Jump to content Jump to content

I don't dislike Ken Block, I dislike American-style in-your-face brotitude (best exemplified in D2). I like what I've seen of Block's personality in his interviews, I like that he competes when he can, I like his gymkhana videos since they're basically non-stop stunt driving (3 is still my fave).

I don't even particularly care one or way or the other that gymkhana was in D3—that was a CM decision, not Block's. And we still got DR. I just don't like hearing "dude" and "stoked" and looking at day-glo inflatable airmen. Same criticisms apply to the Forza Horizon games: great driving, repellent brostival presentation.
And here i am, imagining B.J. Baldwin named Trophy Truck racing game... Could be fun. That's something i was surprised to see mostly missing from DiRT 3.

My bigger gripe above the kinda shoved in face Gymkhana was that just how slow the menu's were due to dudebroness, especially the first hours being UNSKIPPABLE.
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
which confuses me when everyone says block ruined 3, when him and Pastrana where heavily prominent in 2.
Ditto! I found the stupid driver comments during the races in DiRT 2 incredibly irritating, far more than any content in DiRT 3 (apart from Christian Stephenson). 

The origins of the gymkhana videos are mentioned in the interview that I posted earlier. Given that the first video was almost completely happenstance, it's pretty incredible to see how viewed the series is now. At this point they are perhaps a little repetitive but, much like his career, I admire Block for getting paid to thrash highly modified AWD cars around in public! 

I think it was a latter Drive interview (or possibly elsewhere) where Block mentions that he isn't fan of the public exposure, but it's a necessary evil to get the backing that he does. He has also mentioned that, as stage rally doesn't draw as much exposure, he has to do other things in order to get the backing for the limited stage rallies that he participates in. 
I think this is what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/Vg2c7Pp7H0Q

Not fond of the host, but decent questions.  

I did have a short conversation with him at a rally a couple of years back, nice guy answered my questions respectfully.  I Also watched him at a service stop, he waved at the fans, talked to trch, and grabbed his kids and hugged them, his wife was waiting at the door of the travel trailer with food.  

This didnt appear as an act, it was just nice a quick glimps at family life.  The guy puts a lot on his plate to do what he loves, but to do that there are a lot marketing relationships he has to satisfy, Dubai was just a place he wanted to make a cool video, there is a sponcer relationship there.  

Since he isnt a WRC legend he actually has to work pretty hard behind the scenes to keep the business running.  No discredit to any WRC driver, but in the US there isnt a club rally organization to rise through and train for the WRC as there is in EU.  Its amazing that he has been able to compete at all coming from here.

It is a hard tackle to deal with both business and a motorsport discipline which costs him a lot financially to keep up with, and of course to remain prominently admired by his fans and to keep his image immaculate from being labeled with failures but to be a prominent source of entertainment. Maybe if he keeps up with his own driving style, he would never make it alive in WRC or rallying as general. WRC mainly requires discipline not thrashing as @tbtstt mentioned then of course his die-hard fans are the type that require violence for their desires to be fulfilled, which is indeed an effective way for promoting and marketing AND Ken Block is obviously a businessman for that he is more inclined to business than to passion.
bogani said:
bogani said:
Oooo If CM ever do a standalone RX game it surely will be named Liam Doran Rallycross!
I wouldn't imagine so, not after his recent drunken behaviour and sacking from JRM!
Well, that was kinda the point ;)
Ah, sorry, difficult to read sarcasm on the Internet!
They could include a mini game in there. Being Liam Doran in a third person action game, running around being an ass at Gatebil creating a mess. The last mission is to hide from the police. Under a car.
enamel said:

It's because he an extremely gifted marketeer and gets attention for what people feel is the "wrong reason". They see him driving in rally as a cultural appropriation of sorts, designed to sell energy drinks at the expense of the sport.

People have formed an opinion on him based on his brand and marketing without ever actually listening to him talk. Because once you do hear him talk you realize he is a very chill, humble, family man that is simply happy he is successful enough to pursue his passion.

This thread proves my point, the narrative is that he thinks he is god's gift to driving, yet when he participated in a handful of WRC rounds, his interviews showed that he was completely realistic about his chances in the series and was simply thankful for the opportunity to drive with some of the best drivers in the world.

Then again, as it was pointed out earlier, I am probably just too dumb to understand.
I would say you've got it spot on!
JZStudios said:

You don't get excited at seeing a 600hp Mustang sling around a lightpole at 60mph?
800+ BHP! ;)  
bogani said:
Oooo If CM ever do a standalone RX game it surely will be named Liam Doran Rallycross!
OUCH. 

gfRally said:

I think this is what you are looking for.

https://youtu.be/Vg2c7Pp7H0Q
I already posted that one on the last page @gfRally! :smiley: There was another interview where he covered the same subject in more detail, I'll have to have a search later on. 
gfRally said:

@tbtstt  oops! sorry, bud                               
Haha, no worries @gfRally! I always remember that video, as it's my go to when trying to convince people that Block doesn't believe his own marketing! :smiley:

I have never spoken to Block directly, but I had a very limited interaction with him at Loheac a couple of years back. I was at the track the day after the rallycross weekend and Block was testing. I had a brief lurk around the Monster tent and tried to get the attention of someone relevant. I was told by one of the mechanics that he probably wouldn't be signing stuff  while in and out of the car, but they asked what I had with me: which is when I showed them my copy of "Easier Said Than Done". The mechanic seemed rather surprised to see that and said he would take it over. Block signed it immediately, was pointed in my direction and actually acknowledged me: guess he was surprised to see someone at a French event with it as well! 

There was a brief chat between a few members of the team and a woman came out and handed the DVD back to me. She told me that Matt Johnston was actually filming at the circuit that day. She took my picture as she said Matt would be keen to see a copy of his film had made it to Europe. Never did see any footage of his from the testing though, so I don't know what he was shooting for: I'm also rather glad that picture never of me saw the light of day, as it was probably awful, haha! 
So am I the only one here who actually quite enjoyed the driver comments in DiRT 2? Well, apart from few highly generic and repetitive ones, mainly from the less known ones. It was proper racing after all, not just trying beat a time set by others (in Rally you didn't had those comments), so kind of having occasional comments through the "Intercom" was a rather refreshing thing, compared to the usual "super serious mode".

My favourite comments were in Trailblazer though, when they would crash out and I would be like "Haha, NOOB!" after which I then proceed to crash on the very same corner and be like "F%^K" :D

The worst thing ever to come to DiRT franchise was not Gymkhana though... it was those wretched comments after every single Lord Bahamut damn it stage/race/event in DiRT 3. And they went for ages and ages and ages and even more ages about always the same thing. Just to point out, I finished DiRT 3 twice... with 100% completion. Those annoying comments still haunt me at night xD
The worst thing ever to come to DiRT franchise was not Gymkhana though... it was those wretched comments after every single Lord Bahamut damn it stage/race/event in DiRT 3. And they went for ages and ages and ages and even more ages about always the same thing. Just to point out, I finished DiRT 3 twice... with 100% completion. Those annoying comments still haunt me at night xD
Yep. That was the voice of Christian Stevenson. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time but,  in my personal opinion, it was the most un-rad decision Codemasters made with DiRT 3. 

(As an aside, Stevenson has done the live commentary for the Arenacross events the last couple of years: he is just as cringe inducing live as he is in game)
Since not much is happening in the gossip department, here's a snippet from a regular whine thread on the steam forums:

christina.mcgrath  [utvecklare] 1 timme sedan 
I know it's a little frustrating for those of you who want more content/support/info ASAP, but honestly: good things will come to those who wait (or who, at the hand of tight-lipped devs, are forced to wait).

While what I can say is severely limited by all the stuff I'm under strict instruction to keep under wraps (alas, that's the case for a good handful of threads!) we're watching and listening to everyone's feedback. What we're channeling that feedback into...