Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

After seeing people's comments on longer stages versus variety of stages and keeping current locations in the next Dirt Rally game, I am rather torn. I think it would be amazing to have all of the current rally locations and stages moved over to the next Dirt Rally but only if that didn't prevent us from getting at least 6 new locations and new content like we did in the previous Dirt Rally 2.0 game. I thought I saw a map someone made in the past that showed how a longer stage had to be split up into the two current parent stages that we now have in DR 2.0 because of the game engine limitations not allowing for longer stages. It would be very cool if those could be combined in the next game to give us the longer stages or played in their current form. I just don't want to mostly be driving the same stages that were in the previous games without lots of new ones to go along with them. I definitely agree with having variety within locations and that stages should not necessarily look the same just because they are at that same regional location. Saying that, it would be cool to have stages added with a different asthetic and surface types/colors/textures for current locations. Even though I want longer 25+ km stages, it's not like every location added has to have the 25+ km stages. As someone mentioned earlier WRC 9 has some longer stages at various locations and I really want to see at least a few 25+ km stages in the next game. Imagine driving the entire Finland Ouninpohja stage. That would be epic.

Also, imagine if we could get advanced pace notes like in this video. That would make the next game even more epic. Hopefully any locations that are converted to the next game/engine will abandon the mandatory smoke effects for all the locations that have that. Having fog or location specific weather that actually regularly occurs at locations in real life is great though as long as you can also drive under actual clear conditions.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
Edit
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

When teaser or info come  for DR 3  :classic_sad:

PJ said that this is the closest we are going to get for current information regarding the next Codemasters rally game:

ttps://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/codemasters-gets-rights-to-official-wrc-game/

Codemasters said: “We are committed to rally and the DiRT Rally team is already working on their next project ahead of the WRC agreement in 2023.”

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
12 minutes ago, FlatOverCrest said:

PJ said that this is the closest we are going to get for current information regarding the next Codemasters rally game:

ttps://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/codemasters-gets-rights-to-official-wrc-game/

Codemasters said: “We are committed to rally and the DiRT Rally team is already working on their next project ahead of the WRC agreement in 2023.”

i hope DR 3 come after event codemasters e-sports 

I don't suspect we will hear much, if anything at all, until the end of 2021. As much as I want a new Dirt Rally game, I want them to take their time and put the new console hardware and PC GPUs to work. Whenever they decide to release information on the next rally game, really hoping they decided to cut the cord on previous gen hardware and to wow us with a new engine, visuals and an updated physics model. If it's the same people on the team that made DR 2.0 then I am very optimistic about the next entry.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5

Cheer up mate. No reason to be sad. That just means they will take the time to do it right, give it the development time and proper launch that it deserves. That's not to say that I am not eagerly awaiting news and it's eventual release, because I am ecstatic about the possibilities.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
42 minutes ago, gk9147 said:

When teaser or info come  for DR 3  :classic_sad:

Currently focus is on DiRT 5. And still post release content needs to be released. So not expect in the coming months. I think earliest might be in summer or something. 

We can see when DiRT 5 was announced, this was in early May 2020. This was quite some time after S4 DLC, and also after the FLAT-OUT pack DLC that released in March 2020. The only content after that is the Fiesta R5 MK2. This is part of the World Series and was released September 2020.

So my expectation is still that there will still be a DiRT Rally title in 2021. Otherwise the gap imo from DiRT Rally 2.0 from 2019 to DiRT WRC in 2023 is to big, especially with the launch of DiRT5 in November 2020. About any announcement for DR3, it wont be before all the planned DLC for DiRT5 is released. 

Though reading this "Year 1 Edition players get access to all DIRT 5 content in the 12 months after launch, including a minimum of 12 new cars, 60 new Career events, new player sponsors, rewards, liveries, and more!". This though make things a bit different. if a release in 2021 is still being expected, than an announcement would already need to be made during when D5 content is still being released. 

If look to releases:
DiRT Rally (PS4) - 2015/2016
DiRT 4 (PS4) - 2017 June
DiRT Rally 2 (PS4) - 2019 Februari
DiRT 5 (PS4) - 2020 November *

*One important thing to notice about this, is DR1, D4 and DR2 is made by the DiRT Rally team. While DiRT 5 is made by an other dev team. Also investing 4 years in a WRC title wouldn't make so much sense. I don't know if the ROI would be that great. I think the DR players would also buy both games: DR3 (2021) and DIRT WRC (2023). In that case the ROI would be much greater to release both games. Also DR3 could be a bit more experimental for the WRC focused title. 

Also another thing to consider, after the release of DR2, not soon after that a part of the team already focused on the next Rally title (and not DiRT arcade, what they though did with D4). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Social Media & Community Team

Throwing an idea out here.

https://forums.codemasters.com/forum/28-dirt-rally-20-clubs-leagues/

This forum is pretty much dead. Thoughts on having people post in the main DR2 forum instead so that threads get more visibility?

I'm always down for people sharing leagues and stuff, though the question is how to balance that with regular game topics. Since "gossip" is the only active thread in here these days maybe we have some room.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Throwing an idea out here.

https://forums.codemasters.com/forum/28-dirt-rally-20-clubs-leagues/

This forum is pretty much dead. Thoughts on having people post in the main DR2 forum instead so that threads get more visibility?

I'm always down for people sharing leagues and stuff, though the question is how to balance that with regular game topics. Since "gossip" is the only active thread in here these days maybe we have some room.

As far as I've ever seen the gossip thread was always the only one that was constantly active.

• Codemasters Staff
On 12/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, JZStudios said:

I've been curious about this, does Sony own the old engine or something? Or did they just want to make a new engine?

When purchased we did not purchase any of the products or code/content they had previously made (which makes a lot of sense, IP law is big).  All of the work they had previously done is owned by Sony.  This is a lot like when we bought the Sega Racing Studio or Swordfish (I would have loved to work on a Fifty Cent game!), we got people and a building but no products.  SMS is different as they owned the games they made.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, CMMcBabe said:

When purchased we did not purchase any of the products or code/content they had previously made (which makes a lot of sense, IP law is big).  All of the work they had previously done is owned by Sony.  This is a lot like when we bought the Sega Racing Studio or Swordfish (I would have loved to work on a Fifty Cent game!), we got people and a building but no products.  SMS is different as they owned the games they made.

I didn't know CM bought Sega Racing Studio, or that one even existed. I get the IPs but it's common for studios that have their own engine to keep it when changing hands. Wonder if Sony is using it for anything.

15 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Wonder if Sony is using it for anything.

Presumably some of the tech made its way into the Polyphony engine for Gran Turismo Sport.

I know the first-party studios tend to share bits of tech around, like how an early prototype of Sea of Thieves' water physics was used to create the oceans in Forza Horizon 3.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Presumably some of the tech made its way into the Polyphony engine for Gran Turismo Sport.

I know the first-party studios tend to share bits of tech around, like how an early prototype of Sea of Thieves' water physics was used to create the oceans in Forza Horizon 3.

I hadn't heard that. Now I want to see a filter for Horizon so it looks like Auto Modellista.

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Bit like the way an off-cut of the intro sequence in The Shining, where a car is winding its way thru some mountains, was used later in Blade Runner for its 'happy ending' sequence as they drive into the mountains. Thankfully cut from the Directors Cut. 

Kinda sorta like that

I think I only saw the directors cut, ironically for the first time in November 2019. Like, holy ****! Blade runner is happening RIGHT NOW!

16 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Now I want to see a filter for Horizon so it looks like Auto Modellista.

Great looking game that 🙂

Heads up rally fans: I'm on Christmas break from now until early January. I may occasionally pop in to see how things are going but don't expect to see me around much 🙂 

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 5:54 PM, JZStudios said:

As far as I've ever seen the gossip thread was always the only one that was constantly active.

Yeah, has long been the way on the forum. Even the gossip thread seems to be struggling at the moment as there isn't much being said by the CM team*...

* Yeah, that was a hint. 

3 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Even the gossip thread seems to be struggling at the moment as there isn't much being said by the CM team*...

I wasn't around much in the DR1 days, but from what I gather the more active staff people on the forums are mainly ones that no longer work at Codemasters.

I'll see if I can change that in the future, but understandably anybody that's a "developer" is busy making games at the moment so you'll have to put up with me 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
17 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I wasn't around much in the DR1 days, but from what I gather the more active staff people on the forums are mainly ones that no longer work at Codemasters.

I'll see if I can change that in the future, but understandably anybody that's a "developer" is busy making games at the moment so you'll have to put up with me 🙂 

PJ, your doing a fine job here.  Nothing will bring the past back nor should it be faked.  The "old crew" were unique in how they worked, what they liked besides gaming, etc.  I said this before, though: When they popped in here, it was in a light hearted way, not drudgingly like it was part of the job.  Sure they got pelted with many questions, and some complaints, but they posted enough other things (memes or whatever) to show they where one of us, passionate about the title, and just plain human.  I doubt it did anything for sales in the grand scheme, but it made US fans of the games even more and fans of them.  I guess they enjoyed talking to our bunch, we had enough in common about our passions and probably picked up some Subaru knowledge from @tbtstt 🙂, I believe they came here on their own time.  

It just linked us all to the human behind a credit line in the game that many may never look at (unfortunately).  If the new devs don't see a value, that's their personal choice, but without them coming here this thread would be dead and gone long before it made it to 1659 pages. 

Stay safe

• Agree 6
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip