Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney

It's a bit cheeky - the game was itself described in Codemaster's annual report (yes I looked at that a while back) as their first trial of a 'GaS' ie game-as-service. Not only that but the game was in a poor state at release.

Long period of content update was the financial model for the release. I'm ok with that, as it turned out well overall with a fine amount of content.

There's definitely an element of genuinely free new content, for sure, but asking to be nominated for the whole thing as an exemplar of free continued service is, well, hmmm...

I think I spent $119.97 to get all of the content in Dirt Rally 2.0 (Day One Edition $59.99 + S1&S2 $29.99 + S3&S4 $29.99). I think the whole labor of love thing is a bit of a stretch at those prices. Kinda makes it sound like we were getting lots of free content, which to me is definitely not the case. It's my favorite racing game of 2019/2020 but in no way was it a bargain. I'm not saying I regret buying it but that's nearly as much as two AAA games. I appreciate the sound updates, the new location and the car but for the total price of the paid DLC in the game, I don't know that you can consider them free.

I hope the next Dirt Rally game has all new locations in the base game and all new DLC. I don't want to play a good portion of the same game, with a fresh coat of paint the next time around. I want an amazing all new experience at those prices. To me, rally games are not something that you iterate on like the F1 games. You need fresh locations with longer stages that keep you relying on the co-driver. I have driven the stages in Dirt Rally 2.0 so much that I will feel like I am playing a circuit racer if these same locations/stages are in the next game. After so many locations/stages being in the first Dirt Rally game and now Dirt Rally 2.0, I feel like it has to be a clean slate for me to want to spend that much money again.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
9 hours ago, Orangetuner said:

i know one sim racing studio's team in particular whos been putting a lot of other sim studios to shame. I wont say any names though. 

Say them, so people can learn. We don't deal in propaganda/taboos on this forum, you can mention other racing titles 😉 

For example, I'm playing a lot of Hotshot Racing at the moment, since it's free on Game Pass. Good game, I'll enjoy it for 20 hours and then move on to something else.

16 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

It's a bit cheeky - the game was itself described in Codemaster's annual report (yes I looked at that a while back) as their first trial of a 'GaS' ie game-as-service. Not only that but the game was in a poor state at release.

Long period of content update was the financial model for the release. I'm ok with that, as it turned out well overall with a fine amount of content.

There's definitely an element of genuinely free new content, for sure, but asking to be nominated for the whole thing as an exemplar of free continued service is, well, hmmm...

Apparently SpinTires is still getting free updates, including new maps and vehicles.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Say them, so people can learn. We don't deal in propaganda on this forum, you can mention other racing titles 😉 

Alright haha. I was hinting to the incredible amount of service Reiza Studios have been putting into Automobalista 2 since it was in early access to post launch. There have been a lot of comparison between them and other sim studios on RaceDepartment's website and they receive a lot of praise on every post about them.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Rogerbee said:

Now that does look good! Were I to fancy delving into another driving sim, this might well be one I'd consider.

They released Nordschleife a little bit ago too. Every week or every other week they roll out updates to the force feed back and physics. I mean just look at the aerodynamics model at play in this video.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Orangetuner said:

They released Nordschleife a little bit ago too. Every week or every other week they roll out updates to the force feed back and physics. I mean just look at the aerodynamics model at play in this video.

Very impressive! If I can win by 1 or 2 seconds instead of 20 I could be inclined to give this one a whirl. I know it's not rallying, but, I have Dirt Rally games for that.

• Agree 2

In completely unrelated news, back in 2019 I got Grid Autosport free from GameSessions. They were attempting to be a middle man game demo/trial period service for Steam games. Shockingly, this didn't do well and they're shutting it down, but since I got the game through GS and didn't actually get a Steam key... I guess the game is just vanished. Which is cool.

And it's no longer available for purchase through Steam. Which is also cool.

Well, guess I'll just use the ol' Yarharr method.

Remember kids, buy physical.

can you play single player do time trial on nords ? wanted ACC to do this but you just get its not part of the calender from all the diehards who forgot that AC was so popular because nords was in it.

if can do time trial would buy this game instant. like dirt should of done or got isle of man tt course. imagine that flat out with cars. would be amazing.

4 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

can you play single player do time trial on nords ? wanted ACC to do this but you just get its not part of the calender from all the diehards who forgot that AC was so popular because nords was in it.

if can do time trial would buy this game instant. like dirt should of done or got isle of man tt course. imagine that flat out with cars. would be amazing.

You can do time trials on Nordschleife or any track and car. I dont know if its part of the campaign though if that's what you're asking. 

Edited by Orangetuner
  • Agree 1
13 hours ago, htjnthnghnghngh said:

I am new in Dirt Rally 2.0. Could you tell me , when I am trying to play carrer rally (Open) I see only one car , is it ok ?

Can I repair the car between the stages within one event ?

You can repair the car every time you get back to a Service Area.

Once you select a car for a Championship, it can't be used anywhere else until the Championship is done.

If you just started you only own 1 car for Rally (Lancia Fulvia) and 1 for Rallycross (Opel Corsa).

Does anyone else feel like if they drive a 10km stage or 2 in Dirt rally they get worn out so fast but hop into RBR NGP and drive 3-4 15km stages and not get sick at all? I think there needs to be more special stages taken from real life per location and no more chopping up/reversing stages and counting that as the whole rally for each country.

After watching some new drivers over on twitch starting their careers on a 10km stage then crashing right away and having to do the same stage over again but reversed or chopped up actually hurts the fun I feel like.  Even I dont like doing that and I have ~1000 hours in dirt rally games. I think starting people off in Rally Sprint locations in dirt rally 3.0 would fix this. 

I know that people are asking for more longer stages and I totally agree but honestly a 10km stage can take like 7-10mins which is already brutal especially for new people. Imagine only doing 2-4  copy/paste 20-50km stages that are all 20-40 min back to back.... Now imagine throwing a new player into that. Yeah lol. The game should be hard in terms of physics wise but Everything doesn't have to start out so hard. In fact I would say that starting someone out in a rally event is not representative of actual real people starting out in this sport in real life . Most people will start off buying a cheap hatchback and throwing it around a local rally cross stage  Or maybe they will attend a local rally sprint event in their area or near by. They will do this until they can have the confidence to do a real rally because they're not just insanely hard but also insanely expensive if you consider all the parts and tires that need to be bought.

Thats how a career should start out in dirt rally 3.0. Save those 30-60km stages for when you reach WRC level or something. Do some rally sprints in between events and add some hillclimb too if youre brave enough.

Edited by Orangetuner
21 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

Very impressive! If I can win by 1 or 2 seconds instead of 20 I could be inclined to give this one a whirl. I know it's not rallying, but, I have Dirt Rally games for that.

as ive looked into this more it really does look good. might even get the wheel back out for this one. been waiting for some one to get nords done. many people are rating the handling as well. also on offer right now.

5 hours ago, Orangetuner said:

Does anyone else feel like if they drive a 10km stage or 2 in Dirt rally they get worn out so fast but hop into RBR NGP and drive 3-4 15km stages and not get sick at all? I think there needs to be more special stages taken from real life per location and no more chopping up/reversing stages and counting that as the whole rally for each country.

After watching some new drivers over on twitch starting their careers on a 10km stage then crashing right away and having to do the same stage over again but reversed or chopped up actually hurts the fun I feel like.  Even I dont like doing that and I have ~1000 hours in dirt rally games. I think starting people off in Rally Sprint locations in dirt rally 3.0 would fix this. 

I know that people are asking for more longer stages and I totally agree but honestly a 10km stage can take like 7-10mins which is already brutal especially for new people. Imagine only doing 2-4  copy/paste 20-50km stages that are all 20-40 min back to back.... Now imagine throwing a new player into that. Yeah lol. The game should be hard in terms of physics wise but Everything doesn't have to start out so hard. In fact I would say that starting someone out in a rally event is not representative of actual real people starting out in this sport in real life . Most people will start off buying a cheap hatchback and throwing it around a local rally cross stage  Or maybe they will attend a local rally sprint event in their area or near by. They will do this until they can have the confidence to do a real rally because they're not just insanely hard but also insanely expensive if you consider all the parts and tires that need to be bought.

Thats how a career should start out in dirt rally 3.0. Save those 30-60km stages for when you reach WRC level or something. Do some rally sprints in between events and add some hillclimb too if youre brave enough.

more entertaining short technical stages will always be played more than 10 + minute events. realistically the amount of people playing the longer events will be miniscule. its like anything. if you dont have it you want it ! the reality is though. literally no one would play super long stages. as most people want fast fun exciting events in short amounts of time they can handle.

incoming next person saying but i want super long stages.....probably jzstudios lol.

Edited by dgeesi0

I want super long stages

Super long to me are the current 13-15kms we get in 2.0. You absolutely need these endurance events to balance things out, but only here and there. And it'd be extra nice if at least one section of these stages were unique.

Having said that:

12 hours ago, Orangetuner said:

In fact I would say that starting someone out in a rally event is not representative of actual real people starting out in this sport in real life . Most people will start off buying a cheap hatchback and throwing it around a local rally cross stage  Or maybe they will attend a local rally sprint event in their area or near by. They will do this until they can have the confidence to do a real rally because they're not just insanely hard but also insanely expensive if you consider all the parts and tires that need to be bought.

- totally agree. Career mode needs to be longer and more like a real rally experience. Seasoned players could have their custom championships to get the full range of events, and then play career mode to get 'inside the skin' of a real wannabe rookie rally driver and follow their path.

The problem with the current career mode is it is not differentiated enough from custom championships. Combine that with forced-online and all the waiting around for connection to racenet, all the heavy rain and night time stages, etc etc, and it becomes 'why bother with career mode?' 

10 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

I want super long stages

Super long to me are the current 13-15kms we get in 2.0. You absolutely need these endurance events to balance things out, but only here and there. And it'd be extra nice if at least one section of these stages were unique.

Having said that:

- totally agree. Career mode needs to be longer and more like a real rally experience. Seasoned players could have their custom championships to get the full range of events, and then play career mode to get 'inside the skin' of a real wannabe rookie rally driver and follow their path.

The problem with the current career mode is it is not differentiated enough from custom championships. Combine that with forced-online and all the waiting around for connection to racenet, all the heavy rain and night time stages, etc etc, and it becomes 'why bother with career mode?' 

Yeah I agree. But im also saying at the moment codemasters only replicate 1-2 real life stages per location and chops them up and reverses them and turn them into 4-12 stages in dirt rally. Its just filler. Do you know what Im saying? its gets old quick but it wouldnt be a problem if there were simply more real life stages replicated from their location and added to each country to take away the repetitiveness thats in Dirt Rally. I know this because I can do like 4-6 15-km stages in RBR ngp and not feel repetitive at all but avoid only 1 7km stage in Dirt Rally.

The dirt rally locations are all only 1 stage in real life. 

I think you may already know what im saying but just for others to see ill clarify what i mean. Here is all of Dirt Rally long monte carlo stages from as one stage in real life:

There are 12-15 stages like this. so We are all only play just one stage if you know what im saying.

As far as a career goes Imagine if career story started you out like as someone who just bought a hatchback off craigslist, get a team and throw your cheap hatchback around some rallycross track or rally sprint then to decide you want to up grade your vehicle and enter into a rally league relative to your region. Then you get good and maybe get sponsored by a racing division of an auto manufacturer. Or a popular motosport sponsor like Martini or an energy drink sponsor like Monster, Red bull and Rockstar. 

Regarding Stages, locations are the single biggest time resource in the game's development, taking up the vast majority of art time, research etc. I don't think having a full rally's unique stages would be viable unless you want a game to take 10 years to make 🙂 

I'm all for a longer "parent Stage" though, which could then be cut up into 5, 6 or 7 "child" Stages compared to the 4 we have now.

• Agree 6
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Regarding Stages, locations are the single biggest time resource in the game's development, taking up the vast majority of art time, research etc. I don't think having a full rally's unique stages would be viable unless you want a game to take 10 years to make 🙂 

I'm all for a longer "parent Stage" though, which could then be cut up into 5, 6 or 7 "child" Stages compared to the 4 we have now.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know that locations took up the most time recourses. That's good to know. And of course I agree. longer parent stages to cut up. I know what I was saying might seem like a lot of work but when I see 12 stages in one location I just go "ugh" and go to custom career instead. And yeah I wouldn't expect a full rally's unique stages to make it in the new Dirt Rally 3.0 game I was just saying to take any kind of discomfort out of the Dirt Rally experience some more kind of variety can be added in somewhere. Anywhere. Even using tricks in the art department when decorating a stage. That could be more resourceful route to make give the "feeling" variety. 

most people in most racing rally games want the real locations. the problem is who owns the rights to em. its a shame this locks off companies from doing whats wanted.

hopefully with the wrc license this may change and we get all the real locations and events. so many big locations we just havent had which are iconic and many people wanted for years. keep your 15 minute long event. give me real locations in corsica , manx , monte , japan and all the rest. going to be interesting how this is dealt with along with hopefully toyota coming back.

• Agree 1

I want super long stages. There are plenty of longer real rally stages to justify it. The max stage length in the WRC is 80 km/50 miles and they actually had a stage that was that long back in 2016. I'm not saying I want stages that are 80 km long but I would like one 25+ km stage and at least one other unique stage per location. I want unique stage mileage and not just one small/medium stage cut up 6 different ways and run in reverse. That's just not enough to keep it fresh in my opinion. They could always put an event length slider or setting for people that didn't want to play the full length stages in career mode and people could just select smaller slices in custom events if that's what they prefer. Real rally is difficult and most events are over 200+ km. Since we are not going to get that many km per location we at least need enough variation to keep us relying on the co-driver. I think most people playing Dirt Rally games for an extended amount of time are looking for a challenge. I know I am. I'm just not a fan of the marketing department saying there are 100+ stages in a rally game when to me it's really just 13 unique small/medium stages chopped up and reversed. Total unique stages miles matters more than how many segments you can chop stages into. I'm hoping we get longer stages and more unique/varied stage km/miles in total for future Dirt Rally and Codemasters WRC games. Some real stages even within a single rally are very different and I would really love to see more of that variety in future games along with surface variation/changes that make a difference.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip