Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by CMPJTierney

Sometimes, I'm inclined to agree about the need to save replays. However, you can have waaay too many of them. I remember when I came to uninstall Project Cars, I had up to 100gb full of replays that I recorded but never watched again. If there were a limited number of save slots then it could maybe work, you'd be more selective about what you saved then.

Edited by Rogerbee
  • Social Media & Community Team

Indeed, save space and slots are a consideration and a significant challenge.

You wouldn't want your career wiped because of a replay save gone wrong now, would you?

47 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Personally, I'd not only like a replay saver but also the option to control a free-moving camera in replays. That would be good as a content creator for fan-made cinematics and the like 🙂 

Granted, this is just my own opinion and not a statement of intent but I'm all for things that let players create art 😉 

It may be the nostalgia talking, but this was one of my favourite ever features in a videogame: 

Hopefully in Dirt 3.0 or WRC we can have a replay cameras as in Dirt Rally. In VR it was as you were watching in real time

in game not on a replay screen in VR as of Dirt 2.0.

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Indeed, save space and slots are a consideration and a significant challenge.

You wouldn't want your career wiped because of a replay save gone wrong now, would you?

the thing is its not new rbr did this like 15 years ago. just make a seperate player the replay files are tiny or can be made small. many car games actually have this as standard in the game. assetto corsa for eg.

the funny thing is this is exactly what happened to me the other day after installing dirt rally 2.0 again after a while away. game tried to sync with steam decided my save was corrupt save deleted. all settings lost and saves. uninstalled again.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gfRally said:

Well, I plan to be there, but each event locals will decide if its ok for spectators.  I hope by June this 'Rona **** is somewhat cleared up.. I have my doubts, though.. hopeful but reality is sad 

Tucson has an annual gem show every February that's been going on straight since 1955 and it's completely cancelled as far as I'm aware. Wouldn't want people out n about buying stuff. though no one probably has money now anyway.

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Personally, I'd not only like a replay saver but also the option to control a free-moving camera in replays. That would be good as a content creator for fan-made cinematics and the like 🙂 

Granted, this is just my own opinion and not a statement of intent but I'm all for things that let players create art 😉 

The fact that you responded to that with a game on the Ps1 from over 20 years ago that has that feature is pretty great. I'm certainly no game maker, but it's pretty ludicrous that they could do that in every game since the PS1 and CM hasn't ever done it.

• Agree 1

Different game engines, tech inflation, priorities etc. 

Game development is a massive beast now compared to way back then and what works for one game doesn't always work for another.

The last game I remember with a custom replay tool was The Crew 2.

In other news @ChrisGrovesMCM dropped a banger of a tweet 😄 

many modern car games do. its often just a case of the developers or the company involved just dont see it as a worth while addition.

similar with cinematic camera . best way of getting a game noticed . social media. costs nothing. excuses after excuses of why it cant be added to dirt. one guy made one in a weekend.

its often just down to if its profitable to do so. funny thing is they added pic mode to dirt 5 after wards. 😂

rbr is a old game but its still there and codemasters isnt a small studio or group. saved replays would be a great addition hopefully its added at some point. possibly by 2050 :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

We need a gritty, down-low, hand-held trackside replay camera set, with pans and zooms like RBR.

Not an airy-fairy too-smooth floating drone style replay cam.

The latter is weak and lacks the immersion that a game with Dirt in the title warrants.

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

We need a gritty, down-low, hand-held trackside replay camera set, with pans and zooms like RBR.

Not an airy-fairy too-smooth floating drone style replay cam.

The latter is weak and lacks the immersion that a game with Dirt in the title warrants.

Yeah, Replays in RBR are just 100% accurate. This is true immersion there.

• Like 1
  • Codemasters Staff
On 2/1/2021 at 12:25 PM, gfRally said:

It seems that the tech is 90% there, but realistically I am sure that last 10 is harder than the 90 that is given, however. 

Can confirm, the last bit is rather hard.  There was a previous game that had a lot of work trying to get it to work and be first party compliant, but there were problems finishing it.  It was intense and hard to get working right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, CMMcBabe said:

Can confirm, the last bit is rather hard.  There was a previous game that had a lot of work trying to get it to work and be first party compliant, but there were problems finishing it.  It was intense and hard to get working right.

And just like most of my posts, I try to be 90% encouraging to the devs, but sometimes there is 10 percent complaining/frustration that slips through, lol.  

Image result for press on regardless

@CMMcBabe Just like real rally... pushing through that last 10 could be the most satisfying.  🙂

I think many see RBR for its no-nonsense rally play..  Not that anything would be taken away from some polishing but after playing it for some time and going back to DR, I do see quite a bit of difference in physics.  There is a reason that some top rally drivers prefer it, the car control is very predictable.  Some say its unforgiving, No... if you drive like you do in DR and seeking that top spot on the charts, yes!  In reality driving like that is not real, you would never drive like that in a real rally and RBR doesn't let you drive like that.  Codemasters own Colin McCrae Dirt (Dirt 1) had a quote from the codriver at the beginning on some stages:  Slow and steady wins the race.."   Yes that goes against Colin's "If in doubt, flat out" philosophy that we all love, but he didn't do that until he was more experienced, otherwise he would have never made it to the top.

I guess I am getting older and I am not your target market where instant gratification is the more important than honing your skills.  Fatherhood changes  your perspective at times, teaching someone how to do something and seeing the fruits of that work is most satisfying.  Hoping that those patience and thinking ability's are passed on is gold.  So seeing a rally simulator as a teaching tool and you progress to be a better driver.  However part of that teaching is discipline and consequences for bad actions, I hope that the next title could return to that "Dark Souls of Racing" only better.  (and with replay saving :classic_biggrin: )

Edited by gfRally
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

I see on the dutch Motorsport.com that the Codemasters shareholders agreed with the EA takeover.

https://nl.motorsport.com/esports/news/overname-codemasters-door-electronic-arts-goedkeuring-aandeelhouders/5340169/

Yeah that did the rounds yesterday on a few news sites.

We've got nothing to say on the matter yet of course but for now I'll point people to @cmRossGowing's comment from before Christmas, which is pinned at the top 🙂 

• Thanks 3
47 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

'Scary as Hell' was the Blair Witch Project tagline

so maybe we will get an update of Screamer Rally where you play a girl running around in circles in a forest screaming a lot

I hope so!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Signing a deal with EA is like making a deal with the devil. The laundry list of companies they've taken to the cleaners is extensive and in a few cases even shuttered some companies outside EA. I'm going to be optimistic and give CM 2 or 3 games under hellish conditions before EA shutters them or folds them in with the crippled Criterion to work on Need for Speed.

EA's website claims 20 studios under it's belt, at least 8 of them are mobile devs or part time support, the rest are questionable as to what they actually do outside the few known names. They've shuttered at least 14 studios.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
47 minutes ago, htjnthnghnghngh said:

hi , could you please tell me , when I buy the new location ,
will I be able to play there in OPEN category , like Australia, Poland etc. ?

Or more general = in what consist in buying another locations ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ws-finland-rally-location/9pb222qpq574?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

If you buy a location, it works exactly the same as other locations.

Instead of buying standalone locations, I would advise to buy the Year One pass. That will include all extra locations and all extra cars. it's much cheaper than buy every single locations.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-store-dirt-rally-20-year-one-pass/9njhn4qb9mdq
A second advice on this, wait till there is a discount week or something and grab it with 50% discount 🙂 

24 minutes ago, htjnthnghnghngh said:

I have bought one new location experimentally.
But tell me please, how to add this to my game ?
I am new in DIRT 2.0
I am using Xbox

Xbox, good choice 🙂 

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/games-apps/my-games-apps/view-downloadable-content

For game add-ons and other DLC, the first place to check is in your games and apps. In your games list, focus on a game, press the Menu button  on your controller, select Manage game and add-ons, select the game box in the upper right corner of the screen, then choose Manage installation on [drive name]. This will show a list of items including the base game and any available add-ons or game features. Select the checkbox for each item you want to install (or untick to uninstall), and then select Save changes.