Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

Here is my terrible pic. Watching on my daughter's tablet and I barely got the shot off with my phone. It's DiRT Rally Finland.

In Portugal, DiRT Rally is very popular in the sim-racing crowd. Is this "simulator area" official or is it just something set-up by a local company as general entertainment? I wouldn't look that deep into this.
This is the DiRTy Gossip Thread, looking too deeply into things is our reason to be!

Jepsertti said:
Here is my terrible pic. Watching on my daughter's tablet and I barely got the shot off with my phone. It's DiRT Rally Finland.

In Portugal, DiRT Rally is very popular in the sim-racing crowd. Is this "simulator area" official or is it just something set-up by a local company as general entertainment? I wouldn't look that deep into this.
Well, even if it isn't an official "simulator area" I find it very interesting that they're showing footage of a competing rally title in a WRC livestream while they have their official WRC game (with eSports series still running).
I wouldn’t be surprised though in that situation that someone in charge of the content shown on the live stream doesn’t know what game it is, thinking it’s ‘the rally game’. Understandable on one hand, but on the other you sometimes expect that sporting events etc. have some kind of nutcase whose job it is to make sure there’s no conflicting brands floating about, leading to a situation where someone takes a drink out of a four-year-old’s hand because it has the wrong logo on it - where’s that nutcase shutting down the rally simulator operation?

I have to say, if that simulator has WRC branding around it and the game in there is DiRT Rally, something doesn't make sense. You have your official game with the new spec cars (that look almost the same as this year). Why aren't you using that?

It is odd. @warpengage has a point in that nothing is stopping a company from showing off, say, their cockpits, and it's just a coincidence that they are not using WRC 7. But it's right in the service park. And the announcer was saying something like "let's look at the simulators, these are realistic and will let you experience the WRC like a real rally driver" or something like that. It's pretty clear she didn't know jack about sim racing. But she was an official announcer, was on the official feed, with a WRC T-shirt, a WRC microphone...

And I have yet to see WRC 7 pop up in Portugal. In all previous rallies I have watched with All Live and WRC+, EVERY TIME they show the simulators it was WRC 6 and then 7. I never saw another game displayed in the simulators until today.

One of our DiRT Rally league members is in the service park right now and I am trying to get him to snoop around and see if there are WRC 7 simulators anywhere. Fingers crossed.

There was a team in the service park in Spain the other year running a modded version of RBR on a rig - I wouldn't read anything into that.

My mole in the service park just confirmed that the WRC 7 rigs are in the Toyota area.

My mole in the service park just confirmed that the WRC 7 rigs are in the Toyota area.
Well, it looks like the simulators were, indeed, just plain regular simulators. Games being played are a coincidence. We must keep on waiting.

Well, it looks like the simulators were, indeed, just plain regular simulators. Games being played are a coincidence. We must keep on waiting.
Correct. Now we must wait until Fafe, where the big sign at the jump at the end of the stage will say "DiRT: WRC - Fall 2018".

Correct. Now we must wait until Fafe, where the big sign at the jump at the end of the stage will say "DiRT: WRC - Fall 2018".
You know something? After seeing the C3 WRC in The Crew, maybe Codies can license 2017 WRCs for their game without the WRC sponsors and only team sponsors. Ford now support M-Sport directly again, which could make licensing the new Fiesta easier. Citroen no longer have the annoying DS license for their new car and Hyundai has been making steady appearances in DiRT games. Maybe a DiRT Rally 2 could be a game with recent WRCs and I'd actually prefer that. Just no Toyota... because Toyota hates Codemasters, apparently.

Honestly, at this point I don't even give a hoot about the WRC license. Just any rally game from SOMEONE combining the best elements of DiRT Rally, DiRT 4, Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO and WRC 7 with a decent post-release support policy, even if that means paid DLC, would put me in heaven. This is what I want cherry-picked and placed in one rally game:

DR: Hand-crafted stages, graphics, 60fps on console, sounds
D4: R5/R2 physics, Your Stage 2.0 (many more tiles than what were included in the game), multiplayer functionality, club functionality
SLRE: Physics, licensing, quality and quantity of stages
WRC 7: Official ambiance, challenging albeit fictitious stages, 20-ish kilometer stages

Asking too much? Definitely. But one can hope.

You know something? After seeing the C3 WRC in The Crew, maybe Codies can license 2017 WRCs for their game without the WRC sponsors and only team sponsors.

If it's anything like F1 or DTM, games can licence a single car from a manufacture without issue. Hence Assetto Corsa has just Ferrari's F1 and Project Cars had just a Mercedes DTM.

And DiRT Rally only had one WRC car.

No idea if it's the same, but those were implications from the devs of those games.

You know something? After seeing the C3 WRC in The Crew, maybe Codies can license 2017 WRCs for their game without the WRC sponsors and only team sponsors.

If it's anything like F1 or DTM, games can licence a single car from a manufacture without issue. Hence Assetto Corsa has just Ferrari's F1 and Project Cars had just a Mercedes DTM.

No idea if it's the same, but those were implications from the devs of those games.
You're forgetting the i20 and the Fiesta. They were close to final-spec, like the Polo. There's also the Focus WRC and the C4 WRC which are also considered still 'recent'. You can't license a series but, ultimately, the rights to the cars belong to the manufacturers, not the WRC Promoter.

At this point, I hope the codies attempt to get as many R5's as possilbe for a theoretical new game. I find it to be a much more diverse and interseting class than the WRC in my opinion. WRC seems to be really restrictive.

What if they got the WRC license but did exactly what they did with the F1 games, and added older WRCars as well as modern ones, R2 and R5?

You're forgetting the i20 and the Fiesta. They were close to final-spec, like the Polo. There's also the Focus WRC and the C4 WRC which are also considered still 'recent'. You can't license a series but, ultimately, the rights to the cars belong to the manufacturers, not the WRC Promoter.

I remember plenty of posts saying "why is the Fiesta the test car, not the original version" and I remember a Hyundai Rally Car (also test shape) with no reference to an i20.

Plenty of ways around it, but DR had all sorts of licence workarounds going on. 

I agree with basing a non-WRC game on R5s, as they were a highlight of D4, but without Skoda it's hard to argue something isn't missing.

I remember plenty of posts saying "why is the Fiesta the test car, not the original version" and I remember a Hyundai Rally Car (also test shape) with no reference to an i20.

Plenty of ways around it, but DR had all sorts of licence workarounds going on. 

I agree with basing a non-WRC game on R5s, as they were a highlight of D4, but without Skoda it's hard to argue something isn't missing.
One of the things that always annoys me about Codemasters rally games is their licensing struggles. I think they may need to hire better people to handle licensing. It was hard on DiRT Rally, I think slightly harder on DiRT 4. That's why part of me just wants them to go as hard as they can, grab the WRC license, so they won't have to deal with all this trouble.

Well, other than the game brand, they also seem to be using Fanatech wheels and pedals and a platform I genuinely don't know, instead of Thrustmaster and Playseat who officially support the eSport series... so I doubt this is an official stand created by WRC personal. This was probably organised by a private sim racing company

At this point, I hope the codies attempt to get as many R5's as possilbe for a theoretical new game. I find it to be a much more diverse and interseting class than the WRC in my opinion. WRC seems to be really restrictive.
I'm not sure if I would say that R5's are more interesting than the latest WRC class, but they are definitely on par for me. 

For a lot of years I barely registered what was happening in WRC2, but I pay as much attention to that as I do the "main" WRC class now. I'm sure not every rally fan will agree, but I think the R5 cars look great in action and it's brilliant that they have become the standard choice for so many National Championships (thus meaning that a lot of National drivers possess cars that are eligible for WRC). 

Given how bonkers the 2017-2018 cars are, I would be very keen to see them make them into a CM rally game. 

I find them quite boring, R5s don’t seem to have much excitement about them compared to various classes of 4WD rally cars from the past 20-25 years - although that does include various forms of astronomically expensive top-level cars such as Group A and early years of World Rally Car. They don’t seem to cut it with me, especially considering how expensive they are, if the weakness of the top class of the British Rally Championship is anything to go by.

I would definitely be disappointed by a game where a 1.6 (yes the WRCs also have that size engine, but they do have more than 120bhp more than an R5) shopping cars are supposed to be the pinnacle. They could always go down the Gran Turismo route and use real base models to make fantasy rally cars.

Or I’ll just drive the Audi Sport quattro and all the Group A, F2 & 1997-mid2000s WRC stuff...

From https://twitter.com/wrcthegame: "Time to have a look at what is happening at the real-life rally! #RallydePortugal Prognostic anyone?"

According to Google "prognostic" = "an advance indication of a future event; an omen"

Were they just seeking people's thoughts on what might happen in the event? Or some other news coming soon?

From https://twitter.com/wrcthegame: "Time to have a look at what is happening at the real-life rally! #RallydePortugal Prognostic anyone?"

According to Google "prognostic" = "an advance indication of a future event; an omen"

Were they just seeking people's thoughts on what might happen in the event? Or some other news coming soon?
Considering the date of the tweet, the former.

I, personally, think Thierry Neuville. Not sure...

Question for everyone ....

Should Codemasters do an extensive  ‘handling’ beta for the next DiRT/WRC?/Rally game?
Basically where they do a whole beta for the future game focused purely on the handling of all the cars getting extensive feedback from fans of the series.

Question for everyone ....

Should Codemasters do an extensive  ‘handling’ beta for the next DiRT/WRC?/Rally game?
Basically where they do a whole beta for the future game focused purely on the handling of all the cars getting extensive feedback from fans of the series.

They should do Early Access again. I'd join.

Not sure if it's a possibility to be honest. I remember Paul saying they will not go down the EA road again after DR at some point.