part(s) would be to make sure enough people sign up to make future development a profit...

I'm going to suggest that using the WRC license is not the same as having the official WRC game.

How he let that license deal work would determine that,per @urgaffel post.
I think if you have the WRC license it comes with the provision to make the official game :) I don't know what the deal is of course, I have no insight into that kind of discussion but still, it seems unlikely that you'd get the WRC license and not be required to make the official game as well.
So it would not seem from those comments that they had the license, or were actively involved with it at that time. But it does look like they're at least interested in it. 

KickUp said:
What is this perfect world you live in?  :D
Well, since you won't tell us anything, we have to play a little bit of Game Dev Tycoon here on the Gossip thread to try figure things out :D
Dytut said:
So it would not seem from those comments that they had the license, or were actively involved with it at that time. But it does look like they're at least interested in it. 
We can hope.

Please codies for WRC 2018, make the roads not to be in perfect condition, it is rallying, some ruts and cuts (compressions)  are immersive, big rocks in mountain rallyes, just details that makes a big difference

So then, Would people actually prefer WRC 8 or DiRT Rally 2?

KevM said:
WRC 8. Surely the WRC licence would mean they can include cars from previous eras as well? I'd be happy if all the locations were added to Dirt 4, physics/setups improved and a WRC class bolted on fully licensed to be honest. Or is that already too much to ask?  :D

KevM said:
My initial thoughts on Codies having the WRC license has always been that there are too much restrictions, putting out a yearly game etc, but I'm also a bit excited if they would have a shot at it.

My fear about it though, is that having all 14-16(?) rounds would mean going back to 3-4 short stages per country. And if they want to get Your Stage working with it? 3-4 tiles per country? Wouldn't really work.

I'd rather see something like the ERC if they go down the license road. Focus on 6-7 locations and make them properly. ERC has a few spectacular ones as well.

I know its a big task, but It would be great to see a WRC 8 game include a selection of Historic rally locations as well as cars.  Safari rally with proper tires on roof and other mods that where done for that rally would be cool, even more cool if actually functional.  Maybe as an add on (DLC) even, it would be worth the $$.  There are several others too, but I've never seen Safari properly done.  Oh yeah, add a Porsche 959 to the list.

some great gossip i dont care what you call it ! just make it a great rally game ! :)

We need Dirt Rally 2 with "drivable" classics and not on rail WRC stuff only.License this license that ,i want a great sequel with real feel stages .
And same great sounds .WRC7 was and is garbage, undrivable mess.

well if codies got the license then it will be wrc stuff. which is fine if done well. if we get dirt rally 2.0 next and its dirt rally good then thats fine too.

wrc 7 is not garbage  ! any saying that either hasnt put in any effort to play it properly or got it set up right. its a great game. its not as good as dirt rally but its a great game.thats coming from a codie fan. you can like other games. wrc 7 has some very good even better than dirt rally certain game aspects just the final product isnt as good over all.

if we codies do wrc whatever its called next or dirt rally 2.0 they both great options ! id be happy with either.the only thing id not like is to use the dirt 4 my stage system. id personally want REAL STAGES. realistically done. leave my stage until the future when it can be done with no repetition which isnt now or soon.

WRC7 was much better than earlier games but still wasn't more than OK in my opinion. It had it's traits but still too many flaws to really make me enjoy it fully.

Some of the stage design was excellent though, a part from Sweden and Finland.

If we did get a wrc game from codemasters, I’m torn between whether I’d want replicas of real stages or an improved your stage system. I think the best thing about your stage is you could actually have a proper rally of up to 22 stages like real wrc, rather than just running 1 or 2 stages per event cut up and reversed

WRC 7 rubbished the 3 or 4 short stages per location theory.  Some of the longer ‘Epic’ stages for each location were fantastic.   They also had real-life areas stitched into the stages that you could clearly recognise from actual tv footage.

Someone mentioned older drivable cars instead of the ‘on rails’ WRC cars.  Have you watched a WRC round?  The car movement is phenomenal with 4 wheel mental powerslides everywhere.  I’d like that...

It’d be nice if we could get DR2 instead of a WRC game - with some interesting non-WRC locations and maybe more of the group A curios, F2 kit cars and 97-on WRCs - but will a licensed WRC game act as a cash generator for codemasters? Otherwise they’d be making DR type games all the time to satisfy a probably small market