Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now¬†ūüėȬ†

• Social Media & Community Team
4 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

@PJTierney or anyone else, quick question... I was wondering if the prices for DLC content on Steam have changed over time...
Do you know what the original prices were for DLC in DR2.0 if they aren't the same as now? How much was one car? One location? DLC Season 1 pack?

The Season bundles have changed over time, I know that much.

A while after Year One Pass / GOTY came out, Seasons 1 and 2 were discontinued (as a standalone purchase), and Year One Pass was reduced to the previous Seasons 3 and 4 price.

I don't think the individual stuff has dropped permanently, only in sales.

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/

image.png

https://steamdb.info/app/1142800/

image.png

https://steamdb.info/app/1118271/

image.png

• Social Media & Community Team
4 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I understand the livery "missing" certain parts, that's an expected given, but that, that's a new low, quite the slight to Jon personally, i mean it borders on defamation if it's bad enough.

Jon's fully aware of his integration into WRC 10. The JWRC team was entered under his name, so he was their contact for the livery etc.

Not sure on the AI driver though ūüėĄ¬†

• Thanks 2
On 9/3/2021 at 9:43 AM, dgeesi0 said:

it shouldnt be neccessary but in most sim games it is just part of playing it. never played a title where i just got on with my wheel and just played without changing anything. that includes dirt.

It's one of my biggest arguments against Steam's stupid 2 hour refund period. It can take longer than that for troubleshooting and wheel setup, and once you realize it's broken or not good you're already screwed.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I know it's harsh but the engine/exhaust audio is a prime example as are the poorly designed 3D car models (especially the legendary ones).

What's funny is the guy now doing the audio for BeamNG says he really pushed for better audio in CM games when he was there and it made a few enemies as they seemingly thought it wasn't worth scrapping everything and doing it better. Which is also finally what Turn10 and playground are doing.

Your notes about the recording setup also reminds me of AC, they got track time with proper audio equipment and the audio was still ******* awful. Took them forever to even implement surround sound. And when they did it also sucked.

8 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I understand the livery "missing" certain parts, that's an expected given, but that, that's a new low, quite the slight to Jon personally, i mean it borders on defamation if it's bad enough.

Oh, come on. It's not like he's Mr. The Block and intentionally slamming his car into a rock in an effort to kill his co-driver.

Not the point i was making.

I wouldn't care if they put him at the back (even though he has a realistic shot at the championship, so not right) but having him at the back and massively off pace too seems a little odd.

• Agree 2
11 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The Season bundles have changed over time, I know that much.

A while after Year One Pass / GOTY came out, Seasons 1 and 2 were discontinued (as a standalone purchase), and Year One Pass was reduced to the previous Seasons 3 and 4 price.

I don't think the individual stuff has dropped permanently, only in sales.

https://steamdb.info/app/690790/

image.png

https://steamdb.info/app/1142800/

image.png

https://steamdb.info/app/1118271/

image.png

Interesting... Thanks for this @PJTierney.

The reason I asked is because there was so much backlash surrounding this back in the day (and still as of today) from many, including a lot of players from the WRC franchise community. I haven't read/heard many complaints about the prices for DLC in WRC10 though. Which I find very odd because:

Lancer Evo V = ‚ā¨4,99
Arena Panzerplatte (a single short stage from previous game) = ‚ā¨4,99
Career Booster Pack (HATE this type of DLC) = ‚ā¨2,99

I mean, that is bloody expensive!!! Way more expensive than DR2.0's equivalent, even when it first launched.
But no complaints so far... Besides, they are planning more paid DLC for the future as well. 

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant

Not the point i was making.

I wouldn't care if they put him at the back (even though he has a realistic shot at the championship, so not right) but having him at the back and massively off pace too seems a little odd.

Codemasters could always include, in the next DR, a French AI driver called A. Jarniou, that constantly DNFs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, warpengage said:

Codemasters could always include, in the next DR, a French AI driver called A. Jarniou, that constantly DNFs.

...but that'd mean they're just the same as the KT guys. 

The Subaru sound in WRC 10 obviously is completely off. They probably thought 'let's take the typical Scooby boxer 4-cylinder sound and use it for the S5', but it actually doesn't sound like that at all. As I said earlier, you have to give them credit for the improvements they made, their games can be fun now (especially on a wheel when you dial in the FFB) but in certain departments the game's still not there yet. 

I'm so curious to see what Codies will be able to do with the WRC license. You'll never please everyone, people will always complain about different things and games will never be perfect, but I think it's going to be quite good. 

Edited by ricxxV2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 minute ago, ricxxV2 said:

I'm so curious to see what Codies will be able to do with the WRC license. You'll never please everyone, people will always complain about different things and games will never be perfect, but I think it's going to be quite good. 

So am I! Can't wait for it.

If the team takes a similar development approach like they did for DiRT Rally, DiRT Rally 2.0 and perhaps a future DiRT Rally 3 (still crossing my fingers, touching wood and all that), and EA doesn't interfere too much (also crossing my fingers and touching wood just in case), then I'm fully convinced that we are going to be blown away by what they manage to put together.

I don't want to put any unnecessary pressure on the lads and ladies on the team though. I have faith in your skills and professionalism. 

• Like 1

Interesting... Thanks for this @PJTierney.

The reason I asked is because there was so much backlash surrounding this back in the day (and still as of today) from many, including a lot of players from the WRC franchise community. I haven't read/heard many complaints about the prices for DLC in WRC10 though. Which I find very odd because:

Lancer Evo V = ‚ā¨4,99
Arena Panzerplatte (a single short stage from previous game) = ‚ā¨4,99
Career Booster Pack (HATE this type of DLC) = ‚ā¨2,99

I mean, that is bloody expensive!!! Way more expensive than DR2.0's equivalent, even when it first launched.
But no complaints so far... Besides, they are planning more paid DLC for the future as well. 

But WRC has a fair amount of content at launch, if you don't buy the DLCs you'll still have a lot of content.

The main complaint about DR2.0 is that you NEED to buy DLCs to get a full game. The DR2.0 that we all claim to be awesome is the GOTY Edition, because the base game gets boring pretty fast due to the lack of stages.

24 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

But WRC has a fair amount of content at launch, if you don't buy the DLCs you'll still have a lot of content.

The main complaint about DR2.0 is that you NEED to buy DLCs to get a full game. The DR2.0 that we all claim to be awesome is the GOTY Edition, because the base game gets boring pretty fast due to the lack of stages.

I'll just copy what I said to someone on the WRCTheGame subreddit (took me while to write it down and don't want to adjust the whole thing so it fits here):

When it comes to the economic model, I do have to disagree. I know many people hate the way they went about it. They mentioning the things you said (releasing half of a game and selling old content in as DLC that should've been in the game from launch). However, I don't think that's entirely fair. Again, you can disagree with me if you want, that's fine, but I'll explain why I don't follow that logic as it were.

Firstly, I'll focus on the base games. DR2.0 had 6 completely new locations with 12 stages each and a range of brand new cars as well. Yes, WRC10 has more locations but it does have less stages per location, though. Between 7 and 11, shakedowns not included as it's similar to what's in DR2.0 and the shakedowns in that game are not included in the number.

WRC10, on the other hand, has a lot of stages which are recycled from their previous titles and just 4 locations with stages that are completely new, if I'm not mistaken? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sweden for example wasn't in WRC9 but it has the stages from one of their earliest games. Having driven on them, they don't really fit overall, in my opinion, because of how basic they are compared to the later ones they designed. It's so extremely wide for one. From WRC8 onwards, they really stepped up their game (pun intended) when it comes to stage layout.

In other words, the base game for WRC10 has 60-70% recycled stages (and cars) which is currently being sold at full retail price (‚ā¨49,99 on PC and ‚ā¨59,99 for the Deluxe Edition).
In DR2.0, the stages in the base game are 100% new. With 60-70% of the cars being recycled. That game was also sold at a similar full retail price. And in that regard I wouldn't call the base DR2.0 game 'half a game'.

Secondly, the DLC aspect itself. Yes, DR2.0 has indeed plenty of paid DLC that mostly consists of content from DiRT Rally but there's also brand new stuff (e.g. 8 rally cars, Scotland, several RX tracks/cars). But what people need to keep in mind... Because of the improved/updated physics model, graphics and audio, that older content (stages and cars) underwent major updates in order to work properly and have the same level of quality DR2.0 itself offers. You were able to buy seasonal DLC packs or you could buy each piece of content you like, separately.

WRC10 isn't shying away from releasing DLC content either. At the moment there is the Lancer Evo V, the Arena Panzerplatte (short stage from previous game) and a career booster pack available. The Impreza will become paid DLC as well, as it's only free for the first two weeks. And I think you will agree that the prices for those are very steep, to say the least. The Lancer and Arena Panzerplatte are ‚ā¨4,99 each. The Impreza will probably cost just as much in two weeks time. The career booster pack, a type of DLC I despise in any game, goes for ‚ā¨2,99.
The price for the cars is two and a half times more expensive than the price you had to pay for a car in DR2.0 (‚ā¨1,99 at most). The recycled locations (12 stages) didn't cost all that much either in comparison to that single Panzerplatte stage which, again, is content from one of their previous games. One full location goes for ‚ā¨3,49 at the moment. However, I don't know if that changed over time but it has definitely not been 12 times ‚ā¨4,99 at any point intime. And DR2.0 doesn't sell those booster type DLC, which is good.

In addition, KT Racing and Alain Jarniou have said that more content will come to WRC10 in the future, not referring to the free major update patches but rather paid DLC content.

So to wrap this up by adding my personal take:

I would rather buy a base game with all the locations/stages being brand new for full retail price (cars will always reappear, especially iconic ones so can't complain about that) and having the option/freedom to buy updated & improved content from previous titles than buy a base game with the majority of the content having been recycled and having the option to buy brand new or perhaps more recycled content as DLC post-launch (according to what was said by the dev team).

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Yeah, the so called 'recycled content' is completely re-worked and let's just assume that game devs don't have a magic button they can press and just create things out of nowhere, a whole lot of work and time was necessary to do all this, and quite frankly, they're fantastic. So, why shouldn't they charge money for the hard work they've done? The Deluxe edition was how much, 60 bucks? Plus Deluxe Content 2.0 Pack another 26/27. That's 90 Euros in my case for around 800 hours of entertainment since release. EIGHT HUNDRED. I think it's absolutely worth the money, especially considering the quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
1 hour ago, ricxxV2 said:

Yeah, the so called 'recycled content' is completely re-worked and let's just assume that game devs don't have a magic button they can press and just create things out of nowhere, a whole lot of work and time was necessary to do all this, and quite frankly, they're fantastic. So, why shouldn't they charge money for the hard work they've done? The Deluxe edition was how much, 60 bucks? Plus Deluxe Content 2.0 Pack another 26/27. That's 90 Euros in my case for around 800 hours of entertainment since release. EIGHT HUNDRED. I think it's absolutely worth the money, especially considering the quality.

Completely agree! I've got 1070.2 hours of gameplay on the clock.
And I haven't actually played in the last 8 or 9 months either. The last time I actually drove for a while was when I competed in the semi finals last December.
After that, I was completely burnt out because of all the time and hard work I put into those four months prior.
A week and a half prior to the quarter and semi finals, I was practising and setting up the car for 8 hours per day on average.
It just became too much physically and mentally. 
Now, I only run it when I need to check out a W.I.P. design, to see if everything fits OK or to take screenshots.

But to get back to the point... Yes, for that price it was definitely more than worth it.¬†ūüėÜ

33 minutes ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Firstly, I'll focus on the base games. DR2.0 had 6 completely new locations with 12 stages each and a range of brand new cars as well. Yes, WRC10 has more locations but it does have less stages per location, though. Between 7 and 11, shakedowns not included as it's similar to what's in DR2.0 and the shakedowns in that game are not included in the number.

WRC10, on the other hand, has a lot of stages which are recycled from their previous titles and just 4 locations with stages that are completely new, if I'm not mistaken? Correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition, KT Racing and Alain Jarniou have said that more content will come to WRC10 in the future, not referring to the free major update patches but rather paid DLC content.

Okay so I was not going to respond to anything WRC10 related but I am starting to see a trend here. A worrying one.

So WRC10 has a lot of things to improve. A. LOT. That is undeniable honestly. Sounds have improved but could be way better, the cars' models, physics that lend themself more to the arcade side of things (and that's fine) but the Legend cars suffer a lot from being too 4WD and too much the same from one to other car. The Jon Armstrong AI thing, which in my opinion is one of the most stupid decissions they could have taken (and a total disrespect towards him). And other things I may have not noticed.

But on the pure content side:

Yes, WRC10 has reused stages from previous games sadly this is the most typical issue with yearly licensed motorsport games, even tho they could perfectly choose to recreate different stages for different years. But let's not forget that DR2.0 has, for every location, just 2 stages, which are then splited into other 2 smaller stages, and this has been a long standing issue of the DiRT series sadly, while at least the WRC franchise has unique stages instead of reusing the same map.

And as much as it is true the WRC10 DLC prices are out of hand, where does it say there will be paid DLC content other than what is already there on the store? All news I could find plus the game's very own Steam page mention 2 new rally events and 4 cars coming as free DLC, not paid. Unless there is anything I am missing there.

• Agree 1
52 minutes ago, AyrtJ97 said:

Okay so I was not going to respond to anything WRC10 related but I am starting to see a trend here. A worrying one.

So WRC10 has a lot of things to improve. A. LOT. That is undeniable honestly. Sounds have improved but could be way better, the cars' models, physics that lend themself more to the arcade side of things (and that's fine) but the Legend cars suffer a lot from being too 4WD and too much the same from one to other car. The Jon Armstrong AI thing, which in my opinion is one of the most stupid decissions they could have taken (and a total disrespect towards him). And other things I may have not noticed.

But on the pure content side:

Yes, WRC10 has reused stages from previous games sadly this is the most typical issue with yearly licensed motorsport games, even tho they could perfectly choose to recreate different stages for different years. But let's not forget that DR2.0 has, for every location, just 2 stages, which are then splited into other 2 smaller stages, and this has been a long standing issue of the DiRT series sadly, while at least the WRC franchise has unique stages instead of reusing the same map.

And as much as it is true the WRC10 DLC prices are out of hand, where does it say there will be paid DLC content other than what is already there on the store? All news I could find plus the game's very own Steam page mention 2 new rally events and 4 cars coming as free DLC, not paid. Unless there is anything I am missing there.

I'll just correct one thing... The locations in WRC10 either have 1 long stage that can be run in reverse which has been cut into two and reversed to make up the remaining stages (you also have a SSS which is nice) or they have 1 extremely long stage that can be run in reverse which has been cut into three parts and reversed to make up the remaining stages (with the additional SSS).
The shakedown each location has is a shorter section of one of the short stages. 

I'll look up the article that mentioned the DLC after dinner.

EDIT: Can't find the article anymore unfortunately. Didn't save the link.

the main thing i personally want to see is real locations now they have the wrc license and cars we maybe couldnt have before. i dont care how many events there are as long as they decent. no good having a 100 events and 90 are ****. ūüėĀ

one of the main reasons i personally liked some wrc games in the past is they also do narrow fast events which dirt mainly seems to avoid for the best part. which is a shame. as narrow one car width events bring speed , danger and excitement to life !

the dlcs and total price of dirt rally 2.0 was quite dear tbh. even though it was a great game. i cant see this changing in the future especially with EA on board i can only see more monetization or more dlc options. fingers crossed that isnt the case.

I'll just copy what I said to someone on the WRCTheGame subreddit (took me while to write it down and don't want to adjust the whole thing so it fits here):

When it comes to the economic model, I do have to disagree. I know many people hate the way they went about it. They mentioning the things you said (releasing half of a game and selling old content in as DLC that should've been in the game from launch). However, I don't think that's entirely fair. Again, you can disagree with me if you want, that's fine, but I'll explain why I don't follow that logic as it were.

Sweden for example wasn't in WRC9 but it has the stages from one of their earliest games. Having driven on them, they don't really fit overall, in my opinion, because of how basic they are compared to the later ones they designed. It's so extremely wide for one. From WRC8 onwards, they really stepped up their game (pun intended) when it comes to stage layout.

In other words, the base game for WRC10 has 60-70% recycled stages (and cars) which is currently being sold at full retail price (‚ā¨49,99 on PC and ‚ā¨59,99 for the Deluxe Edition).
In DR2.0, the stages in the base game are 100% new. With 60-70% of the cars being recycled. That game was also sold at a similar full retail price. And in that regard I wouldn't call the base DR2.0 game 'half a game'.

Secondly, the DLC aspect itself. Yes, DR2.0 has indeed plenty of paid DLC that mostly consists of content from DiRT Rally but there's also brand new stuff (e.g. 8 rally cars, Scotland, several RX tracks/cars). But what people need to keep in mind... Because of the improved/updated physics model, graphics and audio, that older content (stages and cars) underwent major updates in order to work properly and have the same level of quality DR2.0 itself offers. You were able to buy seasonal DLC packs or you could buy each piece of content you like, separately.

WRC10 isn't shying away from releasing DLC content either. At the moment there is the Lancer Evo V, the Arena Panzerplatte (short stage from previous game) and a career booster pack available. The Impreza will become paid DLC as well, as it's only free for the first two weeks. And I think you will agree that the prices for those are very steep, to say the least. The Lancer and Arena Panzerplatte are ‚ā¨4,99 each. The Impreza will probably cost just as much in two weeks time. The career booster pack, a type of DLC I despise in any game, goes for ‚ā¨2,99.
The price for the cars is two and a half times more expensive than the price you had to pay for a car in DR2.0 (‚ā¨1,99 at most). The recycled locations (12 stages) didn't cost all that much either in comparison to that single Panzerplatte stage which, again, is content from one of their previous games. One full location goes for ‚ā¨3,49 at the moment. However, I don't know if that changed over time but it has definitely not been 12 times ‚ā¨4,99 at any point intime. And DR2.0 doesn't sell those booster type DLC, which is good.

So to wrap this up by adding my personal take:

I would rather buy a base game with all the locations/stages being brand new for full retail price (cars will always reappear, especially iconic ones so can't complain about that) and having the option/freedom to buy updated & improved content from previous titles than buy a base game with the majority of the content having been recycled and having the option to buy brand new or perhaps more recycled content as DLC post-launch (according to what was said by the dev team).

Damn that's a lot of words... sorry but I won't burn my brain cells trying to write a complex reply in English¬†ūüėĄ

My point is that 6 locations in the base game are not enough, you'll get bored quickly no matter if they are brand new. I think WRC went on a better route mixing old and new locations, and in my opinion DR2.0 should have done the same.

For example, in an upcoming game I would rather have 8 recycled/updated locations and 4 brand new ones than only 6 brand new ones.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

Damn that's a lot of words... sorry but I won't burn my brain cells trying to write a complex reply in English¬†ūüėĄ

My point is that 6 locations in the base game are not enough, you'll get bored quickly no matter if they are brand new. I think WRC went on a better route mixing old and new locations, and in my opinion DR2.0 should have done the same.

For example, in an upcoming game I would rather have 8 recycled/updated locations and 4 brand new ones than only 6 brand new ones.

Let me shorten that for you:

"I'd rather have the Dev team include more base stages than less"

Your window dressing around that statement meant nothing as it didn't take into account reality.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

I'll just correct one thing... The locations in WRC10 either have 1 long stage that can be run in reverse which has been cut into two and reversed to make up the remaining stages (you also have a SSS which is nice) or they have 1 extremely long stage that can be run in reverse which has been cut into three parts and reversed to make up the remaining stages (with the additional SSS).
The shakedown each location has is a shorter section of one of the short stages. 

I'll look up the article that mentioned the DLC after dinner.

EDIT: Can't find the article anymore unfortunately. Didn't save the link.

Well yeah. I did some further research and that's the sad true, still trusting in the old "create a long stage and chop it into pieces" trick.

It just makes me sad that rally games devs just rely on that nowadays when creating their games...

9 hours ago, Von4wd said:

I honestly didn't bother with the DLC. Partly because of issues I had with the game, but mostly because... why wouldn't I just play DR instead of buying it again? I know it was remade, but still. And then DR2 forces you to download and house all that content it won't let you have anyway, bloating the install size so I just deleted it.

8 hours ago, ricxxV2 said:

CDPR is remastering the Witcher with higher res textures, better effects, ray tracing, some minor new content, etc. and it's free for everyone that bought the game in 2015. Granted, I've seen the CM monetary issues on the wall since then too.

Let me shorten that for you:

"I'd rather have the Dev team include more base stages than less"

Your window dressing around that statement meant nothing as it didn't take into account reality.

No, what he said was pretty reasonable. There's no major reason the next title couldn't have all of DR2's content in addition to some new stuff. It's how Forza did it when switching over to Xbox one. Instead of keeping their old outdated models like GT, they kept the higher res ones and made a new baseline for acceptable content. Then they made everything match that baseline. That's why FM5 was so "low" on content, and FM7 is back to 700+ cars and however many laser scanned tracks. Apparently they're all laser scanned.

BeamNG is currently also going through the same process of remastering old cars and locations up to the new standard, while also adding in some new cars. Locations are going to take longer as they're still remaking the old ones.

Nothing about what he said was unrealistic, and if DR3 ever happens and it's once again just 6 stages instead of 18 it's going to look pretty poor. DR2's content is already at a perfectly good standard to port directly over to the next game.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

DR2's content is already at a perfectly good standard to port directly over to the next game.

How can this statement be made when we have zero idea what the next game's track resolution and features will be? So DR2's stages will not even need to be re-modelled?

Besides, Codies will get burned on a stake by whinging players and the media if any of the exact same rallies appear yet again, as either base content or DLC. They are going to need to create significant new stages in the same countries at the very least.

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

How can this statement be made when we have zero idea what the next game's track resolution and features will be? So DR2's stages will not even need to be re-modelled?

Besides, Codies will get burned on a stake by whinging players and the media if any of the exact same rallies appear yet again, as either base content or DLC. They are going to need to create significant new stages in the same countries at the very least.

Because it's already in a higher fidelity standard with a PBR pipeline and materials. You ignored my entire comment. And it's what Forza is doing. Then again, they're apparently now on a 4 year dev cycle for FM8, so maybe they are reworking everything to a new standard for the new gen. But FM5 and FM7 have the same standards set. If they are reworking everything for FM8, it's unlikely to change for the entirety of the new console generation.

Unlikely, when every other racing game does exactly that and no one complains that Spa is in the game, once again. What people complain about is buying tracks they already had from the previous game for a premium. The only reason I'd like to give CM a pass on it is because they remade the tracks instead of just a direct port. When Forza removes cars from FM6 to sell as DLC in FM7, that's ********. Adding in new content as DLC is more understandable.

If you choose to play DR instead of the new game for whatever reasons, you're just depriving yourself from having a better experience by driving on better modeled stages and locations with overall superior quality, that's it. Have fun and good luck in Sweden, where the snow banks were made of super sticky compact snow with the property of suddenly absorbing all of the kinetic energy and stopping you in an instant. So much fun. Enjoy the surface textures in Finland that are so smooth, they make you feel like driving on a carpet. 

And the reason why Spa is in almost every circuit racing game is the epic racing history it has and still makes, just like Monza, Silverstone, Daytona, N√ľrburgring or Le Mans.¬†

Edited by ricxxV2