Jump to content Jump to content

Block seems like a nice guy and good at what he does (gymkhana), but the fans speak of him as some kind of rally god. But really he was mediocre at best in WRC events. So that was obnoxious, and then he was showed in everyones face when DiRT 3 featured him heavily, which annoyed more people. (with all the dudebro gymkhana stuff when people bought dirt for rallying)

Also, game going from paying tribute to Colin McRae to advertising Ken Block, bit offending to rally fans dont you think.

( maybe that was bit too hostile, but few viewpoints on the matter)
gheeD said:
Block seems like a nice guy and good at what he does (gymkhana), but the fans speak of him as some kind of rally god.
I would say that "mainstream" fans swallow what is put out by Blocks PR team and believe him to be the best driver in the world. More serious rally fans know better. Blocks marketing is a double edge sword: he brings rally content to the mainstream (which is a good thing I would say), but the way it's delivered does seem to alienate him to some rally fans (which of course is a bad thing).

To anyone who isn't keen on Block then I would urge you to watch this: 

https://youtu.be/Vg2c7Pp7H0Q

It's a good interview and may sway your opinion on Block. By his own admission he isn't the best rally driver in the world, but he has managed to get himself into a position where he gets paid to drive with the best drivers in the world. Although you may not agree with the hype surrounding him, he has bought rally (and rallycross) to a bigger audience and for that I applaud him. 

As for DiRT 3, I thought it had significantly less dude-bro-ness than DiRT 2. I would agree that gymkhana was overly used into the career mode, but I'm not sure it's fair to blame that on Block. 
most of it is how he has been marketed. those who arnt that informed just assume he is one of the best of something he isnt.

my main reason i don't like him is the loud in your face which if im honest is probably just the marketing persona but the stigma of him being great and then watching rally drivers destroy him while not even trying.

some even slowing to let him catch up lol.then still not winning then you see people worshiping him.

he does his gymkhana stuff well but he isnt the best at rally so shouldn't get the rally headline or titles.

Ok, look at this video from 17.30. What an awesome job codies did with capturing the look/feel of Greece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqmC9irRfA&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMKqmC9irRfA&has_verified=1
cjl9 said:
JZStudios said:
Seriously though, can someone explain to me why everyone hates Block so much?
If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand anyway.
Seeing how your talking for everyone, why don't you explain it then?
Others have explained it better than I could: see posts above.

BTW it's "you're" not "your" in your post. Grammar Nazi.
So, everyone whines about Block because he does Gymkhana, which CM added into 3, a game he wasn't really actually a huge part in, which confuses me when everyone says block ruined 3, when him and Pastrana where heavily prominent in 2. The fans are apparently also crazy for him whn he does jump drifts around San Fran and Dubai, and he has a good time. I mean, sure maybe that promo picture is a little doucheish, but hey, two women, fast car and champagne? I'll take that. Rather have a guy that puts on a promo act of hyping up the fans than a guy who's a flaming asshole and tells everyone to go ..... themselves. Maybe that's just me. Block seems like a cool guy to hang around, regardless of whether or not he's the fastest.
And I can understand him.
The dudebroness was indeed more prominent in Dirt 2, but at least they didn't shove any Gymkhana down your throat, and the spirit of rallying was still in the game.

I myself don't like Ken Block's stunt promo thing videos, I honestly don't see why people get excited about them... but like I said, I don't hate the guy. I just think Dirt 3 would have been a lot better game, like 1000% better, if he wasn't part of it.
JZStudios said:
which confuses me when everyone says block ruined 3, when him and Pastrana where heavily prominent in 2.
Ditto! I found the stupid driver comments during the races in DiRT 2 incredibly irritating, far more than any content in DiRT 3 (apart from Christian Stephenson). 

The origins of the gymkhana videos are mentioned in the interview that I posted earlier. Given that the first video was almost completely happenstance, it's pretty incredible to see how viewed the series is now. At this point they are perhaps a little repetitive but, much like his career, I admire Block for getting paid to thrash highly modified AWD cars around in public! 

I think it was a latter Drive interview (or possibly elsewhere) where Block mentions that he isn't fan of the public exposure, but it's a necessary evil to get the backing that he does. He has also mentioned that, as stage rally doesn't draw as much exposure, he has to do other things in order to get the backing for the limited stage rallies that he participates in. 
The dudebroness was indeed more prominent in Dirt 2, but at least they didn't shove any Gymkhana down your throat, and the spirit of rallying was still in the game.

I myself don't like Ken Block's stunt promo thing videos, I honestly don't see why people get excited about them... but like I said, I don't hate the guy. I just think Dirt 3 would have been a lot better game, like 1000% better, if he wasn't part of it.
You don't get excited at seeing a 600hp Mustang sling around a lightpole at 60mph? Damn, iron stomach much I guess Porky.
I still like the empty lot in 3 to mess about in, I don't even remember Block really being in the game, and since I bought DR I've put more time in 3. The forced Gymkhana events were the only things that sucked, it should've been a secondary career or something rather than making it forced. And I don't believe that was part of blocks agreement to have to force Gymkhana on people. Seems like a Codies decision, so the game would've been the same regardless.
JZStudios said:
It's because he an extremely gifted marketeer and gets attention for what people feel is the "wrong reason". They see him driving in rally as a cultural appropriation of sorts, designed to sell energy drinks at the expense of the sport.

People have formed an opinion on him based on his brand and marketing without ever actually listening to him talk. Because once you do hear him talk you realize he is a very chill, humble, family man that is simply happy he is successful enough to pursue his passion.

This thread proves my point, the narrative is that he thinks he is god's gift to driving, yet when he participated in a handful of WRC rounds, his interviews showed that he was completely realistic about his chances in the series and was simply thankful for the opportunity to drive with some of the best drivers in the world.

Then again, as it was pointed out earlier, I am probably just too dumb to understand.
enamel said:
JZStudios said:

People have formed an opinion on him based on his brand and marketing without ever actually listening to him talk. Because once you do hear him talk you realize he is a very chill, humble, family man that is simply happy he is successful enough to pursue his passion.

This thread proves my point, the narrative is that he thinks he is god's gift to driving, yet when he participated in a handful of WRC rounds, his interviews showed that he was completely realistic about his chances in the series and was simply thankful for the opportunity to drive with some of the best drivers in the world.

Then again, as it was pointed out earlier, I am probably just too dumb to understand.
Thats not true. Everyone here who replied said he doesnt seem like a bad guy, its just his fame and the fans who are causing irritation. And him kinda ruining dirt by taking it in the gymkhana direction. But nobody is saying any of the things you mentioned.