Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

Can please someone inform me when the ****-from-a-bull stops and we're back on conspiracy about dirt rally games? 

Which is pretty much the only conspiracy I care about, and is surely the only one I'd like to hear about in a DiRT Rally forum

• Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team

@JZStudios, @richieI, the conversation ends here.

I'm well-aware of who Austin is and the controversies he's been involved with over the years (they're indirectly how I got interested in DiRT Rally in the first place). There's no need to re-hash them here or drag this place further off-topic than it is normally.

Also, let me reiterate that this forum (or any place that I have some form of control over) will always allow feedback/criticism, so long as it's constructive and respectful. What other communities do is their own business but if you have an honest opinion about DiRT Rally games and want to make your feedback known, you are welcome here.

14 hours ago, JZStudios said:

When there's anything to talk about.

I can lock the thread for [undefined amount of time] if you want 😉 

Also, if there's nothing to talk about, then don't talk ❤️  This forum doesn't have a deadman switch that requires people to keep posting 🙂 

• Agree 2
2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

That was a good movie by the way, great analogy for how to be fast in DR2 😄

I wanted to hate it as they changed so much from the original book... but I ended up really enjoying it. 

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I can lock the thread for [undefined amount of time] if you want 😉 

Also, if there's nothing to talk about, then don't talk ❤️  This forum doesn't have a deadman switch that requires people to keep posting 🙂 

Hey, this forum is my only form of online socializing. Everywhere else is way too restrictive.

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Wow, time-loop!

This is where JZ and others can make like Tom Cruise and do it all again!

Hey, I didn't start it, why am I always the one being blamed?

4 hours ago, tbtstt said:

I wanted to hate it as they changed so much from the original book... but I ended up really enjoying it. 

It's a book?

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

It's a book?

It was originally a book ("All You Need Is Kill"), then a manga, then a film. 

Main character was Japanese in the book/manga, rough outline of the plot was similar, but the ending was very different (and would have been a bit downbeat for a film). 

Title was changed for cinema, then changed again for DVD release. Clumsy marketing, but a decent film.

• Like 1
On 6/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, Jake Cushing said:

Care to elaborate? What was the survey, and what part of it suggests a stage creator?

I totally, heavily, mercilessly doubt there'll be a stage creation tool for a dirt rally game. Dirt 4 was a near disaster because they went down that track (heh). And the more graphical fidelity you get in games, the harder to make content at that graphical level and keep it seamlessly procedural.

Now, if they made a retro rally game as a little off-shoot title with 16 bit style graphics, like I keep telling them to do, then oh yes baby sure thing!

It was a survey sent out by Codemasters regarding people’s opinions of the Playgrounds feature in Dirt 5, if they liked the environments, if they liked the obstacles, does it increase the games replayability etc.

I think you misunderstand me though; procedural generation is pretty much the opposite of what I mean. I’m thinking more like an area such as DirtFish, or something similar to the test area in WRC 9. So basically a static environment you could map out your own routes and stages in, hence the connection with Dirt Playgrounds. The roads and area would stay the same, but with the freedom to map out stages within that area would mean endless possibilities. The only thing that would need to be generated is the route notes. Would make for great online competition too. It’s the next step for rally sims I’m sure of it.

• Agree 3
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

A custom DirtFish would be a cool place to make tutorial levels, I'm sure 🙂 

My dream rally sim would be an area on the scale of the Horizon series, with players and dev team constantly creating stage routes and events, with road sections between stages etc. Using something the size of the FH4 area, you could have a whole rally of 50km+ stages!

But Dirtfish with some cones and stopwatch would be a good start haha

• Agree 2
17 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Hey, I didn't start it, why am I always the one being blamed?

I actually should have/meant to write 'JZ and Richiel can now go at it all over again' but anyway, meh

3 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

I’m thinking more like an area such as DirtFish, or something similar to the test area in WRC 9. So basically a static environment you could map out your own routes and stages in, hence the connection with Dirt Playgrounds. The roads and area would stay the same, but with the freedom to map out stages within that area would mean endless possibilities. The only thing that would need to be generated is the route notes. Would make for great online competition too. It’s the next step for rally sims I’m sure of it.

Oh yes, this is very much good and feasible too! 

It's more difficult for the DR team as they are required to produce multiple rallies in multiple countries, as opposed to the Horizon devs who can just do one big area in one country.

But one expanded area, like a Dirtfish but with actual countryside and at least some of what you describe, would be most welcome.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 2
On 6/27/2021 at 7:01 AM, Jake Cushing said:

So how do people who've played it, actually find Art of Rally? How do you find the handling and physics in particular?

Curious on how DR fans receive that title.

I found it to be super fun! Obviously the physics can't match a sim title but it's not meant to be. If you get familiar with the controls, handing is fabulous and the physics does a great job, besides major jumps. However, the simple top down view of rally cars flying throughout the map with a dope retro style makes it well worth the purchase and play. Probably my favorite game since February, 2019 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have the physics changed much from Absolute Drift? I really enjoyed that game.

I played a little bit (10 minutes) of Art of Rally before but haven't got the game yet (it's coming to Game Pass next month).

I've been continuing to capture every PC rally game I can find (176 so far, will be 177 soon): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYDobL0b26ugFuXASCIC9qmFb9_k4_fqU

Here's my art of rally clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGaLSpXAOI, but personally I found Star Drift Evolution to be more predictable in the handling department: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVsSfIK1cY

I've been adding a lot of random/rare stuff recently, such as an unreleased Japanese game no one's ever seen before (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAfYT2nK0Pc, and a game where your rally car has to shoot down gunships, tiny stealth bombers and a giant man made out of cones! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMuUsOKWvU

Edited by VirtuaIceMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Stopping by just to post this.  This is are very rare opportunity here in the US, let alone in my home town.  Maybe the UK is just oozing of Group B cars that you see daily on the street, but I am quite excited

The Macchina of Lancia have been selected as our 2021 Proiettore Macchina! - The Cortile (cortilepittsburgh.org)

Usually I depend on the weather as the choice to attend the Vintage Grand Prix, however no weather will stop me this year.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2021 at 11:51 PM, VirtuaIceMan said:

Star Drift Evolution to be more predictable in the handling department: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVsSfIK1cY

Never heard of this - and it looks like seriously good fun and a potential Art of Rally beater

an unreleased Japanese game no one's ever seen before (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAfYT2nK0Pc 

It is just outstanding that you not only found this, but actually got in touch with the developer and put this footage together... well done!!

It's a great addition to the rally game history files. It looks like it was dated by the standards already in place by then, as Richard Burns Rally was released a year later. But RBR was a truly special beast, the 2001 A Space Odyssey of rally.

a game where your rally car has to shoot down gunships, tiny stealth bombers and a giant man made out of cones! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMuUsOKWvU

Cones are possibly what inspired this game, and probably needed to enjoy it

3 hours ago, gfRally said:

Stopping by just to post this.  This is are very rare opportunity here in the US, let alone in my home town.  Maybe the UK is just oozing of Group B cars that you see daily on the street, but I am quite excited

The Macchina of Lancia have been selected as our 2021 Proiettore Macchina! - The Cortile (cortilepittsburgh.org)

Usually I depend on the weather as the choice to attend the Vintage Grand Prix, however no weather will stop me this year.

That might be the exact Delta S4 that was recorded for the game. Chris Jojo flew out to the US to capture it.

11 hours ago, gfRally said:

Maybe the UK is just oozing of Group B cars that you see daily on the street

Ha. We have a few here, but not quite that common! 

Of all the Group B cars the Delta S4 is definitely one of the rarest, so very cool to get the chance to see one. Most technically impressive car of the Group B era in my personal opinion. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Ha. We have a few here, but not quite that common! 

Of all the Group B cars the Delta S4 is definitely one of the rarest, so very cool to get the chance to see one. Most technically impressive car of the Group B era in my personal opinion. 

I have a idea these are from the late 😢 John Campion collection that has been sold off since his death last Fall. 

I spoke to him a couple of times and we where trying to nail down some dates that I could come to his place in Florida to take some pictures and see his impressive collection, unfortunately my travel plans fell though and then he got leukemia.. Really sad, seemed like a very nice fellow, but I have met very few Irish that I didn't get along with.  

Feels good to at least have something to talk about here.  @PJTierney that would be a great connection back to here if it is the one.  Does anyone have a VIN# to verify just for curiosity.  

Edited by gfRally