Motorsport Games, Codemasters and FIA World Rallycross Championship presented by Monster Energy partner to create the World RX Esports Invitational Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

I would like a rally school, but rather than it being just something you do once, you could build a whole area which includes a test stage that loops around the main area as well, this way people get to learn on a stage before heading out to one in competition, but also would mean people could use it as a test stage for setup work, and could be available to be used as a competitive stage in leagues/online. 
If the rally school was a separate environment that replicates what a real rally school would have it would still have a use extending the initial introduction feature.

gfRally said:

@justbiglee 

Well your killing me on this one, because I have been lobbying for both.  Selfishly I am going to say the camera modes.  But I need to improve my driving to and I would always have thought it would be good to get some proper training and would help a lot of others too.

However for longevity I think would get a lot more from the cameras.  

BUT here is my question, to you Lee, is it a huge task to allow saving replays and a user controllable camera, that it would take away from some other project?  This is a really bad question and probably a bit ignorant of my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.  

I don't want to be 'that guy' that says ohhh you just flip a couple switches and type a few lines of code and its done, maybe 10mins work, sorry.  Its my opinion, I'm just a drop in the ocean, so whatever comes of it, I won't complain, lol.
I was maybe being a little flippant earlier so sorry if I came across as short, It probably would be pretty big job for us, the thing is with the way we work is that everything has a "time cost" associated with it - It's not a case of money, the currency is hours. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

As it stands at the moment we've spent a load of hours getting to this point, we've got x amount of hours planned for the update packs, x amount for bug fixing and x amount for working on features and improvements that you guys want. Some of that has already been spent on the FFB update and we're in the process of working out how to spend the rest based on what's most important to you guys, its tricky to nail down what that is at the moment though as it seems to shift regularly - which is awesome don't get me wrong. 

That help explain how we do it a little better?

Just found this video about a WIP game including terrain deformation. Looks interesting. I remember from when I used to drive a 80cc quad at home that the track got all bumpy at the corners because of braking and such. Would be especially nice for rallycross, but I can imagine that this is too much of a feature to be implemented if they're not working on such thing already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYiKkmXDK6k

Here's a question for you then and it's part of the problem that we face internally.

If you could have a camera mode thing like a few of suggested or say a rally school are that we could use for lots of things which one would you want?  
I'd prefer improved replay cameras (make them look more like live TV) and the ability to pause the replay, go into a free-camera mode that would allow us to take some nice screenshots (i.e. a basic photomode, no need for fancy filters, just the possibility to move around (if outside the car) or look around (if in the interior)).

...the thing is with the way we work is that everything has a "time cost" associated with it - It's not a case of money, the currency is hours. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

As it stands at the moment we've spent a load of hours getting to this point, we've got x amount of hours planned for the update packs, x amount for bug fixing and x amount for working on features and improvements that you guys want. Some of that has already been spent on the FFB update and we're in the process of working out how to spend the rest based on what's most important to you guys, its tricky to nail down what that is at the moment though as it seems to shift regularly - which is awesome don't get me wrong. 

I've been trying to suggest, hopefully, easy things. For example, my suggestion to unlock everything in Custom Event was doable in DiRT 3 by simply changing values on the database files. I don't know how easy that would be on DiRT Rally so I'm leaving it for you to ultimately decide. The weather idea I have is more likely to be more complex, so it's something you could consider if you have the time to implement.

Start supporting community mods, so we can help with fixing some stuff to our taste.

Just found this video about a WIP game including terrain deformation. Looks interesting. I remember from when I used to drive a 80cc quad at home that the track got all bumpy at the corners because of braking and such. Would be especially nice for rallycross, but I can imagine that this is too much of a feature to be implemented if they're not working on such thing already.

Sega Rally (Revo) had terrain deformation, and the guys who worked on that... Some are on Dirt Rally! I have noticed a small subtle amount of terrain deformation if you brake hard and slide into hairpins in Greece... You appear to leave 3D grooves in the ground.

the way we work is that everything has a "time cost" associated with it - It's not a case of money, the currency is hours. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

Does this mean you have a hard set deadline for the full release?

gfRally said:

@justbiglee 

Well your killing me on this one, because I have been lobbying for both.  Selfishly I am going to say the camera modes.  But I need to improve my driving to and I would always have thought it would be good to get some proper training and would help a lot of others too.

BUT here is my question, to you Lee, is it a huge task to allow saving replays and a user controllable camera, that it would take away from some other project?  This is a really bad question and probably a bit ignorant of my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.  

I don't want to be 'that guy' that says ohhh you just flip a couple switches and type a few lines of code and its done, maybe 10mins work, sorry.  Its my opinion, I'm just a drop in the ocean, so whatever comes of it, I won't complain, lol.
I was maybe being a little flippant earlier so sorry if I came across as short, It probably would be pretty big job for us, the thing is with the way we work is that everything has a "time cost" associated with it - It's not a case of money, the currency is hours. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

No Lee, didn't take you coming across that way at all :smile:   I figured as much for the time you guys have.  I should probably just try to keep my opinions quiet if I can.  Everyone wants something changed/added/fixed I guess replay cameras enhancements are my big wish.  

You have made a game that is incredible (no joke or kiss up) very happy with how its turned out and i am quite satisfied with the physics and the FFB.

I have only dared to take my car out in the snow and play around, did about 60 down a snow covered back road slid around a turn sideways pretty proper, but about soiled my shorts doing so (slowed to about 35 at that point), happy i didn't wreck! my car drifted and feedback from the wheel seems about right to me, but that was only 1 time + numerous hooning in parking lots, so I'm no expert.

So I'm going to take a shot of whisky and bite on some leather so you doctors can operate..  I'll live with whatever you give us, its all been good.

wow!

Sega Rally (Revo) had terrain deformation, and the guys who worked on that... Some are on Dirt Rally! I have noticed a small subtle amount of terrain deformation if you brake hard and slide into hairpins in Greece... You appear to leave 3D grooves in the ground.
Yea I think that's been introduced in DiRT 2 with DirectX 11, but for as far I know that's only cosmetic (if you're talking about that as well, haven't noticed it in DiRT Rally yet because I haven't watched too much replays to be honest). 

gfRally said:

@justbiglee 

. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

Yeah that was an interesting hour or 2 and a real eye opener. I certainly had some very hard decisions to make that day!

the way we work is that everything has a "time cost" associated with it - It's not a case of money, the currency is hours. So we have to decide how best to spend those hours, @Rallycameraman  got a first hand experience of how we had to balance everything that went into the game when he visited one time - ask him nicely and he'll tell you about it I'm sure.

Does this mean you have a hard set deadline for the full release?
Weirdly no, we still haven't decided when this all ends (again powered by you guys). We've got a load of stuff to take us to a point but we don't know if that will be the full release yet.

gfRally said:
 I should probably just try to keep my opinions quiet if I can.  Everyone wants something changed/added/fixed I guess replay cameras enhancements are my big wish.  

No please don't mate, we need peoples opinions :)

gfRally said:
 I should probably just try to keep my opinions quiet if I can.  Everyone wants something changed/added/fixed I guess replay cameras enhancements are my big wish.  

No please don't mate, we need peoples opinions :)
Hi! Apart from roadbook, do You plan on releasing a list of community requested features that will, will not, or possibly will not be introduced in DiRT Rally? Thanks!

@justbiglee Any news on the Rallyx cars?
I wonder what cars they are eyeing up today at Lydden Hill?...

Hope it's all of them. If they get the ds3, fiesta, 208, polo, mini and the audi. I would be a happy driver. 

Rally School or Camera mode ... hmm, without being greedy I'd say Rally School. However, how much longevity there is in that option, I don't know. 

Just seen all the new Hillclimb Steam Achievements... looks like were getting a PUG 405 T16 to play with :smile: 

I've seen the fox run across the road in Wales a couple of times. I think it depends on your graphic settings, because I've only seen it when my gfx were set to Ultra
I think they might have grabbed the idea from Skyrim . . . it always seems that if you are going in the right direction there, the fox appears running alongside you . . .

I've seen the fox run across the road in Wales a couple of times. I think it depends on your graphic settings, because I've only seen it when my gfx were set to Ultra
I think they might have grabbed the idea from Skyrim . . . it always seems that if you are going in the right direction there, the fox appears running alongside you . . .

I saw what looked like another animal yesterday, a crow fly across the road in Monte Carlo. It was not 100% clear and obviously the scenery with it being blue grey and white made it more difficult to see, but I am sure it was there. It was not there on the replay.

Achievements for the Pikes Peak Pack were added on Steam! 

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/310560/achievements

Are we about to see the release of the pack tomorrow? :smile:   :D

Achievements for the Pikes Peak Pack were added on Steam! 

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/310560/achievements

Are we about to see the release of the pack tomorrow? :smile:   :D
I think the #128 thing it is a enough clue :pensive: