Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney

• Social Media & Community Team
3 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Sssshhhhhht, be cool, be cool! @PJTierney is coming!

I think we're generally okay with the "free camera" mod, infact I was thinking of using it myself for my own channel 😄 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Thanks man! I instantly knew that I'd use that picture of an inch perfect line as a thumbnail.

I really did get that close without touching the thing. I was proud of that!

Same with the left-hander during my pass through the fast right-left combo at 4:45 in the video. Didn't touch the wall there either! It was close though. 

No description available.No description available.

Reminds me of an awesome flyby of Neuville a few years ago during Rally Catalunya. Truly on the limit, or maybe a bit further but he kept it together beautifully 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I can pause the replay and enable a free camera to take such shots

Sssshhhhhht, be cool, be cool! @PJTierney is coming!

giphy.gif 

i know i used the camera tool i asked for it for about.........10 years. said it couldnt be done and a guy did it in a weekend. :classic_biggrin: camera tools are gaining ground and its great to see companies are finally realizing how important they are. just a little too late for me sadly. nice to see though. funny even the community managers of the games that couldnt do it use em for social media lol.

• Agree 1
7 hours ago, carpa said:

Reminds me of an awesome flyby of Neuville a few years ago during Rally Catalunya. Truly on the limit, or maybe a bit further but he kept it together beautifully 

the funny thing is this is totally the wrong line for that corner...:classic_biggrin:

12 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

i know i used the camera tool i asked for it for about.........10 years. said it couldnt be done and a guy did it in a weekend. :classic_biggrin: camera tools are gaining ground and its great to see companies are finally realizing how important they are. just a little too late for me sadly. nice to see though. funny even the community managers of the games that couldnt do it use em for social media lol.

The Forza Horizon 4 developers go over it a bit with their Super7 launch.

It's not that adding a free camera isn't technically possible (we all know it's doable as the mod exists) but rather that giving players free reign of the camera can expose certain things that developers feel uncomfortable in letting players see, such as texture loadings, LOD pop-ins etc.

Those of us that know how games run may be fine with this but depending on who is using the tool there may be the perception that things are "broken" which hurts the image of the game in their eyes.

That's usually the main reason for boundaries, another being framerate targets, RAM capacity, development resource to implement a more elegant system (which involves multiple teams including Art, UI, QA, Localisation etc.) and the inability to test for the near infinite number of edge-cases a free camera can open a game up to.

Every game and game engine is different in this regard and what works for one doesn't work for all.

41:00 in.

• Like 4

tbh i understand but its how you manage it. so they think that majority of people using cinema cameras are going to show bugs issues. when in reality they dont. they mainly make better screenshots and movies from them. the funny thing is EA and battlefield is a prime eg. maybe now codies is owned by them we will see a big change. i hope so. battlefield for eg and its a massive game has basically from a video screenshot perspective become even bigger based on the cinema camera working. literally most of the biggest pictures and videos have been made by them. its just a case of how its managed.

most often its just cause developers just cant be bothered to make the tool....or more importantly cant EARN anything from doing it. so the old it may expose things we dont like is touted. when its already shown in battlefield how big it is across the whole platform. dirt rally could be shown far better in replays and movies with the use of one. what realistically are people going to show ? great screenshots and better movies. you already have the mod and as shown above great screenshot. who uses the tool mod to show whats described as a reason for not making it ? no one.

maybe things will change i do hope so. many games are actually embracing cinematic cameras now. which is a great thing.

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The Forza Horizon 4

On that topic, since I recently "upgraded" to Win10 I tried out the FH4 demo all day yesterday. It runs shockingly well, I can even run it in triple screens at 30fps on my old GPU.

veXJf53Ppp.thumb.jpg.198831aa21960fa72f8eaac459890978.jpg

E2FghaEumE.thumb.jpg.65d98c81348406c699847c4e7e82e8db.jpg

sXyFEUJqdF.thumb.jpg.f0a48d3a383618debbdeea627e4a88f3.jpg

TrdWtAeouJ.thumb.jpg.755629a16f88331a73c9195f3bd287e1.jpg

FoWg3Y87hH.thumb.jpg.bba1b741523a1c0d53eed792f438d3d2.jpg

Still not really sold on the map, I don't think it's all that interesting, and I now know why everyone complains about the wheel settings. I had to look up wheel settings and Fanatec put out suggested settings I had to try and adapt to my outdated wheel, but it runs in complete antithesis to every other game I've ever used with my wheel that all work with a single profile. Except Enthusia on PS2, which just needed some center force and a lower DOR. I have no idea why they think it's a good setup to have the wheel lose any and all feeling going above 60. It's hard to drive in a straight line.

Although one thing I did notice, and I don't know if it's "new" to Horizon 4, but I've never noticed it elsewhere, the fields of flowers have a normal ground texture close up, but as you move away the flowers obviously despawn. Most games leave it at that, so a brown field suddenly fills with yellow flowers as you get closer, but Horizon does a texture swap on a fade so it turns into a yellow ground texture which really helps hide the LOD. Pretty slick.

Edited by JZStudios

Road to World Record - DiRT Rally 2.0 is out! 

It's not just bonnet cam and TV replay footage of the WR run but it's the whole story of how I smashed the world record on the Salida desde Montverd stage in Spain.

And I even managed to get Phil Mills to do some voice work for it...  (Well, not really but you'll find out what I mean. 🤣 )

I hope you'll like it.

• Like 3
On 4/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Road to World Record - DiRT Rally 2.0 is out! 

It's not just bonnet cam and TV replay footage of the WR run but it's the whole story of how I smashed the world record on the Salida desde Montverd stage in Spain.

And I even managed to get Phil Mills to do some voice work for it...  (Well, not really but you'll find out what I mean. 🤣 )

I hope you'll like it.

Great run! So, it's C4 dominance again, with a Skoda in P15 and P18, some Focus '07 in the mix and a very lonely Focus '01, all within roughly 5 secs. I wonder if it'd be possible to place one of these cars on the top of the leaderboard or is the C4 just that much superior? 

Btw, I tried one of Technical's setups yesterday for the first time (Group B Porsche) and - at least that particular one - it's not for me I must say. Suspension is way too stiff in my view, but his setup showed me that my approach for dampers was wrong. When I was setting up my cars for Finland e.g. I was using softer bump for softer landing and stiffer rebound to keep the wheels on the ground after landing. He does the opposite. I tried it the other way around and it worked much better. Obviously we're talking about fast bump and fast rebound, they're a bit different than bump and rebound. 

I remember a 'tuner discussion' here on the forum between him and Skyrex around that exact question and that they disagreed on how to tune in those situations. 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 2
20 minutes ago, richie said:

I was using softer bump for softer landing and stiffer rebound to keep the wheels on the ground after landing.

Back when I tuned setups in DR1 this was always my go-to for Finland to help "eat" the impact of those big jumps. Basically let the suspension compress and stay compressed after landing so you don't bounce up like a pogo stick.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, richie said:

Great run! So, it's C4 dominance again, with a Skoda in P15 and P18, some Focus '07 in the mix and very lonely Focus '01, all within roughly 5 secs. I wonder if it'd be possible to place one of these cars on the top of the leaderboard or is the C4 just that much superior? 

I might try it with another car from the 2000's class but I'll have to create a story line so it'll work.
Something along the lines of the team boss being angry because I totalled the car on a test run...
And in order to still be able to have a go at the world record, I ask Colin McRae if I can borrow his Fabia.

That doesn't sound so bad, does it? 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

Back when I tuned setups in DR1 this was always my go-to for Finland to help "eat" the impact of those big jumps. Basically let the suspension compress and stay compressed after landing so you don't bounce up like a pogo stick.

Yeah, that's basically the goal, maximize the time the wheels have contact with the ground, but I figure that applies to bump and rebound. The Porsche SC/RS only has fast bump and fast rebound as options, which obviously are different. 

I just thought of something else I'd like to see in the next Dirt Rally title.

What do you think of having the option to drive from the entrance of the service park to your tent and park the car on the blocks?
And then also being able to drive out of the service park.

What about being able to drive on the podium?

And finally, driving from stage to stage on the public roads would be awesome as well!
You know, something along the lines of driving on the public roads like you do in Euro or American Truck Simulator.

That last one might be a bit of a stretch but the first two shouldn't be too hard to implement, right? 

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

What do you think of having the option to drive from the entrance of the service park to your tent and park the car on the blocks?

And finally, driving from stage to stage on the public roads would be awesome as well!
You know, something along the lines of driving on the public roads like you do in Euro or American Truck Simulator.

That last one might be a bit of a stretch but the first two shouldn't be too hard to implement, right? 

So much this!

This idea has been around my head for quite a long time, like the whole idea. Even having to take into account the hours of the time controls. Yeah, I know, too much asking probably but still... (well, we have online rallys on that other sim, and we can have things like these, so it is a fix).

• Like 1
15 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Stuff like this is why I'd like to see rally sims utilise an open world setting. One huge static map, with millions of possible routes and layouts, and road sections between stages.

The liveries were simply lying around and since we were updating to fix Logitech issues we chucked them in 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, MauriceMiller said:

Looking forward to the Logitech fixes. Thanks. 

Looking forward for DR3 😄 ... it's about time, PJ and CM staff start giving hints and small hidden between the lines info about it, so we can all make "dirty gossips" thread great again 😄😉 

9 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

Stuff like this is why I'd like to see rally sims utilise an open world setting. One huge static map, with millions of possible routes and layouts, and road sections between stages.

Dakar I guess. Think it's harder to make an open world game instead of just stages though.

8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Yo dawg, I heard you like Patch Notes.

There's a new VW logo?

Upon having looked it up;

1. Minimalist logo designs need to die
  2. The only real difference is the W no longer touches the ring because...?
  3. Why was the old apparently somehow so complicated?
  4. What was wrong with the old one?

Further thought, I really need to get into this corporate logo business. $1m to do the same thing but making the W not touch the ring must be a pretty sweet gig. Like, how hard is it to take an actual logo with thought and design and instead just use text for an easy million?

Edited by JZStudios