Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

3 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

was going to try it and actually liked some of the previous titles. just cant be bothered to get the wheel out though. didnt look to bad . its a shame i just cant play casually 😁

I've ended up putting my triple monitor setup on 6" wood blocks so they're actually at eye level. Been wanting to play lately, but it's way too high as is now, so I'd have to drag the wheel out and drop my monitors. My best alternative is to steal a monitor from another computer, which is also a pain.

2 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Look at these images of the livery on the Toyota Yaris WRC. That's with the graphics on high. 😞

For some reason, this reminds me, I heard Forza Horizon 5 was going to have a reworked livery editor with better tools and resolution.

7 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

For some reason, this reminds me, I heard Forza Horizon 5 was going to have a reworked livery editor with better tools and resolution.

WRC 10 is having one as well which will be quite extensive according to the developers.
You'll be able to combine shapes and so on and place them where you want in order to create your own unique decals and perhaps even logos.

On 6/21/2021 at 1:56 AM, JZStudios said:

Either way it's not like you're buying a console right now either.

Qué? 

I'm certainly buying an Xbox series X, the moment MS Flight Sim is released for it. And I believe it will be significantly cheaper than a well-specced PC, comparing apples-to-apples (the consoles are lower specced but the games are optimised for them)

Frame rate issues were nearly non-existent for DR2.0 across the consoles. And it managed 4k at 60fps on the Xbox One X. But even high specced PC rigs still sometimes had frame rate drops I believe, unless optimisation hacks were used. It's the stuffing about with that type of thing that I can't stand. 

I totally get the modded liveries thing though. However I don't believe modded actual new rally stages are capable with DR2.0 on the PC, unlike RBR... Or am I mistaken there?

It'd be nice if modded liveries were allowed on the consoles, like Bethesda allowed console mods for Skyrim. But it's the intellectual property issue that must be the culprit preventing that.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Social Media & Community Team

JZ is saying that supply is so low that you probably won't be able to get a console that easily.

Oh... really?

I hadn't realised that was the case.

[checks local games retailer] Jeebers! They're not even taking orders for the Xbox!! 

Edit: Update, went and bought a Series X on Ebay, brand new. I ended up paying $200 more than the retail price. 

Wasn't hard to find supply there however.

Edited by Jake Cushing

I'm lucky I got mine when I did, snagged one around Christmas which happened to be the last one available on Amazon (Italy). Got it just before import taxes became a thing too 😄 

• Like 1

So its a semiconductor shortage. 

Interesting dilemma for MS and Sony. They can't just jack up the price to maintain profits. The console units are the infrastructure required for the actual profit mechanism - game sales. 

4 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Oh... really?

I hadn't realised that was the case.

[checks local games retailer] Jeebers! They're not even taking orders for the Xbox!! 

Edit: Update, went and bought a Series X on Ebay, brand new. I ended up paying $200 more than the retail price. 

Wasn't hard to find supply there however.

I'm not paying extra for some ******* scalper. I'll just wait until things get back in stock. $200 is almost a 50% price increase.

• Agree 1

Yeah don't buy the inflated ones; if you wait it out the prices will dip back down and for the most part all of the games you'd want to play are still available on Xbox One.

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Yeah don't buy the inflated ones; if you wait it out the prices will dip back down and for the most part all of the games you'd want to play are still available on Xbox One.

Also, just in terms of consoles, there's very little out right now in terms of games worth getting a console for, much less spending an extra 50%.

I just called my PC store back and they're supposed to be getting some cards in tomorrow or day after. Just hope I can get a 3060 for a reasonable price.

In unrelated news, our boy Austin Ogonoski has been pretty depressed after losing his job because of a psycho, and he's shut down PRC again because he's lost all motivation and hope for vidya game racing.

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Oh it was $200 AUD, from a rrp of $750 here down under. 

So closer to 25%.

But yeah not ideal. 

Why do Australians even have money? Next they'll be paying in rupees.

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Also, just in terms of consoles, there's very little out right now in terms of games worth getting a console for, much less spending an extra 50%.

Completely agree with both this and your previous post on the subject. There is no way I am lining a scalpers pocket with money, especially when there currently aren't any games that make me want to play a new console. 

I think I'll be working through the backlog of games I have for sometime, by which point the next gen machines will (hopefully!) be more readily available. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, JZStudios said:

My main reason for getting one was for improved performance in my Xbox One games. Project CARS 3 is pretty stable now (though Multiplayer can be a bit hit-or-miss if there are previous gen players in the lobby) and DiRT Rally 2.0 loads Stages in less than 5 seconds. I've also got Game Pass so "freebies" come in every month.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Why do Australians even have money? Next they'll be paying in rupees.

Believe it or not, there's actually good money in wearing a hat with dangling corks whilst chasing sheep around billabongs then curling up asleep with 50 beer tinnies

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

My main reason for getting one was for improved performance in my Xbox One games. Project CARS 3 is pretty stable now (though Multiplayer can be a bit hit-or-miss if there are previous gen players in the lobby) and DiRT Rally 2.0 loads Stages in less than 5 seconds. I've also got Game Pass so "freebies" come in every month.

Eh, I suppose. For me I just need a GPU because somehow mine which was kicking the **** out of the consoles at the start of the gen suddenly can't run anything from the last 3 years. Particularly Ubi titles.

My buddy got the PS5 when he found one at Best Buy, but now he's all upset there's not really anything to play on it since he doesn't play demon's souls.

6 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Believe it or not, there's actually good money in wearing a hat with dangling corks whilst chasing sheep around billabongs then curling up asleep with 50 beer tinnies

Don't they have dogs for that?

In unrelated news, EGS is giving away Horizon Chase Turbo and Sonic Mania for free right now. Seems fun.

Edited by JZStudios

In unrelated news: Maybe Mr. Ogonoski should consider a shift in priorities, stay away from social media and the toxic far-right BS lies for a while and instead keep his blog alive and help the sim racing community understand games develpoment with his experience e.g. How about that? 

Btw, since when can you restart in RX dailies? Definitely missed that one. 

Edited by richieI
2 hours ago, richieI said:

I have no idea. You once came here and told us that he's been diving deep down the conspiracy myths rabbit hole that's dividing western democracies. That's not healthy, his blog would help him focus on useful things. I don't know what happened exactly in this story, and quite frankly, I don't think these things should be dragged into forums and discussed in public. 

I never said that, I said he posts a lot of political stuff. And most of the "conspiracies" of late have been true.

His story is that he wants sim games to be better, and people don't like that. At some point he started noticing and making aware that one dude was a psycho who was baiting kids and beating his girlfriend. The psycho dude told EA (Since he worked for SMS, bought by Codies, bought by EA) that Austin bullied him by providing public court documents which led to a suicide attempt that he talked about years ago, the reason then stated because someone ordered a pepperoni and ham pizza. EA then subsequently "fired" Austin by failure to renew his contract.

On the sim racing side, after being banned by pretty much every forum and having to make his own blog, people continued to **** all over him while he criticized video games. He was "The death of sim racing." After a while Ian Bell at SMS bribed him with a new PC and a job offer for QA tester, thus his newfound "insider" knowledge of how these things work. A little while after that he shut the blog down for "conflicting interests" since he worked for another studio. Around a year and a half ago he started it back up in limited extent, was forced to shut it down again, then I think started it again before being "fired" before fully opening it back up and subsequently closing it again.

He's done with sim racing in general because from the outside it's full of abusive weirdos who stalk you in the community, devs who are ass holes, projects that go in circles, ridiculous payment methods, poor on track physics and glitches, terrible AI, lack of structure, etc. From the inside, it's the same basically, but worse. Back when he was running his blog people spread rumors online that were... well pretty bad.

Edited by JZStudios
  • Agree 1
51 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

And most of the "conspiracies" of late have been true.

Says who, the YouTube university? Alex Jones? Pretty bold claim with no substance. None. People have been lying and making up things because, guess what, they make a living out of it. People tell you electromagnetic radiation is bad and want to sell you metal cages for your router at home, but unfortunately you can't use your wifi anymore. :classic_laugh: In the meantime, the same people probably like to sit outside and have a coffee or an ice cream while enjoying the most dangerous and deadly electromagnetic radiation, the sun (UV radiation). if you think 'most' stuff is true, then you're being very naive. Pretty much nothing of what that Q guy 'predicted' happened. Whoever that is, is a fraud and a liar that hates liberal democracy. Simples. 

Be skeptical, check your sources and don't believe everything you read or get told on social media. 

I'm sorry for being OT again but I'm done with that kind of stuff. 

Edited by richieI

What the hell are you lot on about lol

Btw, I hope that the survey I completed from Codies yesterday is an indication of DR3 containing some form of stage creation tool, like a more serious Playgrounds feature...

• Agree 2

Care to elaborate? What was the survey, and what part of it suggests a stage creator?

I totally, heavily, mercilessly doubt there'll be a stage creation tool for a dirt rally game. Dirt 4 was a near disaster because they went down that track (heh). And the more graphical fidelity you get in games, the harder to make content at that graphical level and keep it seamlessly procedural.

Now, if they made a retro rally game as a little off-shoot title with 16 bit style graphics, like I keep telling them to do, then oh yes baby sure thing!

15 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Now, if they made a retro rally game as a little off-shoot title with 16 bit style graphics, like I keep telling them to do, then oh yes baby sure thing!

In an alternate universe Art of Rally is a DiRT game 😄 

• Like 2

Yeah I had high hopes for Art of Rally but found its handling to be severely underwhelming. It might have been refined since its early days though.

I'm thinking something quite different to AoR, anyhow. I mean chunky 16bit graphics with some sprite usage and a proper late 80s/early 90s feel - but with elements you couldn't do back then. There are some really great modern 16 bit style games that incorporate techniques never available in those days. Something with a great career shell and really nostalgic graphics, rather than the modern, sleek minimalist thing that AoR is going for...

Edited by Jake Cushing