Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney

The NDA is a complicated bit of paper, as a blanket rule its easier not to talk about anything full stop but I didn't want that to lock the guys out of the forum all together. 

I have told them what they can and can't say (which is next to nothing) and to ask me before posing anything if they aren't sure if they should say it but I did stress not to talk in riddles or drop hints. I know you guys all want to know, believe me we all want to tell you but for now could you go easy on the guys who came in and not try and read into what they are saying too much. It could land them in a lot of trouble and more importantly me in a lot of trouble and I'm fast running out of lives  :p
Thanks for the explanation @justbiglee - I understand that a standard NDA wouldn't be changed for this occasion...

I wish we could get a hint on when the lucky trio will be ungagged...? 

P.S. This is PAGE 50 of DiRTy Gossip - it seems that people who are eagerly waiting for the next game have a wild imagination...
2 more posts until 1000! Is this the biggest thread on the whole CM forum?
No you need to go to the Off topic section to see the biggest threads. ;)
I just hope this subforum won't get runover by 'casuals' (can't think of a proper word) ones DiRT 4 is released, like what happened on the GRID subform after GAS got released. Loads of people just come there having a big mouth and complain about whatnot. While here there are fans of the series having a nice time and supporting the developers/community managers.
I just hope this subforum won't get runover by 'casuals' (can't think of a proper word) ones DiRT 4 is released, like what happened on the GRID subform after GAS got released. Loads of people just come there having a big mouth and complain about whatnot. While here there are fans of the series having a nice time and supporting the developers/community managers.
Yeah I hope that doesn't happen too. A lot of us have been active on this forum for a long time now! I think I've been on the Codies forums since about 2010!
Yeah I hope that doesn't happen too. A lot of us have been active on this forum for a long time now! I think I've been on the Codies forums since about 2010!
Yea same here, probably since DiRT 3 announcement in late 2010. Else justbiglee might have to make us a private veteran subforum or something :P
It just crossed my mind that maybe Codies are aiming to announce the new game in two weeks time, to coincide with Wales Rally GB? If Welsh stages are in the game then it would make sense.

But that depends on when the release is scheduled for. There's no news about the next WRC game so should Codies steal the WRC finale show? Yes.
Apologies for being so slow posting my contribution, but I have been without proper internet access since my day at Codemasters!

I'm largely repeating what has been said already, but a massive thanks to @justbiglee‌, @kickup and all the guys at Codemasters responsible for last week. It was a great insight into what is going on, plus a great opportunity to put faces to names among both CM staff and forum members: some of whom I've been communicating with over the internet for some time now.

I daresay it was slightly less overwhelming for @Rallycameraman‌ (who has visited before), but for @RallyDriven‌ and myself there was a lot to absorb. You guys are obviously well aware of the NDA, so I can say very little, but I believe I am not overstepping the mark telling you that I lost count of the number of times during the day that we were shown or told something that reminded me of a comment or conversation on the forum.

dotmartin said:
[...] but it's something which is very exciting for a rally and gaming fan like my self. 
That to me is the most exciting news comming indirectly from the DiRT team since it became apparent that they where working on a new title at all. Thanks for sharing!

I do hope we can keep the speculations on a good level even after the loss of @Rallycameraman‌ , @RallyDriven‌ and @tbtstt‌ to the NDA. 
Rest assured, although some areas of conversation I can engage in are limited, I will still be present on the forum: and in this thread! :)

@tbtstt‌   

Thanks for the input for what you could say.  Its always encouraging to hear stuff like this, even if they are little crumbs left on the plate of a great meal, its still news.

As far as you internet connection.  Rest assured that the all powerful Codies can flip that switch again if you talk to much! :smiley: 

Thanks again!
The NDA is a complicated bit of paper, as a blanket rule its easier not to talk about anything full stop but I didn't want that to lock the guys out of the forum all together. 

I have told them what they can and can't say (which is next to nothing) and to ask me before posing anything if they aren't sure if they should say it but I did stress not to talk in riddles or drop hints. I know you guys all want to know, believe me we all want to tell you but for now could you go easy on the guys who came in and not try and read into what they are saying too much. It could land them in a lot of trouble and more importantly me in a lot of trouble and I'm fast running out of lives  :p
Thanks for the explanation @justbiglee - I understand that a standard NDA wouldn't be changed for this occasion...

I wish we could get a hint on when the lucky trio will be ungagged...? 

P.S. This is PAGE 50 of DiRTy Gossip - it seems that people who are eagerly waiting for the next game have a wild imagination...
2 more posts until 1000! Is this the biggest thread on the whole CM forum?
Not by a long shot, but good effort  :p. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/33/the-stuff-thread#latest
Overheard in Codies F1 games forum section: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/57658/#Comment_57658

@Hatta : Right now there's no plans to announce anything this year. That's all I can say. 

Could this be the window for DiRT game news? What else would Codies have to talk about between now and whenever F1 2015 news are ready to appear? Oh please please! :D 

Hughesy said:
Not by a long shot, but good effort  :p. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/33/the-stuff-thread#latest
In terms of number of pages/replies we're nowhere near, but in number of views this thread turned out to be quite big! Maybe it's us, 20 ultra fanatics, that keep on refreshing this thread or maybe there's general interest and anticipation for the next game :) 
I think I look at this thread about 5 times a day to see if anyone has posted some new information or some crazy guesses at some of the hints that have been dropped in the past haha
Same here, multiple times a day I come here to see if there's any news on DiRT 3 'conversion' or DiRT 4 :P
My name is GFRally and I am a DiRTy Gossip Forum addict....   

Lord help us all!  
i read this long topic since the beginning. im a huge dirt rally fan . i played all rally games from codemasters. But im dissapointed after so much teasing from you Dirt Team this year and the valentine day teaser, that We CANT at least get any hint when we will learn any information about the next dirt game. i think you tease us too much and too soon. we deserve to know something. im dissapointed by your way to advertise and marketing games. you should learn much about that and looking the marketing strategies from others games companies. Anyway i cant say anything bad about your rally games, they all rocks and I love all of them even dirt 3 and dirtshown all your rally games even showdown  beat all wrc games by a long shot. youre champions a out making theses games but i cant say the same thing about your marketing departement. its just no sense to tease things about a dirt 4 game for a so long time. Something or someone in this company make a bads marketing strategies. anyway its just my opinion.

i dont post much in these forum but i read everything like a lot of people do. Im from Canada, Montreal , but we still love rally games and seeing rally races at television in Canada, when RDS tv station can show them ;) not often. Some of my friends loves your rally games like me and a lot. In the PS3-Xbox360 generation I played ALL racing games possible on each console. and the dirt rally serie was my favorites serie of all racing games in this last generation. you are really code masters ! ;)  Even Dirt 3 and Showdown was great not as good as dirt 2 and dirt 1 but still GREAT! people that treat you very badly about theses games , are not real racing fans. they are all great racing rally games with differents ideas. 

the first game i bought from codemasters is Big Nose for Nes and i still have it and love it ;) is someone in your company that work  on this old game that still work for codemasters today ? Love the micromachines games too cant wait to try turbos toybox. Unfortunately i loves pretty all your games except Grid 2 but i love the first one
Hey @renejr902,

Thanks for the post, think it might be worth trying to give you an insight into how DiRT has been for the last year or so.

First up, there is no strategy - and I'm not even joking. As it stands at the moment I'm the only person in the marketing department really working on DiRT and its been that way for quite a while. It's not an easy task, and I know that sounds daft because the actual doing it is what just looks like Twitter and Facebook but the trick is not to get people over excited... but still keep them interested.

Now I'll confess I deliberately poke the bear once in a while and I'd like to think a lot of the guys who post on here know that but it's a balancing act, I don't want people to forget DiRT exists and I don't want you guys to vanish into the distance.

Take the DiRT Facebook and Twitter pages this last few weeks, we just released F1 and the expectation is that we'll announce DiRT next - so as not to get peoples hopes up I go quiet. I hate having to go quiet :(

Believe me all I want to do is to be talking about the game, I can't wait to tell you guys what "that car" is and all the other secrets. Part of me thinks I actually could just tell you it all now, even though its not all nailed down I trust that you guys could handle the info like adults. But if I did give up anything, even just a date (or a loose window) it would be up on the gaming news sites and I'd be getting a telling off. 

Personally I don't agree with it, like I said I could talk to death about the game - I would have something different to talk about every day between now and release. I could start now even! But that would start falling down when you guys started wanting to see a trailer, car lists, screenshots, things like that. Those kind of things are controlled by the licensing with the car manufactures and some have very strict rules about what can and can't be shown. Everything has to go through them first.

So we do what we can, we sail pretty close to the wind to give you guys an idea of what we're doing and I like to think that you guys have a pretty good idea of what we're doing (you just don't have confirmation).

So I am sorry to you and to all the others that feel this way, rest assured this week I started work on my actual marketing plan for DiRT, and it will be the last time I start the bloody thing too!

I really hope we do you guys proud and you have my word I'll tell you the story one day.

I'm open to questions on the above or anything related too - just post them up and I'll answer as best I can :)
@justbiglee‌ wow, that's about as open of a post as I have seen in a long while.  Thanks for the insight, the more I follow the development(?) of the next DiRT game I understand how hamstrung different entities keep the you.  

I would have to say that I am still for an early access release with even 1 car it would be great to get entry level car to play with, and maybe other cars could be released as manufacturers allow.  But that's not my decision, just voicing it.  I am sure this would be done if it was possible, it sounds like the team is open to the idea, but for many reasons it cannot happen.  Maybe I'm just inadvertently causing trouble here too.  

But again looking forward to whatever you can post.  
Great post mate :) sure that's cleared up a few things. It's a shame you cant show some of the most dedicated contributors to this thread, some of the stuff we got to see last week at HQ. I can't wait for the launch (whenever that is) and to see the flood of information that will come from yourself, Paul, Jon and many others of the DiRT team. 
Hey @renejr902,

Thanks for the post, think it might be worth trying to give you an insight into how DiRT has been for the last year or so.

First up, there is no strategy - and I'm not even joking. As it stands at the moment I'm the only person in the marketing department really working on DiRT and its been that way for quite a while. It's not an easy task, and I know that sounds daft because the actual doing it is what just looks like Twitter and Facebook but the trick is not to get people over excited... but still keep them interested.

Now I'll confess I deliberately poke the bear once in a while and I'd like to think a lot of the guys who post on here know that but it's a balancing act, I don't want people to forget DiRT exists and I don't want you guys to vanish into the distance.

Take the DiRT Facebook and Twitter pages this last few weeks, we just released F1 and the expectation is that we'll announce DiRT next - so as not to get peoples hopes up I go quiet. I hate having to go quiet :(

Believe me all I want to do is to be talking about the game, I can't wait to tell you guys what "that car" is and all the other secrets. Part of me thinks I actually could just tell you it all now, even though its not all nailed down I trust that you guys could handle the info like adults. But if I did give up anything, even just a date (or a loose window) it would be up on the gaming news sites and I'd be getting a telling off. 

Personally I don't agree with it, like I said I could talk to death about the game - I would have something different to talk about every day between now and release. I could start now even! But that would start falling down when you guys started wanting to see a trailer, car lists, screenshots, things like that. Those kind of things are controlled by the licensing with the car manufactures and some have very strict rules about what can and can't me shown. Everything has to go through them first.

So we do what we can, we sail pretty close to the wind to give you guys an idea of what we're doing and I like to think that you guys have a pretty good idea of what we're doing (you just don't have confirmation).

So I am sorry to you and to all the others that feel this way, rest assured this week I started work on my actual marketing plan for DiRT, and it will be the last time I start the bloody thing too!

I really hope we do you guys proud and you have my word I'll tell you the story one day.

I'm open to questions on the above or anything related too - just post them up and I'll answer as best I can :)
Sounds tough being the only Community manager in the PR department for the DiRT section. Hopefully we hear something soon about the next rally title so keep up the good work. :)
Hey @renejr902,

Personally I don't agree with it, like I said I could talk to death about the game - I would have something different to talk about every day between now and release. I could start now even! But that would start falling down when you guys started wanting to see a trailer, car lists, screenshots, things like that. Those kind of things are controlled by the licensing with the car manufactures and some have very strict rules about what can and can't me shown. Everything has to go through them first.

Sounds tough being the only Community manager in the PR department for the DiRT section. Hopefully we hear something soon about the next rally title so keep up the good work. :)
Community and PR are different things (at least at Codemasters they are) both departments fit under the collective umbrella of what is the brand department but PR is about dealing with the press and corporate partners to some degree where as my job is talking with you guys.

It's not just DiRT I do either, along with Ben, Luke and Sam we tend to the other Codemasters social accounts, that's replying to people as much as we can and finding/creating content to post up too. I also help the others out when they need it with stuff, we're are also working together on Toybox Turbos while planning stuff (which is a similar amount of work to what I'm about to list below) for other things, then there is the reporting on those things I just mentioned. Then along with the rest of the team we maintain our community press/blogger list, the codies blog, this place, do some customer support stuff.  Then at some point in the day somebody will throw a spanner in the works and ask for a report or a plan for something thats important and all the stuff we we're doing needs to be parked for a while.

Then there's my actual DiRT stuff that you guys don't see which so far this week has consisted of:
  • Meetings with Paul and James on ironing out a plan ;) (dunno if you guys would know James but he's the creative director for Codemasters at Southam - I'm sure he reads here so hi James! - I'll introduce you guys to him at some point)
  • Meeting with Paul about this cool rewards idea we've had
  • Emailing the right people about our cool rewards idea to see if it's possible
  • Many very lengthy and heated discussions on what our "Hero car" should be (feel free to offer suggestions)
  • Emails about the heated discussions
  • Scrum meetings in studio with Paul, Darren and the rest of the team
  • Coming up with an idea and rough design for a new DiRT website
  • I had a DiRT meeting today for like an hour on something... I hope I wrote some of it down because I think I might have blacked out
  • Having discussions about a feature I really want to get in the game, its a "nice to have" (and I do think it's pretty cool) but if its going to come at the cost of something I know you guys have asked for then it'll have to be shelved until a later date.
  • Researching how others have used said feature so I can put across a strong case should it come down to it
  • Talking with a drivers agent about a thing
  • .....which has just reminded me I need to talk to the FY Racing guys about a competition
  • All while trying to come up with a community plan (think of it as a plan for the things I want to do with you guys and the wider audience - its the same thing as the marketing plan I mentioned above) by next Friday because I'm off the week after for my Birthday
  • Making a new presentation deck for my community plan because the one that somebody else made was no good for what I needed it for
  • Then there is talking to the rest of the community team about this stuff and keeping them up to date, a lot of the time one of the others has already found a solution to a problem on a previous game and if they haven't we work together on finding one - which is why I love working with Sam, Luke and Ben.
  • I also pop into the studio on regular intervals, crack a joke, spin around on a chair, distract somebody from doing important work, then wonder back to my desk.
and it's only Wednesday.

Not that I mean to sound like I'm complaining about any of that, I do honestly love doing DiRT (some of the reporting stuff I could do without :P ) - it's a dream come true and I owe it to you guys, the dev team and myself to make sure its as kick ass experience off the track as it is on it. It's just a lot of that stuff takes me away from doing the public facing stuff which is why I go quiet in peaks and troughs, its also why I'm posting at 10 to 1 in the morning so I should probably go to bed.

Nunnites x

Hey @renejr902,

Personally I don't agree with it, like I said I could talk to death about the game - I would have something different to talk about every day between now and release. I could start now even! But that would start falling down when you guys started wanting to see a trailer, car lists, screenshots, things like that. Those kind of things are controlled by the licensing with the car manufactures and some have very strict rules about what can and can't be shown. Everything has to go through them first.

Wow ! Thanks a lot Justbiglee for all these information ! Dont feel sad i understand you cant say whatever you want. im 35 years old , i know how things work in a big company like Codemasters. You have to respect their marketing decisions , you dont have choice ;)

thanks for letting us know your work at Codies with a lot of details its very appreciated. I follow Twitter too, your account and Dirt one too. 

I know your next Dirt Game will be Great , i will wait the time you need to finish it ;)

Thanks again for everything !!! And im really sorry for my bad english , my first language is french ! ( sorry my last quote is not attached to my post )
  justbiglee said:
  • Many very lengthy and heated discussions on what our "Hero car" should be (feel free to offer suggestions)
and it's only Wednesday.

Not that I mean to sound like I'm complaining about any of that, I do honestly love doing DiRT (some of the reporting stuff I could do without :P ) - it's a dream come true and I owe it to you guys, the dev team and myself to make sure its as kick ass experience off the track as it is on it. It's just a lot of that stuff takes me away from doing the public facing stuff which is why I go quiet in peaks and troughs, its also why I'm posting at 10 to 1 in the morning so I should probably go to bed.

Nunnites x

A Hero car? guess I am not alloud to bugg with the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05, @Kick_up ;-)
Just kidding, I think the best about a Hero car is something that is from you own country,... well Ford isnt really Englisch,... but M-Sport is!,.... so I think the Ford Fiesta (R2, R5 or WRC) would be a perfect concept for a hero car! After all, (beside Subaru) Colin McRae got really famouse with Ford.

Although i really would love to see a Peugeot as Hero car ( for example the Peugeot 208 T16 ) or 207, or 206 RC o:)  

Time flies when u are having fun, and i guess its also a lot amout of work to put everything together!.
Anyway hope u slept well Because its already! Thursday! :D