DiRTy Gossip

If you look at release chain it would make sense for a new GRID or Touring Car game. We have the latest DiRT game and we get the F1 game every year. That leads me to believe that it is GRIDs turn to get a release. I would love a Touring focused game, currently the market does not have any on the Next-Gen consoles.

yes reviving TOCA title would give them options.same as doing a new grid.i had most of the TOCA games but never really enjoyed them.grid was okay but i prefer rally if im honest. Codemasters is a big company. so they will most likely be doing multiple titles.

If you look at release chain it would make sense for a new GRID or Touring Car game. We have the latest DiRT game and we get the F1 game every year. That leads me to believe that it is GRIDs turn to get a release. I would love a Touring focused game, currently the market does not have any on the Next-Gen consoles.
In fact we got 2 Dirt games in a row , now its time for new Grid game..  I like both Grid and Toca series just if it is Toca i dont want this to be an exclusive Touring focused game .. I want it to be more like Toca 3 which was included many different classes and cars and many tracks as well.. ;)

In fact we got 2 Dirt games in a row , now its time for new Grid game..  I like both Grid and Toca series just if it is Toca i dont want this to be an exclusive Touring focused game .. I want it to be more like Toca 3 which was included many different classes and cars and many tracks as well.. ;)

So basically a new GRID :P

versedi said:

So basically a new GRID :P
We don't know if they're doing Grid, TOCA, WTCC, BTCC, Australian Supercars, DiRT, RX or what. But if you all think that it's a new Grid, let's keep the WRC license gossip going. Will there be a game this year and, if so, by whom? 

We don't know if they're doing Grid, TOCA, WTCC, BTCC, Australian Supercars, DiRT, RX or what. But if you all think that it's a new Grid, let's keep the WRC license gossip going. Will there be a game this year and, if so, by whom? 
I would be surprised if there was no WRC game this year. Last year prove WRC season to be really enjoyable and it is getting more attention from media and fans. If WRC past games made sense from economical POV (during the time WRC went almost extinct and was losing whatever was left of it's popularity), it makes even more sense now when cars look fantastic and there is so much fight between drivers every rally.

Who will be making new game? It is purely speculative at this moment. I doubt Codies will be one behind next WRC game (Dirt4 seems to have disappointed both sales department and customers, but I hope I am wrong at least with the first part). 

What if they’ve been working on WRC all along though, & DiRT 4 was put out just to fill a gap?

KevM said:
What if they’ve been working on WRC all along though, & DiRT 4 was put out just to fill a gap?
You mean they aquired WRC license but decided not to take advantage of that and released it under Dirt franchise? No, I don't think so. 

Could be that they were working on DiRT 4 and got the WRC license (or started negotiations) mid development of DiRT 4. That could explain the rushed feeling loads of people got. Your Stage not feeling complete, rally handling not feeling complete (literally not enough time with real divers to consult is what they said), various features not feeling complete, some features not implemented (leagues & VR to name a few) and I think the game was still running on the older EGO tech compared to F1.

If I'm honest, I never understood why DiRT 4 released so soon after DiRT Rally. Why didn't they go all out with the project, implemented more of what people have been asking for since DiRT 3 (2011) and aim for a 2017 Q4 or 2018 Q1 release? If you look at it like that it could all add up, rushing DiRT 4 in order to start a 2018/19 WRC project. It would explain Kylotonn doing V-Rally 4, it would explain DiRT 4 not being complete and it would definitely explain the silence we've had post launch.

SamRWD said:
KevM said:
You mean they aquired WRC license but decided not to take advantage of that and released it under Dirt franchise? No, I don't think so. 
He didn't mean that.

SamRWD said:
KevM said:
He didn't mean that.
Right. I guess he was referring to maybe DiRT 4 during its development the WRC licence was up for grabs. No one was making any WRC content. Just more rally content with the possibility of seeing it in a hypothetical future WRC.

Even DiRT Rally was probably also a WRC tryout. If none of this stuff ever ends up in a WRC title it doesn't matter because Codemasters can still make other rally games.

@Areyouben has an interesting theory regarding D4 being rushed and unfinished: "Could be that they were working on DiRT 4 and got the WRC license (or started negotiations) mid development of DiRT 4."

The leagues in D4 are truly fantastic (when they work). It has great functionality. The online lobbies are also fantastic (again, when they work). Surely the fact that they put in all that effort to stick leagues into a failed game (IMO) six months after launch shows that there is more to come on the rally game front.

Yeah indeed. Someone posted a few days ago that the DiRT World Championships could be Codies way of showing they are involved in eSports, and a way to prepare for a future project and look into ways of doing such a thing. Looking at how WRC series has it's own eSports championship each year as well, that's an interesting thought.

esports and car games is basically you gotta be in it.especially for the future.car games and esports will be the next biggest thing apart from the fps side. if you noticed this year alone most of the big companies that do car games have put something out towards esports.

im sure this will be more catered for as we progress.

If the WRC Promoter thinks straight, I don't see any better option than Codemasters. I think, from Daniel Elena's post, we can be, fairly certain, that there is a WRC game in development and that him and Sebastien Loeb, by extension, will be in it. As far as I know, Loeb only has a contract for 3 rallies, this season, with Citroën. This means, the WRC game being made is, likely, going to be of the 2018 season and, therefore, it makes sense for it to realease this year.

October, at the latest, has to be the release date. In fact, all WRC games, made by both Milestone and Kylotton (except 7), were released in October. With that deadline in mind, who, of those we know, would be in a better position to make something good?

Milestone just finished Gravel, at the beginning of this year. If they got the license they'd have less than a year to get something out. This spells: "underwhelming product".

Someone pointed at SMS. SMS finished PCARS 2 in September of last year. However, they continue to provide extensive support for it with DLC and substancial patches, and will continue to provide such support for 1 year after the initial release. Without another, in-house, team working on a WRC title, it's not them.

And then we have Codies. DiRT 4 went gold, right at the end of May 2017. Assuming they began work on WRC shortly afterwards, then we have a dev time of 1 year and 4 months to work with. This is tight, but not impossible. Add to this: the rushed feeling of DiRT 4, the immense radio silence, the very basic patch support, the recent push of e-sports, with DiRT, and we have compelling signs of a busy team working, full throttle, trying things, to deliver something, sooner than we think.

Working with Codemasters might also be a good idea because of DiRT. Just like Kunos Simulazione is making use of it's widely recognized brand, Assetto Corsa, to increase the mass appeal of the Blancpain GT partnership, the WRC Promoter could make use of the already established and world-renowned brand, DiRT, to take the WRC to more people, in territories where the sport is less popular. Someone in the US, for example, might not pick up a game that just says WRC on the box, but if they spot DiRT: Official WRC Game, their curiosity will peak due to brand recognition.

Mmm, and what if Codemasters use eSports final round to announce the new WRC game, the finals are the 26th of May, 3 month before the expected release...

https://twitter.com/wrcthegame/status/975679513551167488

I just hate to stop the conspiracy theories but this to me looks like a hint Kylotonn are still working on WRC 8.

SamRWD said:
KevM said:
No.  

Regardless of how early they aquire the license, they can’t release a game until the finish of the old contract.  For all we know, the license was granted 2 years ago, but the release date of the first Codemasters WRC game would have always been the year after the release of WRC 7 & the closing of the Kylotton license.

Hence, DiRT 4 as a little hobby side-project

carpa said:
https://twitter.com/wrcthegame/status/975679513551167488

I just hate to stop the conspiracy theories but this to me looks like a hint Kylotonn are still working on WRC 8.
Kylotton, still making it? No way. They're quite the game making machine but not that good, even if they are working 24/7, with shifts and a constant supply of Monster Energy and Red Bull. Also, it's only natural they'd use a screenshot from their current game, regardless of its dev, when they haven't announced the new one yet.

carpa said:
I'm pretty sure the 'wrcthegame' twitter account is universal for whomever develops the game, i.e if it was another developer they'd still have that twitter handle. Cling to hope I say, clinggg  :#

carpa said:
I'm pretty sure the 'wrcthegame' twitter account is universal for whomever develops the game, i.e if it was another developer they'd still have that twitter handle. Cling to hope I say, clinggg  :#
Yes, when Milestone had the license, they used that twitter account 
https://twitter.com/wrcthegame/status/385432390102827009

carpa said:
The WRC game twitter is independent of the dev, as far as I know, so...

WRC4 was published by BigBen though, anything from WRC3 or earlier would have been published by Black Bean Games, so if there's any old posts about that it'd be more interesting.

I guess BigBen (if they run the WRC game Twitter) could sub-contract Codemasters, but it's more of a stretch.