Jump to content Jump to content

I think it will be mainly, if not entirely focused on rally and rallycross, maybe with some trailblazer/hillclimb
This is what I'm hoping for. Licensed World Rallycross content, a mixture of rallies and the occasional blast up Pikes Peak would be my idea of DiRT perfection!
tbtstt said:
I think it will be mainly, if not entirely focused on rally and rallycross, maybe with some trailblazer/hillclimb
This is what I'm hoping for. Licensed World Rallycross content, a mixture of rallies and the occasional blast up Pikes Peak would be my idea of DiRT perfection!
I do like the other modes as a break, but if the other content is good enough I'll be very happy! Can't wait to find out on Tuesday!
dotmartin said:
Rallycross is fun but I want cars with rear lights. What do we need to do to stop the trend of everyone and everything moving from rally to RX? #rxgate
Not sure if there is that much of a shift really, I just think rallycross is shifting back into the public conscience again, especially with the arrival of the new (and very heavily promoted) World Championship. In the meantime the WRC is suffering at the hands of very poor promotion. I personally don't think the following for rallycross will ever outgrow that of rally, but at present I think rallycross is doing a better job of capturing the casual motorsport fan.

(That's my view anyway, sure others will disagree!)
I think a lot of people can't be bothered to follow a three day long rally, whereas rallycross is a lot easier to follow that's probably how most casual Motorsport fans view it any way
Yeah, I'd say that's a fair statement (though I don't think it has to be that way).

In terms of attendance figures I still don't think there is any comparison.  Even with the current levels of promotion, I'm sure the attendance for the average WRC round far eclipses that of the equivalent rallycross round. The French and Swedish World Rallycross rounds claimed "record" crowds with 30,000, yet I'm sure the WRC rounds in those countries had far, far, more spectators. Even at a National level I suspect any British Rally Championship round will have attracted more spectators than the World Rallycross at Lydden.

Perhaps that will change if the World Rallycross Championship gathers momentum, but I think it will have to grow a hell of a lot (and/or WRC would have to fall a long way) for the number of physical spectators to be equal. 

In terms of social media and the casual motorsport fan though... I'm not so sure if the split is so great. IMG seem to have really embraced digital media, where as Red Bull seem to be spending all their time dreaming up gimmicks rather than better promoting the sport they have. 
tbtstt said:
Not sure if there is that much of a shift really, I just think rallycross is shifting back into the public conscience again, especially with the arrival of the new (and very heavily promoted) World Championship. In the meantime the WRC is suffering at the hands of very poor promotion. I personally don't think the following for rallycross will ever outgrow that of rally, but at present I think rallycross is doing a better job of capturing the casual motorsport fan.

(That's my view anyway, sure others will disagree!)
Maybe this shift is mainly going on in Sweden. A lot of our promising rally drivers have switched from the World Rally scene to that of rally cross. I understand it from a business point of view, probably a bit easier to get a budget to do it. 

However, add some basesball caps, skateboards and energy drinks to the rally scene and we might get a shift back in the, according to me, right direction. 
Some of my favourite replies from @JonTucker‌ 's Twitter call for questions:

https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/525365524092682241

https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/525355912144633857

https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/525367709866135552
https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/525367846348795905

I'm trying really hard to contain my excitement, but all signs are saying that something is up, something has changed. Would we see one of the devs openly asking and answering questions two months ago?
Were there any invites for a play test? Tweets about the game having been signed off?

F1 2014 is released, the F1 devs are purposefully quiet on the F1 2015. Now is time for DiRT. YEAH.

Right then guys lets make a date for this thing.

Then as an optional extra if you guys want we can go out to that place that does the awesome burgers in Leamington for some food and a beer, but bring your wallets because I love you guys... just not overdraft love you :P 

Like I'd said previously too, if you're considering hopping on a plane or driving 600 miles to get here I would feel bad that you had to go to such a great length but at the same time you guys are more than welcome

So how is Tuesday the 28th October for everyone?

If you can't make that date but do 100% want to come sometime between the 27th and 31st then let me know which date suits you best and if it suits the group I'll look at moving the date.

OK over to you.

Is it too late to respond to this? And, if not, does having already visited (if only for a short period) rule me out? :D

With @Kick_up and @Jontucker into rallying I think it is already 100% sure that the focus wont be only at Rallycross,
Although a combination of Rallycross ( offical championship), stage rallying championship ( perhaps ERC championship?) and hill climb would be more realistic and it will make a game more diverse, and for a wide audience who are all rally minded.

Because after all, Hillclimb cars, Rallycross cars are mainly build as rallycar, but modified.
In other words, the basic of those 3 sports is rally. ( as u can see for example the Ford RS200 is used in all 3 sports, but was build as Group B Rallycar. ( same for many other cars)

Beside that If u take the focus away from just stage rally or just rallycross, a much wider audience will buy it = more sales.

I do think that's not a bad idea, although I would rather see a rally/ rallycross game , just those 2 discipline but that's just my opinion.

Although I think it doesn't really mather as long as their is a good/ long career online/ offline game play.
As I described in http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/43/idea-wrc-ultimate-rallyteam-explained/p1

If u will make that gameplay good, with ( what codemasters is already spoiling) a good build realistic gameplay, in combination with dlc's and new tracks/ rallies , u can make this game live for ages, instead one peak at the beginning sales.

I think that's also the key to those successful games these days, to make one good game for a long time playingtime + fun instead of short gameplay over and over.

Beside that If u take the focus away from just stage rally or just rallycross, a much wider audience will buy it = more sales.

I do think that's not a bad idea, although I would rather see a rally/ rallycross game , just those 2 discipline but that's just my opinion.

Although I think it doesn't really mather as long as their is a good/ long career online/ offline game play.
As I described in http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/43/idea-wrc-ultimate-rallyteam-explained/p1

If u will make that gameplay good, with ( what codemasters is already spoiling) a good build realistic gameplay, in combination with dlc's and new tracks/ rallies , u can make this game live for ages, instead one peak at the beginning sales.

I think that's also the key to those successful games these days, to make one good game for a long time playingtime + fun instead of short gameplay over and over.

@ThierryNeuville‌ I agree with you 100%

I think if they would Re-Make DiRT2 minus the gate crash runs and these types of arcade events, I really like the Raid, Rally, Rallycross events a lot.  I DO want it to be stage rally focused and improved to what we want from that, however, like you said a little variety do improve sales.  These other events plus hill climb are very similar (but adding Trucks/Buggys to the mix).  

Also you said about the DLCs giving the game more life.  I think DLCs are a bit more cost effective (guessing?), but it doesn't seem to be so much the trend for AAA titles.  I can't think of an example right now that a big game that after a year is still getting DLCs produced?

Rallycross isn't my preference. If I want circuit racing there is plenty of that in GA.

OK, so the rallycross cars do handle differently, and the circuits are tighter. But I would hate to see a new game dominated by rallycross or even 50% rallycross.

Trailblazer is a bit different for me. There is no discipline like this in other games and I enjoy it a lot. But my guess is that it is very expensive to develop (rally as well) compared with rally cross, as to make a track that can last a long time takes forever because of the speed of the car. The dallenbachs in dirt 2 were amazing.

I think a lot of the complaining about Dirt3 was about gymkhana. I actually quite liked the power station, it was good fun for racing around and learning how to control the car, but for me the gymkhana was a bit of a pain to have to do in career mode.

And to me this is the thing, if you are going to put in disciplines of very different type (for example gymkhana is very different to trailblazer/rally) then you need to somehow be able to select those out of career mode if you don't like them, otherwise they become a pain if you have to complete them and don't like them. Of course this could make the career mode a lot shorter.

I fear for rally games. I love playing rally and the rally on Dirt3 was great. But the cost of making the stages must be very big. There seems to be a decrease in rally content that is consistent with graphical detail improvement. So my guess is any new game may look very pretty, but the content will be really limited. There are only two ways forward on this to me, vastly improve the amount of effort to make stages (stuff like direct digitisation for example) or crowdsource.  
I liked the Speed Runs in Dirt 3, where the driving actually got technical.
Say what you want about Milestone's WRC series, but the one thing they nailed was that they got the stages right.
That's what I'd like to see in the next Dirt game.
Most of the stages in the last couple versions have all been too flat, too wide, and too straight for my taste.
I want narrow, twisty roads that are constantly trying to throw me into the trees, or into a ditch, not something I can floor the throttle on, and forget about it for long periods of time.
I spend a lot of time in 1st and 2nd gear on WRC and RBR.
In Dirt I rarely have to shift below 3rd gear.
ARCNoOne said:
I liked the Speed Runs in Dirt 3, where the driving actually got technical.
Say what you want about Milestone's WRC series, but the one thing they nailed was that they got the stages right.
That's what I'd like to see in the next Dirt game.
Most of the stages in the last couple versions have all been too flat, too wide, and too straight for my taste.
I want narrow, twisty roads that are constantly trying to throw me into the trees, or into a ditch, not something I can floor the throttle on, and forget about it for long periods of time.
I spend a lot of time in 1st and 2nd gear on WRC and RBR.
In Dirt I rarely have to shift below 3rd gear.
I find the WRC 3&4 game stages far too twisty, I wish we had the dirt 3 stage design with WRC tightness and rbr physics. *orgasm*
I'm dying to find out what 'that car' is

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/525697087904948224

It ist pretty nice to see lots of people commenting on the DiRT and Codemasters FB pages saying that they're waiting for DiRT4 too!
Oh I wanna know too! :D Maybe it's Loeb's Peugeot for the Pikes Peak hillclimb? It's a proper beast:

DiRT Facebook page comments are one of the funniest/most interesting place on the planet :P People were surprised that Toybox Turbos is not DiRT 4... ;] (although the logo looks very similar to DiRT Showdown...)

Reading the comments made me less surprised to see the confirmation of DiRT 4:
https://www.facebook.com/dirtgame/photos/a.231832723555970.56129.132609796811597/756819067723997/?type=1&reply_comment_id=756915217714382&total_comments=1
I'm dying to find out what 'that car' is

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/525697087904948224

It ist pretty nice to see lots of people commenting on the DiRT and Codemasters FB pages saying that they're waiting for DiRT4 too!
I think the "bleeped" out word symbols are a code! 

Hmmm... thats why they are called CODEmasters, nothing about computers, more about enigma.