Jump to content Jump to content

On 1/20/2021 at 11:45 AM, JZStudios said:

Jimmy Broadbent sucks and I personally hate that he's a full grown man literally living in a shed in his parents back yard but has $6000 of sim gear, but he's entertaining. Apparently.

Jimmer's an interesting character. The man-child aspect is part of the appeal and he makes light acknowledgments of it. His random streamed playthroughs are not what he's good at. Where he shines is when he focuses and provides long-form racing commentary. His voice is terrific and ability to maintain the commentary is right up with the old pros. He evokes Murray Walker, who wasn't a real-life race driver either (his motorcycle efforts notwithstanding).

Anyhow, carry on!

15 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Jimmer's an interesting character. The man-child aspect is part of the appeal and he makes light acknowledgments of it. His random streamed playthroughs are not what he's good at. Where he shines is when he focuses and provides long-form racing commentary. His voice is terrific and ability to maintain the commentary is right up with the old pros. He evokes Murray Walker, who wasn't a real-life race driver either (his motorcycle efforts notwithstanding).

Anyhow, carry on!

I don't like his lispy voice either, but he also physically says a lot of memes that annoys me. Never watched him commentate on races. At least with SlapTrain if you think about it like the car version of the typical surfer bum it's not so bad.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, PJTierney said:

Top Gear have a good video on this. It is essentially a "jacked up Porsche" like you said but with Singer's usual high attention to detail and craftsmanship.

I would say it's a bit more than just a jacked up Porsche... The amount of work that has been done is quite a thing, and on a technical level that car looks marvelous. It is true that it's a lot more of a Raid car than a Rally car but then again, Porsche won the Dakar so it's not something completely alien from their background.

That said it still doesn't make any sense to exist, but it's completely mad and I'm glad that it does! 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, somethingthing said:

Why are we never allowed to choose which car to drive whenever theres DLC cars?

I would say because those events are special events, designed to promote these cars... If you want to drive others, than please skip these events and stick to the regular ones... I like the way this is done, because a) it keeps the field levelled (in the sense that everyone drives the same car) and b) it's the way to encourage most of us to drive some fun but slow or sluggish cars that we wouldn't pick, if there were other options.

Edited by Opassac
  • Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
11 hours ago, Opassac said:

I would say because those events are special events, designed to promote these cars...

Correct.

With Bonus Challenges either the car or location is DLC.

• Agree 1

Some of the car sounds in the game come from this garage 😉 

From BGM Sport's site:

Chris Jojo
Senior Sound Designer, Principal Sound Recording Engineer
Codemasters Software Ltd

BGMsport are one of Codemasters most valued partners. Sourcing original ex-works Rally and Motorsport cars for on track sound recording for Codemasters Racing titles can be especially challenging, particularly when under the constraints of a tight development schedule. I’m indebted to Ian Gwynne, for placing his trust in me, in approaching his clients and contacts and facilitating access to record a host of truly iconic original works Group A, B, N and 4 (B) Rally cars for DiRT Rally 2.0, as well as a number of historic GT cars for GRID.

Despite BGMsport’s unremitting workload, Ian Gwynne has always gone out of his way to book the cars for recording within our project milestone scheduling and to take time away from the Workshop to manage and drive at the sessions, some of which have taken place as far afield as the USA.

There are very few Works, Teams or Privateers I’ve dealt with that have exhibited that level of commitment, enthusiasm and support.

It’s no surprise to me why BGMsport are so highly regarded in the Motorsports community and entrusted to prep and maintain so many illustrious original works Rally and Motorsport client cars.

Codemasters have established an award winning reputation for representing authentic in-game engine audio across its Motorsports titles; much of that success can be attributed to partners such as Ian and the BGMsport team, ‘The Car is the Star’ after all.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Opassac said:

I would say because those events are special events, designed to promote these cars... If you want to drive others, than please skip these events and stick to the regular ones... I like the way this is done, because a) it keeps the field levelled (in the sense that everyone drives the same car) and b) it's the way to encourage most of us to drive some fun but slow or sluggish car that we wouldn't pick, if there was other options.

But its ALWAYS the same car when its DLC-classes. They was not all the same car before they started to do it after the McRae DLC got released. And they are still using cars like the citroen/ford/lancia so its not always the slow and sluggish ones.

Edited by somethingthing
7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Some of the car sounds in the game come from this garage 😉 

From BGM Sport's site:

7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Chris Jojo
Senior Sound Designer, Principal Sound Recording Engineer
Codemasters Software Ltd

BGMsport are one of Codemasters most valued partners. Sourcing original ex-works Rally and Motorsport cars for on track sound recording for Codemasters Racing titles can be especially challenging, particularly when under the constraints of a tight development schedule. I’m indebted to Ian Gwynne, for placing his trust in me, in approaching his clients and contacts and facilitating access to record a host of truly iconic original works Group A, B, N and 4 (B) Rally cars for DiRT Rally 2.0, as well as a number of historic GT cars for GRID.

Despite BGMsport’s unremitting workload, Ian Gwynne has always gone out of his way to book the cars for recording within our project milestone scheduling and to take time away from the Workshop to manage and drive at the sessions, some of which have taken place as far afield as the USA.

There are very few Works, Teams or Privateers I’ve dealt with that have exhibited that level of commitment, enthusiasm and support.

It’s no surprise to me why BGMsport are so highly regarded in the Motorsports community and entrusted to prep and maintain so many illustrious original works Rally and Motorsport client cars.

Codemasters have established an award winning reputation for representing authentic in-game engine audio across its Motorsports titles; much of that success can be attributed to partners such as Ian and the BGMsport team, ‘The Car is the Star’ after all.

Thank you Chris Jojo and Ian Gwynne at BGMsport! You guys changed my life and many other by just the sound alone with your games. The first Codemasters game I was fortunate to have a taste of your guys addictive sound work from Race Driver Grid. When dirt Rally released I would personally have to contribute again to the engine sounds being the main reason I keep coming back to your games that other couldn't provide me.  Thank you and much love. ❤️

Edited by Orangetuner
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I finally got to DiRT Rally 2.0 in my coverage of every PC rally game ever on YouTube. Shame the capture wasn't quite as smooth as it was on-screen!

If anyone's really bored, here are my previous Codemasters ones:

And if you've got even more time to kill, here's the full playlist of 147 games (and rising): https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYDobL0b26ugFuXASCIC9qmFb9_k4_fqU

• Like 4
4 hours ago, VirtuaIceMan said:

Sure will look into it tonight, after the joys of home schooling 😄

I forgot to include DiRT Showdown, as did that too, but not got to DiRT 5 yet.

Pretty sure Showdown doesn't have rally. At least, I've beaten the game and I don't remember any.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Pretty sure Showdown doesn't have rally. At least, I've beaten the game and I don't remember any.

It's got rally cars though; my YouTube rally games include rallycross and rally raid, so it semi fits 😄

On 1/25/2021 at 5:58 PM, dgeesi0 said:

i watched a snowy run on this earlier with ogier. :classic_biggrin:

I think I saw that one to. Though that is fish-eye lense. Therefore the sense of speed looks much faster than what it actually is. 

16 hours ago, JorritVD said:

I think I saw that one to. Though that is fish-eye lense. Therefore the sense of speed looks much faster than what it actually is. 

yeah some of it is very slow the way some of the corners are you can imagine you arse tweaking a bit. :classic_biggrin:

On 1/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, Madhun1967 said:

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!! whos coming to Southern Ohio Forest Rally 2021  to see the Subies ? Im there  this June for sure , even if i have to sneak into the forest , LOL.

Well, I plan to be there, but each event locals will decide if its ok for spectators.  I hope by June this 'Rona **** is somewhat cleared up.. I have my doubts, though.. hopeful but reality is sad 

reading some of these posts from January, I'll say the same thing that I have been saying for more than 10 years.  Dirt Rally (not including DiRT# anymore because of the direction it has gone) needs to be able to save the replays.  It seems that the tech is 90% there, but realistically I am sure that last 10 is harder than the 90 that is given, however.  None the less something that is editable, customizable, and flexible enough to make content that is beautiful should be included, much the same way photo mode should be.  

I am biased, I worked on the "Confront the unknown" video that was shared internally at CM a long long time ago.. Had a sequel in the works for a while using only the game, but got frustrated with only limited cameras even with mods.  Personally I think videos can make a impact on the promotion of the game as well, much like is put out by the Publishers.  

I have talked to a few at CM in the past about how much is lost not having any type of custom cameras.  There is so much art/scenery/sound that is lost not having these.  I am sure this can show some warts of the game at times, but those are already done showing some of the crazy unintentional physics the game has from time to time. 

TLDR:

There is a lot to like about DR Titles, but as I have stepped away from it for a while and explored some other simulators with long histories.  I am seeing it more of a game on rails than a flexible simulation.    

• Agree 1
2 hours ago, gfRally said:

Dirt Rally (not including DiRT# anymore because of the direction it has gone) needs to be able to save the replays.

Personally, I'd not only like a replay saver but also the option to control a free-moving camera in replays. That would be good as a content creator for fan-made cinematics and the like 🙂 

Granted, this is just my own opinion and not a statement of intent but I'm all for things that let players create art 😉 

It may be the nostalgia talking, but this was one of my favourite ever features in a videogame: 

• Agree 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip