Jump to content Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip

MastaVonBlasta

Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

2 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Well its pretty much time to announce DR3 right? 😮

At least good to see that PJ refers to the source itself. So basically conforming there are currently two projects at the DR team:

- Project A: which is most likely DR3.
- Project B: which is most likely WRC.

I still think the timeline is too tight for that to work - you'd imagine WRC game would be late '23, so surely mid '22 is the absolute latest a stopgap 'DR3' could be feasible. And surely we'd have heard something by now if that were the case? Would love to be wrong.

• Agree 3

What if Dirt Rally 3.0 was the simulation, and WRC games made by the team behind Dirt 5 for mass appeal 😮

That said, flinging the car about on G920 in Dirt 5 was genuinely fun (for me!)

Have to wait and see, I guess...

In the meantime, my "Every PC Rally Game" YouTube playlist is complete (for now), with 218 rally games covered! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYDobL0b26ugFuXASCIC9qmFb9_k4_fqU

• Social Media & Community Team
On 2/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, Rogerbee said:

If you think PJ is bad, Duncan hasn't posted for years!

I used to work/collaborate with a guy called Duncan. Many memes were had indeed 😄 

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, RodgerDavies said:

I still think the timeline is too tight for that to work - you'd imagine WRC game would be late '23, so surely mid '22 is the absolute latest a stopgap 'DR3' could be feasible. And surely we'd have heard something by now if that were the case? Would love to be wrong.

yeah youd of thought somekind of announcement would of been done by now. maybe they just putting all resources into making WRC a massive game. maybe the wheel will come out again then. 😁

About The Dirt WRC Game, it can come first at fiscal 2024 year (KT has the deal till end of 23). So We have enought time for Dirt Rally 3 in between. This is also chance to be first Rally Game with 100+ cars (as there is much more Budget with EA ,of course with help of DLC) Later with WRC licence deal i dont see it happen. Also there is chance, that last DLC will be in 2024, with Toyota Cars thanks to WRC Deal !

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dani211212 said:

About The Dirt WRC Game, it can come first at fiscal 2024 year (KT has the deal till end of 23). So We have enought time for Dirt Rally 3 in between. This is also chance to be first Rally Game with 100+ cars (as there is much more Budget with EA ,of course with help of DLC) Later with WRC licence deal i dont see it happen. Also there is chance, that last DLC will be in 2024, with Toyota Cars thanks to WRC Deal !

Where did you find your information about KT having the license until the end of 2023?
The reason I'm asking, is because it doesn't make any sense. KT's final WRC game will release in September 2022.
Why would they still have the license for another year and a few months? 

As far as I'm aware, KT's deal ends by 2023 but they are of course still entitled to offer post-launch support for their final game. 

I know very little about game development. Could the adoption of a new engine explain the delays? Would that mean they'd need to design the stages from scratch? Playing on Unreal 5 would certainly be worth the agonising wait.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dani211212 said:

I readed i few months ago, i will post link wenn i find!  till than here is link, from the Deal, that first game will lunch till the march 1. 2024. (KT has support and  E-Sports in 2023) 

https://racesimcentral.net/codemasters-sign-5-year-exclusive-wrc-deal-starting-2023/

There are several things I'm not all too happy with regarding that article you linked:

"DiRT Rally 4, DiRT Rally and DiRT Rally 2.0 titles" -> Euhm lol...

"The exclusivity is a bit of a disappointing factor in this agreement, as BigBen Interactive were just starting to find their feet and seemed to be on a course of genuine improvement."
-> The exclusivity has always been there. BigBen Interactive (publisher, not game studio) has had the exclusive rights since 2013 and KT Racing, which is the game studio that developed the games for BigBen Interactive, released their first WRC title in 2015 and only now they are starting to "find their feet"? It's too late for them as they've had the chance, did make some significant improvement the past two years but ultimately delivered mediocre quality products. 

• Like 1

About the latest few posts...

I've just finished writing the script for my next video titled: "The Future of the DiRT Rally Franchise - An Educated Guess",
where I will look into past releases within the DiRT franchise and touch on things such as the impact of EA's acquisition of Codemasters and possibly moving onto a new game engine.

All based on what I know and the online research I've done like reading press releases by both corporations and various articles.

Just sent the script to a few people to go over it and provide feedback.
I hope to start recording tomorrow.

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gk9147 said:

where you have this information?

@merseyxshorei hope new info come after grid legends release

well as many of the people here who were close to the " dirt family " you see they are at new jobs or not at codemasters anymore. when they key figures obviously this will effect how dirt is made. also when a company gets taken over brought out often there is restructuring. this maybe whats effecting why we not hearing anything about the next dirt. speculative i know.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes the decisions are pretty unclear to be honest.
- DiRT Rally 2.0 was a succes as a title, and a great succesor to DR1. And i think is a part reason why EA bought codies, but after exactly 3 years since its release we still not know anything about a follow up game, which is pretty sad. DR2 came within/around 3 years after of DR1 and the same team made D4 between it.
- DiRT 4 was a failure, but got a a follow-up title three years after with DiRT 5, which i think is far from a succes as D3/DR1/DR2 are.
- GRiD 2019 was a failure, but somehow gets within 3 years a follow up title with Legends (which tbh looks a bit more promosing).

Also there are now two dev teams that work on the DiRT titles. One is focusing on the arcade style, and the other on the sim (DR1/DR2.0) side. That already should have resulted in a DR3. Why? Because the original DiRT Rally dev team developed within 4 years 3 titles with DR1/D4/DR2.0. But now that same team not even seems to be able to release one title after 3 years after the release of DR2.0?

Also you could question why the new JWRC entry is now under the EA Sports banner. I can understand that maybe there will be different liveries during the season to promote FIFA or F1 or something. But on the other side in marketing they also say to focus on specific groups and dont go to general with your promotion. Removing the DiRT branding, it seemes like last year DiRT promotion was kinda a waiste of money now anyway. Because DiRT 5 was already released for some months, and a new DiRT title hasnt been announced. 

So if the WRC title is the next title of the DiRT Rally dev team, and if rumours are correct this will only come in 2024, this would mean the team have worked on a game for 5 years. That's a timeframe when normally they would have developed and released two games. Also if it would be a WRC content only, it must be the best Rally game ever made, because there would be a lot less models/cars, less classes and also no Rallycross or other types of off-road in the game where resources would need to go to. 

My conlusion is also that after 1,5-2years of gossiping (DLC finished and after got still the Fiesta R5 ofcourse), and 3 years after the release of DR2.0, GRiD Legends being released soon, and a new F1 game somewhere else in the year, I just think there is no hope for DiRT Rally 3 coming anymore. And that despite the article saying that the team is working on a current project before the WRC title. Also because I dont see them coming with DiRT Rally 3 in 2023, a year before the WRC title will come. Especially after years of development.

In the end we will be dissapointed, because in 2023 there will probably be a new Need for Speed or Project Cars game, and because they are all under the banner of EA now, there is no room/competition of releasing a new DiRT Rally title.

I must admit, not all is Codies fault ofcourse. Due to Covid the WRX championship had a lot of troubles and also changed the promoter. The old promotor, IMG, I think supported the DR game quite a lot aswell. Loosing this connection would have probably caused in rethinking the DR title. And maybe this have impacted the development direction. Unfortunate we will never know.