Jump to content Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip

MastaVonBlasta

Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Thierry97 said:

so no dirt rally 3.0 but more time to play the wrc game😊

I prefer DR2 but I don't mind a bit of WRC. Different games...same outcome though. I drive quite well.....think that I need to be going faster.....and drive off a cliff/hit a tree/roll the car.  Just how it should be. 😉

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2022 at 5:48 PM, elrojodp8 said:

I have no problem if the name is EA Sports Rally...as long as it has everything I expect from Dirt Rally 3

yeah. same. I don't see why the WRC and Dirt Rally games can't be the same thing. I'm sure most of us wondered what would happen with this once CM took the WRC licence

the problems I see are:

1. a new WRC/DR game every year.

2. microtransactions

3. less historic content

4. WRC locations only

5. physics that don't live up to DR 1&2

6. if a few games sell poorly due to interference by EA upper management, Codemasters being shut down. EA seems to have better better at not doing this since the BF II fiasco, but it's still EA 😕

• Agree 1

Time will tell. To be fair, since the launch of GRiD Legends, I haven’t heard or see anything anymore about that game. Could be that my YouTube algorithm has shifted its focus on the new LEGO Star Wars game though 😹

If its true that there wont be a new DiRT or DiRT Rally, it would be just completly .... (fill with negative word).

The promises of EA and Codemasters already have been broken then regarding the DiRT title, while bringing out other arcade .... (fill with negative word).

Hoped the sources/info from @SRD_SimVansevenant would be correct. But where ussually smoke is, is fire. 

It is just a shame that Codemasters themselves are that tight lipped about it and just not say there wont be any DiRT game near soon. Al those investments they put in DiRT Rally 2.0 is in the end just for that title, and basically for nothing else. Sponsoring a rally team / Jon with DiRT branding was for nothing. Just a pure waiste of resources. It is cool for Jon ofcourse, but putting half a million euro for a rally programm, while bringing out not a title is just bad ROI.

It is probably sure the WRC title will be somehow good, but i dont think it will be a day one-buy for me if there wont be a new DR/EA Rally title in the meantime. In that case I just supports this hopeless EA strategy who monopolizing the racing genre. I bought DR2.0 of what it is, not because of a certain WRC license or something.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 11:59 AM, stcooza said:

How you guys see wrc esports when CM releases their first licensed wrc game, will they organise it ? And what form we might see then, any reads.. thought ? 

i just hope it is better organized than the current running WRC one

• Social Media & Community Team
17 hours ago, fokuzx2 said:

i just hope it is better organized than the current running WRC one

Can you elaborate?

I know they have an esports programme and did a little bit of research, but I'm not as deeply involved in it as I was our own. 🙂 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:47 AM, PJTierney said:

Can you elaborate?

I know they have an esports programme and did a little bit of research, but I'm not as deeply involved in it as I was our own. 🙂 

where to start...i am the team manager of team GRF. we are racing on all platforms. well, first i never got any sort of feedback if they accepted our application. never received an email or anything (also they never reacted when my career progress was suddenly gone). then the events are only a couple of stages and no full rallyes (like i think it should be). and the worst...NO cross platform leaderboards. basically we have absolutely no clue where we are standing and most players have stopped doing the event. i think no only the top 3-4 teams care and the rest turned their backs on the whole event. for a WRC branded game it is an absolute shame. 

On 5/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, PJTierney said:

Can you elaborate?

My interest lies on how they tried this season to extend the amount of the stages from 2 per event to 3 per event, in form of one very long stage and 2 mid or short stages which is good but the players start to complain about the 3 stages to practice so they back to tow stages.. from this point I always don’t mind to extend the total length more and more, but the practice will always be the problem, because whenever you put more length you need more and more time to practice everything which is sick and boring, in first place you don’t have to do that especially in rally sport. 

So the EA takeover gets more !@#$. Now the Cheshire studio of Codies have been taken over by Criterion, the Need For Speed developer. 

Not that this has direct implication for the DiRT Rally / WRC game as the Cheshire studio was responsible for DiRT 5. But overall it doesnt look good for the DiRT franchise. First it seems the new DiRT Rally 3 has been delayed and than cancelled (as it looks likes now) and now also the other DiRT (arcade) looks to being stopped. 

It more and more seems like hostile takeover of Codemasters. Grab what you can and kill what costs, just for their own IP (in this case NFS), and at the same time kill some competition.

It makes me sad that especially DiRT Rally was a good way with an huge investment in building the brand with the 2.0 title. It all seems a waiste of time and money. 

I hope a new studio will be started with and bring new life to DiRT Rally (ofcourse with a new name).

RIP Codemasters. 

14 minutes ago, Rogerbee said:

I'm honestly surprised this forum is still here. If everything you say is true then there's nothing DiRTy to gossip about.

The forums been dead for a few years. But CM still got the WRC license, so they'll do that. As to the Dirt arcade titles... D5 was pretty mediocre and not as good as the original trilogy so it wouldn't surprise me if EA killed it entirely.

I don't know if I said it here, but Cheshire is definitely folded into Criterion, who EA basically killed to become a support studio. I doubt Criterion is what they used to be after so long not making their own products. I fully expect the new NFS title to not meet EAs expectations no matter how well it does and they shutter the studio after 2 or 3 games. Seems to be the way NFS devs work for the past 15 or so years. Meanwhile there's been a growing interest in wanting Burnout and similar arcade titles to make a revival, but EA leaves that dead in the water.

3 hours ago, JZStudios said:

The forums been dead for a few years. But CM still got the WRC license, so they'll do that. As to the Dirt arcade titles... D5 was pretty mediocre and not as good as the original trilogy so it wouldn't surprise me if EA killed it entirely.

I don't know if I said it here, but Cheshire is definitely folded into Criterion, who EA basically killed to become a support studio. I doubt Criterion is what they used to be after so long not making their own products. I fully expect the new NFS title to not meet EAs expectations no matter how well it does and they shutter the studio after 2 or 3 games. Seems to be the way NFS devs work for the past 15 or so years. Meanwhile there's been a growing interest in wanting Burnout and similar arcade titles to make a revival, but EA leaves that dead in the water.

For me, Burnout died after 3 and there's no way they'll get that magic back. If Codies, in whatever form they end up in, can deliver anything like DR in the new WRC games then they'll be on track. One day, we will be chatting about this on an EA forum......

Edited by Rogerbee

9 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

For me, Burnout died after 3 and there's no way they'll get that magic back. If Codies, in whatever form they end up in, can deliver anything like DR in the new WRC games then they'll be on track. One day, we will be chatting about this on an EA forum......

I only started trying to play Revenge on the emulator, and I'm not huge on the traffic checking mechanic. I will die on the hill that Paradise is a fantastic game with an incredible map. It takes all the well known locations (From the US region) of prior games and blended them all seamlessly into one huge map. They then took that potential and squandered it by making the races "open world" with only having 8 end points so you always end up taking the same routes. They should've done like 3 and had big glowing arrow walls and actual track layouts. They even did that to a small extent with the bikes by adding actual checkpoint races that were much more interesting.

The console version of Paradise might have been good, but, I didn't get on with the PC version at all. Even though I was using a DS4, I just couldn't get the boost to work when I wanted to. I could ace it when playing 3 on the PS2.

Rallying is better with an XBox One pad, I slashed my times on DR2 when I worked that out.

6 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

The console version of Paradise might have been good, but, I didn't get on with the PC version at all. Even though I was using a DS4, I just couldn't get the boost to work when I wanted to. I could ace it when playing 3 on the PS2.

Rallying is better with an XBox One pad, I slashed my times on DR2 when I worked that out.

I've never had a problem with it on PC. Played it a few times on console, then a couple times on PC.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:32 PM, F2CMaDMaXX said:

I must have missed 60 minutes...

Where does it say that the Cheshire studio (D5 studio who came from that other car game that Codies bought) was taken over?  where does it say it was folded into Criterion? 

It pretty much was folded into Criterion

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-05-12-ea-expands-criterion-with-codemasters-cheshire-team

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/1524704763010502657