Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

21 hours ago, ricxxV2 said:

Doesn't really change the answer. 

Playing racing games might help to get a feeling for driving in general but practising in a real car on a parking lot or private property is the only way. If you get an EV you don't need to worry about the clutch 😛  and if there's a gasoline shortage like in the UK now, you have no issues powering your car while everyone gets upset ^^

It does change the answer. Throttle just needs a non-linear response curve, the clutch simulation needs to simulate... a clutch. No amount of curve adjustments will make the clutch simulation any better in these "sims." Once you set off at 5000 rpm you can drop the throttle to zero and cruise at crawling speed, but you can't let off the clutch and do the same.

21 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Watch him argue that it does change the answer.

HA! Change the goal posts on me and then tell me I'm arguing it changes the answer.

The statement that there are differences between burning, flash burning and exploding, has nothing to do with the comment you answered, which is that everything flammable is a potential bomb.

Which is false. The paper doesn't explode, it's just the container for the explosive. It's a very simple concept I'm not arguing anymore. You're dying on the wrong hill.

You said both, and didn't specify which you were referring to, but the net outcome is the same, either the throttle isn't linear enough or the clutch isn't.  Shame, it's something i'd love them to get right/fix too.

You need to read ALL MY WORDS. I clearly said the clutch simulation and clutch pedal are unrealistic and you need to start at 5k rpm otherwise it stalls. I didn't even mention throttle response. And again, it's clutch simulation, not clutch linearity. You can mess with throttle linearity and get a more realistic response, but changing clutch linearity in a realistic fashion still doesn't make the clutch simulation work properly.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

@JZStudios I get that you want to "win" the argument and eloquently explain your reasonings but every time you go back and forth I am reminded of this:

xkcd: Duty Calls

Yeah, well in his mind he's like

Bleeding Victor GIF - Bleeding Victor Kung Pow - Discover & Share GIFs

Either way, not sure why I'm being called out when he started this stupid argument for no reason. And he's wrong. He's clearly never worked with explosives nor done basic chemistry.

• Confused 1

Last post, and if Max can prove me wrong then he wins this argument and all future arguments by default.

I work with people who make bombs, missiles, and explosives for a living. If Max can in any way show me that steel, glass, granite or wood can explode he wins the argument. Explosives have their own fuel source, and none of those materials do. Having a cardboard shell around gunpowder for fireworks does not make the cardboard explode. The expanding gasses from the explosive inside (despite Max's basic misunderstanding of what explosives are) tear the cardboard apart. The cardboard can explode, but it's just shrapnel. Suggesting the cardboard becomes an explosive is ludicrous and incorrect. The exact same thing with steel casings on missiles. It's not an explosive, it's just shrapnel.

• Confused 1

Why DR 3.0 not come in februry2022 because gran turismo 7 come in 4 march for PlayStation  and Forza horizon 5 come this November for xbox maybe DR 3.0 come in September 2022 and this game have big WRC  update with Rallly 1 car, official livrery for WRC 2 and WRC 3  in January 2023 .:classic_ninja: 

Edited by gk9147
  • Social Media & Community Team

I don't care who started the conversation at this point or wants to continue it, it ends here.

If you guys want to resume debating the physics of explosives, do it somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Back to DiRT, Jimmy's been streaming it a bit recently, going through the McRae challenges.

This run of his looked rather good [55:48]:

Under 7 minutes around South Morningside in a SUBARU Legacy is pretty decent.

• Like 4

Yeah, it's the part of the Scotland location I pefer, probably because I'm just more familiar with it than with Newhouse Bridge and its variations. The forest section is amazing, both downhill and uphill in reverse. 

Jimmy feels like he's addicted to DR2.0 because he's got some perspective now after playing WRC10 😝 (no disrespect), but he said WRC10 has the better gravel physics. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this comment tbf. I haven't played it and it certainly can be fun, but I dare to say I highly doubt it. 

Edit: Btw, in that video PJ was in the chat and at around 1:03:35 he says he's working on F1 things and other stuff we don't know about 🧐

Edited by ricxxV2
1 hour ago, ricxxV2 said:

Jimmy feels like he's addicted to DR2.0 because he's got some perspective now after playing WRC10 😝 (no disrespect), but he said WRC10 has the better gravel physics. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this comment tbf. I haven't played it and it certainly can be fun, but I dare to say I highly doubt it. 

I do think his recent experience with WRC 10 has made him want to try out DR2 again, especially in VR. 

I think he was overall pleased with the WRC physics, but the rest of the game let him down, especially the visuals.

1 hour ago, ricxxV2 said:

Edit: Btw, in that video PJ was in the chat and at around 1:03:35 he says he's working on F1 things and other stuff we don't know about 🧐

I don't think it's much of a secret that games take a long time to develop so stuff is always in the pipeline years before you all see it 😉 

It's not like an F1 game is suddenly developed the day before it's released 😄 

Oh, and I'm always working on stuff you don't know about, that's the nature of the business 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I don't think it's much of a secret that games take a long time to develop so stuff is always in the pipeline years before you all see it 😉 

It's not like an F1 game is suddenly developed the day before it's released 😄 

Oh, and I'm always working on stuff you don't know about, that's the nature of the business 🙂 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mh3j3hyxnol3n2xqfy

🙂

Edited by ricxxV2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, ricxxV2 said:

but he said WRC10 has the better gravel physics. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this comment tbf. I haven't played it and it certainly can be fun, but I dare to say I highly doubt it.

As a whole I still prefer the gravel physics in DR2 because the cars have more weight, but one specific thing I find better in WRC is that I don't feel the cars rotating on their own axis like I do in DR2.

This is the main reason why I play all my sim-oriented games on dash/head cam (including WRC10 and RBR NGP6), but DR2 I play on chase cam to better understand what the rear end is doing.

On 9/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, merseyxshore said:

Jayzus crust, I hope there’s some DR3 news soon, the arguments on here are like watching someone watch paint dry. 

Y'know, I've actually done that at work once with my manager.

13 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

😁😁

I just don't like making factual statements and then having people gaslight me and act like I'm insane. Remember the argument about DuPont poisoning people and everyone said it wasn't true?

It's like everyone thinks I have Crazy Talk aka Lunatic Lies even though it's factually true.

14 minutes ago, Von4wd said:

As a whole I still prefer the gravel physics in DR2 because the cars have more weight, but one specific thing I find better in WRC is that I don't feel the cars rotating on their own axis like I do in DR2.

This is the main reason why I play all my sim-oriented games on dash/head cam (including WRC10 and RBR NGP6), but DR2 I play on chase cam to better understand what the rear end is doing.

...but everything that rotates rotates around it's own axis... (another argument incoming in 3... 2.. ...)

Edited by JZStudios
24 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

...but everything that rotates rotates around it's own axis... (another argument incoming in 3... 2.. ...)

😄 yeah, yeah I was trying to refer to that old discussion about "center pivot" physics etc.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1
11 hours ago, Von4wd said:

not sure about this one...if one thing is better in WRC 10 then it is the overall "weight feel" imho. but could also be that my FFB settings in WRC10 are just better than in DR2. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, fokuzx2 said:

not sure about this one...if one thing is better in WRC 10 then it is the overall "weight feel" imho. but could also be that my FFB settings in WRC10 are just better than in DR2. 

When it comes to weight transfer, the thing that feels great in DiRT Rally 2.0 is the self-aligning torque. When I'm going through switchback turns like those in New Zealand I can really feel the wheel pull me from sliding one way to the other.

• Agree 1
21 hours ago, ricxxV2 said:

I heard that in the Audi in Argentina video; I assumed it was a misquote and he meant 'tarmac'. As always, massive respect to him keeping up a continue narrative whilst driving something that hectic! Nice to see him giving the game a much deserved highlight though.

• Agree 1
27 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

As always, massive respect to him keeping up a continue narrative whilst driving something that hectic!

Driving and talking is hard in this game, as you need to listen to Phil at the same time 😄 

We all like Jimnmer, though he can be a bit 'blase' about things. He posted a video playing Live For Speed and said he 'expected jank from such an old game' and 'expected it would be hard to get to run', without even bothering to find out that it's been continually updated since release and is still being updated. Or to mention that fact. Nor did he look at the VR mode in LFS which looks terrific and has some features like 3D mirrors that no other sim has, afaik.

He's a Good Thing and his personal arc has been fun to watch, but sometimes he's just too flippant. And his effusive praise for the WRC series was just rubbish - he's been saying it's a better rally sim than DR2.0 since WRC8, which is sheer nonsense.

Edited by Jake Cushing