Jump to content Jump to content

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, kellemann said:

If anybody wants to up there game before Dirt Rally 3 comes out, there is a kickstarter for a "resonable" motion rig going on now:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/346206518/yaw2-motion-simulator-and-smart-chair?fbclid=IwAR1NkUIaXzXHddWzHOERgbd7NOu0SKw--Ur3YotBS6FUBwvRbYbDgBwjA2w

I went into this thinking "ok what cheap kickstarter motion setup is someone trying to sell now..." but they even have a video of them doing DR2 Rally. The real question is the longevity of those motors. And I doubt it could support a Simucube :classic_laugh:

Looks interesting though, and really makes me excited that "affordable" motion could be possible in the future.

Edited by StockTunesOnly
  • Social Media & Community Team

I fear what happens when somebody has the 360 swivel option turned on and all those cables tied to a rig 😮 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I fear what happens when somebody has the 360 swivel option turned on and all those cables tied to a rig 😮 

Well they shouldn't be running them on the ground like that in the first place imo. Run along the ceiling and drop down to the center like you would for a VR experience. Doesn't completely fix the cable issue but drastically reduces it.

But seriously, Logitech or someone needs to get into the wireless data transmission game so we can run a single power cable to our rig, but not deal with 10 extra cables running to the PC. Some people want flying cars in the future. I just want to get rid of my rat nest of cables 😭

Edited by StockTunesOnly
Just now, StockTunesOnly said:

Well they shouldn't be running them on the ground like that in the first place imo. Run along the ceiling and drop down to the center like you would for a VR experience. Doesn't completely fix the cable issue but drastically reduces it.

But seroiusly, Logitech or someone needs to get into the wireless data transmission game so we can run a single power cable to our rig, but not deal with 10 extra cables running to the PC.

I'd like everything to be wireless, capture cards, wheels, pedals, microphones etc.

Not having 3-4 tripods surrounding me on a stream would be ideal 😄 

• Like 1
On 5/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, BotaCalor said:

That's interesting news - Eurosport did such a great job in the IRC years, including showing every stage of Monte Carlo live, but they've really abandoned it in recent years, putting next to no coverage together and really strangling the series, with WRC2 picking up a lot of drivers who would have been possible entrants (despite the complete lack of attention WRC2/3 gets from WRC Promoter, frustratingly).

• Agree 2

Seen on a Facebook page that dirt 3 will have rally Ypres with 20/30km stages and spa wrx also more common requested cars also, anyone know if there's any truth in this?says he's a source.

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, Chewy21398 said:

Seen on a Facebook page that dirt 3 will have rally Ypres with 20/30km stages and spa wrx also more common requested cars also, anyone know if there's any truth in this?says he's a source.

Link to the group or post? 

3 hours ago, Chewy21398 said:

The groups wrc gamers club, sorry for the hype 🤐

I know the guy, Timothy, who posted it... He's actually a really good friend of mine.

He was a bit too trigger happy as it were. Still, I'd love to see Ypres in the game. 😅

7 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I know the guy, Timothy, who posted it... He's actually a really good friend of mine.

He was a bit too trigger happy as it were. Still, I'd love to see Ypres in the game. 😅

Maybe he just confused with WRC 10 🙂

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sqdstr012 said:

Maybe he just confused with WRC 10 🙂

Could be... I didn't see the original post but I have seen photos, taken by another mate, of game developers on the roads which are part of the stages of the Ypres Rally. They were recording footage to recreate it for a game and I expect it to be the guys that develop the WRC games. 

It is kind of cool to see how they go about recreating stages though. It's one hell of contraption they are driving about with, especially on the extremely narrow roads. 

No description available.No description available.No description available.

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 6

Well that's quite the setup 😅

Makes me wonder, if technology is supposed to make things smaller than, say, 20 years ago (like mobile phones, cameras...), but they need all that "monstrosity" to record the stages, what kind of setup did the Mobil 1 Rally Championship (Rally Championship 2000) devs needed to record the stages back in 1999? That game, in its PC version, had the stages recreated 1:1

I think the main thing is that they want a stable platform for the camera that can capture the entire "sphere" around it (especially the road surface below them), which is why it's suspended in front of the car.

• Agree 3
1 hour ago, AyrtJ97 said:

what kind of setup did the Mobil 1 Rally Championship (Rally Championship 2000) devs needed to record the stages back in 1999? That game, in its PC version, had the stages recreated 1:1

Far from 1:1 (but close for that time ofcourse). A lot less detail in that game and was all handmade. You could already back then have measurements ofcourse in the dev tool, and in combination with a map (or possible satalite images) and videos I think they made those stages.

Nowadays most of the sim-racing games use laser-scanned tracks. At least games like iRacing do. For the F1 games of Codemasters I don't know. I believe those are still made completely "old-school" (so without laser scanned data). Probably laser scanning isn't really the best option of rally stages due to the constant activity 

There was a Seb Loeb Rally Evo dev video that maybe explains a bit how the recording/development of rally(cross) stages are being done (2:18) as you see here above on the Ypres stages:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chewy21398 said:

Be great to see a tight and narrow proper tarmac rally in a game with gravel on the corners

May I suggest you try a rather good title whose name I cannot mention, but the developer rhymes with Schmylotonn...

• Haha 1
On 5/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, Chewy21398 said:

Ypres, Ypres, Ypres!!!

It's contractual now Codies, you have to bring it, otherwise you're clearly in breach of... something. Someone on your forum said someone on a FB page knows someone who said it's coming. Amazing, thanks for the confirmation!

• Haha 3