Jump to content Jump to content

I was standing around the our farm at home earlier this year when I suddenly heard a noise, looked round and the Vulcan came over head, absolutely amazing noise and sight! Was lucky to see it flying over silverstone a few years back too
Frightening noise when you're not expecting it. 
My girlfriend's parents live out in the sticks outside Peterborough, and a Lancaster bomber sometimes flies over head, really low, due to there being several RAF bases nearby. Now that is a frightening noise, but wow, so immense. 
4x Merlin engines, nom nom nom!
I was standing around the our farm at home earlier this year when I suddenly heard a noise, looked round and the Vulcan came over head, absolutely amazing noise and sight! Was lucky to see it flying over silverstone a few years back too
Frightening noise when you're not expecting it. 
My girlfriend's parents live out in the sticks outside Peterborough, and a Lancaster bomber sometimes flies over head, really low, due to there being several RAF bases nearby. Now that is a frightening noise, but wow, so immense. 
That'd be the BBMF chaps from RAF Coningsby. Acquainted with a few through Twitter. One of the guys who flew the Spitfire and Hurricane a few years ago was the same guy that took James May up in a Eurofighter Typhoon.
There's only two airworthy Lancasters in the world and the other one is in Canada (though it did make a visit last year for some amazing photo ops. First time Lancasters had flown in formation for over 50 years.)
Then all 3 Avro Sisters got together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEV5i-Kw4qI

Sadly all over now. XH558 has now flown more hours than any other and has gone too far into the realm of uncertainty when it comes to airframe life.
Maintenance support has been withdrawn, so she's grounded forever and will be relegated to fast taxi runs.

Anyway