Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

Just now, F2CMaDMaXX said:

No, i mean that if the old one wasn't correct, licensing would be the most likely reason they changed it.

I meant why did VW change it? Most people aren't even going to notice it's different.

Just now, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Hahaha - welcome to big business.

I just don't understand it. They're spending millions of dollars to either get the exact same logo or just some text. Somewhere out there is a picture of a bunch of large company company rebrandings and they all went from actual logo designs to some text.

• Social Media & Community Team
48 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

There's a new VW logo?

It's been in the game for over a year 😄 

Solberg Livery Challenges – Coming to DiRT Rally 2.0 this January |  Codemasters Blog

48 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

$1m to do the same thing but making the W not touch the ring must be a pretty sweet gig. Like, how hard is it to take an actual logo with thought and design and instead just use text for an easy million?

I guarantee a corporate rebrand like this took several months of work, iteration and decision-making to achieve that end result.

While the logo gets the attention there's the thousands of assets across many different media that are redone as well, same as with any brand, and the logo as the figurehead needs to be compatible with all of them.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I guarantee a corporate rebrand like this took several months, iteration and decision-making to achieve that end result.

While the logo gets the attention there's the thousands of assets across many different media that are redone as well, same as with any brand.

Oh I guarantee it did. And the end result is exactly the same thing they've had since at least the 60's. It reads more like these guys were sitting in a room thinking "How do we get paid to make the exact same logo they've had for 60 years?" and then some other guy is like "Well it has to be different somehow right?" Then after months of thinking someone just says "...what if we made the W not touch the ring?"

Champagne corks popping they all celebrated their freshly minted million dollar checks.

"That was a close one Steve, wasn't sure we were going to pull through.

Volkswagen-Logo-history.jpg.d08d10e533492666609f1b11fe0b0039.jpg

And that's being generous. The 1948 logo is almost identical to the 2019 black and white one. Prior to that the ring was a gear.

Edited by JZStudios
On 4/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, UP100 said:

Thanks @tbtstt. A bot was actually able to sneak into an actually used forum for once. They usually just bother me on General Discussion and Off-Topic 😛 

No worries @UP100, I did a double take when I read the post: might suggest that I have spent too much time here when I recognised the wording of a post from almost seven years ago...

Edited by tbtstt
  • Haha 1

Man, I was 0.2 seconds off a new world record when the patch hit.

I suddenly couldn't access the leaderboards anymore and my times would probably not register anymore... Bye bye rhythm and focus

Btw the VW logo swap must be quite extensive and the liveries extremely detailed because the patch is 14.7 GB... That's an hour or so for me before it is downloaded and installed.

Guess I'll start from scratch and start building up my speed again in an hour.

8 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Btw the VW logo swap must be quite extensive and the liveries extremely detailed because the patch is 14.7 GB... That's an hour or so for me before it is downloaded and installed.

*****. Glad I uninstalled it like a year ago.

Seriously, why is the Lord's name in vain?

Edited by JZStudios
On 4/7/2021 at 2:45 PM, JZStudios said:

Oh I guarantee it did. And the end result is exactly the same thing they've had since at least the 60's. It reads more like these guys were sitting in a room thinking "How do we get paid to make the exact same logo they've had for 60 years?" and then some other guy is like "Well it has to be different somehow right?" Then after months of thinking someone just says "...what if we made the W not touch the ring?"

Champagne corks popping they all celebrated their freshly minted million dollar checks.

"That was a close one Steve, wasn't sure we were going to pull through.

Volkswagen-Logo-history.jpg.d08d10e533492666609f1b11fe0b0039.jpg

And that's being generous. The 1948 logo is almost identical to the 2019 black and white one. Prior to that the ring was a gear.

And it looks to me like the next iteration of their logo will just be to flatten off the bottom points of the 'W' so it's done the same as the bottom point of the 'V'. Right now they're not even consistent styles between the 2 letters and I think it looks worse than before. But, that's a problem for 50 years from now. These guys already got paid, time for them to relax.

Reminds of the Gemeente Amsterdam (municipality) new logo, that were 100.000 euro design costs for basically pressing the ENTER button.

Nieuwe-logo-Amsterdam_0.jpg?itok=xXA70LXP&width=1024&height=576&impolicy=semi_dynamic

But also a new goverment logo here costed 15 million euro...
I can understand it brings some costs to change all papers, websites, designing, etc, but 15 million... 
Btw, original costs were anticipated on 60.000 euro. Just a little bit of difference 😄 

Sometimes you need to do a lot of research to realise that the idea you already came up with was the best one 😄 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1
On 4/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, usefulidiot21 said:

And it looks to me like the next iteration of their logo will just be to flatten off the bottom points of the 'W' so it's done the same as the bottom point of the 'V'. Right now they're not even consistent styles between the 2 letters and I think it looks worse than before. But, that's a problem for 50 years from now. These guys already got paid, time for them to relax.

I think the outside ring is too thin. The letters being thicker than the ring makes it look really unbalanced.

16 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Reminds of the Gemeente Amsterdam (municipality) new logo, that were 100.000 euro design costs for basically pressing the ENTER button.

Nieuwe-logo-Amsterdam_0.jpg?itok=xXA70LXP&width=1024&height=576&impolicy=semi_dynamic

But also a new goverment logo here costed 15 million euro...
I can understand it brings some costs to change all papers, websites, designing, etc, but 15 million... 
Btw, original costs were anticipated on 60.000 euro. Just a little bit of difference 😄 

Typical government work.

New motto: “Keep moving, people, nothing to see here …” Diplopundit

15 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Sometimes you need to do a lot of research to realise that the idea you already came up with was the best one 😄 

What's great about that is my city was looking to revitalize downtown, so they paid some guy like a million dollars to go to the neighboring cities downtown area and "research" why it was doing so well. After a year they implemented changes here that had already failed there and then decided they needed another year of research and another million dollars.

Why do people keeping voting for this ****?

Popped in for my 6month checkup..  wishing everyone well.  Glad to see the same faces here!  Hoping to go to a rally or 1 this year, stuff is SLOWLY (that's good) opening up here in the US so maybe I will bump into @Mike Dee in the woods of SOFR in a few weeks.  

I am over amusing myself with the next Dirt title predictions.  The window has past in really caring anymore.  I am at the stage in my life to realize that 1 or a few voices do not add up to corporate sales metrics and making wish lists, begging for features, etc just doesn't matter.  I am no longer of the group they are trying to sell a game to.   So I will probably purchase the next game play it a bit, and have the small satisfaction that I added .001% job security for PJ and some old friends there at Codemasters.

Who knows, maybe my son will have an account here soon and feel at home as a 2nd generation gossiper, but you guys may need to think about adding trains to rally since that's what he is all about, right now, lol.

Be back in 6.. 🙂

Edited by gfRally
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 4/2/2021 at 1:06 AM, AyrtJ97 said:

Don't think so. It's an ARA event so I don't think that rule applies here (in fact, ARA has a partnership with Cooper and Hoosier tires, so I don't think they are enforcing competitors to use Pirelli)

Yeah, my bad.
For some reason I thought he would race in WRC2.

I forgot there are more rally events outside from WRC/WRC2.
I'm not super familiar yet with that sport 😅

I'm not aware of any predictions regarding the next DiRT Rally. I'm not on Discord, so I might have missed some action there maybe. I have no idea what the 'voice on the street' says, and quite frankly, I couldn't care less. I guess many people are concerned because of the EA deal. Maybe that's the source of some pessimism. I think if you're a rally fan and have a passion for motorsport, why wouldn't you be the kind of person Codies would want to sell their game to? Let's not forget that they clearly created two different DiRT branches, a more pick-up-and-play style of game and the more serious rally game. I think that's promising news. 

22 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'm confused, we weren't planning on announcing a game today 🤔

image.png

And Xbox:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I'm confused, we weren't planning on announcing a game today 🤔

image.png

Not today you say...

If there ever is a time for an announcement or something, it would be in the very near future.

I'm honestly very anxious to know what's going to come... I really really want to know if I should get my hopes up or not.

Bloody shrodinger's cat situation.