Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

1 hour ago, RodgerDavies said:

Ok thank you, I knew I had read somewhere that a CM WRC title wouldn't be until 2024 but haven't been able to place it. This absolutely confirms to me that we are getting a new Rally installment in 2022. I really hope they give us the solid platform we need for next-gen that let's the future Rally title be chock-full of DLC for years to come after. Let WRC be the yearly iteration title, let Rally have 20+ locations with 100+ cars that you keep expanding on for years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well, that article (definitely missed that one) fuels the hope a bit that we'll see another DiRT Rally game. So, you guys are probably right, a new game could be coming early next year. 

Of course the EA event would've been a good opportunity to announce something, but in theory they could announce a new game anytime through the usual channels. 

• Agree 1

Well just saw the trailer for Grid Legends. Looks... dumb. Gonna straight skip the story, I don't know who these companies seem to keep focus testing that makes them think racing game fans want some ridiculous overblown story. I am curious what engine it's using though.

Oh, hey, Dead Space is getting a remake after EA killed the franchise, made the studio make Hardline, and then shuttered them. And... it's being made in Frostbite? This is unprecedented!

does suck to wait so long for a new dirt game but hopefully by then the bug is back to play car games.

dead space back is great news big fan brought the first one day of release on pc. still have it. 😄

58 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

dead space back is great news big fan brought the first one day of release on pc. still have it. 😄

I played through about half of it on the PS3 and then found it kind of repetitive. Honestly I'm more annoyed that the death of the franchise was directly caused by EA, then shuttered the studio. Maybe the team working on the remake are ex Visceral?

So that's the second Grid game announced since DR2.0

Flipside is more time presumably needed for DR3 (IF there's a DR3) and being given to it.

Anyone bothered by the GRID FMV (full-motion video ie corny 'movie' bits) - eh, just skip it in-game. The real question is whether they are bringing back practice laps and any semblance of realism.

One of the greatest games ever made, Terra Nova by Looking Glass, had the cheesiest FMV. But it was somewhat knowing and was actually entertaining when you played the game, as you knew it was just salad and the meat of the game was squad based jetpack combat and nothing's ever equalled it since.

13 hours ago, Von4wd said:

"The first game – based on that ’23 season – will be launched before the end of March, 2024."

Ooh, everything makes sense now!
DR3 will likely be announced later this year and released in February 2022, exactly three years after DR2.0. So Codies will have a two-year gap to develop the first WRC game, which will be released in February/March 2024.

If they've announced this Grid game for 2022, I don't see anything arriving until much later in the year... at earliest.

39 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

If they've announced this Grid game for 2022, I don't see anything arriving until much later in the year... at earliest.

Why? They're very different types of games (presumably)...

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

Why? They're very different types of games (presumably)...

I just mean, if the strategy is announcing games now for (early) 2022, why would they wait several more months to announce another game to release in Q1 2022?

There is a possible answer for that; Grid is a single brand and the 2019 game isn't being updated, whilst Dirt as a brand serves two games one of which (Dirt5) is currently 'active'.

But I still wouldn't expect them to overlap so much; I'm sure certain marketing assets and no doubt other team members are shared between projects. Grid and DR2 launched 9 months apart in 2022 - if something's coming next year, I'd expect at least a similar gap between them.

• Social Media & Community Team

It's more about attention.

If a hypothetical new rally game was announced at the same show, there's a chance everybody could be like "oh cool, rally game! what's this GRID thing? oh whatever".

Regarding rally, I know it's frustrating being a fan and going "well, we're waiting..." (I'm like that with the new Forza Motorsport at the moment).

When the rally team has something to share, I'll do what I can to make us go as big as possible so that you're all super hyped.

I'm afraid I can't give any dates or clues though, just be aware that I'm as excited to talk about things are you are to hear about them.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
9 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

It's more about attention.

If a hypothetical new rally game was announced at the same show, there's a chance everybody could be like "oh cool, rally game! what's this GRID thing? oh whatever".

Regarding rally, I know it's frustrating being a fan and going "well, we're waiting..." (I'm like that with the new Forza Motorsport at the moment).

When the rally team has something to share, I'll do what I can to make us go as big as possible so that you're all super hyped.

I'm afraid I can't give any dates or clues though, just be aware that I'm as excited to talk about things are you are to hear about them.

Alright, that did cross my mind earlier as well.

And if that final sentence is truthful, then I'm still on the early (to mid) 2022 hype train.
It suggests there's definitely something being worked on that isn't related to the first WRC title but rather to DiRT Rally 3.
Otherwise why would @PJTierney be excited about something that's only coming late 2023/early 2024.

So thanks @PJTierney! DiRT Rally 3 confirmed!
We only have no clue about any of the content or when it will be released. 😛 

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I remember PJ saying somewhere else (Discord maybe?) that most games are announced too early, and in his opinion the ideal window between announcement and release is 3 months.  I don't know how much influence he has on this matter, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
23 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

I remember PJ saying somewhere else (Discord maybe?) that most games are announced too early, and in his opinion the ideal window between announcement and release is 3 months.  I don't know how much influence he has on this matter, but it's something to keep in mind.

Zero influence, just stuff I've learned from working on campaigns over the past 10 years.

48 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

Completely valid point when you think of the overhype some games get because of the time between announcement and release - when not managed well, that hype can derail the good parts of the game.

On the other end of the scale, you get releases like DR1's, that were so sudden and unexpected that hey, everything was new, shiny and excellent with zero expectations up front. I understand that's not the most profitable way to release, but boy was it effective.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
2 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

And if that final sentence is truthful, then I'm still on the early (to mid) 2022 hype train.
It suggests there's definitely something being worked on that isn't related to the first WRC title but rather to DiRT Rally 3.
Otherwise why would @PJTierney be excited about something that's only coming late 2023/early 2024.

That's not what he said, though. He'd love to tell us more about what's going on just as much as we'd love know. That's all. 

Anyways, if the next DiRT Rally is coming then I hope it materialises without the engine upgrading system in dailies. I love the idea that sometimes people have to use the same car, but then you get to drive cars you never used, it just takes the fun away a bit. I don't see the benefit of letting people drive race cars with stock engines. Of course, just because I don't see the benefit of such a system, it doesn't mean there's none. 

58 minutes ago, richieI said:

That's not what he said, though. He'd love to tell us more about what's going on just as much as we'd love know. That's all. 

He's excited to talk about things that are going on as much as we are excited to hear about it.
And we are very excited to hear about it. 
That sentence does imply that something is already quite a bit along development-wise, right?
I mean, it implies that it's not just hypothetical things (stuff that they are planning to do) but rather actually developed content.
Something which is not 2 years away from being released, right?

Or am I really reading too much into this?

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
22 minutes ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Or am I really reading too much into this?

After reading it again I'm not sure anymore now :classic_laugh: What I meant is, he wanted to stress that if he were allowed to say anything regardless of whether something is in the works or not, he'd love to do so just as much as we'd love to have some insight of what's going on behind the scenes. 

Edited by richieI
3 minutes ago, richieI said:

After reading it again I'm not sure anymore now :classic_laugh: What I meant is, he wanted to stress that if he were allowed to say anything regardless of whether something is in the works or not, he'd love to do so just as much as we'd love to have some insight of what's going on behind the scenes. 

Haha that's the problem with DR community managers like @PJTierney!
They always say something in a way that means nothing and everything, all at the same time!

And hypothetical features or content isn't really something to be excited about, is it?
Those features or content might eventually be scrapped along the way so I don't think PJ would say he's so excited about something if there's nothing substantial to be excited about.

Damnit, @PJTierney, this is turning into another love-hate-relationship with a DiRT Rally Community Manager!

• Haha 1

i do think hes being truthful as most community managers and i know pj is more than that dont know that much or can say that much. its basically what they given to tell you the community. it will be interesting to see whats next. i understand why grid was given the light as for most people its a shrug shoulders might buy. so trying to get it to a yeah im interested in it after the grid ip has kinda been relaunched in recent years makes sense. it could be really good if ..they can get the tarmac right. i enjoyed the last one just drifting around having fun. the problem was..once you play a decent tarmac game then go back to it. couldnt play it anymore. for that one reason alone. 😄

its actually really important for the next dirt rally game to nail this as its the one real weakness. nail that and you have the best rally game period. obviously it isnt easy.

10 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

I just mean, if the strategy is announcing games now for (early) 2022, why would they wait several more months to announce another game to release in Q1 2022?

There is a possible answer for that; Grid is a single brand and the 2019 game isn't being updated, whilst Dirt as a brand serves two games one of which (Dirt5) is currently 'active'.

But I still wouldn't expect them to overlap so much; I'm sure certain marketing assets and no doubt other team members are shared between projects. Grid and DR2 launched 9 months apart in 2022 - if something's coming next year, I'd expect at least a similar gap between them.

Typically you don't release all of your similar franchises in the same time period. CM has always had this set so they're different niches. But Grid and NFS are... similar, and then there's presumable SMS which is also... similar. F1 is it's own niche, and Dirt logically would be an alternating bi-annual release like Forza and Horizon. Though it is seeming likely there might not be a DR3 and just go for WRC.

Which actually then raises another question, WRC is a yearly title, like F1, so where does the mainline Dirt franchise fit into that? EA now has a lot of racing studios that all make their own games, with a few being similar. Going to be one hell of a weird schedule, or EA is going to homologate teams. Is Project Cars going to continue, or will it be folded into Grid?

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I know it's frustrating being a fan and going "well, we're waiting..." (I'm like that with the new Forza Motorsport at the moment).

Judge Smails "Well, We're waiting" animated gif

The only thing I've heard about Forza is that they're redoing the physics engine so now it's at a higher tick rate, and I think they're redoing the FFB. Other than that, it's been pretty silent.

• Like 1

Spending some more time in FM4, I've come to the conclusion the PI rating or whatever is kind of broken. At least in FM4. There's a bunch of A class cars like the Ford GT that come on "stock" tires, below even "street" tires. I'm not kidding, the car has 550hp and it's on the same tires as a Prius. And they put the PI of most of the cars so high that you can't put on reasonable tire choices because it forces you into S class. The only good solution is to upgrade a C or B class with better tires, but the tires take so much PI that you then don't have the speed to keep up on straights.

It makes a weird "balance" where you have to divebomb the corners with better grip, or gun the straights and brake super hard before every corner.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:19 PM, snkiz said:

The time between DR1 and DR2.0 was about 3 years. An extra year, to line up with the WRC licence doesn't seem unreasonable. Grid looks fun, I enjoyed autosport for being more than an arcade but not as demanding as a sim. The trailer looked like you could call it TarMAC 5, with a fantasy F1 story mode. 

Don’t forget that there weren’t two dev teams at that time and the DR dev team made DiRT 4 between the two DR titles. Basically they made DR2.0 in 1,5 year. Though they started build DR2.0 immediately after D4, while DR2.0 had for about 1 year extra development for solving issues and add DLC. 

one more thing just for logic. Why would they start the DiRT Rally Team in JWRC in 2021 while there would only be a WRC title in 2024? Doesn’t sound very logic imo.

I think there will be a DR3 in 2022. Maybe announced during Ypres, though that’s unlikely now with the recent announcement of GRiD Legends and also lot people have holiday and are away from social media and computers. September like DR2.0 sounds more reasonable, and for the JWRC round in October great promotion can be made aswell with a new livery for Armstrong. 

we will see. I at least not expected a new GRiD. 

• Agree 2