DiRTy Gossip

I think they are making a new GRID/ToCA only it will mostly be off road with point to point, time based racing.  There may be some circuit track racing and will probably be mixed surface.  

Just my ultimate 2 cents on GRID.

If Codemasters really wanted to bring back that franchise and really do so with a bang, it was simple: they should have given it to the Evolution Studios guys. Evolution Studios shut down after developing and, brilliantly supporting, Driveclub. To me, it's still a great game and one of the best simcade road/track titles out there, hands down. Paul Rustchynsky, head of Evo, said that, even though the original studio was shutting down, almost everyone from the dev team was staying together. This meant that, even if they lost the work they made for Driveclub, they had all the know-how, still onboard, to rebuild it again.

With that in mind, could you imagine a GRID with Driveclub's detailed car models, great track design, excellent handling on the sweet spot between sim and arcade, amazing lighting (full day-night cycle) and weather effects? It would blow all GRIDs, that came before it, out of the water.

Instead, the guys that came from Evo are working on ONRUSH. Something along the lines of Motorstorm, rather than Driveclub's more serious racing. That's their plan for the arcade market. I don't see GRID coming back soon.

Areyouben said:
That's exactly what the TOCA/DTM Race Driver titles did. Good mix of pretty much everything.
TOCA 3 was the best! :smiley:

Jack4688 said:
Combine rallying, rallycross and circuit racing and call it GRIDiRT
this would be a business suicide. Dirt is more popular than grid also why would use fuse all titles ? you make a clear product of its best for each title. that way your audience isnt confused.

watch now next titles will be exactly what you just said..... :D

Roll in F1 and call it:
Formula 1 Grid Dirt
...sounds like a driver complaining about starting on the dirty side of the track!

If Codemasters really wanted to bring back that franchise and really do so with a bang, it was simple: they should have given it to the Evolution Studios guys. Evolution Studios shut down after developing and, brilliantly supporting, Driveclub. To me, it's still a great game and one of the best simcade road/track titles out there, hands down. Paul Rustchynsky, head of Evo, said that, even though the original studio was shutting down, almost everyone from the dev team was staying together. This meant that, even if they lost the work they made for Driveclub, they had all the know-how, still onboard, to rebuild it again.

With that in mind, could you imagine a GRID with Driveclub's detailed car models, great track design, excellent handling on the sweet spot between sim and arcade, amazing lighting (full day-night cycle) and weather effects? It would blow all GRIDs, that came before it, out of the water.

Instead, the guys that came from Evo are working on ONRUSH. Something along the lines of Motorstorm, rather than Driveclub's more serious racing. That's their plan for the arcade market. I don't see GRID coming back soon.
Yeah i agree , i would like Evolution studios to make a new Grid game with point to point tracks all over the world than circuits.. I am PC users so i had not the chance to buy the brilliant Drive Club , i just have tested it at a friend of mine on PS4..I was excited after CM hired Evolution , i thought they will create a game like Drive club but instead we got a bad copy of Motorstorm called On Rush..So i dont think Evolution studios will make any close a new Drive Club stryle game..

i dont get why the Evo guys dont make a game like Drive club . most liked it was a great game. codies have there titles. surely it would make sense to do that.

dgeesi0 said:
i dont get why the Evo guys dont make a game like Drive club . most liked it was a great game. codies have there titles. surely it would make sense to do that.
It's possible that the previous owner of Evolution Studios (which I think was Sony) have placed a refusal (if this isn't the right term forgive me :#) so that the developers hired at Codemasters can't do a game similar to DriveClub before a number of years. Something similar to how BBC prohibited The Grand Tour to have some characteristics from Top Gear. That's just wild speculation though

Roll in F1 and call it:
Formula 1 Grid Dirt
...sounds like a driver complaining about starting on the dirty side of the track!
GRF1DiRT. Sounds as good as Alonso shouting GP2 ENGINE at your home GP when you're a Honda engineer

yes it seems logical that somekind of clause is maybe the reason for it . even so it should happen at some point.

I quite liked Grid AS but it didn't sell well according to the charting sites. Grid 2 I remember reading somewhere was supposedly Codies most expensive ever game. I don't think that did too well either. I get the impression that the Grid team disappeared en mass after Grid AS. I would like to see Grid AS in backwards compatibility for Xbox. I reckon that;s the most anyone can expect from Grid.

Re a new Grid game, what is that going to offer that existing games don't ? It overlaps considerably with Forza, GTSport and some other games. You could make the handling accessible and the game easy to play. But I think you would need a rock solid online, something that Codies seem to have stuggled with in F1. VR might up the sales, but the current hardware is not powerful enough and is there the userbase there yet ?

I don't see any clear market for Grid 3.With onrush I see what they are trying to do there. A lot of people seem to like Motorstorm and want another and there seems to be a gap in the market to go for. I hope it works out, even if it's not something I am into.

I wonder if the evolution studios team were already working on Onrush prior to being taken on by Codemasters?
Definitely agree that a new Grid/Toca game made by them would be absolutely amazing though, who knows what CM have in store after they’ve finished working on Onrush :)
I do hope that CM are utilising their skills to help the development of new F1 and Dirt games too but definitely think resurrecting the Dirt/Toca franchise would be perfect for them 

Codemasters don’t have the WRC licence. Fact. 
Can't believe I missed this post. So that's why you were laughing at CodingRacer.

If Codemasters really doesn't have anything to do with the WRC, give the proof of your statement and end the senseless speculation. It'll hurt whatever they're working on now if you let the hype, needlessly build up too much. I'm sure you won't be violating any NDA by saying they're not affiliated with the WRC if they truly have nothing to do with the WRC. In fact, we'll just be back to square one, or should I say: square zero, to be more precise.

dwkGravey said:
carpa said:
Roll in F1 and call it:
Formula 1 Grid Dirt
GRF1DiRT.
GR1T
G'D1RT: Australian GP Edition

In other news, DiRT4 is still one of Solbergs sponsors. Good to see their partnership is still there. 

Onrush doesn't have much to do with Motorstorm. It's not even a racing game.

Speaking of GRID and DiRT, GRID is pretty done to me. GRID Autosport was the last good title of the franchise and of course you may want to ignore the cockpit texturing which went wrong.. There is no need to carry on with such franchise when the market is competitive and compelling the developers to compete against the racing giants such as AC, PC2, Forza and GT.. It is pretty much up to CMs to decide whether it is ideal to start planning for a whole new tarmac racing franchise with a respectable budget.

DiRT, for the moment, is the top competitor on the rally games chart. Because of this, I don't see that CMs are planning for a new GRID or any tarmac racing title whatsoever.

Ya, I can see that. Its just that no one is doing Touring Car Racing in their games. Some of them have Touring cars in the game but not a whole field of BTCC, WTCR or DTM.

Ya, I can see that. Its just that no one is doing Touring Car Racing in their games. Some of them have Touring cars in the game but not a whole field of BTCC, WTCR or DTM.
RaceRoom does touring cars. It has multiple seasons of DTM and WTCC (and some classic DTM and Group A), and will have WTCR soon. 

So there's still the BTCC, although from many past discussions, it sounds licensing it is difficult, convoluted or expensive.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is focussing on the GT Blancpain series, so that's a single-series game. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells.

In other news, DiRT4 is still one of Solbergs sponsors. Good to see their partnership is still there. 

Less than a week until the 2018 Championship gets underway, I can't wait!

Darhour said:
Speaking of GRID and DiRT, GRID is pretty done to me. GRID Autosport was the last good title of the franchise and of course you may want to ignore the cockpit texturing which went wrong.. There is no need to carry on with such franchise when the market is competitive and compelling the developers to compete against the racing giants such as AC, PC2, Forza and GT.. It is pretty much up to CMs to decide whether it is ideal to start planning for a whole new tarmac racing franchise with a respectable budget.

DiRT, for the moment, is the top competitor on the rally games chart. Because of this, I don't see that CMs are planning for a new GRID or any tarmac racing title whatsoever.
Reasons why i am confident that CM will release any tarmac game: (Grid or Toca)
Grid is not same as AC, PC2, Forza and GT , its way more arcade..

Codemasters are always doing the unexpected and unthinkable like:
1) They release the Grid Autosport just after a year of Grid 2 release which supposed to be an improved version of the great Grid 1 that definitely was a joke..

2) They suddenly released Dirt Rally on steam without any announcement , the game was the most sim game of company's history the time that they have moved to the arcade side (f1 racing stars , micromachines , Dirt 3 , Grid 2 , Dirt showdown etc)

3) Everyone was happy when heard that CM got F1 rights on 2010 went to buy the game and his smile faded from the lips when he realized how much arcade the physics and handling is..

4) Dirt showdown dedicated to demolition derby events for Grid's 1 derby lovers (i am one of them) was one of the worst game of company..

5) While Dirt rally has the potential to be the best rally ever (and for me still is) with the community to be more than happy with it they decided to easy kill it not releasing any DLC and new content but to release almost after a year the pretty mediocre Dirt 4 .. They were speaking about improved handling model and physics compare to Dirt rally and the next gen level stage's design called "generated stages" which definitely was a joke too... Now  the Dirt 4 which suppose to be the flagship of the company satisfying both arcade and sim style racers almost after a year looks just abandoned (no DLC , plans etc)

6) They got incorporated Evolution studios that their latest game was the great Drive Club on PS4 and instead of order them to make a game like that (which was close to CM spirit (pure racing game , sport cars etc) ,  they ordered to make a game like ON Rush (that it is not even a racing game but more a battle game according the videos i have watched on tube) which is not even close to Motorstorm of PS3 .....

Conclusions....?

For all these reasons yeah i am sure my friends , codies are making a tarmac game and i am happy for that! ;) :D :p :#

I would rather go on with a thorough conclusion that DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 are as good as they are immaculate with no further DLCs so this microtransactions policy wouldnt demonise the company's credibility and genuine ambitions.. 

Expectations for GRID are very low at the moment so no serious planning has ever been considered since the release of DLCs for post-Autosport.