Jump to content Jump to content

Recommended Posts

yah this been on the cards for a while . it is a odd and weird situ to be in. will it become dirt 5 every year or will the sim side carry on. its wierd to be thinking like this but codies always been its own thing but they been gathering assets just to get brought out by EA. lots of money i guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

EA sports have published decent simulation oriented titles I believe, such as the golf titles.

If a take-over took place before 2.0 was released, we might be a bit more worried. But now that 2.0 has set the direction firmly with a good commercial result, it would be really surprising if that direction was up-ended.

I'm now REALLY glad that Codies took the Dirt series in that path! It's the lightning-rod for 'arcade direction'.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgeesi0 said:

yah this been on the cards for a while . it is a odd and weird situ to be in. will it become dirt 5 every year or will the sim side carry on. its wierd to be thinking like this but codies always been its own thing but they been gathering assets just to get brought out by EA. lots of money i guess.

No, if EA bought them they might keep the F1 franchise and shutter anything else that wasn't making $7 billion. Otherwise at best they might make them do Need for Speed for a period before shuttering them and shuffling the IP off to another studio they'd later close too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Per Steamspy, F1 2020 sold the same number roughly as DR2.0:

https://steamspy.com/app/1080110

https://steamspy.com/app/690790

Obviously there's lots of variables in this, including console sales, but at first blush it doesn't indicate a glaring deficiency in DR2.0's sales compared to F1

I think DR2.0 had a lot more DLC as well?

True, but that's only Steam, and I guarantee it still sold worse than NFS.

 

6 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

well the deal is done. will be interesting how things change. what happens to what titles.

Deal is done? Did EA actually buy them or are you just saying that?

 

4 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Blargh. I've now got the fear and agree this could be bad news. Merging of teams, 'synergies' and appeal to US tastes are all scary prospects. 

You all claimed they "appealed" to US tastes since 2008 all on their own.

 

2 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

Pound to a penny all rally titles will be obliged to feature Ken Block.

I'll take that bet. Kenny boy is tied tight with MS and Forza.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy the Camaro and Mustang, along with the other Rally GT vehicles. I REALLY like New England as well. I'm not really sure why people are so against having US-based content in future Dirt Rally titles. Rally in America is actually pretty exciting. It may not yet be as well known or popular as it is in other parts of the world but it's good enough for Subaru Motorsports USA to run a full two car program each year and to have a complete Subaru US-based rally video series (Launch Control). The Vermont SportsCar Subaru's they are running in ARA (America Rally Association) are top level vehicles and are quite a bit more capable than even what is represented in Dirt Rally 2.0 with the JRM developed Subaru WRC STI NR4 vehicle. I would absolutely love to see VSC (Vermont SportsCar) vehicles featured in future Dirt Rally titles. The JRM Subarus are fantastic NR4 class vehicles and I am not trying to take away from those. It's just that the VSC Subaru's are OPEN class monsters that I would really love to drive in the next game. The DirtFish Rally School and Team O'Neil Rally School are also both US-based and I think those are rather good. DirtFish is also pretty involved with the WRC at the moment. I'm not saying that I want most locations to be US-based but some of the US rally locations look to be pretty fantastic and I wouldn't mind seeing more of those. I know some people will disagree but for fans of VSC and Launch Control, it seems pretty exciting. For anyone that is just hopping on the, "it's currently popular to dislike the US" train without researching, I encourage you to watch Launch Control and look into what Subaru Motorsport USA/VSC are doing if you haven't already. If you think either of those two things are not very good or are boring then we probably won't see eye-to-eye on the matter.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlatOverCrest said:

I really enjoy the Camaro and Mustang, along with the other Rally GT vehicles. I REALLY like New England as well. I'm not really sure why people are so against having US-based content in future Dirt Rally titles. Rally in America is actually pretty exciting. It may not yet be as well known or popular as it is in other parts of the world but it's good enough for Subaru Motorsports USA to run a full two car program each year and to have a complete Subaru US-based rally video series (Launch Control). The Vermont SportsCar Subaru's they are running in ARA (America Rally Association) are top level vehicles and are quite a bit more capable than even what is represented in Dirt Rally 2.0 with the JRM developed Subaru WRC STI NR4 vehicle. I would absolutely love to see VSC (Vermont SportsCar) vehicles featured in future Dirt Rally titles. The JRM Subarus are fantastic NR4 class vehicles and I am not trying to take away from those. It's just that the VSC Subaru's are OPEN class monsters that I would really love to drive in the next game. The DirtFish Rally School and Team O'Neil Rally School are also both US-based and I think those are rather good. DirtFish is also pretty involved with the WRC at the moment. I'm not saying that I want most locations to be US-based but some of the US rally locations look to be pretty fantastic and I wouldn't mind seeing more of those. I know some people will disagree but for fans of VSC and Launch Control, it seems pretty exciting. For anyone that is just hopping on the, "it's currently popular to dislike the US" train without researching, I encourage you to watch Launch Control and look into what Subaru Motorsport USA/VSC are doing if you haven't already. If you think either of those two things are not very good or are boring then we probably won't see eye-to-eye on the matter.

What bothers me is that it seems like US consumers don't buy anything that doesn't have an American flag on it.

I live in Brazil, one of the largest video game markets in the world (even DR2.0 has brazilian localization and a co-driver with brazilian-portuguese accent), I would love a muddy brazilian rally in DR3, but I don't want it, because I understand that there are more famous rallies in other parts of the world that deserve more to be in the game.

It seems that Americans don't think that way.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

Pound to a penny all rally titles will be obliged to feature Ken Block.

As already said, Ken is tied to Forza. His last severance with CM wasn't especially well handled either, I would be very surprised to see him fronting any more games for them.

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@RGgiac

When I bought Dirt Rally 2.0, I had no idea there was a US location in the game and I would have still purchased it had it not included the American Rally GT cars or New England. I definitely didn't see an American flag on the game case nor did I expect to see one featured in the game. You make a good point with wanting what's best for the next game in an unselfish way. I want the best locations and stages for the next game, no matter where they are located. I get what you are saying and agree with that perspective (and I'm from the US). 

However, I think that many Americans don't know about rally because it's just not as mainstream here as other forms of motorsport. I like that some US based rally content is featured in the game, because maybe it will get more young Americans interested in US rally. One location out of 13 seems like a reasonable amount in each game to me. The US market is certainly not tiny either with a population around 330 million people. 

Microsoft is the most prominent sponsor featured on the current Toyota WRC cars. I think US involvement in rally is a good thing. Look at all of the tech companies that are US based. I think globally, rally could benefit from more US sponsorship and involvement. It's exciting to me to currently have an American driver and co-driver in the WRC as well.

If you are playing Dirt Rally 2.0 on a computer, there's a good chance that a large portion of that technology originated from US based companies (MS Windows, AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Micron, Western Digital, Seagate, Cisco networking equipment, etc.) I have purchased hardware from most of these companies and I don't think any one of them had an american flag slapped on the product or packaging and they are all US-based companies. If you are playing on an Xbox, then there is a lot of American tech in that box. Many people know that most consoles are using an AMD CPU and GPU architecture. I think the only exception is the Nintendo switch which uses an Nvidia Tegra SoC. That means that most people gaming are using US based hardware to run their games.

Surely you still want American brands in the next game like Ford. Opel was even owned by another American company, General Motors from 1929 to 2017. Would you not want those vehicles in the next game because of their American origins/heritage?

I love diversity in gaming. Look at Automobilista (AMS) and Automobilista 2 (AMS2) by Reiza Studios. Those games are fantastic takes on Brazilian Motorsports. I am glad they exist and I think a muddy Brazilian rally could be awesome. I think it's fine and only natural to want content from your home country. I also agree with wanting the best locations and stages that we can get and not just ones that are from our home countries because that's where we live.

 

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tbtstt said:

As already said, Ken is tied to Forza. His last severance with CM wasn't especially well handled either, I would be very surprised to see him fronting any more games for them.

Fair enough then. EA games seem to be style over content to me, with all the typical hype that goes with that.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I had to come here after finding the news.   
 

I have a lot to say, but I will make this post brief.  (EDIT: lol, riiight) 
 

A small company is a hungry company, hungry for people’s approval and satisfaction.  This drives sales (obviously) and hopefully/eventually turn a profit to continue.   If you enjoy what you are doing and pour your heart into it you most likely will succeed, you won’t make billions, maybe not even millions, but you will go home every day satisfied of your work.   
 

Large companies are greedy, and publicly traded companies are worse, they only care about profit margins and satisfying their shareholders - this is why they fire 100s-1000s of employees when already profitable just to meet shareholders projections for higher profits.

 

Dirt Rally was made in time of desperation, and the devs fought to get the game done they put all of their heart into it.  Codemasters at the time was not publicly traded.  Pressure was there, no doubt and they lost a few good people along the way, but we know they left their mark in racing games.


I just cannot see where this is a good outcome for our beloved rally game series.  Try to stay positive, but the marketing machine will gearing up to spin their PR fake love for us like a cheating spouse preparing to leave you.

Edited by gfRally
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...