Jump to content Jump to content

12 hours ago, somethingthing said:

Do anyone else think that the tarmac on gravel stages feels better than in actual tarmac stages? Its a bit difficult to just say that its actually better considering the small time you drive on it each time but id probably drive more tarmac rally if it had the same feeling. Now I just stay away from it.

i think there is something better about the feel of tarmac in gravel stages .Just like it was in Dirtfish rally school .............

Edited by Madhun1967

Knock, Knock... Hey DR3 Devs!  I think it would be kind of you to say hi now and then, maybe introduce yourselves, tell us how YOU have been involved in real rally.  Yes, we miss the old personalities that used to be here, but we would like to know you a little, like you actually care about who plays your games.  

This is not a rant, but the Gossip thread was FUELED by developers passion talking here and at least put a faces on the hard work that just ends up a line in the credits.

Edited by gfRally
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-06-take-two-is-in-talks-to-buy-codemasters

As reported by VGC, Take-Two - which already owns publishing labels 2K, Rockstar Games, and Private Division - announced it had made a non-binding proposal to acquire Codemasters' entire share capital in an internal statement released earlier today.

Should Take-Two decide to proceed with the offer once confirmatory due diligence is complete and other conditions have been met, Codemasters says its board intends to unanimously recommend that its shareholders accept the deal.

Take-Two Interactive has until 4th December this year to announce its firm intention to make an offer for Codemasters.

How do you guys think the dirt rally series will be affected by this? 😞

Edited by somethingthing
  • Sad 1
47 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-06-take-two-is-in-talks-to-buy-codemasters

How do you guys think the dirt rally series will be affected by this? 😞

I think this is on a level were people are not really interested in games, it is all about return on investments.

But it can for sure affect games, as smaller games with no mega fanbase are shot off by the board. For hard core sim games it is maybe not so good.

• Agree 2
5 hours ago, Janneman60 said:

I think this is on a level were people are not really interested in games, it is all about return on investments.

But it can for sure affect games, as smaller games with no mega fanbase are shot off by the board. For hard core sim games it is maybe not so good.

Considering how many other franchises Take Two has killed in favor of forcing everyone to work on GTA and milk money from players I'd hope CM keeps control. These big buyouts always lead to the death of franchises.

That being said, I'm still surprised how many studios CM has bought out themselves since I figured they were closing in on bankrupt.

• Agree 1

Some of the fear out there is based on Take Two bringing in monetisation... but DR2.0 was already pretty heavily monetised, with its pay for content model.

But will T2 dumb down any of the games? The Dirt series is not something to worry about becoming compromised, as its already gone in a full-blown retar-whoops, sorry, full-blown 'fun' direction

Grid was also pap, Project Cars gone down the 12 year old audience gurgler.

I've never played the F1 series. Whatevs.

So it comes down to whether Dirt Rally and WRC will be stupidified. I doubt it. Dirt 2.0's handling and physics is its massive core strength, and any problems with its sales were due to its poor state at release. They would be insane to mess with the 'authentic' core brief.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 2

It seems like no matter what, we will get at least one more rally focused, sim title from Codemasters before anyone even has an opportunity to mess that up. I couldn't be more excited if that is indeed the case. I will definitely be disappointed if the Dirt Rally and future CM WRC titles get watered down and adopt a more arcade handling model with some type of Forza Horizon festival type atmosphere. I like the FH games but don't want to see Dirt Rally and CM WRC games adopt that style/tone. I feel like Codemasters has already made it clear how they feel about this which is why they publicly declared a split between the numbered Dirt and Dirt Rally teams. I like arcade and sims (Dirt and Dirt Rally) but I feel like they should remain separate in at least their tone. I do wish the numbered Dirt still had rally stages like Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 did. I would have liked rally to be present in Dirt 5 and the inevitable future Dirt Rally and CM WRC titles. I guess I want my sims to be more serious in tone and closer to reality and I want my arcade games more fun focused but not necessarily eliminating any racing discipline from either franchise. I want rally in Dirt and Dirt Rally games and would enjoy them equally for different reasons. The moment that you make them all sims or all arcade, you lose a good portion of what makes them special to different people. Also, it seems rather difficult for many people (myself included) to define what a sim is versus an arcade or simcade game. I guess I want Dirt Rally and CM WRC games to feel like they have a more realistic handling model even if that isn't really real. At the end of the day, I play games to have fun and for the challenge and I know they are just games.

If Codemasters combines future Dirt Rally and WRC content into one title then I think we will get less rally content overall since it has been removed from the Dirt series. If they continue making Dirt Rally titles while also making WRC titles then I will be very satisfied if they are more sim focused and feature a large number of unique stage miles with great physics and controller handling. I would be delighted to see stage rally return to numbered Dirt games though. Give me all the great rally I can get whether that's in Dirt, Dirt Rally or CM WRC titles.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
7 hours ago, FlatOverCrest said:

I will definitely be disappointed if the Dirt Rally and future CM WRC titles get watered down and adopt an more arcade handling model with some type of Forza Horizon festival type atmosphere

The festival atmosphere in racing games is a trend that needs to die. It's fine in Horizon, but it's been going on way too long and everyone is just copying everyone else. The Crew 1 had a pretty mediocre story, but then the Crew 2 is just a straight rip-off of Horizon and has no story at all. I also just don't get it. I assume people buy car games to race and look at cars, not listen to wub wub and do stupid dances wearing dumb clothes.

In other news, I've *cough*acquired Toca 3 to try out. Apparently the Steam version has some type of DRM that will brick your PC. Super cool. Thankfully GOG exists and had a DRM free version that CM made them remove.

Anyway, I don't think it's aged all that well. Visually it looks fine, not amazing, but the vehicle handling is just... weird. It's not a sim, but it's not arcade, but it's also not a simcade. The biggest issue is the absurd  understeer that will just randomly decide to oversteer. But it's not snap oversteer on steering change or off throttle, you'll just understeer off the track, keep the same input, and then instantly spin. Jumps and bumps also upset the car way too much.

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

The festival atmosphere in racing games is a trend that needs to die. It's fine in Horizon, but it's been going on way too long and everyone is just copying everyone else. The Crew 1 had a pretty mediocre story, but then the Crew 2 is just a straight rip-off of Horizon and has no story at all. I also just don't get it. I assume people buy car games to race and look at cars, not listen to wub wub and do stupid dances wearing dumb clothes.

😀 Hear, hear!

19 hours ago, JZStudios said:

In other news, I've *cough*acquired Toca 3 to try out. Apparently the Steam version has some type of DRM that will brick your PC. Super cool. Thankfully GOG exists and had a DRM free version that CM made them remove.

Anyway, I don't think it's aged all that well. Visually it looks fine, not amazing, but the vehicle handling is just... weird. It's not a sim, but it's not arcade, but it's also not a simcade. The biggest issue is the absurd  understeer that will just randomly decide to oversteer. But it's not snap oversteer on steering change or off throttle, you'll just understeer off the track, keep the same input, and then instantly spin. Jumps and bumps also upset the car way too much.

So I dragged my wheel out to try it with Toca 3 in the interest of trying the whole package. It's worse with a wheel. I could see people having nostalgia for it if they didn't have any better realistic racing games like GT or Forza, but it's not great with a controller and worse with a wheel. There's a "pro-sim" handling model that's anything but and in either flavor regardless of input device the physics are just weird and make no sense. Really disappointing, it has a nice variety of content like if F1, Dirt, and modern Grid were all combined, but it's all pretty poor to drive.

20 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Interesting. I use a no-CD exe to run the original game (I don't think the StarForce protection bricks Win10, it just won't install/work (but don't quote me on that!). I've installed numerous StarForce games, then uninstalled StarForce and used no-CD exes fine.

2 hours ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

Interesting. I use a no-CD exe to run the original game (I don't think the StarForce protection bricks Win10, it just won't install/work (but don't quote me on that!). I've installed numerous StarForce games, then uninstalled StarForce and used no-CD exes fine.

Dunno. The GOG version has no DRM at all.

In other unrelated news I'm trying GT4 with my wheel, and I hate the license tests. I nabbed a save file that has them all done, but I thought I'd try some of the higher level ones anyways just to prove I can do it. IA-15 is total garbage. It's a lap around the Nurburgring in a 190E aiming for under 9 minute lap time, which would be pretty easy, except there's a pace car that automatically fails you if you pass it, and if you don't you fail for being too slow.

I don't understand.

From day one I used any cheat engine going to bypass GT license tests. I could drive and race just fine but I'd always fail all the tests. They took the fun out of the games. I've never liked unlock formats either, I just want everything I want there from the start. That was why I liked Dirt Rally and the sequel as I could get in and just drive.

• Social Media & Community Team
3 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

From day one I used any cheat engine going to bypass GT license tests. I could drive and race just fine but I'd always fail all the tests. They took the fun out of the games.

For me they were the fun, they taught me how to drive properly in a racing game and gain a greater appreciation for racing as a whole.

20 years later and I'm spending most of my days making educational content for racing games 🙂 

Each to their own I guess. After GT2 there wasn't much close racing anyway, if I tuned my car well enough I could always be several seconds ahead no matter what the class was. I started to go off GT a bit after that and haven't found many games that give me a decent challenge. In PCars and AC I was either miles in front or miles behind with no happy medium. I loved Colin McRae Rally in it's various incarnations as the challenge was still there and I had fun watching the car self destruct if I got a corner wrong. You couldn't damage anything in GT so it was sometimes fun to see just how much damage you could take in CM and still keep going. The same things carried over into Dirt Rally and the sequel and they were the only games that I felt recaptured the spirit of the original Colin game that I loved so much.

1 hour ago, Rogerbee said:

Each to their own I guess. After GT2 there wasn't much close racing anyway, if I tuned my car well enough I could always be several seconds ahead no matter what the class was. I started to go off GT a bit after that and haven't found many games that give me a decent challenge. In PCars and AC I was either miles in front or miles behind with no happy medium. I loved Colin McRae Rally in it's various incarnations as the challenge was still there and I had fun watching the car self destruct if I got a corner wrong. You couldn't damage anything in GT so it was sometimes fun to see just how much damage you could take in CM and still keep going. The same things carried over into Dirt Rally and the sequel and they were the only games that I felt recaptured the spirit of the original Colin game that I loved so much.

I started with Grand Prix 2. It was very easy to edit some files so I could change the strenght of every team but also my own compared to the rest. So I could set up a championship that was easy or one that was difficult for my skills.

I really miss that in dirt rally games, if there is a slider to set difficulty like in dirt4 somehow codemasters seems to mess up and it is to easy, or they have it like in dr2.0 were is goes in one step from easy to extreme.

5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

For me they were the fun, they taught me how to drive properly in a racing game and gain a greater appreciation for racing as a whole.

20 years later and I'm spending most of my days making educational content for racing games 🙂 

But how do you beat a time when the car your following doesn't even come close and forces you to back off? Most of them are just "Do this one corner with no sense of how the car feels, and when you inevitably fail we'll play a dumb sex song." I looked up a video and the guy did it in 8:40 something, but I don't know how because I had to keep backing off and the pace car wasn't anywhere close to that time and I got 9:11.

I tried one in a TVR going around a corner, but I'm pretty sure the over/understeer control was on and it massively gimps your speed. The only way to get around the corner fast enough reliably would be to not have the game lock up all your wheels every time you turned slightly.

Either way, it's not racing and the difference between gold and bronze was like .3 seconds. Then I think about the fact that they gate stuff off until you complete these BS tests, and 90% of people would be using a PS2 controller with a button for the throttle. Okay.

3 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

That's why I like Forza more, at least more than GT4. You're placed into performance classes, not just completely open so the racing is tighter, and even the first game had damage that you had to pay to fix at the end of the race. I bought a car to do a "spyder" race, but was outclassed by everything else. So then do I buy another faster car and hope it's good enough, or do I spend way too much money upgrading the **** one? It's much easier to just hit a performance class.

I also wish racing games would stop the irritating trend of 2-3 lap races and you always start in last place. That by definition means the AI needs to suck so you can pass all of them in a lap or 2.

• PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip