Jump to content Jump to content

11 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

MGS, right from its earliest incarnations, never appealed to me for some reason, I got it when it was on sale and I saw someone a lot better than me play it. That's the thing with playthroughs, it's always someone better than you are playing it. When you try you find you're hopeless! For some reason, I didn't totally suck at Colin McRae rally games, so when DR 2.0 came along it took me right back to those glory days, particularly when you finally got Colin's Scooby.

MGS really shines when you mess around with it's mechanics. I mean, you can make your horse poop on command on the road to skid out the jeep passing by.

You must've been really bad at it, and probably games in general if it gave you that much trouble. MGS is pretty forgiving to mistakes. Especially 5. Pretty much every playthrough of any game I've seen outside speed runners have been pretty terrible.

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The controls and mechanics of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain are so solid they're the high benchmark of any open-world game I consider playing now.

Fun fact: I worked at Konami during the years of that game's release, even have a full-size replica arm on my desk as I type this.

I also wrote my University Thesis on the metanarrative of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 🙂 

The controls were A+, but I think the mechanics, while being far ahead of most other games in general, was still lacking compared to MGS3. I wanted to find enemy supply depots to run them out of food or ammo, I wanted to be able to hunt and subsist off the land. I wanted to be able to legitimately beat a boss by throwing him poison dart frogs to eat, or getting an early chance to snipe him.

Hell, for that matter I was disappointed that there wasn't any point to catching animals and most of them didn't even have models.

What a perk. Maybe with the next game release you'll get a Subaru. Too bad Pork isn't around anymore, he used to do some really cool models and send them in as gifts.

4 hours ago, richie said:

As it was the first MGS I played I had no comparison. I think I just didn't expect the game to have such an effect on me. During the opening scene at the hospital I was thinking 'ok, this is strange, I give this game half an hour max to get interesting'. I had no idea what the man on fire and the floating muppet would be, I kept playing and then Quiet appeared. I didn't kill her at the ruins and it turned out she was a fascinating character. During the whole game I was wondering what she was humming all the time. The story was like a crescendo that culminated in that song. I was confused, and dead :classic_laugh: Later I found out Quiet was inspired by a real person, Stefanie Joosten. She's incredible. Probably the sweetest thing you'll find in a video game. That wasn't the last MGS I played for sure. 

Eh. The MGS stories have always been a convoluted mess. I guess at least MGSV was shorter and didn't have literally hour long cutscenes. I just wish MGSV answered literally any of it's own questions it raises.

• Like 1

Prodrive have done some massive bad publicity for themselves here in France. The French have literally zero support for them since the "Loeb - Elena" split.

Studio is called Bigmoon Entertainment but they have been bought by Saber Interactive after Dakar '18 which is a fantastic and unique title (driving physics aside).

Edited by P308R
11 minutes ago, P308R said:

Prodrive have done some massive bad publicity for themselves here in France. The French have literally zero support for them since the "Loeb - Elena" split.

Yeah, that really hasn't been a good bit of publicity for them.

There I was, all ready for the off, and I spotted a familiar face in the crowd, none other than Susan Kennedy from Neighbours! Not actually as far fetched as you might think as Jackie Woodburne is actually Scottish. Are the developers fans of hers!? Go Mrs K!

Susan Kennedy.JPG

I once again checked tarmac physics. Therefore i used the two following clips:

Loeb real vs DR2 ingame
https://youtu.be/rwv0jSrJBsY?t=67
- One thing is very noticable (as speed is slowed down to be similar to real life footage). There is a strange input lag. The player turns the wheel already, so that is no input lag, but the car doesn't correspond with the steering input directly. It takes "half a second" (feeling) before the car actually starts to turn in. 

Sainz real with steering input
https://youtu.be/O6RUXJx2q28
- A cool thing to notice in this real life footage is how direct the car reacts to input of the steering of the driver.
- A other thing what is noticable, is that in the DR2 footage, the car floats in a straight. Meaning there is steering input, but basically nothing happening. Well, more the feeling is that the car is steering with its back tyres like a forktruck on a straight. The real life footage shows how planted the car is in a straight and there is basically no input, while the ingame footage shows a constant input of corrections. 

Edited by JorritVD
  • Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
13 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

There I was, all ready for the off, and I spotted a familiar face in the crowd, none other than Susan Kennedy from Neighbours! Not actually as far fetched as you might think as Jackie Woodburne is actually Scottish. Are the developers fans of hers!? Go Mrs K!

Susan Kennedy.JPG

I'm sure most of the crowd models you see in-game are a mix of Codemasters staff past and present.

I like to play a game of "spot the Paul Coleman" on the start line sometimes 😄 

• Agree 1
21 hours ago, JorritVD said:

I once again checked tarmac physics. Therefore i used the two following clips:

Loeb real vs DR2 ingame
https://youtu.be/rwv0jSrJBsY?t=67
- One thing is very noticable (as speed is slowed down to be similar to real life footage). There is a strange input lag. The player turns the wheel already, so that is no input lag, but the car doesn't correspond with the steering input directly. It takes "half a second" (feeling) before the car actually starts to turn in. 

Sainz real with steering input
https://youtu.be/O6RUXJx2q28
- A cool thing to notice in this real life footage is how direct the car reacts to input of the steering of the driver.
- A other thing what is noticable, is that in the DR2 footage, the car floats in a straight. Meaning there is steering input, but basically nothing happening. Well, more the feeling is that the car is steering with its back tyres like a forktruck on a straight. The real life footage shows how planted the car is in a straight and there is basically no input, while the ingame footage shows a constant input of corrections. 

Yeah this has been covered/discussed many times.

When jumping games this is extremely obvious. Even the WRC games feels more connected and direct on tarmac. You also instantly feel the difference that the cars stay "straight" when they should, alas the rear end is following the track of the front properly while in DR2 the cars rotate like crabs.

• Agree 1
On 3/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, Julo264 said:

Well Bigmoon Studios are preparing the DAKAR 21 game so I suppose it’s safe to assume that’s them

Didn't know they were making a sequel, but I'm glad they are. Hopefully they'll have better physics and wheel support this time as that was a major detriment.

Having been a diehard PlayStation user for many years and loving the Dualshock pads, I was quite shocked to discover just how good the XBox One pad is. I bought one when a game I liked came from a host that didn't support PS contollers. However, as soon as the game came out on Steam, the XBox One pad became redundant, or so I thought.

My DS4 is wearing out, so, I decided to try Dirt Rally 2.0 with the XBox One pad, and, it felt REALLY good!! The steering and braking felt more precise and the feedback through the pad felt better. I actually felt much more confident on the Scottish stages than I'd ever previously felt. For Dirt Rally anyway, this pad rules! I only wish I hadn't found this out after I'd already ordered 2 new DS4's! I bought 2 because the first seller messed me about and I wasn't sure if he was going to fulfill the order, turns out he did. I'm not going to cancel just in case one turns out to be duff. Thing is though, neither of them may see much use now, just have to see how it goes....

Edited by Rogerbee
  • Social Media & Community Team
3 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

Having been a diehard PlayStation user for many years and loving the Dualshock pads, I was quite shocked to discover just how good the XBox One pad is.

The Xbox controller is one of the main reasons I've been telling racing fans to go to Xbox instead of PlayStation for the past decade, it's that good

• Like 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRTy Gossip
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The Xbox controller is one of the main reasons I've been telling racing fans to go to Xbox instead of PlayStation for the past decade, it's that good

BC and the Controller are the main reasons why I am an xbox player, despite I'm not a fan of Microsoft and there current "Everything has to be a service now!"-strategy.

What about the new DualSense controller? Is it really that good?

I'm thinking of buying a console when DiRT Rally 3 comes out, and since I won't buy a wheel, one of the reasons why I consider buying a PS5 over an XBSX is the new controller's haptic feedback. I wonder how well this technology will be implemented in DiRT Rally 3.

7 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

My DS4 is wearing out, so, I decided to try Dirt Rally 2.0 with the XBox One pad, and, it felt REALLY good!!

It's definitely better feeling in hand. I'm just glad they changed it from the past design which was total ****. The new DS5 is pretty much the same as the Xbox controller now. Me and my buddy put thousands of hours into the PS4 because that's what he happened to buy BF4 on, so we were very familiar with the controller, but every time we played Forza we both agreed the Xbox controller was better.

He also tore through his DS4's joystick because of how much we played BF4, and he had been crimping the thumbstick down with full pressure for months before I told him he only had to click it. He legit had hand cramps for months.

12 minutes ago, RGgiac said:

What about the new DualSense controller? Is it really that good?

I'm thinking of buying a console when DiRT Rally 3 comes out, and since I won't buy a wheel, one of the reasons why I consider buying a PS5 over an XBSX is the new controller's haptic feedback. I wonder how well this technology will be implemented in DiRT Rally 3.

Not really, no. In hand it feels the same as the Xbox controller, more or less, minus thumbstick position.

The haptic feedback is just a transducer, which is basically just a speaker without a cone. Think a bit more subtle and refined standard vibration. It's neat, and just as responsive as sound, but... you could easily live without it. Thought the same with the triggers. COD Cold War uses the dynamic triggers or whatever they call it, but either COD has a really basic implementation, or it's kind of limited. Every gun in COD felt the same, there's a buildup of tension, they all break at the same point (about 50%), and then it's limp, but rapid fire can bump the trigger.

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, there's now also the Series X controller to consider. They do one with a PC dongle just like they did the One. What does it offer that the One didn't!? I can see a snazzier d-pad and an extra option/start button, could be worth a look. Depends on whether Steam supports it I guess, I don't doubt they will soon if they don't already. We will see......

Edited by Rogerbee
1 hour ago, Rogerbee said:

Interestingly, there's now also the Series X controller to consider. They do one with a PC dongle just like they did the One. What does it offer that the One didn't!? I can see a snazzier d-pad and an extra option/start button, could be worth a look. Depends on whether Steam supports it I guess, I don't doubt they will soon if they don't already. We will see......

Pretty sure that's all. MS says the old controllers will work on the new console. The new controller I'm pretty sure is just another slight update.

Ohhh WOW!

Colin's Subaru in his natural habitat (Scotland) feels amazing! The car feels so planted, congrats to the team for putting this combo together. It's going to take some beating!

Edited by Rogerbee
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1