Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

• Social Media & Community Team
On 7/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, Jake Cushing said:

I'd rather listen to a man in a suit of armour drag his fingers down a blackboard.

That can be arranged.

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

"current WRC stages"

Monte Carlo, Greece, Finland and Spain are "current WRC stages". When DR2.0 was released in 2019, Sweden, Argentina, Germany, Wales and Australia were also "current WRC stages".

1 hour ago, Von4wd said:

Monte Carlo, Greece, Finland and Spain are "current WRC stages". When DR2.0 was released in 2019, Sweden, Argentina, Germany, Wales and Australia were also "current WRC stages".

They are locations, not stages.

56 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

They are locations, not stages.

🙄

The STAGES in these LOCATIONS are current/old WRC stages.

Is it really that hard to admit you're wrong? 

My comment wasn't meant to offend you, I have no idea why you are apparently upset.

Do i have to write out my working in full for you?  I'm not upset, just stating info, hopefully it helps explain it further.

"they're not really able to do stages modelled after current WRC stages, that was a big grey area last i heard."

That is what i said, it means the following:

1) Refers to current stages, not past stages

2) It's an issue with WRC promoter in that legal has advised them not to copy the in-use stages.

3) This info is a few years old.

The closer it gets to 7pm CET, the more nervous I become to be honest.
I can't wait to see what they have in store for us, at least if they have something to reveal of cours.

But if they do...
I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two new tarmac locations which are completely different from one another replacing the old ones.
Perhaps the same 'location' but massively different stages, like German vineyard stages.
PLEAAAASE let there be vineyard stages! I've been begging for those for over a decade now!
Besides those, maybe San Remo or Corsica as these are popular requests.
However, I'd prefer stages from the Circuit of Ireland or the Barum Rally.
The Ypres Rally is out of the question unfortunately because of licensing.

Gravel locations like the Azores Rally would be a fantastic addition.

When it comes to cars, I just want to see them expand the current classes and perhaps split the 'up to 2000cc (4WD)' class in early and late 2000's (4WD).
I grew up with rallying in the early 2000's so I'd love to see more of those cars such as the Ford Focus WRC '03-'04.
Some older cars on my list are the Talbot Sunbeam Lotus, Peugeot 504, Mercedes-Benz 450 SL (because of that V8 sound), Volvo 240, Renault R5 Maxi Turbo, Alfa Romeo GTV6 (again sound) and many more. I'm not too picky really.
The 'Modern Rally GT' class needs some new blood as well. Removing some and then adding the Alpine would be nice.

There will almost certainly be DLC content which I don't mind but please don't lock the cars completely behind an encryption.
People like me would love to create designs for those as well. We missed out on so many great liveries because of this in DR2.0.

New features like a photo mode, recce and pacenote mode, and a more fleshed out career mode would be splendid.

There's a lot more I'd wish for but that would take me hours to write down.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I think i'd be (pleasantly) surprised if they *did* announce the next rally game tomorrow.

Remember until they get the license (they do not have it yet) they're not really able to do stages modelled after current WRC stages, that was a big grey area last i heard.

As for what's hopefully coming, i'd say photo mode is going to be there, graphics will always improve, just to what degree and dynamic weather with physics changes will be high on the list as well.

Maybe we'll see stage length/creation improvements, they've always said how long it takes to make stages, they *have* to have been working on something there!  Assuming it's possible that is.

I agree with you that I would be suprised if they announce it today, that would be unexpected.

On the stages topic, well, while many people can be attracted to a WRC-based (kind of) stage, there are many rally events out there with beautiful scenary and stages that could be used for a rally game, and I think it would be a refreshing touch for the rally genre, not the same WRC locations of always, and personally for me, as I've expressed before, it's always been a shame that the DiRT Rally team haven't taken advantage of this particular circumstance.

18 hours ago, Von4wd said:

All locations in DR2.0 (except New England) are nearly 1:1 recreations of iconic WRC stages. Wales is Hafren/Sweet Lamb, New Zealand is Whaanga Coast, Germany is Panzerplatte, etc. Not even Kylotonn that owns the license model the stages so accurately.

So that doesn't seem to be a problem as long as Codies don't use the real stage names.

They are recreations of publicly available roads. You will notice that very specifically CM stages do not go to the "normal" start/finish gates for a lot of the iconic stages - they stop a bit short. 

This is how you play that grey area. You are using public assets, that closely resemble a copywritten stage marker, but don't actually match the "official stage" 1:1. It's definitely enough I could see WRC having a leg to stand on in court if they wanted to fight it, but CM probably consulted enough to ensure they were "different enough" to not be in legal trouble.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yup, it's similar in circuit racing. SMS for instance circumnavigated licensing issues by changing parts of Suzuka and re-naming it Sakitto. I think they left the hairpin and the chicane out. 

Edited by richieI

was surprised its a new grid game. especially as its often the least popular. guess new dirt for this year is out the window. grid was kinda fun will be interesting to see if they made tarmac decent now.

tuned in for battlefield........going to show everything but battlefield last...😂

Edited by dgeesi0
3 hours ago, StockTunesOnly said:

They are recreations of publicly available roads. You will notice that very specifically CM stages do not go to the "normal" start/finish gates for a lot of the iconic stages - they stop a bit short. 

This is how you play that grey area. You are using public assets, that closely resemble a copywritten stage marker, but don't actually match the "official stage" 1:1. It's definitely enough I could see WRC having a leg to stand on in court if they wanted to fight it, but CM probably consulted enough to ensure they were "different enough" to not be in legal trouble.

Hmm, interesting...
So this explains why Codemasters removed in DR2.0 all the military stuff from the German stages that we had in DR1, to ensure they were different enough from the real Panzerplatte stage.

4 minutes ago, OTR Boba Fett said:

Très déçu de voir grid plutôt que Dirt Rally 3.0 

Je suis vraiment désabusé 

pareil je suis hyper déçu surtout que le grid  précédent était pas bon . donc dirt rally 3 pour 2023 😞

• Agree 1

maybe they wanted to give more shine to the grid game to get the ip rolling again. makes sense. does make you wonder though when will there be another dirt rally game. 2023 is a long time yet.

Hmmmmmm, even though there was some interesting stuff that was showcased, I'm a bit let down. 
There not being anything new today, made me thinking...
No announcement now, means there's most likely nothing coming in early 2022 and perhaps not even in 2022, period.
A game late 2022 or early 2023 seems unlikely because of the acquisition of the WRC license which starts from 2023 with the first game probably releasing in Q3-4 2023.

So does this mean that we'll have to wait two more years to get our hands on anything new related to the DiRT Rally franchise?
DiRT Rally titles in 4-year cycles, is that really it?
Is the DiRT Rally franchise still going to even be a thing with the WRC titles?

I'm really having trouble getting to grips with that, to be honest.

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
33 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

Hmm, interesting...
So this explains why Codemasters removed in DR2.0 all the military stuff from the German stages that we had in DR1, to ensure they were different enough from the real Panzerplatte stage.

It could also be stricter age regulations, Forza Horizon 4 had to do the same with one of their assets.

• Agree 1

The time between DR1 and DR2.0 was about 3 years. An extra year, to line up with the WRC licence doesn't seem unreasonable. Grid looks fun, I enjoyed autosport for being more than an arcade but not as demanding as a sim. The trailer looked like you could call it TarMAC 5, with a fantasy F1 story mode. 

29 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

"The first game – based on that ’23 season – will be launched before the end of March, 2024."

Ooh, everything makes sense now!
DR3 will likely be announced later this year and released in February 2022, exactly three years after DR2.0. So Codies will have a two-year gap to develop the first WRC game, which will be released in February/March 2024.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

"The first game – based on that ’23 season – will be launched before the end of March, 2024."

Ooh, everything makes sense now!
DR3 will likely be announced later this year and released in February 2022, exactly three years after DR2.0. 

really? !!!