Jump to content Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 8/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, PJTierney said:

DR2 Masters is harder, yes.

Jon Armstrong set a fair chunk of the benchmark times that AI pace is built off of, and he's pretty quick 😉 

Just curious: did he set those benchmark times using career mode rules (12 stages in one sitting with up to 5 restarts) or did he set them using time trial rules (keep driving the same stage unlimited times and your all-time best time is the one that counts) ? Because those are two different things entirely. The former is literally the pace of a crazy fast driver in career mode. Asking players to beat that is a pretty tall order. Beating his all-time stage PB's 12 times in a row with up to 5 restarts, and repeating that 6 times, is something else.

Of course the career mode leaderboards are less competitive than time trial leaderboards, because the rules are entirely different. It's like saying that your all-time PB laptime is faster than your average laptime over a 2H race. Ideally masters should be based on how fast a top driver is in career mode, how fast he is in time trial just doesn't compare.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

Just curious: did he set those benchmark times using career mode rules (12 stages in one sitting with up to 5 restarts) or did he set them using time trial rules (keep driving the same stage unlimited times and your all-time best time is the one that counts) ? Because those are two different things entirely. The former is literally the pace of a crazy fast driver in career mode. Asking players to beat that is a pretty tall order. Beating his all-time stage PB's 12 times in a row with up to 5 restarts, and repeating that 6 times, is something else.

Of course the career mode leaderboards are less competitive than time trial leaderboards, because the rules are entirely different. It's like saying that your all-time PB laptime is faster than your average laptime over a 2H race. Ideally masters should be based on how fast a top driver is in career mode, how fast he is in time trial just doesn't compare.

He and the other drivers probably set the times not using in-car views as well, since the wet and snowy times aren’t affected by the weather effects.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

My favourite car/location combo in the game 🙂 

I have got a lot fonder of the 6R4 after driving it in the latter McRae challenges, it might not be the fastest car in class, but I find it one of the easiest Group B cars to drive on the limit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Car upgrades (especially ones with an unlock requirement) are a terrible idea that only make the game worse instead of adding anything positive. I hope they are ditched for future Dirt Rally (and WRC) titles completely. Arcade-focused Dirt titles are another thing, but fantasy "grind extra horsepower for your car" mechanics don't really belong in a sim-focused, authenticity-focused title.

We now have a weekly with Peugeot 206 WRC. A great car that I have driven quite a lot in freeplay, but never in My Team because the 2000cc class is criminally under-represented in online events and I really don't have time to do a masters championship with every car. So now I will have to complete the weekly with this gimped, under-powered version of the car, instead of being able to drive the car in its full glory. Not that I was going to win the weekly anyway but it sure does harm my enjoyment in driving the car in addition to my position.

/rant

Edited by HoksuHoo
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoksuHoo said:

Car upgrades (especially ones with an unlock requirement) are a terrible idea that only make the game worse instead of adding anything positive. I hope they are ditched for future Dirt Rally (and WRC) titles completely. Arcade-focused Dirt titles are another thing, but fantasy "grind extra horsepower for your car" mechanics don't really belong in a sim-focused, authenticity-focused title.

Yeah, I agree. The reliability upgrades make sense, but I think the mileage dependent performance upgrades are daft.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Imo the reliability upgrades are pointless at best since reliability is a non-issue in My Team due to the overly forgiving damage model (even with the so-called hardcore damage mode on. Why they would implement an optional damage model literally called hardcore but make it the opposite of hardcore, I have no idea) and service every 2/3 stages so you will never ever not be able to fully repair your car unless you do the kind of crashing that should result in multiple DNF's.

But yeah. The performance upgrades are completely nonsensical. So is having to unlock setups, but at least that has no unlock requirement

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

Car upgrades (especially ones with an unlock requirement) are a terrible idea that only make the game worse instead of adding anything positive. I hope they are ditched for future Dirt Rally (and WRC) titles completely. Arcade-focused Dirt titles are another thing, but fantasy "grind extra horsepower for your car" mechanics don't really belong in a sim-focused, authenticity-focused title.

We now have a weekly with Peugeot 206 WRC. A great car that I have driven quite a lot in freeplay, but never in My Team because the 2000cc class is criminally under-represented in online events and I really don't have time to do a masters championship with every car. So now I will have to complete the weekly with this gimped, under-powered version of the car, instead of being able to drive the car in its full glory. Not that I was going to win the weekly anyway but it sure does harm my enjoyment in driving the car in addition to my position.

/rant

I agree that its a pretty stupid feature. If you dont feel like driving it underpowered at least its possible to do one country or so in career, it should give you up to the first or maybe even second upgrade in 2000cc. The first upgrade is in itself a huge upgrade compared to how the other ones affect performance.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, that's one thing you can do, but it's an awful lot of completely pointless grinding as you would have to do the same thing with every car you intend to compete with and the game has quite a lot of cars. My Team mode would be far better without the need to grind extra performance at all

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A much slower path to acquiring new cars, but with no car-upgrades (or at least keeping these to actual realistic equivalents) would be better, but with a greater choice of events at any one time, rather than just the one and only path forward through identikit career rally events on permanent repeat.

Oh, and however its final format turns out: OFFLINE CAREER MODE PLEASE

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gfRally said:

If anyone would ever listen at CM..  these tools help to promote your product, don’t just chuck us a bone, give us the whole meal, and we will tip you well with much content.  

Assetto Corsa sucks though. The only reason it's alive always has been mods the devs got all butthurt about and banned from their forum.

  • Confused 1
  • Disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Assetto Corsa sucks though. The only reason it's alive always has been mods the devs got all butthurt about and banned from their forum.

a) no it doesn't - I hardly play it (I miss rolling starts and the AI is quite poor compared to ACC and Raceroom) but it's a great platform

b) the devs didn't get "all butthurt about [mods] and banned from their forum", they had opportunities to work with manufacturers (ie Porsche) that wouldn't work with them unless they stopped actively encouraging modding unlicenced content - the deals and packs they made allowed them to extend support for the game long after it would have done otherwise

c) aren't mods a perfectly good reason for a game to be alive? It has so much rich content that wouldn't be commercially viable and it's still the most played racing game on Steam stats

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the points above about car upgrades, personally (especially with the move the WRC) I'd love to see things like reliability upgrades kept, but worked into a team system. So various private teams have different packages and the opportunity for 'works' drives with the fully upgraded kit.

 

That said, there needs to be standardisation for the online challenges though, it's ridiculous having different car specs for these IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

That said, there needs to be standardisation for the online challenges though, it's ridiculous having different car specs for these IMO.

This. It's completely out of place in a serious sim-focused racing game that when players compete online some players have more horsepower for the same car than others, some players can change setups while some can't, some players have far smaller penalties for resets and punctures than others etc. This isn't some MMORPG where your character become more powerful by leveling up. Career mode can and should feature some kind of progression, but this should not give advantages in online racing, and even for career it needs to be done in a more logical way than "mileage increases your car horsepower" which just isn't right for this kind of game, and does nothing other than force players to drive gimped cars to grind more horsepower.

Perhaps online and career should be separated completely. You wouldn't get money for career from online events but also career progression would not affect your ability to compete online like it really shouldn't.

Edited by HoksuHoo
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HoksuHoo said:

This. It's completely out of place in a serious sim-focused racing game that when players compete online some players have more horsepower for the same car than others, some players can change setups while some can't, some players have far smaller penalties for resets and punctures than others etc. This isn't some MMORPG where your character become more powerful by leveling up. Career mode can and should feature some kind of progression, but this should not give advantages in online racing, and even for career it needs to be done in a more logical way than "mileage increases your car horsepower" which just isn't right for this kind of game, and does nothing other than force players to drive gimped cars to grind more horsepower.

Perhaps online and career should be separated completely. You wouldn't get money for career from online events but also career progression would not affect your ability to compete online like it really shouldn't.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Social Media & Community Team
6 hours ago, gfRally said:

If anyone would ever listen at CM..  these tools help to promote your product, don’t just chuck us a bone, give us the whole meal, and we will tip you well with much content.  

Chris Haye's videos are great 🙂 

 

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Assetto Corsa sucks though. The only reason it's alive always has been mods the devs got all butthurt about and banned from their forum.

Chris' video isn't specifically about Assetto Corsa, moreso the tools that content creators would like to have in order to be able to make more engaging/cinematic videos.

I agree with him in that some of those tools would be very useful, especially a controllable "free cam" in Replays 🙂 

How all that works and ensures oddities like collision detection and the like are dealt with, I'm not a game designer so I don't know 🙂 

 

13 minutes ago, gymkanaenzo32 said:

when will we receive the new fiesta R5? thank you

In the v1.16 update.

Expect a release date for that soon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...