Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now¬†ūüėȬ†

16 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

WRC10 is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it can be fun under the right circumstances.

Which circumstances would those be? with a keyboard? because wheels are not fun at all.

21 minutes ago, snkiz said:

Which circumstances would those be? with a keyboard? because wheels are not fun at all.

They are fun if you can find that sweet spot of wheel/FFB settings.
It took me over an hour to get more or less right on my Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer.
The feeling is quite good and driving the WRC or WRC2/3 cars feels/handles natural, you know, a similar feeling I have in DR2.0.
Some of the more modern machinery from the legendary cars feel quite good as well.
Everything pre-1995 is an absolute mess, physics-wise. Just to give you two examples:

1. The Alpine A110 drives like a 4WD/AWD car.
2. The Audi Quattro A2 is as nimble as can be. The engine over/in front of the front axle, makes the car a tricky one to drive IRL (plenty of understeer). But in the game there's not even the slightest hint of that.

Some of the locations aren't fun at all because of the surface physics. Snow or ice patches or snow on the edges of the road don't affect the car at all!

So which circumstances am I talking about then?
Well, driving a WRC or WRC2/3 car on the tarmac stage(s) in Spain, Croatia and San Remo is nice.
The Portuguese stages are my favourite ones on gravel followed by Acropolis.
Any of the remaining location/stages and cars don't feel right or fun to drive on. 

In October they'll release the Ypres Rally Belgium stages and I sincerely hope they don't **** those up!
I know those roads like the back of my hand as I live in the middle of them so they better get it right!
It doesn't matter if it's not a 1:1 recreation but they need to get the environment, types of roads etc. spot on.

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 1

Here's a live run in WRC10 on the Arganil stage from the Vodafone Rally de Portugal.
You will notice constant minor stuttering and a few major stutters as well.
Great fun though this one as it makes me tolerate many of the drawbacks, of which there are a lot, for a moment...

By the way @PJTierney, if you want us to stop talking/posting about WRC10, you only need to do one thing, mate...
DROP SOME SWEET FUTURE DIRT RALLY CLUES!!!¬†ūü§£

32 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

if they work they often require a lot of getting right and tweaking.

That shouldn't be necessary, From what you guys are saying there is no adjustment when you manage to make it work. If it's anything like the 15 seconds of FFB I got before the hotfix I'll pass. I might pick up on sale if they fix it. IMO, this is not a 70 dollar game.

• Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

By the way @PJTierney, if you want us to stop talking/posting about WRC10, you only need to do one thing, mate...

I know where the [Delete Post] button is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, snkiz said:

That shouldn't be necessary, From what you guys are saying there is no adjustment when you manage to make it work. If it's anything like the 15 seconds of FFB I got before the hotfix I'll pass. I might pick up on sale if they fix it. IMO, this is not a 70 dollar game.

it shouldnt be neccessary but in most sim games it is just part of playing it. never played a title where i just got on with my wheel and just played without changing anything. that includes dirt.

• Agree 1

Well, the sound isn't that convincing, and when I hear the co-driver, honestly, how cool is it to have the legend Phil Mills as a co-driver in DR2.0? Stages are cool but are they authentic recreations of the real life rallies? 

Such a shame that apparently the historic rally cars don't handle that great. I remember driving the Fulvia in WRC 8 and it felt like the suspension was made of marshmallows. Didn't know they had the Quattro A2 (and apparently also the A1) and other legendary icons. 

Edited by ricxxV2
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, ricxxV2 said:

Such a shame that apparently the historic rally cars don't handle that great. I remember driving the Fulvia in WRC 8 and it felt like the suspension was made of marshmallows. Didn't know they had the Quattro A2 (and apparently also the A1) and other legendary icons. 

They do have them, they're visually terrible from everything i've seen and apparently they made no effort (or have no ability/time) was made in the aspects of how those cars handled.  I don't think they have much experience in non-AWD cars.

• Agree 1
21 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

They do have them, they're visually terrible from everything i've seen and apparently they made no effort (or have no ability/time) was made in the aspects of how those cars handled.  I don't think they have much experience in non-AWD cars.

Yeah, they made huge leaps, the biggest one probably from WRC 7 to WRC 8, but still not quite there yet, I guess. 

Edited by ricxxV2
45 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I don't think they have the time or resources to pour this out on an annual basis, so i'm not really that surprised.

I would go a step further and say that this particular development team within KT Racing does not have the developers or leadership personnel who are capable or skilled enough to pull it off in the first place.
I know it's harsh but the engine/exhaust audio is a prime example as are the poorly designed 3D car models (especially the legendary ones).
If they improve it, it's still terrible and if they overhaul it using the perfect strategy (direct recordings from the car with 12 microphones) and using a proven tool (FMOD) and it's still utterly *****... That does raise a lot of questions when it comes down to competence.

I think it does a very good job of humbling how DR is perceived, for the things it does wrong (or doesn't do right) just look at what the alternative can be - just realise how much skill and attention to detail is put into the DR series and how much effort would be required on such a wide front for WRC to be at the same level.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
6 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I think it does a very good job of humbling how DR is perceived, for the things it does wrong (or doesn't do right) just look at what the alternative can be - just realise how much skill and attention to detail is put into the DR series and how much effort would be required on such a wide front for WRC to be at the same level.

Absolutely true. I think we can't even remotely imagine how talented the developers on the DiRT Rally development team are.
And we don't praise them enough.

@PJTierney, please pass this along to all the guys working on that team. Stellar job you guys/girls are doing over there.

• Agree 3

For what it's worth, talking about WRC 10 in this thread is fine.

Ideally comparing it to DiRT Rally 2.0, as that is something that would certainly be useful information to various people.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Has anyone noticed how in WRC 10, Jon Armstrong is inexplicably always last in the Junior WRC? Not "almost last", but plum last. And like, every time. By a rather large margin. Spite, or ghosts in the algorithm?

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I would go a step further and say that this particular development team within KT Racing does not have the developers or leadership personnel who are capable or skilled enough to pull it off in the first place.
I know it's harsh but the engine/exhaust audio is a prime example as are the poorly designed 3D car models (especially the legendary ones).
If they improve it, it's still terrible and if they overhaul it using the perfect strategy (direct recordings from the car with 12 microphones) and using a proven tool (FMOD) and it's still utterly *****... That does raise a lot of questions when it comes down to competence.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=570788447691452

• Confused 2

All the gear, no idea? ūüė쬆 That's pretty unfortunate, and the two highlighted comments say it all.

why take super sophisticated sounds and release us a game with unrealistic sounds and even less in replay?

The mics weren't working right ? The sound is even MORE TERRIBLE than last year !! How can you guys possibly **** it up more every year ? Unbelievable

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, Mental said:

Has anyone noticed how in WRC 10, Jon Armstrong is inexplicably always last in the Junior WRC? Not "almost last", but plum last. And like, every time. By a rather large margin. Spite, or ghosts in the algorithm?

You're not the first to point this out ūü§Ē

I understand the livery "missing" certain parts, that's an expected given, but that, that's a new low, quite the slight to Jon personally, i mean it borders on defamation if it's bad enough.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX
  • Agree 1