Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

On 6/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, merseyxshore said:

No more paddle shift either. In my perfect world, WRC cars would return to H-pattern gearboxes and rear wheel drive 😆

how its going everything will be 4 wheel drive and automatic in a few years. 😁

4 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I have my fingers crossed that both the final non-hybrid and hybrid WRCars make it into the CM WRC game. 

If the FIA organizes some sort of championship where the old WRC+ can compete, as they did in 2017 for the WRCars when the Plus cars arrived, then we'd surely see the non-hybrid cars in the game. 

I've heard that the FIA is indeed thinking about such a thing, so there is hope

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Gross, flappy paddles are bad enough.

Apologies for being pedantic haha but I don't think 'automatic' is really the right term, as I believe electric cars aren't geared they're single-speed, so there would be no shifts to automate. If that makes sense. It does suck that a driving skill element would be taken away, but I'm guessing the throttle is going to need even more finesse and skill with electric, as all the torque is there on demand whenever you want it.

Also, on a semi-related note, I hope that now the World Rally Car era is coming to an end, people appreciate how incredible the current-gen WRC cars are. There has never been, and probably never will be, faster cars on the stages. And before anyone comes out with the worst quote in motorsport history, gRoUp B wAs FoR mEn WrC iS fOr BoYs, the group A cars were beating the group B stage times by the early 90s without incinerating anyone...

• Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team

There's a good chance the Rally1 cars will be faster than current WRCs, as the power delivery is more efficient and potent.

Either way, I feel WRC are capping speeds at a ceiling regardless; they already considered it after Sweden 2019.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

Also, on a semi-related note, I hope that now the World Rally Car era is coming to an end, people appreciate how incredible the current-gen WRC cars are. There has never been, and probably never will be, faster cars on the stages. And before anyone comes out with the worst quote in motorsport history, gRoUp B wAs FoR mEn WrC iS fOr BoYs, the group A cars were beating the group B stage times by the early 90s without incinerating anyone...

The thing about Group B cars isn't about stage times. In my opinion, that class is held as high because it was faster than what its era (as in safety, technology, crowds) allowed. 

This is fascinating for many fans because it is perceived as the ultimate challenge for those "heroic" drivers, but I don't think anyone would actually like it if such dangers returned to the sport

1 hour ago, carpa said:

The thing about Group B cars isn't about stage times. In my opinion, that class is held as high because it was faster than what its era (as in safety, technology, crowds) allowed. 

This is fascinating for many fans because it is perceived as the ultimate challenge for those "heroic" drivers, but I don't think anyone would actually like it if such dangers returned to the sport

I should be clear, I’m mainly talking about the most well-known 4WD cars, the rear wheel drive cars of the era like the Nissan 240RS and the Mazda RX7 were incredible, along with the lesser known cars from the B11, B10 and B9 classes. I understand that the four wheel drive cars in the B-12 class were interesting as a “no rules” kind of experiment, and obviously they looked crazy and sounded wild. I just think they were too unwieldy to ever be very spectacular performance-wise. It’s not well-documented, as it doesn’t make for great video, but some have reported that there were times that the cars had to do 3-point turns around tighter hairpins, due to not being nimble enough or having a handbrake. If I’m honest as well, the Quattro A2 was a boat and the Delta S4 looked like a doorstop. Take away the sea of spectators clamouring for a last-second look at a big wing, and the fact that the crews were essentially piloting Molotov cocktails on wheels, and the cars weren’t actually that great to watch. Of course, they’re rally cars, so they’re still brilliant (307 WRC notwithstanding), but the far more chuckable Group 4 cars that came before, along with the more developed Group A cars that came after, were far more entertaining for me.

As for the Group B crews being heroes, I agree, but I feel that this folklore is more down to the irresponsible danger element that really didn’t need to be there. In truth, drivers in the WRC have always driven at the limit, and they’ve been heroes in every era. The challenge aspect is all relative. A Ford RS200 may have been more difficult to drive than a Fiesta WRC, but the skill level is the same as the driver will push the limit further. An ‘easier’ car just means a driver will push harder, which means the corners come faster. And so do the trees!

• Agree 5
On 6/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, PJTierney said:

There's a good chance the Rally1 cars will be faster than current WRCs, as the power delivery is more efficient and potent.

Either way, I feel WRC are capping speeds at a ceiling regardless; they already considered it after Sweden 2019.

For now, Rally1 cars are slower than current WRC. And I am afraid it will not change because of more weight and less aero. So because of that the current gen will not be allowed to compete against Rally1 unless they restrict performance of those cars by a lot. In 2017 it was clear that new generation is much faster than old cars so they were allowed without any problems. 

We need to enjoy 2021 as much as we can with WRC cars because there will be nothing more spectacular than this in near future. 

4 hours ago, Snoopy43 said:

For now, Rally1 cars are slower than current WRC. And I am afraid it will not change because of more weight and less aero. So because of that the current gen will not be allowed to compete against Rally1 unless they restrict performance of those cars by a lot. In 2017 it was clear that new generation is much faster than old cars so they were allowed without any problems. 

We need to enjoy 2021 as much as we can with WRC cars because there will be nothing more spectacular than this in near future. 

The last couple of years there eere a lot of freaky incidents. Untill now most  of them without injuries. So sure new cars have to be a tad slower.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:37 AM, merseyxshore said:

Apologies for being pedantic haha but I don't think 'automatic' is really the right term, as I believe electric cars aren't geared they're single-speed, so there would be no shifts to automate. If that makes sense. It does suck that a driving skill element would be taken away, but I'm guessing the throttle is going to need even more finesse and skill with electric, as all the torque is there on demand whenever you want it.

It depends on the setup. It could be either or. You can run an electric motor through a transmission.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:48 AM, merseyxshore said:

gRoUp B wAs FoR mEn WrC iS fOr BoYs, the group A cars were beating the group B stage times by the early 90s without incinerating anyone...

Well, but what's the fun in that?

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

I should be clear, I’m mainly talking about the most well-known 4WD cars, the rear wheel drive cars of the era like the Nissan 240RS and the Mazda RX7 were incredible, along with the lesser known cars from the B11, B10 and B9 classes. I understand that the four wheel drive cars in the B-12 class were interesting as a “no rules” kind of experiment, and obviously they looked crazy and sounded wild. I just think they were too unwieldy to ever be very spectacular performance-wise. It’s not well-documented, as it doesn’t make for great video, but some have reported that there were times that the cars had to do 3-point turns around tighter hairpins, due to not being nimble enough or having a handbrake. If I’m honest as well, the Quattro A2 was a boat and the Delta S4 looked like a doorstop. Take away the sea of spectators clamouring for a last-second look at a big wing, and the fact that the crews were essentially piloting Molotov cocktails on wheels, and the cars weren’t actually that great to watch. Of course, they’re rally cars, so they’re still brilliant (307 WRC notwithstanding), but the far more chuckable Group 4 cars that came before, along with the more developed Group A cars that came after, were far more entertaining for me.

As for the Group B crews being heroes, I agree, but I feel that this folklore is more down to the irresponsible danger element that really didn’t need to be there. In truth, drivers in the WRC have always driven at the limit, and they’ve been heroes in every era. The challenge aspect is all relative. A Ford RS200 may have been more difficult to drive than a Fiesta WRC, but the skill level is the same as the driver will push the limit further. An ‘easier’ car just means a driver will push harder, which means the corners come faster. And so do the trees!

Couldn't agree more. 

Enough years have passed that the memory of Group B has trascended into legend and all the not-so-spectacular sides have been forgotten. 

I would love to know how many of those that glorify those days were actually around to see them... I surely wasn't 😅

• Like 2
17 hours ago, carpa said:

Enough years have passed that the memory of Group B has trascended into legend and all the not-so-spectacular sides have been forgotten. 

I would love to know how many of those that glorify those days were actually around to see them... I surely wasn't 😅

100% agree. Group B seems to be increasingly romanticised and worshipped (especially on social media) by so-called fans who have little knowledge of that era beyond a handful of compilation videos they have seen. No doubt the Group B cars, especially the latter 4WD cars, were absolutely animals but, as said, they were often unwieldy and painfully unreliable at times. 

Subsequent eras have, in my opinion, produced equally or more spectacular action and, more critically, much more competitive Championships.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, elrojodp8 said:

Dear guys, gossip experts, can you please tell me something new about DR3? some time without news on this, the community needs it.
@PJTierney you won't say anything, I know! or if you will?

Honestly, there's nothing old about DR3 either, so you're gonna be out of luck there.

• Agree 2
4 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

we will probably here something to do with EA events. battlefield is tomorrow maybe its very soon.

I just clicked through the Gamespot stream which was around 8 hours long and the only thing I saw was a trailer for Riders Republic which was supposed to come out in February, and a trailer for a new Avatar game, because 10 years past the death of a franchise is striking while the iron's hot. I don't understand how these things continue to exist.

There is a sequel to Avatar in the works, not sure what stage it's at, but, the game could be a tie in.

Back to WRC and if it goes the same way as Extreme E it doesn't bode well as that series is like watching grown men playing with Tamiyas.

• Social Media & Community Team
On 6/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, elrojodp8 said:

Dear guys, gossip experts, can you please tell me something new about DR3?

Oh it's been a while since I did this:

DR3 may refer to:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Oh it's been a while since I did this:

DR3 may refer to:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

• Haha 4