Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

• Social Media & Community Team
2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Dude, that's not a chase-cam in a game!

The whole point is that in a game, chase-cam is hard-wired to the centre point of the vehicle, coz it's the simplest way to make such a cam.

Here's a place you can try it out: art of rally

That game lets you control how tight the camera is when the car rotates; you can go from having it practiclly bolted to a full-on swivel motion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Just now, PJTierney said:

That game lets you control how tight the camera is when the car rotates; you can go from having it practiclly bolted to a full-on swivel motion.

The one in WRC 10 gives also some good opportunities to set the cam as you wish. At least, it is an attempt. It is worth what is worth but it is already a good starting point.

37 minutes ago, James__McAdam said:

playin' with a controller. Yes mate. 

😆 Haha, forgot about that detail!  

30 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Just seen that it finally has a release date on PS4: can't wait!

22 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

As there's nothing else going on right now while Codies withholds info on upcoming titles, I'm going to ask for some evidence on this. Can you name a driving title in which chase cam does not look like it's rotating around a centre-pivot? It has to be a chase-cam in which the camera itself is pinned to the centre of the car, like DR2.0, mind.

I was never talking about chase cam. Chase cam will always look weird.

I didn't mean hard facts it's actual center pivot. It's a way to describe the feeling how the cars rotate. If you give steering input to the right the rear end will simultaniously move over slightly to the left and vice versa. As Max say it's the reason the cars have such a big tendency to catch the road edges with the rear end if you drive close to the and try to steer away from them.

I guess there are alot of different factors at play here that makes the cars behave this way. Cambered roads and crests etc seems to make the behaviour more pronounced. Flat surfaces like Dirt Fish and Germany not as much.

I'll share this little clip. Look how the rear end keeps moving to the left just a little bit when I straighten the car out. This is not the tire losing any grip at this point. The tire should be able to hold the rear end straight. When I steer to the left in the following left hander the rear end starts to move over to the right. The FFB also reacts to that little 'wiggle' by going light wanting to help countersteer. This makes fast right/left transitions feel very muddy when you have a rear end that behaves like that. It just gives the feeling of not being completely connected to the road itself.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hFhFBTgNh9RSNwmDdwmt78UfdFIgiK83/view?usp=sharing

Then again, watch any replay from Spain with some good pace in it and you should easily spot that something looks very off how the car rotates through many of the bends.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Dude, that's not a chase-cam in a game!

The whole point is that in a game, chase-cam is hard-wired to the centre point of the vehicle, coz it's the simplest way to make such a cam.

That makes no sense. The camera is directly tied to the center line of the truck, it functions exactly like it does in games. The only thing it doesn't do is swing from side to side on turns. It literally can't be any more tied to the center point of the car if it tried. Try the chase cam in Assetto Corsa that's also completely static stuck to the car.

8 hours ago, tbtstt said:

😲 And I thought you were one of the sim kids: you're just a casual chase camera user!

Seriously though, aside form my other issues everyone says never happened the poor cameras in DR2 is the other 50% of the reason I uninstalled it. Every camera in the game looks bad and I don't quite know why. I messed around with it on controller once just to test it, and it was much easier to play in DR1 thanks to better cams.

47 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

To be fair the default livery for each car is pretty good, clearly a copycat of a licensed design.

art of rally - Available now on Steam, GOG and Epic!

I'd like a plain blue S5, because CM didn't give me one of those in DR2.0...

*shots fired*

5 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Seriously though, aside form my other issues everyone says never happened the poor cameras in DR2 is the other 50% of the reason I uninstalled it. Every camera in the game looks bad and I don't quite know why. I messed around with it on controller once just to test it, and it was much easier to play in DR1 thanks to better cams.

Ha. Maybe it is just what I am used to, but I tend to struggle whenever I return to DR1 (for the occasional bit of Pikes Peak). 

(That is probably more to do with handling rather than cameras though)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

That makes no sense. The camera is directly tied to the center line of the truck, it functions exactly like it does in games. The only thing it doesn't do is swing from side to side on turns. It literally can't be any more tied to the center point of the car if it tried. Try the chase cam in Assetto Corsa that's also completely static stuck to the car....

You're misunderstanding when we refer to "center"

You reply suggests you think it's lateral center only, we're talking about center laterally and longitudinally - actual center in both plains.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

You're misunderstanding when we refer to "center"

You reply suggests you think it's lateral center only, we're talking about center laterally and longitudinally - actual center in both plains.

There's only one definition of center, and that camera is it. It's tied to the centerline and aimed at the center point. It can't get more centered, again the only difference is it doesn't rotate independently of the vehicle's vector.

This is what I'm talking about, I make a simple factual statement and people argue against it like I'm crazy. It's tied directly to the car, it's not like it's center of rotation is somehow independent of the vehicles. And regardless of whether the vehicles apparent center of rotation is center of mass, it's not an irrelevant point in this argument. We're talking about appearances vs reality, and that's obviously reality.

In less controversial breaking news, Mr. The Block has broken into a secret Audi storeroom and stolen and subsequently destroyed a bunch of classic motorsport icons.

Edited by JZStudios
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

To be fair the default livery for each car is pretty good, clearly a copycat of a licensed design.

Totally agree they are pretty good. Some of them are even based on less known, real world liveries too

15 hours ago, PJTierney said:

yep, they are.

But this is cool as well : 

The real livery mixed with that ultra minimalist graphisms is just insane. Love it.

Have the feeling to see a permanent tilt shift effect in the game, as when I was kid and I was playing with my Burago. You know what I mean. :classic_love:

Edited by James__McAdam
  • Agree 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
12 hours ago, JZStudios said:

In less controversial breaking news, Mr. The Block has broken into a secret Audi storeroom and stolen and subsequently destroyed a bunch of classic motorsport icons.

That Group S prototype is mental.

• Like 1
On 9/29/2021 at 2:12 PM, Madhun1967 said:

have you guys really watched , with scrutiny , WRC10 vids ? Utter garbage  IMHO on handling.Was made for a controller , not wheel to begin with. That for most should tell the story.If it doesnt, then pay attention to braking prowess of cars on tarmac from 80 mph to 10 mph hairpin, and watch the dynamics. Laughable. Inertia, weight transfer, my gosh. Again IMHO, terrible. Also NO feedback on tarmac.

Up and down suspension movement, not happening.At least the feel is NOT affected, by them.

I could go on, and these are but jut my opinions on how the WRC game doesnt compare to Codies Dirt efforts, at all.

I've not scrutinised any videos, but I have actually played the game on a Fanatec Clubsport wheel. Believe me, the physics is the one thing in this game that doesn't need any work. Once you dial in the wheel and FFB settings, it's unreal. I'm just waiting for all the glitch fixes and updates now.

Btw, having marshalled at a British Rally Championship tarmac round with a large number of R5 entries, the most impressive thing about cars at that level is the braking. It has to be seen up close to be believed.

Edited by merseyxshore
19 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

yeah just watched mr ken the cossie killers new video at the audi place. seen quite a few people there recently. s1 looks and sounds gourgeos.

Too bad he crashed it into that plane. At least his co-driver wasn't present so he didn't get killed again.

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

That Group S prototype is mental.

Yeah, too bad he crashed it into the S1 he crashed into the plane. Video looked more like a BeamNG test demo than anything.

Edited by JZStudios
22 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Ken supremely demonstrating the horrendous understeer of the E2 there! Iconic looks, but terrible handling. RS-002 is not pretty, but I think it is cool that Audi have started showing it off now. 

When they first announced the partnership I was hoping that Block would build the S1 that Audi Sport weren't allowed to at the time, but it seems his first project car with them will be electric. 

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Ken supremely demonstrating the horrendous understeer of the E2 there! Iconic looks, but terrible handling. RS-002 is not pretty, but I think it is cool that Audi have started showing it off now. 

When they first announced the partnership I was hoping that Block would build the S1 that Audi Sport weren't allowed to at the time, but it seems his first project car with them will be electric. 

few youtubers car people been to audi in that place over the last 6 months. the rs 002 maybe a little bite at the rs 200 backwards 😁 still seems better.

10 hours ago, tbtstt said:

The e2 doesn't understeer, Mr. The Block just doesn't know what he's doing. I thought the prototype looked kinda RS200.

I agree, very RS200-ey.  But once you see him out driving it, it changes to very much booble car-ey 😄

I think that between you and Mr. Block, despite what you think of his literally fake persona, that i would take the opinion of the one that has driven the car(s) as to how their steering traits felt.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX