Jump to content Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip


MastaVonBlasta
 Share

Go to solution Solved by PJTierney,
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

 

 

Recommended Posts

bogani said:
TuliRally said:
I don't understand why the RX physics aren't the same as the rally physics. 
I would also like to know is there differences and what under the hood, and do rally cars also use same Cooper tire model & info that is used in RX or something else.
Wrote this on another thread also, but i'm just curious about this.

Game itself will be great anyway, but to me there is just something wonderful to know how things work and why. That's why the curiosity. (Especially when people are praising RX, and you would think the handling be the same with Rally (gravel & tarmac in both), but those are quite different cars though...)

Edit: now just read about Dirtfish areaa gravel feeling different. Interesting
Umm.. anybody that has the game. Was there a way to make your own "stages" to Dirtfish area, or is my memory pulling tricks on me again.? Some timed events or similar
Dirtfish contains mostly tarmac plus what I would assume tarmac with some loose gravel over it. There is also a section with more gravel, but I guess it's a different type of gravel to what's on the actual stages.

It's great fun throwing the cars around in Dirtfish, I can do that all day long :)
That sounds great! Dirtfish is something i'm waiting quite a lot. Hoping to do some cross-class rally testing there. Choosing routes as stages, timing them (old school if i need to) while driving different car classes to see which is fastest overall. 
Can R5 win RX cars, how fast will crosscarts be etc.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TuliRally said:
KickUp said:
TuliRally said:
I don't understand why the RX physics aren't the same as the rally physics. 
I would also like to know is there differences and what under the hood, and do rally cars also use same Cooper tire model & info that is used in RX or something else.
Wrote this on another thread also, but i'm just curious about this.

Game itself will be great anyway, but to me there is just something wonderful to know how things work and why. That's why the curiosity. (Especially when people are praising RX, and you would think the handling be the same with Rally (gravel & tarmac in both), but those are quite different cars though...)
The Cooper tyre model is only used in RX. It's a crossply tyre and is quite different to what is used in Rally and Landrush. 
Thanks for the quick answer again and bringing these facts up. 
It's really great to see the amount of work done to make it correct especially when it is so unique to RX vs other disciplines in the game. I think it shows some serious dedication from the devs side!
And i have now learned something new again!

Would you like or consider to work similarly in-depth what you did with Cooper, with some manufacturer regarding Rally tires in future or have you even already done so? 


Absolutely but the data is not readily available.
The rigs used to test tarmac tyres simply don't apply to loose surfaces as they are designed to simulate an abrasive sealed surface.
How a gravel tyre cuts into a loose surface is entirely different. Then there is the incredibly complex matter of the depth and density of the loose surfaces that the tyre cuts into. 
This is why we rely on drivers like Kris Meeke giving us feedback on how the cars feel on the various loose surfaces. He has a great deal of experience competing in a number of modern and classic cars that we represent in game. He helped us refine the experience to what we have today. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

KickUp said:
TuliRally said:
KickUp said:
TuliRally said:
I don't understand why the RX physics aren't the same as the rally physics. 
I would also like to know is there differences and what under the hood, and do rally cars also use same Cooper tire model & info that is used in RX or something else.
Wrote this on another thread also, but i'm just curious about this.

Game itself will be great anyway, but to me there is just something wonderful to know how things work and why. That's why the curiosity. (Especially when people are praising RX, and you would think the handling be the same with Rally (gravel & tarmac in both), but those are quite different cars though...)
The Cooper tyre model is only used in RX. It's a crossply tyre and is quite different to what is used in Rally and Landrush. 
Thanks for the quick answer again and bringing these facts up. 
It's really great to see the amount of work done to make it correct especially when it is so unique to RX vs other disciplines in the game. I think it shows some serious dedication from the devs side!
And i have now learned something new again!

Would you like or consider to work similarly in-depth what you did with Cooper, with some manufacturer regarding Rally tires in future or have you even already done so? 


Absolutely but the data is not readily available.
The rigs used to test tarmac tyres simply don't apply to loose surfaces as they are designed to simulate an abrasive sealed surface.
How a gravel tyre cuts into a loose surface is entirely different. Then there is the incredibly complex matter of the depth and density of the loose surfaces that the tyre cuts into. 
This is why we rely on drivers like Kris Meeke giving us feedback on how the cars feel on the various loose surfaces. He has a great deal of experience competing in a number of modern and classic cars that we represent in game. He helped us refine the experience to what we have today. 
I think that's one of the most honest answer from game-dev-prod I've ever read in my life. 

This is how devs should dooo it




Link to comment
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:
Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)
https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:
Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)
https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.
Looks like your car looked at its rolling tyres and wanted to join in the fun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:
Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)
https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.
Phone-on-a-stick guy better upload that video, I want to see that perspective.  :D

I love the way the cars "catch" on the ground and spin when they roll sideways now. In DR rolls never looked quite right.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:
Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)
https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.
What I find interesting is how far down the road you go before rolling. How confused did it make you?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JZStudios said:
urgaffel said:
Well I just fell victim to @urgaffel 's Revenge.
An extremely low-flying drone took my concentration away long enough for me to roll the R2 Fiesta.

7 times.
Nice roll :D

I look forward to people finding the real easter eggs :)
https://youtu.be/nHBeBbzuS9g

Here's the roll. 
The PS4's record function is a great feature.
What I find interesting is how far down the road you go before rolling. How confused did it make you?
Hah pretty confused. When you are in dashcam mode it was so close I thought i would hit it. I said to myself "wtf?" and completely missed hearing that Left 4 call.

Also, I was day-drinking, so... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coffee didn't hit in yet, wrong thread nevermind.

Some gossip...Some gossip...Some gossip...

P.S. Pretty good sum up on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6fpzb2/dirt_4_as_seen_by_average_dirt_rally_player/
Link to comment
Share on other sites

versedi said:
Coffee didn't hit in yet, wrong thread nevermind.

Some gossip...Some gossip...Some gossip...

P.S. Pretty good sum up on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6fpzb2/dirt_4_as_seen_by_average_dirt_rally_player/

Best review I've read so far thanks. Disappointed that hear you can't just do an any car any stage, but that might just be me misinterpreting. Rest sounds good or what I was expecting (re: Your Stage) and, unlike all these press reviews that don't answer any of my questions, this covers what I wanted to know.

Pre-order going in, but hopes and expectations tempered somewhat.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thats probably what i seen on wales i seen a group of some animal but i was going too fast to see :D . i wonder what other animals we can run over :p

seen the drone a few times nearly dinged off the car.really good touch.my fav is the low flying helicopter and its so low that is stirs all the dust. B)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rygar86 said:
DiRT 4 - Simulation VS Gamer Handling (Australia) w/Thrustmaster Wheel Cam 

Big difference in stage times between Sim and Gamer mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UMcFqJC_Y


the thing is if you pushing as fast as you can go you will be faster if you can drive  well in sim mode.maybe with having a few of the things off actually made him slower due to the handling is harder.so arcade suited him.

i did a track with just a couple of added things in sim mode and i was about 3 seconds slower.so all of sim mode .
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dgeesi0 said:
Rygar86 said:
DiRT 4 - Simulation VS Gamer Handling (Australia) w/Thrustmaster Wheel Cam 

Big difference in stage times between Sim and Gamer mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UMcFqJC_Y


the thing is if you pushing as fast as you can go you will be faster if you can drive  well in sim mode.maybe with having a few of the things off actually made him slower due to the handling is harder.so arcade suited him.

i did a track with just a couple of added things in sim mode and i was about 3 seconds slower.so all of sim mode .
There is a big difference between assisted sim mode and gamer. You can brake later, turn in later, carry more speed through corners in gamer. A quick person in gamer should be faster, no doubt.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have witnessed bunnies!                                           

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJeRw4EKuM

Awesome. I spotted a flock of bright green parrots fly across me in Australia at sunset today.
Love these details.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@KickUp:
Already (pre)downloading via steam.
Is the Day One Update already included or will it load the new files on friday?
I'm asking because the internet is much faster here at the office (33,2 GB in 1h) - so I would leave my PC here until friday.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My eyes bleed from reading Metro.co.uk review.

DiRT 4’s approach is immediately disappointing because instead of a clever blend of realism and arcade stylings the game starts with a very blunt proposition: do you want to play in ‘Simulation’ or ‘Gamer’ mode? The latter is described as only playing for fun, as if fun was a dirty word and not something realistic race games should also aspire to. Maybe some people do feel that way, but they’ve already got DiRT Rally and the attitude poisons DiRT 4’s attempts to carve its own identity.
There’s some interesting management elements, where you have to balance the books, deal with advertisers, and hire and fire staff, but it’s all a bit by-the-numbers and lacking in pizazz


What? It's a f***** rally game, not a Pizza Syndicate SimFarm.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Don't read it. Waste of time.


Codemasters would’ve been much better off either making DiRT Rally 2 or ensuring DiRT 4 was a full-on arcade racer from the start.


But then he goes with Pros:


Pros: The Simulation handling model is great and there’s plenty of content in terms of modes and randomly-generated tracks. Gamer mode is less distinctive but very accessible.


Schizophrenia?






Link to comment
Share on other sites

LutzM said:
@KickUp:
Already (pre)downloading via steam.
Is the Day One Update already included or will it load the new files on friday?
I'm asking because the internet is much faster here at the office (33,2 GB in 1h) - so I would leave my PC here until friday.

There will still be a little something to grab but it will be around 500Mb - 1Gb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have witnessed bunnies!                                           

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJeRw4EKuM

Awesome. I spotted a flock of bright green parrots fly across me in Australia at sunset today.
Love these details.
Ahem! That would be budgies.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

bogani said:
dgeesi0 said:
Rygar86 said:
DiRT 4 - Simulation VS Gamer Handling (Australia) w/Thrustmaster Wheel Cam 

Big difference in stage times between Sim and Gamer mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UMcFqJC_Y


the thing is if you pushing as fast as you can go you will be faster if you can drive  well in sim mode.maybe with having a few of the things off actually made him slower due to the handling is harder.so arcade suited him.

i did a track with just a couple of added things in sim mode and i was about 3 seconds slower.so all of sim mode .
There is a big difference between assisted sim mode and gamer. You can brake later, turn in later, carry more speed through corners in gamer. A quick person in gamer should be faster, no doubt.
You're right, you can drive much much quicker in gamer mode and 
commit to corners 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

tbtstt said:
Anyone with a Tesco pre-order had a dispatch notification yet?...
No :( Not looking likely for me getting it tomorrow, I guess I shall be waiting until at least Sunday to play (assuming it comes before then) as I'm away Friday and Saturday
Yeah, I'm getting worried that it won't show up before the weekend. My missus is working this weekend, so I had two days of undisturbed gaming planned.

Starting to think I should have resisted the lure of the steelbook edition now and gone with the regular edition and express delivery from Amazon!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for @urgaffel ; in regards to the broken down competitors we sometimes have to pass cautiously, will we ever see different kinds of wrecks?
It'd be cool to see a car upside down in a ditch, or missing a tyre which you also must avoid? That would definitely grab my attention.

Is that a possibility or will it always be the same, just smoking on the roadside?.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im still wondering if any D4 players might have an opinion to offer on the lateral grip levels.
Heard some people that are playing say that there is too much lateral grip but what Id like to know is

1) Do you agree with this?
2) If so, is this worse than in Dirt Rally or is it improved?
3) What do you think about grip levels in general on gravel?

Cheers :smiley:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question for @urgaffel ; in regards to the broken down competitors we sometimes have to pass cautiously, will we ever see different kinds of wrecks?
It'd be cool to see a car upside down in a ditch, or missing a tyre which you also must avoid? That would definitely grab my attention.

Is that a possibility or will it always be the same, just smoking on the roadside?.
calling @KickUp... :)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:
Question for @urgaffel ; in regards to the broken down competitors we sometimes have to pass cautiously, will we ever see different kinds of wrecks?
It'd be cool to see a car upside down in a ditch, or missing a tyre which you also must avoid? That would definitely grab my attention.

Is that a possibility or will it always be the same, just smoking on the roadside?.
calling @KickUp... :)
Not a possibility at the moment based on how the cars are placed. One to improve on in the future.

We do control how much their retirement encroaches on the stage itself though so you may find some cars are quite in the way.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Codemasters Staff
versedi said:
So @CMMcBabe just confirmed that the release is worldwide at 0:00 BST 9th June.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/6fs2du/play_dirt_4_before_release_in_eu/dikkn51/

No VPN this time...








I confirmed it is coming out at the same time everywhere, I did not call out a time.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

CMMcBabe said:
I wasn't 100% sure if we had said a time or not, I did not want to be the one making an unintended announcement!

Christina's time is correct.
it still says that it will be out on the 10th on steam when looking fom new zealand, 00:00 bst on the 9th is 11am nz time on the 9th so whats up with that?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rygar86 said:
Im still wondering if any D4 players might have an opinion to offer on the lateral grip levels.
Heard some people that are playing say that there is too much lateral grip but what Id like to know is

1) Do you agree with this?
2) If so, is this worse than in Dirt Rally or is it improved?
3) What do you think about grip levels in general on gravel?

Cheers :smiley:


From my point of view, it depens on the car and the type of car you are using. Yesterday I tried the Alpine on rain in wales and the car was very grippy but I think the weight of the car played a major. I also tried fiesta r5 and again it was grippy but like a WRC car in Dirt Rally. The Rallycross feels amazing, way better than in Dirt Rally. I think that overall, it may be a little more grippy than Dirt Rally but not by much. Then again, they worked with Kris Meeke to developp the handling so I think that what we have in Dirt 4 is maybe near reality. Sorry for my english im french canadian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Fiesta R5 is a joy, the car squatting at the front under braking and spinning the back round just feels so right with getting the car in the right direction!
Exactly, in Dirt Rally I was always using the handbrake to rotate the car but in dirt 4 you don't need it, you just have to brake at the right time and the car will rotate into the corner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to DiRTy Gossip
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • This topic was featured and unpinned
  • The topic was unpinned
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...