Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

 

 

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

The original game is called Colin McRae Dirt
This game has been the only Dirt until Dirt 4 came out with a service area and a rally championship  mode.

 

It has been only Dirt since Dirt 3 (2011)..

8 hours ago, gleylancer571 said:

 

Colin McRae was released in 2005

 

First Colin MacRae game released in 1998 , it blew my mind in PS1 , was the best rally game ever made until this time with simcade/semi-sim physics ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
17 minutes ago, ianism said:

yes exactly. I am saying that you made a good guess. but you did not influence them. 🙂

To weigh in on this, locations and cars are chosen way in advance of a game's announcement, as it can take several months (sometimes over a year) to develop each.

In other words, a content list is pretty much decided before you all even know a game exists, though occasional changes to account for schedule changes or production timeline updates may shift things around.

An example: we wanted the SUBARU Impreza S4 to be the hero car of the Colin McRae: FLAT OUT Pack. That car was coming anyway, but it was further down the development timeline and we wanted to get teasers out in December/January. That meant the car got bumped up the queue to be ready for announce (this is also why it had the Legacy's audio in the initial teasers, before finished S4 audio was added in).

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Miatakias_GR said:

It has been only Dirt since Dirt 3 (2011)..

Dirt 2 officially has Colin's name on it, but in most of the marketing, box art, etc, it is referred to as Dirt 2. this is probably because he had died by this point and they did not want to be exploiting his name after such a tragedy, even though the licensing agreement probably made it hard/impossible for them to remove the name completely.

for example:

Dirt 2 (Bilingual game-play) - PlayStation 3 Standard Edition ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

The physics of Dirt 4 were every bit as serious as DR1.0

In fact, they were arguably superior, as the cars finally had proper weight. The single, glaring issue was the grip level, and that wasn't much of an issue with certain cars, for example the Subaru NR4. Choose that car and D4 was a superior rally game in every respect over Dirt 1.

At any rate, saying Dirt 4 was 'not a serious rally game' is laughable, as you might as well say DR1 was not a serious rally game.

It was the anomaly in the series, to be sure though.

Dirt 4 was a tonal disaster and not a very good outing for the series. Why you're pretending otherwise is super weird. DiRT has never been solely focused on rally, and it also was never a sim franchise. What are we even talking about here? This has been going on for a while and it's completely nonsensical. Dirt Rally is a spin off, and it's pretty evident now that it will continue to be a spin off while the mainline games continue. I still fail to see the problem here. No one freaked out that Forza Motorsport was going to die and that Horizon was going to kill the franchise.

DR1 was also not a sim. I don't understand the argument here.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ianism said:

Dirt 2 officially has Colin's name on it, but in most of the marketing, box art, etc, it is referred to as Dirt 2. this is probably because he had died by this point and they did not want to be exploiting his name after such a tragedy, even though the licensing agreement probably made it hard/impossible for them to remove the name completely.

I've never seen anything with Colin's name attached to D2 or D3. I'd also very much argue that D3 added in Gymkhana and a lot of other "fun arcade racer" elements and was in fact not solely nor primarily focused on rally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I've never seen anything with Colin's name attached to D2 or D3. I'd also very much argue that D3 added in Gymkhana and a lot of other "fun arcade racer" elements and was in fact not solely nor primarily focused on rally.

His name was on the European cover.

 

s-l640.jpg

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

It has been only Dirt since Dirt 3 (2011).. 

First Colin MacRae game released in 1998 , it blew my mind in PS1 , was the best rally game ever made until this time with simcade/semi-sim physics ..

I had also committed myself I meant Colin Mcrae Dirt from 2007

And I'm talking facts Colin McRae Dirt is the first part of the Dirt series

I think ColinMcRae Dirt and Dirt 4 are the best games in the Dirt series.
Because both have a service park and because the stages of Dirt 4 were longer than what you already knew from WRC (Epic Stages)

In Dirt 2 and 3 there is also rally but the stages are much too short and there is no service park.

And like I said before, there are four years between Dirt 3 and Dirt Rally and six years between Dirt 3 and 4.

And exactly why Codemasters didn't release a rally game for four years you should think about that

Edited by gleylancer571
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kellemann said:

96547464_3745053145567226_75072647249925

they made a roadmap of when they're going to reveal different aspects of the game? my only question is 

Huh GIFs | Tenor

.... why?

that's some meta-as-hell marketing strategy, trying to get people excited for the announcement of a thing. like, I get it, I just think it's dumb haha

Edited by ianism
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

I have a problem because the citroen C3 R5 does not make the correct sound when shifting and braking as on PC?😠

If you're referring to what you saw in the D5 trailer, ignore sounds in that for now, build isn't finished.  Or are you referring to DR2 on console?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I would seriously doubt it, i think they're two quite different game styles.

Made by the same devs though... Previous Dirt (and dirt rally games)  is from devs that  make Grid as well.. And while Dirt 1/2/3 and Grid 1/autosport/2019 (Grid 2 was too arcade)  have proper arcade to simcade physics , OnRush has Android level physics,  i am seriously anxious for Dirt 5

Edited by Miatakias_GR
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Dirt 4 was a tonal disaster and not a very good outing for the series. Why you're pretending otherwise is super weird. DiRT has never been solely focused on rally, and it also was never a sim franchise. What are we even talking about here? This has been going on for a while and it's completely nonsensical. Dirt Rally is a spin off, and it's pretty evident now that it will continue to be a spin off while the mainline games continue. I still fail to see the problem here. No one freaked out that Forza Motorsport was going to die and that Horizon was going to kill the franchise.

DR1 was also not a sim. I don't understand the argument here.

Good God, you really are a master of changing your own goalposts.

You stated 'Dirt 4 was in no way a serious rally game'. 

This is flat-out wrong. That is all. 

It would have been nice for D5 to continue the serious rally component. It won't. End of story. 

 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Good God, you really are a master of changing your own goalposts.

You stated 'Dirt 4 was in no way a serious rally game'. 

This is flat-out wrong. That is all. 

It would have been nice for D5 to continue the serious rally component. It won't. End of story. 

Dirt 4 is not a serious rally game. It attempted to be by ignoring every other aspect of the franchise and failed and got panned. Why would they return to that when they can go back to the old model that did really well and had a large fanbase?

Goal posts haven't shifted. D4 was not a very good rally game. And I didn't set those goal posts, you did.

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

@JZStudios knows better than Paul Coleman.

It's amazing JZ isn't a project lead at Codies!

The handling in D4 did improve over DR in some ares, the 4WD was quite good, i don't remember the FWD, but the RWD was absolutely screwed up it's own backside.  Paul wasn't wrong, they did tear it down and revisit it, fixed a lot of fundamental issues with DR physics, but the handling was messed up, and overly complicated once they split it to Arcade and Sim.

As far as D4 being a serious rally game, it wasn't, it was trying to be DR 2 and D4 at the same time, they liked how popular previous Dirt games were and how popular the early access test title, DR, was received, so they made both games together, it failed.

  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...