Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

Posted (edited)

So I fired up Art of Rally again after downloading the 1.5g update (I bought it fairly early on). It feels like the handling has gone through some tweaking or tightening up, as it's now really playable for me on a controller. What a terrific game! The fact this has been basically made by one person is just astonishing. The only issue I've got is that it could be optimised a fair bit. A game with graphics this simplistic shouldn't need downgrading of graphics so there is distracting pop in of trackside vegetation, when running on a state of the art gaming laptop. But it's still very playable and overall looks very good with the graphics set to medium, and it'll be interesting to see how the console versions are optimised.

Apart from some other minor niggles (gear display should be larger, and situated similar to DR), this is just first rate. Almost a perfect arcade rally game with genuine physics.

Edited by Jake Cushing
7 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

it did look great fun but i dont use controllers as im terrible with em. so not tried it. 😁

You can definitely use keyboard input, and I believe there's some wheel support too. I'd look into it. 

13 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

You can definitely use keyboard input, and I believe there's some wheel support too. I'd look into it. 

anything other than a wheel im going to be struggling. 😁

Posted (edited)

Geez I'm having enormous fun playing Grid Autosport, the one released for the Xbox 360. Downloaded it yesterday onto my Xbox One X.

It's well made all-round, the graphics are nice, sharp but restrained, rather than the newer variety of in-your-face saturated and high-contrast.

The handling is great, believable and highly playable - I prefer it to Project Cars 2 and 3 on a controller... 

But it's the AI that really shines - they're superb!

Highly recommend it for an excellent circuit racer. It brings back memories of the fun I had smashing TOCA on the PS1. I haven't played the new Grid but it looks like it went the direction of Project Cars 3...

Edited by Jake Cushing
6 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Highly recommend it for an excellent circuit racer. It brings back memories of the fun I had smashing TOCA on the PS1. I haven't played the new Grid but it looks like it went the direction of Project Cars 3...

I have long thought that Autosport was highly underrated. Certainly not flawless, but a very solid entry in the Grid series. 

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Geez I'm having enormous fun playing Grid Autosport, the one released for the Xbox 360. Downloaded it yesterday onto my Xbox One X.

14 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I have long thought that Autosport was highly underrated. Certainly not flawless, but a very solid entry in the Grid series. 

Codies need to make a solid Drift game 😄 Or maybe make a console version of Torque drift

Dont know if I should have posted, but i submitted this idea to Codies...

image.thumb.png.8081e66bc9ec643f5a223534892e5661.png image.thumb.png.3843691b6b36a3a8fe291e17fb40ddd4.png

• Social Media & Community Team

You're reading into it too much.

"A racing game a year" could easily be "at least 1 racing game a year" 🙂 

In some years it may be just F1, while in others it could be F1 + NFS, DiRT, GRID etc.

• Thanks 1

two of the main men gone. weird how they say basically they done everything right built up the company to the high point before the takeover and now they gone. kinda be expected normally with big takeovers the first thing that happens is people are restructured or moved on.

i think will just continue to see games per year no way massive businesses like codies already were basically doing it start doing it less. so i expect it more and hopefully they turn out great.

whether or not EA start pushing need for speed over this way or similar titles will be interesting too..

I just hope that the simulation, both in F1 2022, as in DR 3 ( or whatever you call it)... Don’t lower your simulation status. The F1 2020, is the only game that simulates well the braking of carboceramic brakes of an F1. Cheers!!!

2 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

two of the main men gone. weird how they say basically they done everything right built up the company to the high point before the takeover and now they gone. kinda be expected normally with big takeovers the first thing that happens is people are restructured or moved on.

i think will just continue to see games per year no way massive businesses like codies already were basically doing it start doing it less. so i expect it more and hopefully they turn out great.

whether or not EA start pushing need for speed over this way or similar titles will be interesting too..

Dirt Rally 3 in Frostbite. I can almost guarantee EA is going to try to force that, they're making everyone use frostbite and it's only designed for battlefield.

First of the hybrid cars revealed this morning...

080721_Ford-Puma-Goodwood-2021_001_839f8

...now that it has been confirmed that the next car will be a Puma I hope even more that CM will be including the last of the pure petrol cars in their WRC game: I want to play using the Fiesta! 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 3
Posted (edited)

Wow that was a wild ride to read... I guess I'm back after another year.

Got DR 2.0 in Humble Bundle, didn't had much time to rally and did some upgrades to PC in the meantime... now I'm obviously hungry for more cause 2x23" and center 24" isn't enough 😄

Anyway... if it was posted already sorry, skipped some pages of some rumbling!

Just wanted to say we as spectators shouldn't be worried about the weight, just look at those jumps of rally1 spec car:

Hope you lot are all fine 🙂

Edited by versedi
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, JZStudios said:

Dirt Rally 3 in Frostbite. I can almost guarantee EA is going to try to force that, they're making everyone use frostbite and it's only designed for battlefield.

Why forum just removed my elaborate response why FrostBite isn't meant to be used for games with sophisticated physics... can I post now forum please?

Edit incoming...

As a long time BF4 player and casual BF3/BF1 player I can assure you that engine isn't meant for accurate physics simulation... if DR will get frostbite it means it's no longer DR and I'm 100% it's not viable to just fuse two separate engines together, even though there's probably still remains of Operation Flashpoint in Codemasters engine which EA had their toes in too.

If EA will kill DR I will hate the company even more than I already do.

The silence isn't assuring at all...

I guess we will see with F1 2022 what's happening unless EA separated portion of codies devs to some NFS-likey product they will release earlier than that

Edited by versedi
The response has been simplified due to forum denying me to respond in a thread
11 hours ago, versedi said:

Why forum just removed my elaborate response why FrostBite isn't meant to be used for games with sophisticated physics... can I post now forum please?

I looked at the edit history of your posts and didn't see the thing you were referring to, or any hidden/deleted posts either.

Not sure what happened there to be honest 🤔

On 7/7/2021 at 11:37 PM, JZStudios said:

Doesn't seem like it'll be a bad thing necessarily.

“Whenever you’re trying to do something that fits the engine—vehicles, for example—Frostbite handles that extremely well,” the developer said. “But when you’re building something that the engine is not made for, this is where it becomes difficult.”

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

DICE who developed Frostbite made the Rallisport Challenge games prior and one of the Need for Speed games.

The problems appear to have been encountered adapting that engine to large scale RPG type games, there's also an article floating about regarding the difficulties the Dead Space developer had making a cancelled third person game with it.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, JZStudios said:

I would be massively surprised by that - DR3 will have been planned well before the EA takeover. It may be factored in as an option for the WRC stuff, but decisions for any potential DR11 game coming out next year will surely have been taken before that. I can see Madness engine being a future option (AMS2 is doing great things with that) but I can see upgraded versions of the current Codies' one too.

• Agree 2

F1 really pushes the Codemasters engine in impressive ways, so lots of learnings there too.

• Like 2

I think a possible DiRT Rally 3 can be compared to a Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order approach.
Jedi Fallen Order has been published by EA, but developed by Respawn with Unreal 4 as engine.

I not think DR will go to an other engine near soon, but that we will need to wait for to be sure.
Its actually not even sure there will be a DR3, or that we need to wait till the 2023 for the possible WRC game, or WRC license in DR3.

Still hope for a similar DR2.0 timeline for DR3. Announcement in september (after summer), and launch in february.

The only thing that maybe fears me a bit, is the lack of the new consoles. This can result in two routes:
- This forces developers to make also a old-gen version if they want to publish a game now.
- But could also force a developer to decide and continue development and publish the game one or two years later when more new consoles have been produced and sold.
On the other side, F1 2021 also still being published for the "Old-gen" PS4 and Xbox One.

• Agree 1
54 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

On the other side, F1 2021 also still being published for the "Old-gen" PS4 and Xbox One.

Sports games look to maximise reach by being on as many platforms as possible.

Heck up until a few years ago I think PES was still making PS2 versions. Granted they were only roster updates but still.

5 hours ago, JorritVD said:

- This forces developers to make also a old-gen version if they want to publish a game now.

I don't think any developers are targeting last gen consoles with future titles. I know the new consoles are hard to get your hands on, I'm trying to find a PS5 myself, but the old consoles are old at this point. Trying to maintain any retro-support is just limiting anything you can do. The new consoles were already around the corner when DR2.0 released, so any future titles should be targeted at that generation and beyond.

Posted (edited)

Of course it is limiting, but companies would rather sell as many copies as possible than use the new system to its full potential. GT7 was supposed to be a new gen title, they just announced that it'll be backwards compatible. Releasing a game for new gen consoles only will hurt sales at this point until the semiconductors shortage is sorted. 

Edited by richieI